January 30, 2011 07:57 PM by Candace Young

On the Extreme Makeover Home Edition bus enroute to Wellman, Texas, Ty Pennington tells the other members of the design team about the Brown family, who lost their teen daughter, Alex, in a single vehicle accident when she was texting and driving while not wearing a seatbelt. Special guests Emma Roberts, Justin Bieber, and Nascar drivers Carl Edwards and Greg Biffle join the show on this special episode.  Read on for highlights…

The Brown family, which includes Johnny Mac, Jeanne, and surviving daughter, Katrina, age 12, are living in a double-wide trailer that is falling apart. Alex’s best friend, Amanda, joins the design team on the bus to go surprise the family at the high school, where they are giving a speech about the dangers of texting and driving.

They arrive at the high school, where Amanda prompts the crowd to lift up placards from under their seats – they read, “Good Morning Brown Family!” The Extreme Makeover Home Edition bus pulls up with Ty hollering in the bullhorn. The Brown family is amazed. Katrina thinks Alex is looking down on them.  Ty tells them they will not only build them a house, but help them spread their message further.

Ty spends time with Jeanne and Johnny Mac. At the accident site, Jeanne describes to Ty how she found her daughter’s wreck after she didn’t arrive at school on time.  Meanwhile, at the current house, Katrina cries as she talks to Paige about what it was like to lose her big sister.  Ty and the Browns arrive at the house, where Ty learns they want to take their campaign nationwide. Michael and Leigh Ann are extremely moved when they look at Alex’s room, which has been left just as it was. Jeanne shows them where Alex had written ‘I love you’ on a window with her finger – they’ve never washed it.

Ty gives the entire family a moment alone to say goodbye to Alex’s old room – it’s heartbreaking.

Back outside, the Browns meet the builders from Palm Harbor Homes and see all of the community volunteers, before leaving on their trip to New York City.

The Brown’s old mobile home is wheeled away and will be donated to Habitat for Humanity. Ty gets in touch with the family in New York City to introduce them to the new campaign – RAB (Remember Alex Brown) – and let them know they are having everyone sign a pledge to not text while driving.

As work begins on the new house, Leigh Ann works on the new backyard, and Ty hands out thumb bands with the RAB emblem on them, which will remind the wearer not to text while driving.

Ty goes to pick up a special guest and brings her back to the work site – it’s actress Emma Roberts, who was particularly moved by Alex’s story and wants to help out.

The modular home is coming together nicely, as Ty plans some slogans with Emma Roberts for the campaign. They both sign the pledge.  Michael is working on the master bedroom, which will have an international flavor.  Emma moves on to helping Paige with Katrina’s room, which will feature a ‘Murphy’ stage instead of a ‘Murphy bed’.

Ty calls the team together to make a barbecue out of a giant steer statue!

The office/garage and house are all up by Day 4. Ty is working on an interactive machine which the Browns can use to simulate driving while texting to give their message more impact. Michael is working on copying one of Alex’s love notes onto a coffee table.

Alex’s best friend, Amanda, helps Ty make a message wall in the office, which has slogans such as, ‘Live now, text later’.

Paige goes to round up some of Katrina’s friends from school to share in a special experience. Five nervous girls are called to the principal’s office, where Paige greets them with the news that they’re going to New York City to surprise Katrina – they will be meeting Justin Bieber at his concert! The girls squeal their approval.

In New York City, Paige and the girls arrive at Katrina’s hotel – she’s very surprised, but Paige says there is an even bigger surprise. The girls giggle in the limo and Katrina realizes they all know what is going on.

Once at the concert venue, Katrina is made to turn around and wait for her surprise. She finally gets to look – Justin Bieber emerges from behind a curtain! He high fives the girls and hugs Katrina, who positively swoons!

Justin asks Katrina questions about herself, and tells the Brown family they will unveil a banner at the end of the night asking that people don’t text and drive – he is also donating one dollar from each ticket sold to their campaign.

