Survivor: Coach Ben Wade Crack Pot Or Crook?

March 04, 2009 06:00 PM by Paulene Hinds

SURVIVOR: TOCANTINA

Survivor: Tocantins season 18 is well underway and one contestant in particular has been drawing negative attention to himself both on and off the show. “Coach” Ben Wade is being called a manipulator and egotistical guy on more than a few message boards and for good reason, check out the information sent to us below!

On Survivor: Tocantins,Ben Wadeclaims he must “surround himself with integrity”, yet according to one viewer of the hitCBS show,he has been caught in more than one lie recently including lying about holding the world’s record for a solo kayaking trip. No record has been recorded on either Google or Wikipedia.

Ben Wadealso claims on his websitethat he survived a hurricane withmammoth wavesand that at the top of a 30 foot wave, “God” spoke to him and saved him. The area he claims he survived the hurricane is the Mexican port of Portolabombo which according to the viewer,is not ahurricane ravagedarea and hasonly recordedone tropical storm since 1939.

Ben Wade received his name “Coach”because he coach’s young girls soccer teams and recently he was fired from his postitionbecause he reported to theschool he worked for, thathe was leaving to go for “cancer tests” when he was reallycompetiting on this season’s Survivor. He also claims that God has called him to do the show after he prayed about it.

Ben Wade, told the newspaper he was fired from his position as the head coach of Southwest Baptist University’s women’s soccer team because “the administration felt like Survivor was me going to Hollywood.”

Brent Good, SBU’s athletic director had something different to say about the incident though.He told the News-Leader,”He said he was going to be gone for a week and the week went beyond that, which went beyond that, which went beyond that.”

According to Brent Good, Ben Wade left the team with two weeks left in the season on October 22and did not return to the school until December 17.

“Coach Wade’s a good coach,” Brent Good told the News-Leader. “I think the choice he made to do what he did was not done in the right way. With that, there’s a consequence with it. Unfortunately, that consequence is that his contract is not renewed, and he’s no longer here.”

Ben Wade did not seem upset about the situation thoughand used his positiveattitude to assess the situation stating, “This has opened up a whole new world to me.”He added,”I loved being myself on camera. There’s going to be a lot of interest from the show in who I was and what I did. I’m definitely excited about that.”

The most shockingclaim that has just been reported, is that Ben Wade has an auction on eBay and is claiming that all proceeds froma “win a date with coach” auction will be donated to kids that have cancer. The bidding starts at $5,000 and the eBay auction states, “This is for real and for the kids that have Cancer and need you HELP NOW!” No charity is listed however, which makes one wonder if the money will indeed reach its intended destination.

What do you think about the allegations against Coach Ben Wade? Isthe guy acrack pot or a crook? Come join our reality TV message boards and have your say about it all!

For other great Survivor: Tocantins news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: Survivor Tocantins. Discuss on our reality TV message boards. You can also read more about each of this season’s contestants by checking out our Survivor bios page.

Photo Credit: CBS

Topics: CBS Reality TV Shows, Survivor |

34 Responses to “Survivor: Coach Ben Wade Crack Pot Or Crook?”

1. jumpingbum Says:
    March 4th, 2009 at 10:43 pm

Ben Wade did not post himself for auction on ebay. An old well meaning friend did that. The man’s name is Didier Blanquart and he has a very interesting personality.

What I’m saying is, don’t blame Ben for the actions of others. This sometimes happens with celebrities. The Ben Wade I know is a man of integrity and would not have okayed this.

2. Didier Says:
    March 7th, 2009 at 2:11 am

OMW.. Lets go! what a Croc of “S–T” I see about Ben Wade on this Website Mmmm very Interesting.

I am “Didier” the Ebay Guy!
    CBS should pick me up for survivor #19, I would blow the SURVIVOR Ratings sky up. Because I am a Trip with a big heart.

Thank You Jumpingbum AKA Tania. Very Well said Tania you told 99.9% of the Truth. and thank you for putting my full name in this website. But Dam it Girl my phone is ringing off the line.

