American Idol: Is James Durbin Better Off?

May 13, 2011 07:00 AM by Christine McDow

Traditionally speaking, the winner of American Idol does not have a very successful career.  They might see some immediate popularity (think Kris Allen and Ruben Studdard), but long term, it is normally a contestant that came in 2nd, 3rd or 4th that has the biggest career (think Clay Aiken, Adam Lambert and Chris Daughtery).  So could James Durbin being eliminated last night from American Idol really be the best thing for his career?

If James Durbin would have gotten into the final two he would have been handed a record deal.  One he already signed a contract for, stating how much he would get, how many albums it was good for etc.  All this before he knew how popular he might be.  Now that James Durbin is off the show, he will be able to field offers from other record producers.  James Durbin will be in demand and will get the choice, versus having to settle for what is handed to him.

James Durbin will also be able to have more say so in the type of songs he sings and the type of album he creates.  He is not going to owe anything to the American Idol producers or the show.  He simply will be allowed to be him.

He will also probably have a record out much sooner than he would have had he won.  That means that he will stay more relevant in viewers minds and start making money much faster than the winner will.

In the end, I don’t think people should be mad or feel sorry for James Durbin.  This is probably the best thing that could happen to him.  Look how fast Pia Toscano scored a record deal after her shocking American Idol elimination.

Let us know what you think!

Topics: American Idol |

32 Responses to “American Idol: Is James Durbin Better Off?”

1. Jessica Says:
    May 13th, 2011 at 7:52 am

I agree completely. James has a musical attitude about him. James really knew how to use his voice and he had a true stage presence unlike the other contestants. He made it fun and he made viewers want to watch. With that being said, I do think he will be better off not winning. I was rooting for him, however I think it would be best if he is able to have some say in what he wants. Although he didnt win, he is still an American Idol winner to me, and I cannot wait for him to sign on to a record deal!

2. Grace Says:
    May 13th, 2011 at 9:52 am

I totally agree. I feel that most if not all top 10 will get a record deal, they ALL are that good this year and they will have complete control over there lives and make a much better profit / percentage when albums, etc come out.

3. Josh Says:
    May 13th, 2011 at 10:07 am

I agree completely here. I really look for Haley to win and her career be sup-par compared to others that have been eliminated. All I know is once Durbin lands a deal I want his debut album.

4. Janet Says:
    May 13th, 2011 at 10:18 am

James, see you at the “GRAMMYS” I am a mother of two and a grandmother! A loyal american idol fan, I looked forward each week, for your performance. I will buy your music… You bring a smile into my heart with your voice!!! Give your little boy a great big hug and get ready for the best ride of your lives. You are headed to the top…

5. Ellen Says:
    May 13th, 2011 at 10:53 am

Your article made me feel better about what happened to James last night and I know you are right. He’s a rare person and talent. I hope that the right people will offer him a recording contract and treat him right. I can’t wait to buy his first album and watch his career soar.

6. Jan Lastocy Says:
    May 13th, 2011 at 11:46 am

I’ve put James in the same category as the last rocker voted off in 4th place…Chris Daughtry!!! Here’s hoping that he will have the same amount of success!!!

7. JJ Says:
    May 13th, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I hope you are right. Im done watching idol, the most talented and most entertaining contestant gets voted of again. I would like to know if there is a statistical data base that shows the age of the voters, who is voting and how many times. WHat a joke! They should have it on at ten pm so all the little kids who are voting will be in bed and people with more than a 7th grade education dont have to vote 500 times each! James is the best and has the best future, which he deserves!

8. Racquel Says:
    May 13th, 2011 at 1:38 pm

James, WOWOWO — he can sing anything- even the phone book , he should not have been voted off! however, he is going to be a huge star, because he is a natural, his stage presence is awesome and he seems like a genuine person. He will make it big time!

9. sweetea Says:
    May 13th, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Check back on every one of these contestants in 5 years and that will tell. I wish James only the best of success.

