February 11, 2008 04:56 PM by Jennifer_Brown
ABC proved with iconic game show, The Newlywed Game, that they know how to make newly married couples a television hit.Now ABC is bringing a new newlywed game to the airwaves — this time in the form of reality TV.
Here Come the Newlyweds is described as a romantic comedy realityseries, and pits seven newly married couples against one another to compete for a several hundred thousand dollar nest egg.
Hosted by comedian Pat Bullard, Here Come the Newlyweds is”all about relationships, the differences between men and women, and the universal issues that every couple must face.” The competing couples are diverse, including high school sweethearts, a couple who fell in love at first site, an arranged marriage, and even a pair of divorcees, married for the fourth time.
The challenges, designed to test the couples physically, emotionally, and mentally include such tasks as being blindfolded and having to tell which kiss belongs to their spouse or driving, blindfolded, while following the directions of their spouse.
The couples vying for the nest egg are:
* Fawziah & Atif Bajwa – An arranged marriage, this couple had only one date before their wedding, which lasted three days and had over 500 guests. Hometown: Cincinnati, Ohio.
* Dawn & Cody Freis – Cody, an airplane pilot, fell head-over-heels in love with Dawn the day he met her. To be together as much as possible, Dawn quit her job to become a flight attendant. Hometown: Denver, Colorado.
* Heather & Lance Holmes – Lance told Heather’s girlfriend that he was going to marry her the moment he saw her. They both professed their love to each other after only three months. Hometown: Middletown, Ohio.
* Kaia & Thomas Jacobi – Since they worked at the same company, Kaia and Thomas kept their romance a secret. Kaia’s father is a reverend and insisted that Thomas be baptized. Hometown: Washington, D.C.
* Dana & Steve Krashin – They were high school sweethearts and dated 11 years before they got married. Since they have been together for so long, Dana thinks Steve should have ESP and know all her thoughts by now. Hometown: New York.
* Crystal & Johnnie Moutra – Johnnie proposed to Crystal at a Houston Rockets basketball game. They live with his parents and 10 other relatives in one house. Hometown: Missouri City, Texas.
* Toni & Barry Woodward – Combined, this is their seventh marriage which they say is their lucky number. They never touched, kissed or hugged before they were married. Hometown: Deer Park, Texas.
Here Come the Newlyweds will premiere on Sunday, March 12, 10:00 PM (ET) on ABC.
Photo Courtesy: ABC