PS: He doesn’t smoke POT,or Crack I am an Ex K9-Officer. Ben Wade a Crook NO WAY. The Crocks are them Dam Talent hunters via survivor website ( took my survivor Audition $$$ and run with it) back to Wade, But he will find a way to go around things in Life and work to help others needs 1st then him self. That is what a real COACH is all about ( To Win at all cost for his Team )

I tell you one thing, its a Reality Show and many have been hurt from this all.. and some one is making $$$$ from this all CBS and all there clients..

Put me in the next #19 survivor and the $1ml cheq if I win with the people help. I will sign it over to the kids with Cancer, and we will let the Survivor FANS on this website decide and vote what Charity it should go too!

I said my Peace, now I am waiting on CBS to call me up and take on this Challenge on, Yeah BABY.

Didier <

3. Ashes2Ashes Says:
    March 15th, 2009 at 2:45 pm

Wow Paulene Hinds is the most gullable person alive. You actually believe this stuff? You believe the editors of Survivor who want Coach to look like the bad guy? In every case, you automatically believe his enemies before you believe him? Now that’s fantastic impartial journalism. NOT!!!

Coach did set the world record for kayaking, verified by three of his trip sponsors (who had to verify it was for real before he was linked to their product). It was posted on Wikipedia in his biography but one of the administrators was another Coach-hater, just like you, and deleted the article. Besides, do you actually believe everything on Wikipedia???

Your reasoning for doubting him is “according to one viewer?” So if one person says Coach is a liar then it’s automatically true? Wow, incredible work Paulene. Well I’m one person. I say you robbed a bank, so I guess it’s true now.

No wonder you’re a blogger and not actually working for a real newspaper. The real problem is that other gullable believe your crap (and everything else they read on the Internet) and innocent people are falsely accused in the process.

It’s well documented that Hurricane Cesar passed through Central America in July of 1996, the same time Coach was kayaking through the area. Again, great research Paulene.

You claim the location was Portolabombo. Such a city doesn’t even exist!!! Google it. Oh, that must have been too much trouble for you. Someone invented the name of that port on a blog about Survivor to make Coach look bad. GULLABLE!!!

I also love the way you describe how Coach works with “young girls.” Most coaches of college women’s soccer are male, not female, you idiot! He coaches because he loves the game, not because he’s after the girls. But since you were a nerd in high school, you don’t follow sports so you wouldn’t understand that would you?

I happen to know that you work with “young” elementary school children. Oh well, I guess that automatically makes you a child molester. Shame on you Paulene.

I also enojoyed your bull about Coach getting fired. Athletic Director Brent Good actually knew Coach was on Survivor, but he lied to the press to cover himself. And of course, you automatically believed Brent Good over Coach because you just believe what you want to believe, don’t you?

Coach never told anyone he had cancer. This was a rumor spread by students on campus during his absence. If you know anything about college students, you know that rumors can spread fast. Especially the most extreme ones.

Thank you extremely gullable Paulene Hinds, and all of her followers who believe this load of crap!

4. Christine Navratil Says:
    March 16th, 2009 at 7:24 am

People send us news, we choose to post it or not. People choose, like us, to believe it or not. Just because we post something, doesn’t mean we believe it. For someone to be so angry over Paulene’s report of “Coach” you have to ask…are you one of the “young girls” he coaches? We said nothing about molestation or anything going on that was fishy…what exactly are YOU trying to insinuate?? LOL

5. Paulene Hinds Says:
    March 16th, 2009 at 7:43 am

I run a program for elementary school kids in my hometown, good research, but you missed that it is a volunteer position. I actually work in the high school system.

I was also a cross country running nerd in high school with a male and female coach. My cheerleading coach was female and my volleyball coach a male.

Maybe I should do a follow-up story on Coach this week letting everyone know that CBS confirmed my earlier report last Thursday during the broadcast of Survivor announcing that Coach did NOT tell his employer that he was going on the show and was subsiquently fired from his position.

6. jumpingbum Says:
    March 17th, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Hey Paulene, :)

I think there are plenty of people out there who would love to hear more about Ben Wade. I think if you use a more balanced approach and look at the philosophy at SBU and then start asking about Ben’s coaching philosophy you might find out those who care about him are so enthusiastic.