Justin Bieber takes Katrina to hang out alone before the concert.  She tells him about her sister, Alex, and he encourages her in to follow her dreams.

Back at the house, Michael shows Emma how he will preserve the window that Alex wrote on in a shadow box.

At the track, Leigh Ann is with Nascar drivers Greg Biffle and Carl Edwards, who will attempt to drive a simple cone course while texting. Two of the best drivers in the racing world cannot do it – they knock cones over and veer off course.

In New York City, Justin Bieber is holding a before-party at the concert and invites Katrina to join him onstage for the first dance of the night!  Katrina and her girls end up challenging Justin and his crew to a dance off.  The girls all decide they have Bieber Fever.

Paige returns to Texas in time to help Leigh Ann design a brand for the ‘Bull-b-que’, and she also finishes up with Katrina’s bedroom.  Ty gets the keys and the furniture starts going in!

The Brown family is brought home a day early to find out what all Extreme Makeover Home Edition has done to further their campaign. They are brought to the high school where the entire town has turned out for a pep rally.  Emma Roberts is introduced to the family. Ty shows the Browns the RAB thumb bands next, saying everyone there is wearing one. He announces that this week they spread the message to fifty high schools in fifty states and got the pledge signed in all of them.

Finally it’s time to ‘move that bus’! The Brown family reels at the sight of the new house and incredible landscaping. Ty tells the Browns that Katrina has received a full paid tuition for college.

There are a lot of tears as Jeanne, Johnny Mac, and Katrina take in the interior of the new house. Katrina sobs when she sees Alex’s message on the coffee table.  Katrina marvels at her new bedroom which is chock full of craft supplies, has a framed photo of her and Justin Bieber, a large camera to film home movies, and Emma Roberts comes in to show her how to convert her bed to a stage! Justin appears on the TV in the room to tell her she is coming to the premiere of his movie, “Never Say Never!”

Johnny Mac and Jeannie explore their new master bedroom, which features the window that says, ‘To Mom, Alex loves you.”  Michael comes in to point out all the international pieces in the room.

Now it’s time for the Brown family to check out their new backyard! The all get a kick out of the ‘bull-b-que’.  Ty then takes them to the new office. Michael tells them Sprint has paid for the new state-of-the-art office in support of their campaign and message, and have donated $50,000 as well. They are shown the simulator, which they can take on the road with them.  RAB also has a new website. Back outside, Ty welcomes the Brown family home.

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and “like” us on Facebook! For other great Extreme Makeover Home Edition news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: Extreme Makeover Home Edition and then come and discuss the show on our reality TV message boards.

Photo Courtesy: ABC

Topics: ABC Reality TV Shows, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition |

45 Responses to “Extreme Makeover Home Edition: The Brown Family, Justin Bieber, Emma Roberts, and Nascar Drivers!”

1. Shania Brown Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Can I please get one of those thumb bands I just printed out the pledge and signed it and would like one please!!!

2. Jackie Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 8:11 pm

How can we get 6 of those thumb bands for R.A.B.

3. Mike R Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 9:19 pm

I would like to get one RAB thumb band for myself, or buy one. Where can I do this? I have been looking everywhere online ever since I watched the episode tonight. Thanks.
    By the way, I’m legally blind, so I don’t drive. However, I completely support this!

4. Holly Jenkins-Paul Says:
    January 30th, 2011 at 10:25 pm

I don’t have a printer and am unable to print out your don’t text and drive contract. Because if I could I print out at least 3 of them. 1 for me and the other 2 for my daughter in laws..(my boys rarely drive). They hold the safty of not only my sons lives in there hands but my grandchildrens lifes as well. I’m a P.C.T. and make my living helping the sick and injured and would love to also know how to get one of those thumb bands. I think it would cause people to ask about it and provide me the chance to spread the word that way..Holly Jenkins-Paul,1716 Lansing Rd.#30, Charlotte, MI 48813

5. Crystal Says:
    January 31st, 2011 at 7:14 am

I’d love to get some of the thumb bands that were on the show…the orange ones. Where can we get them from?? I also took the pledge

6. Jennifer Burns Says:
    January 31st, 2011 at 7:36 am

I am sorry for your loss. I just want to say I think what you are doing is awsome. My husband and I drive truck, and we see people texting everyday. I can’t tell you how many times people have almost hit us while texting. I am so glad to see that you are trying to make it safe and saving lives. How do we get one of those thumb bands?