10. Susan Says:
    May 13th, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I never liked metal, nor hard rock until James. I’m old and he even made me rethink my ideas about music. He is very talented. I was so sad to see him voted off. I even cried. I hope all of you are right and that his career will be better now that he didn’t win. Because he deserves that. Maybe the judges should have a percent of the votes like on Dancing with the Stars. Maybe limit the age of the voters, and limit the amount of times one can vote. Something needs to change if people like James get voted off.

11. Beverly Buford Says:
    May 13th, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Love James! Will buy anything he puts out. Will buy tickets to any concert of his that is closest to me. Love the guy!!!

12. Kathy Says:
    May 13th, 2011 at 8:23 pm

We have to thank Americam Idol, without them we may have never heard of James Durbin.
    James is a natural and he should have won.
    I hope for the Grand Finally Steven and James will sing together, at least that would be worth watching.
    James will make it big and I will be buying his music.

13. Rob Says:
    May 13th, 2011 at 8:37 pm

You are insane to think that idol producers do not have each and every contest signed to some sort of first rights of refusal deal, they own you, thats why you see artists such as Kellie Pickler Jordin Sparks, Adam Lambert, Allison Iraheta, Carrie Underwood, Casey James, Daughtry, Kelly Clarkson, David Cook, Ruben Studdard, Clay Aiken, Kris Allen, Crystal Bowersox, Lee DeWyze, and Chris Medina all sound to 19 Entertainment.

If you’re going to right a column about music, have a clue about how the business works!

14. L bradshaw Says:
    May 13th, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Is idol fixed?? Top rated guy goes home?? AGAIN???Think not…I have watched from the very first episode the very first year….and now I am convinced. Idol…OFF!!!

15. brad Says:
    May 13th, 2011 at 10:39 pm

I have watched every episode of American Idol for 10 years and feel that James Durbin was the best Idol contestant in those years. He definitely got the shaft and I partially blame this years group of smoke blowing judges. Randy Jackson is the only one who even makes an attempt to “keep it real”! Scotty can do no wrong in their eyes. He can sing a fun song with absolutely no vocal challenge and he isn’t put down for that like so many other contestants in the past have. Until they get some judges willing to “judge”, I’m done with American Idol. Good luck James!

16. JLM Says:
    May 14th, 2011 at 4:52 pm

James was a metal guy before Idol singing about whores and getting some. Yes he did a few covers before but metal was his thing and that isn’t something most Idol fans are going to like. If James goes modern rock/pop like Daugthry I can’t see him being happy. James has a great range but definitely needs professional voice lessons to learn to control his voice. He was often pitchy and screechy and the judges never told him. Can’t quite imagine how he would handle the pressure of the music biz – it is ugly…

17. Teresa Says:
    May 14th, 2011 at 7:21 pm

James, I too, truely believe you are in a bigger plan than as to be awarded in the top two. YOU are the top contestant, you are the best performer in this season,but now you are given YOUR top choice of your future!! I voted for you each time, and could not wait to see you each week. Can’t wait to see you again!- Teresa

18. DD Says:
    May 14th, 2011 at 9:13 pm

James Durbin was the most talented and will be the biggest star of all the contestants. To bad that people who know music don’t actually have a say on who stays and who goes. After reading the above article I do now believe he will be better off. No question he has big, big star written all over him.

19. Robinbird Says:
    May 14th, 2011 at 10:57 pm

James should come back to Idol in the last few shows and sing Stairway to Heaven, or Sweet Child of Mine… and he would blow away those scheechy, whiney, boring girls. Can you imagine what he could do with those songs? I’m certain he’s going to be heard from more than they Ash, Hal — will ever be , win or lose. They are copycat singers and he is original — great job James, but though you were robbed of the Idol win, every time you get MORE of your contract money than the Idol WINNERs do… I hope you smile. I am voting for Scotty, he can then go sing with Carrie Underwood, and that would be kinda fun…
    Come on James, make great music and do us proud like you did on the show! I don’t rush out to by albums (CDs) but I’m gonna make an exception for yours James.

20. Jackie Says:
    May 14th, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I agree. I was really upset at first but now that I have heard other people talk I am glad it turned out this way. He has a very special voice that I just love. I will be in line to buy his music.
    All the best to him because he deserves it.