Didier, I’m sorry for any problems I caused. :( I really am, and I think you’re a good example of one of Ben’s fans You are enthusiastic, and optimistic about Ben. :)

Think about it Paulene. Remember that the folks under control of Mark Burnett are editors and have to make the show interesting. Maybe they’re leaving stuff out of the show that would paint a different picture of Ben Wade?

There’s information out there that would even allow you to contact him personally and do a (gasp) interview at some point… You might find him to be a good guy… Just a thought…

7. Christine Navratil Says:
    March 17th, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Jumpingbum,

Paulene was not trying to make stuff up to “hurt” Ben Wade, she was simply reporting news that was sent to us and that was floating around the internet. We actually are looking very forward to interviewing Coach! We are part of the interview team every Friday after the show when the person who is kicked out of the tribe talks to the press. Our Survivor writer will also be on hand at the finale and get to do one on one interviews with the top 4-5 Survivor contestants. Hopefully he makes it that far and we are able to talk to him.

8. jumpingbum Says:
    March 17th, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Ms. Navratil,
    With all due respect to Ms. Hinds I found more information “floating around the internet.” on the Internet that paints an entirely different picture of Mr. Wade than the one she painted. I found out how to contact him if I needed to do so. I found out that those who know him and his work find him to be honest, gentle and truthful.

If a “civilian” such as myself can dig a little deeper, I think a “seasoned” journalist should be able to do the same and do so LONG before Mr. Wade is “voted out” unless there is some kind of law against doing another piece on Mr. Wade before that time. Ms. Hinds has based her piece on the editing that CBS has done to sell the show. How about doing a piece on the conductor, the athlete and the SOCCER coach that he is instead of the Villain that CBS has decided to paint him as? Or is objective journalism now passé?

By virtue of the fact that I have to sign on to leave a message here, I know that you have access to my email address.

Thank you for your time.

9. Christine Navratil Says:
    March 18th, 2009 at 6:47 am

It is great that we posted an article that got people jumping to one mans defense with so much passion and faith. The original article went up two weeks ago and it is still upsetting some. I am sure there has been a whole lot articles done on the topic of Coach in the last two weeks, since people started claiming that he is not who he says he is. That is how it would be with anyone. He is clearly an interesting contestant whether or not he is who he portrays himself to be. However, while a handful here are concerned about his public persona, at this point he has either not bothered to be bothered by it, simply doesn’t care, or maybe knows that there is some truth to it. We blog lightly on many different shows to keep our readers interested. By the responses to this article and some others we have done, we must be doing our job well. :) Again, we look forward to talking to Ben Wade when we get an opportunity. Thanks for all the great feedback!

10. jumpingbum Says:
    March 18th, 2009 at 2:09 pm

and I’d say that’s a MAJOR cop out.

“However, while a handful here are concerned about his public persona, at this point he has either not bothered to be bothered by it, simply doesn’t care, or maybe knows that there is some truth to it.”

I’d say you’re too lazy to do the actual work to find the truth.

11. Christine Navratil Says:
    March 18th, 2009 at 2:12 pm

Since you are so concerned about his reputation, why don’t you provide us links to great, verifiable information for us to create an article on. Thanks!

12. jumpingbum Says:
    March 18th, 2009 at 2:13 pm

you have my email address, EMAIL me. I am NOT putting that information on a PUBLIC forum. There, I’m done hinting around.

13. jumpingbum Says:
    March 18th, 2009 at 2:14 pm

I guard my friend’s information with my LIFE. If I have promised someone I will not give out information : I don’t give it out and I certainly don’t put it on a PUBLIC forum.

14. coachingwell Says:
    April 12th, 2009 at 3:29 pm

To Pauline and Christine,

I noticed that no one has posted a comment about your article on Ben Wade since March 18th with the last comment being from “jumpingbum.” I would like to let you know a little about “jumpingbum” so that her comments can be put in perspective.”jumpingbum” is a screen name for a woman who posts on many other boards using the same name. She claims to “know” Ben Wade but in reality she became somewhat obsessed with him after watching Survivor(apparently he claims to be a Christian and so does she). She set out to contact him by searching for a way to do so. She found the website where he is listed as a symphony conductor and either contacted him through the website or contacted someone else on the website asking them to pass the message along (not sure which). Ben Wade e-mailed her a short reply and she took that as a sign of instant friendship. She then began e-mailing him and after four short email responses from him she declared herself as “knowing” him. She has a semi-stalkerish obsession with him spending hours on the internet researching him and e-mailing him questions. It seems very important for her to be able to say that she has important information from him that she will guard with her LIFE.She has never met Ben Wade but interestingly calls him a friend.