7. Rhonda Dutton Says:
    January 31st, 2011 at 7:46 am

I would like to get some of those thumb rings for my children & my friends & myself. I am printing out the pledges for them to sign. My husband & I already signed the pledge. We are BIG supporters of this. Thank you

8. melissa Says:
    January 31st, 2011 at 8:35 am

how can i get remeber alex brown thund ring free

9. Shari Klein Says:
    January 31st, 2011 at 8:57 am

I work for a school district in Pittsburgh, PA and was wondering if I could get the thumb rings for our School District. I would also like to get involved and help in anyway I can to get the word out of the dangers of texting and driving. Please let me know how I can help.

Shari

10. Barbara Cochrane Says:
    January 31st, 2011 at 8:58 am

I work for the New York State Police and also have twin daughters that are 21. They text and drive all the time. I would like for them to sign the pledge and wear the thumb rings so they will remember, but I don’t know how to go about getting the rings. Also working for the State Police and New York has the no texting and driving law I thought it would be a great idea to sell the rings and give the family the proceeds. Let me know how I can go about getting them.

11. Megan Allen Says:
    January 31st, 2011 at 9:06 am

i would like some of those thumb bands for me and my family we all took the pledge.

12. Carla Crosby Says:
    January 31st, 2011 at 9:17 am

I would like to purchase a lot of those thumb rings for my grandkids, kids & friends, where can I get them? That show made a big impact on me, thank you. I feel for the parents & the sister, it makes me sad where our children are going if we don’t stop some of it.

13. Cathy Zahn Says:
    January 31st, 2011 at 9:35 am

I would like to purchase a dozen thumb bands, please advise as to how I can do that? Thank you

14. Judi Marty Says:
    January 31st, 2011 at 9:59 am

I work for our Safety Department in our company and would like to know where I can get the thumb bands for employees and also a copy of the pledge. Our company has just set forth a policy to all employees that states employees will only use hands free capabilities while on company business / in company vehicles, and will not text and drive for any reason. The thumb bands would be awesome for our next Safety meeting! Thanks.

15. katie sacca Says:
    January 31st, 2011 at 10:12 am

tO THE bROWN FAAMILY
    i LOOK UP TO YOU FOR THE WONDERFUL WAY YOU ARE REMEMBERING ALEX, WHAT A WONDERFUL SHOW EVEN THOUGH IT WAS SO HEARTBREAKING SHOW FOR ME TO WATCH BECAUSE 3 YEARS AGO YESTERDAY I LOST MY EIGHTEEN YEAR OLD SON,CHRIS IN A CAR ACCIDENT. lOSING A CHILD AS YOU KNOW IS THE WORSE THING A PARENT CAN GO THROUGH. i HAVE A 26 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER THAT TEXT AND DRIVE AND AM AFRAID THAT I WILL LOSE HER. CAN YOU LET ME KNOW WHERRE TO GET THE THUMB RINGS? I WOULD RATHER HER TO HAVE THE RAB ONE BECAUSE SHE KNOWS THE STORY AND I BELIEVE IT WOULD MAKE HER STOP AND THINK BEFORE DRIVING AND TEXTING. THANK YOU

16. Evelyn Hanson Says:
    January 31st, 2011 at 10:25 am

I want to order some thumb bands for my grandchildren. I just tried for 1 hour thru pay pal and still wasn’t able to order. Got to be something easier. Please advise. Thank you

17. Dana Williams Says:
    January 31st, 2011 at 10:28 am

I would like to get thumb bands for my daughter and her friends that attend our local high school. The show last night hit home to me the most out of all the Extreme Makeover shows. I have a daughter that is 15 and will be driving soon and nothing scares me more. She is always texting and the thought of her texting and driving makes me sick.
    I would love to help getting your message out to our local high school students. Please tell me how to do that and how to get thumb rings.

