Kitchen Nightmares: Cafe Tavolini Closes Just Weeks After Filming

February 09, 2011 02:00 PM by Lisa Princ

We recently heard Chef Gordon Ramsay sound off about how desperately this season’s restaurants needed his help on FOX’s Kitchen Nightmares, but was one so desperate that even Gordon Ramsay could not save them? One restaurant has shut their doors just weeks after filming with the series, but why? Keep reading for more details!

Kitchen Nightmares is known for helping restaurants survive with the help of Chef Gordon Ramsay, but according to a local new story, one of the featured restaurants this season has close their doors just weeks after filming. In a local news story, a Bridgeport, CT restaurant, Cafe Tavolini, closed just after Christmas and weeks after unveiling the changes made during filming of the Fox television series Kitchen Nightmares. The news came as a disappointing shock to locals who say this was a vibrant and great place.

No one seems to be able to get a clear answer as to why the restaurant has shut the doors. On the voicemail for Cafe Tavolini, you will hear the owner saying “I have to apologize for the restaurant being closed at this time. I look forward to be opening rather soon. I apologize to all my valued customers.” citing medical reasons are to blame. However, in an interview earlier, the owner said he was having financial woes including being able to pay his rent and taxes. According to the news, a for sale sign was placed in front of the restaurant last week and the attorney general’s office is currently investigating the place due to a complaint they received. While no one knows for sure why Cafe Tavolini closed down, the episode which was filmed in December is still set to air sometime this season on FOX. If we get any more news on this story, we will be sure to update you here! Be sure to tune in Friday for a brand new episode of Kitchen Nightmares on FOX!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and “like” us on Facebook! For other great Kitchen Nightmares news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: Kitchen Nightmares and then come and discuss the show on our reality TV message boards.

Photo credit: FOX

Topics: FOX Reality TV Shows, Kitchen Nightmares |

26 Responses to “Kitchen Nightmares: Cafe Tavolini Closes Just Weeks After Filming”

1. mike Says:
    March 26th, 2011 at 10:08 pm

i just saw the show. these owners had no busisiness being in the restrauant. slow and lazy owners are a recipe for disaster.no wonder people are out of work because of losers lie these owners.

2. Sandy Says:
    April 1st, 2011 at 10:35 pm

They are really nice people, especially Keith, with a lot of pressure and stress in a bad economy too! A famous phrase goes like this. Do not judge until you have walked in someone else’s shoes. It took alot of courage going on camera in their own hometown. If you think it is easy to run a restaurant, think again! Restaurants have the highest failure rate!

3. KT Says:
    August 27th, 2011 at 5:40 am

I just saw this episode and I just don’t understand why anyone thinks that they can open and run a restaurant with NO experience at all! This restaurant had success written all over it from the start: from location to establishment…but, with owners having no restaurant experience it wasn’t. I hope a real restauranteur sees the possibilites and opens it up again. I’m sure this commmunity would delight in that!

4. Carl weathers Says:
    August 31st, 2011 at 4:24 pm

The problem is that the owners were overweight. Fat people should not have rights… Let alone, own a restaurant.

Maybe they can lose some weight walking around while they are homeless. I hope.

5. Mike Says:
    October 19th, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Wow, Carl! You’re an idiot!

6. John Talbain Says:
    January 7th, 2012 at 6:39 am

I can’t believe what Carl Weathers said. Go back to KKK headquarters, son, you belong there.

7. George Says:
    February 11th, 2012 at 4:57 am

Carl weathers with all respect, just go back to your local kindergarten!
    I bet you never ran a own business.
    They maybe have overweight but you lack more, you sir lack a brain!

8. gonococci Says:
    February 20th, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Hey Carl, how’s the arm doing? Ever since you lost it that first predator movie I’ve been worried. Good to see you can still type repulsive comments on the internet! Stay upbeat.

p.s. loved you in Happy Gilmore!

9. Chris Says:
    April 17th, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Sorry but Carl, that made me laugh my ass off.

Can’t believe these people just got so obviously trolled and believed it XD

10. Michael Says:
    June 4th, 2012 at 11:15 am

No, no, I agree with Carl. Fat people should not have the same rights as others because they take up more space and should thus be required to be more helpful to society. If they live as a regular person then they should have rights taken away.