Now I will tell you that I read the article and based on what I know of Ben Wade it is fully accurate. I actually have met him and know him and the article is probably very tame in comparison to what I know. The man on Survivor is exactly who he is in real life. Not only that but in real life there is so much dirt that COULD be dug up on him that hasn’t yet been dug up that you would have many more articles if you wanted them. It seems unlikely that anyone would really care about his private life however since most people will forget about him after Survivor is over. Except maybe “jumpingbum” who is holding on to her fantasies of being important in Ben Wade’s life. She is someone he will pacify with short e-mail notes so that she continues paying attention to him. Because of his narcissist tendencies he needs lots of attention on himself.He would even view having a stalker as being a sign that he was a real celebrity.

I also look forward to you talking with Ben Wade in person. I think you will find it to be highly entertaining. But be careful. You are females and the only way he knows how to relate to women is to sleep with them, demean them, use them or manipulate them.

15. jumpingbum Says:
    April 15th, 2009 at 6:03 pm

Wow, I love the “facts” you have listed here. I’d say you’re delusional. Instant friendship? WOW. That’s so far off it’s not even funny. I don’t consider ANYONE a friend until they acknowledge that. And Ben hasn’t. I think friendship is earned over TIME. Why do I write positive things about him? He’s a fellow Christian and he asked me to do so. (And since you claim to know him in person, please, ask him about that.) I would consider it an honor to be called a FRIEND of Ben Wade.

Myself? I have VERY few people I call friends. I have lots and lots of acquaintances. TONS. But my friends are people I trust with my heart. They don’t walk all over me. They understand and respect my beliefs as a born again Christian. Capiche, “coachingwell”?

I’d say you are probably Coachitwell on the CBS Survivor Site. The way you write is more like Survivor Arctic, Janitholemydolly and mikehaggarkj from survivor sucks. Why do I say that? Because you’re incredibly defensive and nasty.

All that said? “coachingwell” needs to get HER facts straight. I am a college student, I am married and I am NOT obsessed, but nice try. As far as being important in Ben Wade’s life, I am under no illusion that people will come and go in his life. What I HAVE done, as I said above, is make a few posts at HIS request (and, please, feel free to ask him about that) on various forum boards. Am I his official publicist? As much fun as that would be? No. I have signed no contract to that end. Would I like to be? Sure. I have told him so. In this economy a job would be welcome. However, MY goals are not in the circle of Hollyweird. I have relatives who work in the business (and have for OVER 20 years) and I want as little to do with it as possible.

Sounds contradictory, doesn’t it? I’ve watched Hollywood destroy a few people I care about. Ben Wade claims to be a Christian. He sure has acted that way toward me. We NEED good men for the cause of Christ. If a celebrity is out there who IS a Christian? People stop talking trash about folks like Ted Haggard and say things like “I know this guy who’s a Christian, couldn’t be nicer. He’s been through hell on earth and his faith in God as shown by his treatment of other people is unchanged.

So, I don’t know what I did to you for you to write that crap, but KNOCK IT OFF. It’s called LIBEL. In a gentler way: what goes around comes around. I was not a nice person about 3 years ago and I am STILL reaping the results of the ill will I sowed during that time. Just a suggestion.

Can I dig up dirt on Ben Wade? Sure. I can dig up dirt on just about anyone. Why? I have about 20 years experience in doing research. I’m very good at it even if I do say so myself. Would I dig up dirt and use it against him? No. I would ask someone I was trying to HELP.

Since you claim to know so much? Why aren’t you posting it or telling someone who could post it?

My guess? You’re angry with him because he hurt you or someone you know. I would suggest you contact him and tell him so. I think you might find that an apology is very quickly forthcoming. If it isn’t? Then Ben Wade isn’t the Christian he has told me and several other people (on tape) that he is.