18. stephanie hahn Says:
    January 31st, 2011 at 10:31 am

i would like to sign the pledge how do i get my thumb bands? i got 5 people in my family

19. stephanie hahn Says:
    January 31st, 2011 at 10:34 am

we all took the pledge this show made me cry and woke me up no texting while driving i even put it on my face book page for all my friends and family to sign the pledge!! god bless the brown family

20. Gaylan Prator Says:
    January 31st, 2011 at 11:22 am

i have a son.i hope and pray he never text and drive.we lost our daughter 9 years ago.not to texting but to cancer,i know how it fells to lose a child.its the hardest thing a parent can go through.
    love and prayers to your family
    Gaylan

21. DeMarcus Clear Says:
    January 31st, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I would also like to purchase the thumb bands. Could you let me know how you can.

22. Pat Voeller Says:
    January 31st, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I would love to get some of those thumb bands. Please advise to I can order some.

23. sonya Lopez Says:
    January 31st, 2011 at 3:22 pm

I would like to take the pledge and spread the message here in bakersfield ca and I would like to know how to get the thumb rings

24. Dana Honeycutt Says:
    January 31st, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I took the pledge online for the sake of my daughter. She is 7 years old and her life is in my hands every time she is in the car with me and, yes I have text while driving before even with her in the car. I will NEVER do it again! Life is precious and you lost a beautiful young girl to this insanity. I too would love to find out how to get some of those thumb bands. I would like more info to educate the kids in my town. God bless you!

25. Melissa Pankey Says:
    January 31st, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Dear Brown Family,
    I watched the show last night and it really touched my heart. I would like to sign on of the pledges and please get a thumb band. My kids go to ,school in Susanville Ca and it would be amazing if you could come to these schools. My thoughts and prayers go out to your family and good luck in your new RAB office
    Melissa Pankey

26. Melissa Pankey Says:
    January 31st, 2011 at 6:12 pm

How can we get the word out at the schools here in Susanville Ca and how can i get some pledges to help you out

27. angela lennier Says:
    January 31st, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I would like to purchase the thumb rings for my family and friends. (The orange ones to remember Alex Brown by.) Can you please email me info. a.s.a.p.?? The show really impacted me. I know many people who text and drive.

28. Robin Alcanter Says:
    January 31st, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I see many people are interested in the orange thumb bands as well as I am. I think it would be great to know where we can get these. I am surprised there was not better planning on making them available to purchase. Please provide us with the information we need to help spread the news and bring awareness in remembering Alex Brown. Thank you.

29. Marcy willians Says:
    January 31st, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Where can I purchase the thumb bands fro
    Alex browns episode of extreme home makeover?

30. Terry Hill Says:
    February 1st, 2011 at 7:17 am

would like to know how to get the R.A.B. thumb bands?

31. jessica fisher Says:
    February 1st, 2011 at 9:30 am

Can we buy the orange alex brown thumb bands and maybe you can donate the money to the alex brown foundation

32. charles Says:
    February 1st, 2011 at 10:25 am

I tried to take the pledge but when i went to the remember alex brown website to take the pledge it didnt come up i dont text or answer my phone while driving but i tried to take the pledge anyway.

33. Amy Humphrey Says:
    February 1st, 2011 at 10:56 am

I watched the extreme makeover home editions about Alex Brown and it really touched my heart. There is so many lives that could be saved from this message being promoted. I am going to pledge! Please send me 10 of your bands for RAB! Thanks.

