Extreme Makeover Home Edition: Remember Alex Brown Thumb Bands and Pledge

February 01, 2011 10:30 AM by Candace Young

This past Sunday night on Extreme Makeover Home Edition, the Brown family’s story really hit home with viewers. The Browns lost their teen daughter Alex to a texting while driving accident.  Ty Pennington helped the family spread the word nationally about how dangerous it is to text while driving, and introduced the RAB (Remember Alex Brown) thumb bands and pledge as part of the new national campaign. Keep reading to find out how to get your own thumb bands and where to go to sign the pledge…

The Brown family’s story was the focus of a special two-hour episode this past Sunday night on Extreme Makeover Home Edition. As part of an expanded campaign to educate high school students on the dangers of texting while driving, RAB (Remember Alex Brown) thumb bands were created.  The idea behind the thumb band being that the wearer is reminded not to text and drive.

Many viewers have been wondering where to get thumb bands since the episode aired. Reality TV Magazine can tell you that they can be acquired through the Remember Alex Brown Facebook page for a donation to the cause.

Throughout Sunday night’s episode, everyone, including celebrity guests, Emma Roberts, Justin Bieber, and NASCAR drivers Greg Biffle and Carl Edwards, signed a pledge not to text and drive.  The Brown family were particularly moved that Extreme Makeover Home Edition had the pledge signed at fifty high schools in fifty states – meaning their campaign had truly gone national.

Viewers and readers wanting to sign the same pledge can visit the Remember Alex Brown Foundation and follow the link.

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and “like” us on Facebook! For other great Extreme Makeover Home Edition news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: Extreme Makeover Home Edition and then come and discuss the show on our reality TV message boards.

Photo Courtesy: ABC

Topics: ABC Reality TV Shows, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition |

13 Responses to “Extreme Makeover Home Edition: Remember Alex Brown Thumb Bands and Pledge”

1. Andrea Says:
    February 1st, 2011 at 1:17 pm

The Alex Brown story really hit home. I took the pledge not to tex or talk on the phone while driving you need to keep your eyes on the road at all times. Parents really need to talk to there kids about the importance of not texing or talking on the phone while driving it just takes one second and you could lose your life is it worth taking the chance in texing I don’t think so my life is worth more then dieing.

2. Tina Richter Says:
    February 3rd, 2011 at 9:48 am

Hi I had my daughter take the pledge. She is turning 16 in March and this story has touched my heart. I am so sorry about the loss of Alex. What a beautiful girl and such a short life. My daughter texts a lot and I want her to be safe when she starts to drive. This pledge was so extremely important. I wish the Brown family could viist her school here in Schuylkill Haven, Pa. I know alot of the children text here. This would be good for them to experience especially if it could save lives. Also, where do you get the thumbs? Something I am interested in. Thank you for sharing your truly moving story and God Bless your beautiful family.

3. Pam Whited Says:
    February 4th, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I took the pledge, it really hit home. I want to find out how to get the thumb bands. I live in Alabama and would like to get some to spread the word.

4. Christine McDow Says:
    February 4th, 2011 at 2:48 pm

We posted a link in these comments letting everyone know how to get the thumb bands. Hope you all find them! :D

5. Maggie Wiechman Says:
    February 6th, 2011 at 6:52 am

I think the thumb bands are a wonderful idea. I would really like to know how to get a few of these bands for my family.

Thank you.

Maggie

6. Rachel Schaal Says:
    February 7th, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I will be driving in just a few years and I want to be as safe as possible, and when I heard her story, it just broke my heart. I don’t want to be like her when I drive, and it is a pleasure to make this pledge.

7. karen Says:
    February 16th, 2011 at 6:07 pm

any idea where we can send the Remember Alex Brown Pledge form Back to
    karen_tiberghien@yahoo.com

8. toni krupka Says:
    February 19th, 2011 at 3:55 pm

would like to get thumb bands for a high school
    how do I get them?

9. Leeanne Cook Says:
    May 29th, 2011 at 6:29 pm

hey how do i get thumb bands??

10. Macy Says:
    May 29th, 2011 at 8:23 pm

This story is so touching & the family is so inspirational. I saw the rerun of the episode, got online, & took the pledge. I think the Remember Alex Brown thumb bands were an awesome idea & that they should be sold online, that way people can order them & have a constant reminder to NOT text & drive.

11. marina Says:
    May 30th, 2011 at 8:58 am

hi, watched the show last night, and thought it was great, don’t have a printer, but would love to take the pledge! and the rab bands are an awesome idea!!

12. Kendall Says:
    May 30th, 2011 at 12:08 pm

i really want to thumb bands so i could remember not to text and drive. The story about alex brown really touched me and i want everyone to be safe while driving. how can can i get the RAB thumb bands??

13. Callie Jackson Says:
    September 20th, 2011 at 11:11 am

The story of Alex Brown really touched me and my friends. We watched a video in our drivers ed class thiss week. We would love to become part of the pledge and get some thumb bands. Anyone who can help me out, Please let me know! Thanks.

Comments