And stop attacking the people who back him up. All that does is make you look incredibly bitter. It’s not attractive.

16. Paulene Hinds Says:
    April 15th, 2009 at 7:59 pm

It wasn’t attractive when the writer of this article was personally attacked either I must say, especially when it is my job to write articles based on information I am given. Just a point my dear. It doesn’t feel very nice now does it jumpingbum? I have yet to get all those good facts either to write a report to the contrary. Not very much on the web to report about coach Ben and all his wonderful accolades, just the same old stuff that was written in this article above!

17. horsewhispering Says:
    April 16th, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Ben Wade has a serious problem and coachingwell is right on the money. He has left behind more women than anyone can count. He uses lies, manipulation and deceit to pull them in and then discards them when he’s done with them.

And that man is NO Christian, it’s a convenient ruse.

Go coachingwell!

18. Ben Waid Says:
    April 16th, 2009 at 8:40 pm

Listen J-Bum,
    I know I’m super-hunky, have the best topknot of any non-asian walking the planet, have the tats to back up my street cred , and love the Lord Jebus like nobody’s business, but please consider this a cease and desist order. I am, of course, a practicing lawyer, along with my coaching of girls’ soccer and waving of batons jobs, so cut with the stalking already.
    In the name of the Wizard, Tibetan martial arts, and Jebus our Lord, cut it out already.
    Tired of reaping your results,
    The Maestro

19. streetboxx Says:
    May 15th, 2009 at 1:51 am

Frankly I don’t really care if coach really did do all of what he said he’s done. I’m a survivor fan and this is my favorite season because of Coach! He was very entertaining and probably the most interesting characters they have ever had. His storys were at least entertaining and made for great TV. See here is what u must understand, story telling is a real gift…. He’s got that gift. He reminds me of an indian chief telling great storys at a campfire. It doesn’t matter if they are true or not…. That’s not the point. It’s good fun and harmless. Lighten up and give this man a break. I was rooting for coach and still am! He should write an adventure novel.

Go coach! You got fans homie! Dust off the haters and enjoy your journey bro. You did great on survivor! You should be proud.

Do some capoetta at the reunion and go crazy with it! Shake things up! Hell do a rain dance! Really give them something to remember! I hate boring lame conservative people with no imaginations!

Boxx

20. Ben Waid Says:
    May 16th, 2009 at 7:06 pm

Thanks Boxx,
    Speaking of sage indian chiefs, that reminds me of the time I was trekking through the jungles of Columbia searching for the ever elusive Dendrobates Histrionicus. Ever in tune with the Great Maker I sensed tiny natives’ (three foot or so) eyes on me. It was my extreme fortune these natives (known as the Prevaricator Tribe, don’t bother looking it up, I’m the only white man to experience their hospitality) invited me to sup with them. We loaded up their tiny canoes and started out 1000 mile whitewater adventure. Passing through many , many different tribes’ territories was not something a normal man often has the spiritual , mental, physical , or emotional fortitude to accomplish, but after all I am the Dragon Slayer…The Warrior, The Equivocator!!! Quite a trip, and I can only type a few words explaining how absolutely, and what I can only describe as heroically, I possibly single handedly can be named as the man who saved the Prevaricator Tribe from certain doom and extinction. But take my word when I say I am fulfilled to go through such battles with truly epic warriors as myself. Gotta go coach a chicks’ soccer game , but I promise to tell the rest of this almost unbelievable tale of Coach Wade and his fellow Prevaricators involving tats, my cross, poison darts and some phylobates terribilis that turned out to save the Dragon Slayer’s neck…

TBC

Dragon Slayer

21. dtbristol Says:
    May 18th, 2009 at 6:41 pm

Those that think coach isn’t a liar are deluded. At one point he said he had scars all over his body. Another, he said he weighed in at 205 starting the game when it was actually, 180. Oh, and if you believe that pygmy story because he passed the lie detector test, I have a bridge to sell you. The man who gave the test is a known fraud.

