American Idol: Steven Tyler And Simon Cowell Take Digs At One Another

March 03, 2011 08:00 AM by Lisa Princ

American Idol on FOX‘s judge Steven Tyler is making quite an impression as one of the new judges on the show. Recently, he shared his thoughts on Simon Cowell and Simon Cowell also shared some thoughts on Steven. Keep reading to find out what both of these fellows had to say about one another!

American Idol’s newest sensation Steven Tyler was recently quoted in a UK paper stating that he was not brought in to “replace” Simon Cowell and “I think one of the biggest problems was Simon hurt people. His comments were nasty. It was too much. I’ve tried to be myself and be different to Simon. If people like it, then that’s great.” When the same reporter asked Simon about the comments made by Steven Tyler, Simon replied “I couldn’t care less” and he then went on to compliment the show by saying “I think they’ve done a good job on the show this year.”

In a comical dig at Steven Tyler, Simon Cowell appeared on The Jay Leno show recently and told Jay “I haven’t watched the whole show. But my mom, who is 86, I think she forgot that I wasn’t on the show this year.” as he tells a tale of how his mom called him to find out why she did not see him there and then went on to tell her son “Tell Jennifer, the new girl, I like her. Give my love to Randy. And tell Paula she looks a bit tired.” Supposedly that is a true story, but you never know – should be interesting to see if Steven Tyler responds to that one!

So which judge do you like better – Steven Tyler or Simon Cowell? Comment and share your thoughts with us, we’d love to hear from you!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and “like” us on Facebook! For other great American Idol news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: American Idol and then come and discuss the show on our American Idol message boards.

Photo Credit: FOX

Topics: American Idol, FOX Reality TV Shows, Steven Tyler |

8 Responses to “American Idol: Steven Tyler And Simon Cowell Take Digs At One Another”

1. Gaby Tjalsma Says:
    March 3rd, 2011 at 9:08 pm

i prefer simon cowell coz with his way of commenting, contestants work harder to imnprove their talent in order to impress the judges especially simon cowell…and becoz of him and the rest of the previous judges, american idol produced real talents and well polished singers…singers that bring out the best in them. Steven Tyler on the other hand, is a bit boring. He has really nothing to say except “i love your voice”, “amazing”, “fantastic” and all just beautiful praises. He doesn’t give them an advice how to improve their craft which i am expecting from him being an experienced, professional and a good singer. Hmmm…as if he is scared to make nasty comments…which once in a while, in my opinion is necessary. He has to be realistic! There is a time to say “Stop! my ears hurt. You are out of your vocals”.

2. Pat Says:
    March 4th, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I think Steven Tyler is doing a great job,,don’t miss the ugly remarks of Simon a bit,,the show is much more enjoyable to watch now,,at least he is a singer and knows music he does not belittle people,,I love both of the new judges,,

3. beth Says:
    March 5th, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Steven Tyler is a much better judge than Simon.

4. Randy Says:
    March 6th, 2011 at 5:03 pm

As a rock singer I like Steven as judge Simon. I really hoped that Steven Tyler would give more constructive criticism. It seem to me with his experience and background in the entertainment industry he could say a little more than “that just blew me away” or “gee I didn’t think that was very good”. I’m being a little sarcastic here but I’m trying to make a point. Simon may have seemed mean but at least he gave good criticism.

5. Jennifer Says:
    March 7th, 2011 at 5:15 am

No question – Steven Tyler

6. oscar Says:
    March 8th, 2011 at 1:14 pm

well i think that steven tyler has a better way of telling contestants that they should keep working on it and to work on there vocals…..simon does kinda the same but he does it in a more cruel way that will sometimes bring a contestants hope down…..they are both realistic judges just that they have there own way of expressing there feeling towards the auditioner….

7. phillippa Says:
    March 14th, 2011 at 5:28 am

I think steve tyler is a beautifull person inside and ouy I love the way he gives constructive critisisms in a beautifull and sensitive way go on steven make them smile not cry I love u

8. steve Says:
    March 17th, 2011 at 11:18 am

I like Steven Tyler over Simon. Simon would deffinately hit the nail on the head with certain performances but was it necessary to criticize so abruptly? I think not. To belittle a person, especially a young adult trying to do their best in front of millions is to me a bully. Simon may knows his music but he didnt have to be an English prick. Tyler has more years of experiance and can be sinsitive to these young people on stage. He has been there in the beginning of his career when he had to face thousands of screaming fans. I prefere Tylers approach when it comes to telling the Idols where they may be week and strong. He always incourages them but when he thinks they need to improve he tells them how.

Comments