34. kristy Says:
    February 1st, 2011 at 11:50 am

i would like to know how to go about getting the finger bands and the no text while driving pledge for my daughter’s school. i think that teen drivers as well as adult drivers need to take part in this pledge because the adults that still text and drive is not setting our youth a very good example. please let me know how to help get my daughter’s school involved.

35. Christine McDow Says:
    February 1st, 2011 at 12:35 pm

You asked we found out! Click this link to find out how to get your thumb bands! http://realitytvmagazine.sheknows.com/2011/02/01/extreme-makeover-home-edition-remember-alex-brown-thumb-bands-and-pledge/

36. stephanie moore Says:
    February 1st, 2011 at 2:50 pm

i just was the show that is so sad i lots a close family member frome that

37. vicky koch Says:
    February 1st, 2011 at 6:02 pm

HI,I’AM FROM EASTON,PA I WATCH THE TOUCHING STORY OF THE BROWN FAMILY MY HEART GOES OUT TO THEM,MY DAUGHTER IS 18 AND DRIVES ALWAYS WORRY ABOUT HER AND TEENAGE DRIVERS HOPE THE BROWNS COULD VISIT ARE STUDENTS AT THE EASTON AREA HIGH SCHOOL AND SEND THAT MESSAGE I WOULD LIKE TO GET THE MESSAGE OUT IN ARE TOWN AND WOULD LOVE TO SUPPORT. IT TRUELY IS A BIG ISSUE WITH ARE TEENAGERS ALSO WOULD LIKE COPYS OF THE PLEDGE AND GO TO MY DAUGHTERS SCHOOL FOR THEM TO SIGN LIKE TO KNOW WHERE TO GET THE BANDS FOR ALEX COULD U PLEASE E-MAIL INFORMATION THAHK YOU.CONCERN MOM

38. Kimberlee Boyd Says:
    February 2nd, 2011 at 7:16 am

R.A.B Definitely needs to come to Florida!!! We have to craziest teens drivers in the U.S.A. Please come and make Florida a safer place to drive!!!! Thank you and God Bless

39. Grace Ann Sabados Says:
    February 2nd, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I was glued to Extreme Makeover this past week and cried many times throughout the show. Every parent’s nightmare. I have 3 grown chidren and six grandchildren in N.C. that i hope were watching that important show. There is much texting going on down in N.C. where they live. I am appalled when I see it. I wonder where I can get thumb bands for my family that they will remember not to text but most importantly, to remember Alex Brown. We pray for that family and how strong they are to have this campaign going.

40. Carol Leskovjan Says:
    February 6th, 2011 at 8:49 pm

I watch the show faithfully every week. This was the best one yet. What you do for these deserving families is amazing. Please tell me where to get the thumb bands for my entire family. There are about 15 of us.

41. Lesley Ginnity Says:
    February 16th, 2011 at 7:24 am

I would like to know where to get the thumb bands.

42. todd Says:
    May 29th, 2011 at 7:49 pm

I’m really sorry for her sister and parents,but lets be realistic.it was her neglience and we are just lucky she didnt crash into a minivan and kill a whole family.This doesnt mean I diminish the pain and suffering of her parents and sister,and I wish them all the best and I,m sorry for there loss and I applaud there efforts to try to end text and drive

43. CC Says:
    June 10th, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I am just starting to drive and although I have sworn on my own never to text and drive I want to know where to get a thumb band as a constand reminder

44. lauren Says:
    September 11th, 2011 at 10:58 am

I just found out about this so im new. i want to say a big Thank you to what you are trying to do to help other people…

and me as a 15yr girl im going to send the message out to all my friends and for them to send it out to the people they know and i also want to say you have change my life with your story.

Love to all the family and friends xxxxx

45. David Van Gorp Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 2:39 am

Hello, my name is David and i am from Belgium.
    Where can i print out the pledge?

I watched the show online, big fan of Extreem Makeover House Edition.
    I wanne say howe i respect and i want to support the cause you ppl started. I believe in you .

My deepest respect and love for the family

Comments