22. Ben Waid Says:
    May 19th, 2009 at 9:57 pm

dtbristol,
    How dare you question the (slain) Dragon Slayer! One only has to view a picture of my worldly bod to view the many tats that are in-fact scars. Scars that chart my life’s adventure. Let’s not talk about the obvious emotional scars I bare, instilled by the playa-haters out there…
    205 lbs, (210, 220) whatever it takes, as my good friend Michael Keaton says… what’s a few kilos here or there between friends?
    Pygmies are wholly other story in and of itself. I believe I said “tiny little folk , about three feet tall” . Pygmies are from a different continent all together. Those that captured me were of the Prevaricator Tribe. Not limited to Africa.
    Speaking of bridges, that reminds me of the time I was consulted to help build the Bering Strait Crossing…

23. Paulene Hinds Says:
    May 20th, 2009 at 8:18 pm

Ben Waid you are indeed in need of psychiatric treatment. I believe they call your kind narcissistic.

24. Ben Waid Says:
    May 20th, 2009 at 9:22 pm

But Paulene, I’d argue I would be in need of a shrink if I did not love myself as I do. I mean come on , are you telling me that you are not in the least bit drawn to the Coach? I’ve yet to meat [sic] a lady who was not attracted in at least a few ways to this veritable melange of talented manmeat. Well, there was those few oddities who used to practise next to my girls on the soccer field. The girls’ golf team…never could figure those galls out…
    But I digress. Nothing wrong with a bit of self love. If you can’t love yourself, who can you love?

25. Paulene Hinds Says:
    May 21st, 2009 at 6:22 am

Sorry to burst your bubble coach, but I would rather go to the other team (if you know what I mean) than to be with you. I actually found it difficult to watch Survivor sometimes when you featured as you really creep me out! My kids did find your stories entertaining though and they even thought that perhaps you should write a book of your adventures, similar to Grizzly Adams. It would definately be entertaining for sure. I would give you an A+ for story telling. Maybe you should do an exclusive interview with realitytvmagazine and tell the world of some of the adventures you have been on that were left out on Survivor. You do have quite the following!

26. Paulene Hinds Says:
    May 21st, 2009 at 11:33 am

It is interesting how you have mispelled your own name too :)

27. Ben Waid Says:
    May 21st, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Just realized that spelling (mis) of my own name thing, did you Paulene? (usually spelled Pauline, BTW)
    What exactly is the clinical term for “lack of sense of humor?
    Did you really think the real Coach was posting here???

Also, look up terms “equivocator” and “Prevaricator”.

I would have thought this would have been all too evident…

All in good fun, and hopefully at the expense of that absolutely narcissistic Bozo Wade.

28. Ben Waid Says:
    May 21st, 2009 at 12:07 pm

Anyone in a seat of power and enabled to hand out jobs entailing writing articles to be used on this site, seems I have enough talent to fool the original author…at least in the short term…

29. Paulene Hinds Says:
    May 22nd, 2009 at 7:45 am

Living in the shadow of someone else are you? Have fun with that :)

30. Paulene Hinds Says:
    May 22nd, 2009 at 7:48 am

Fool yes…you must be looking in the mirror :) I haven’t a need to be an imposter. I actually love who I am in a non-narcissistic way :)

31. Paulene Hinds Says:
    May 22nd, 2009 at 7:48 am

I am as unique as my name spelling believe me :)

32. Ben Waid Says:
    May 27th, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Wow.
    First off Paulene, as stated, my intent was for some good natured fun (hopefully at the expense of the real Ben Wade. He obviously has some very dark issues).
    So, I’m going to chalk up the little personal attacks to your possible frustration over the fact that you did not catch on quite as soon as you would have liked to my little jokes.

Equivocator out.

33. shane Says:
    September 26th, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Coach Ben Wade…

what a lying, cheating and untrustworthy loser.

Be sure that I for one, despise you.

suck it up dragon slayer.

34. Lauren Goodrick Says:
    October 9th, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Can I just point out that Survivor is a GAME, a game of strategy usually some lying and stirring of the pot is involved. I personally am a fan of coach. He may not have handled how he told SBU of going on Survivor, but he’s human and everyone makes mistakes. Coach stands up for himself and takes the consequences of his actions. Someone once said, if you don’t have any enemies you haven’t stood up for anything.

Shane: I highly doubt that you haven’t ever done anything wrong in your life and their are some people who could call you names as well.

Comments