11. Susy Says:
    June 23rd, 2012 at 9:47 am

I totally agree. Fat people have no business running a restaurant. It is a universally known and time tested fact that fat people and food don’t mix. You put a fat person in a kitchen and they will make every consumable product disappear – meatloaf.. poof..spaghetti… poof…cookies…poof…flintstone vitamins..poof…moldy cheese hiding behind the baking soda…poof. It’s a magic act. But you put a fat person in a restaurant’s kitchen and then you’re facing world annihilation. This family ate themselves out of their business. Case in point, the owner’s wife was to preoccupied with making sure her belly was full before the paying customer got his/her food.

12. Lynn Says:
    August 5th, 2012 at 11:14 am

Wow! All I can say is that some of you people are just plain idiots. Overweight people have just as much skill and opportunity to run a successful restaurant as any other person. The owners in this case had no experience and no drive to want to have a successful business. Who runs and hides out in their car when things aren’t working the way they want? If you want things to happen then you have to get into the fray and make them happen not just wimp out when things go wrong.

13. Emily Says:
    August 6th, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Michael, Susy. I can tell you obviously have no class and probably no friends. People like you make me upset. How dare you judge another person based on their physical appearance. It’s not what is on the outside that matters, its what is inside. It has nothing to do with the size of these people why this restaurant failed. It is because they never really wanted it to succeed anyway. You could tell in their faces from the beginning. so, to you, I say GET A LIFE!

14. tom poon Says:
    August 14th, 2012 at 10:39 am

I agree, and its not about being judgemental, but fat people should at the very least pay higher fees and taxes on things.

They take up more room, and cause more wear and tear on things. this is due to their higher weight and larger girth. They wear out floors faster, bend furniture, stress benches and chairs and really put a burden on shock absorbers on a car, and the increased weight will wear out roads and sidewalks faster than a lighter person would. plus their wider dimensions means that they are more prone to knock things over causing damage and breakage, and rub against doorjambs and walls more wearing out the paint requiring them to be repainted more frequently.

So I think that they should be taxed at a higher rate for those types of reasons. They can still do whatever they like just as anyone in this country can, but just as when I park my SUV in a parking garage and have to pay a $10-15 additional fee because my car is oversize, so should hold true with fat people based on the same principal.

15. Rick Huge Says:
    August 14th, 2012 at 10:43 am

16. richard scrot Says:
    August 14th, 2012 at 11:45 am

17. Bong Hits Says:
    November 20th, 2012 at 9:28 pm

What a couple of fatties

18. Shayla Says:
    December 6th, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I don’t know whether the posters are being serious or deliberately provocative with their judgments about fat people.
    Here’s my opinion, the restaurant failed because the owners had no experience, knowledge, expertise, WISDOM or motivation. They did not support
    each other and were only adept at being negative.
    They were sitting on a gold mine but did not know how to harvest it. The episode was a MASTERCLASS in how NOT to run a restaurant. Gordon wasted his time on this one.

19. twidget111 Says:
    February 10th, 2013 at 10:59 am

It sounded like a wonderful place, being in the restaurant business myself 3 of which where I worked are all closed. Go figure.

20. Fatfck Says:
    February 10th, 2013 at 11:17 am

Don’t be getting Us fatties mad. We could order a sit on you all.
    Fatfck.

21. Fat Sean Says:
    March 17th, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Y’all posting in a troll thread.

22. FATskinny Says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I love fat people… and skinny… and no people at al… just LOVE….

23. who cares Says:
    May 17th, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Way to completely derail the article.

The one person I thought should have been put in charge of that restaurant was Van. That kid had the passion and drive to make that restaurant into a sustained success. They should have just turned the keys over to him, and let him run with it.

24. Me Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 8:01 pm

They failed because they couldn’t get their shit together. They had NO business running a restaurant. Why? Because they’re both lazy. They sit there with a beautiful restaurant, dedicated and talented workers, and a nice menu, and instead of running the restaurant like owners, they wandered around with vacant expressions on their faces.

25. Tyrone Watson Says:
    July 21st, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Like the others have so brilliant iterated, their problem with their obesity eventually drove the restaurant down. If they had been able to slim down the restaurant could have prospered, but alas, their fat eventually got the best of them.

I hope the future owners are not as fat, as I’d very much prefer to see this place prosper.

26. who cares is right Says:
    July 31st, 2013 at 5:09 pm

who cares is right, trolls ran this page, but its true in the sense that fat people have no sense of self control; if they had self control they wouldn’t be fat. i hate to say it but its an obvious part of society. that being said; van had so much passion, that’s what who cares is right about u could see the passion in every word van spoke, if it was his place it would be booming right now!!

Comments