21. James Mason Says:
    May 15th, 2011 at 5:44 am

I think James was great too..and he will get a contract with some record company…but he will be obligated for 5 years to Entertainment19 who owns Amer.Idol with some percentage of his earnings that he signed with A.I. Pia has a contract already similar to that.

22. Linda Says:
    May 15th, 2011 at 9:11 am

James, American Idol was just the beginning of your career. In life you will have hills and mountains to climb. I can tell you’ve had to climb many. I am a mother of two teens and will buy your first album when it comes out. I’m normally into country music, but after seeing you on american idol this changed. It’s just a matter of time, good luck to you! Mom fan!

23. chzhd333 Says:
    May 15th, 2011 at 1:52 pm

James is going far. He was my favorite. but from what I read, he will be better off without the win. I LOVE James and will be first in line to buy his cds! He wasn’t pitchy (who said that???) and he does NOT need professional lessons. Good grief. He has a better voice than a lot of ‘professionals’ that have had voice training. Many succsessful artist’ haven’t

24. Debbie Says:
    May 15th, 2011 at 4:21 pm

James u r the best an don’t let the STUPID AMERICAN VOTERS LET U THINK DIFFERENT!! I COULDN’T WAIT FOR EACH SHOW TO COME BACK ON TO SEE WHAT U WOULD DO NEXT!! I LOVED THE WAY U MADE ME FEEL WHEN U SANG,WHICH NONE OF THE OTHERS MADE ME FEEL EVEN CLOSE TO WHAT U DID!! THE SAME THING HAPPENED WITH U THAT HAPPENED WITH ADAM LAMBERT!! U WERE JUST TO DAMN GOOD AN AMERICA KNEW U COULD MAKE IT ON YOUR OWN BUT THE OTHER 3 CAN’T!! SCOTTY IS JUST ANOTHER COUNTRY SINGER WITH NOTHING SPECIAL IN HIS PERFORMANCES,ALL HE HAS GOING FOR HIM IS HIS LOOKS WHICH THIS SHOW IS SUPPOSE TO BE ABOUT YOUR VOICES!! U HAVE OVERCOME SO MANY ROADBLOCKS IN YOUR LIFE AN U WILL OVERCOME THIS LITTLE BUMP IN THE ROAD TO!! U WAIT AN SEE U WILL BE A BIGGER STAR THEN THE OTHER 3 WILL EVER BE!!!IM NOT WATCHING THIS SHOW ANYMORE!! I HAVE WATCHED IT FROM THE VERY START AN IM TIRED OF THE GREAT SINGERS BEING VOTED OFF AN THE AVERAGE ONES STAYING!! SCOTTY SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE ONE TO GO NOT U!! THE GIRLS R OK BUT U WERE GREAT AN U R RIGHT U DID THINGS ON THAT SHOW NO ONE HAS EVER DONE NOT EVEN ADAM LAMBERT!! I LOVED HIM BUT U R NOW MY FAVORITE OUT OF ALL 10 YEARS OF THIS SHOW!!SO DON’T BE SAD SWEETIE,GOOD THINGS R COMING YOUR WAY I KNOW IT AN I WILL BE THE FIRST IN LINE TO GRAB UP YOUR CD EVEN THOU I AM A 51 YR OLD DISABLED GRANDMOTHER!!! I LOOK AT MUSIC A WHOLE DIFFERENT WAY NOW CAUSE OF U!!! U SO MADE THIS STUPID SHOW MORE EXCITING THEN EVER OR ANYONE!! I HAVE NEVER BEEN GLUED TO THIS SHOW AS MUCH AS I HAVE BEEN THIS YEAR WITH U ON IT!!! KEEP YOUR CHIN UP AN HOLD YOUR HEAD UP HI CAUSE U R NOT A LOSER BY NO MEANS,U R A WINNER IN MY BOOK!!! IM SURE AMERICAN IDOL IS GOING TO LOSE A WHOLE LOT OF VIWERS OVER THIS AN IM ONE OF THEM!!! I HOPE U R READING THESE COMMENTS AN I WISH U HAD A WEBITE OR SOMETHING SO ALL OF US WHO LOVE U CAN GIVE U OUR OPINIONS ON IT AN GIVE U A WHOLE BUNCH OF PEP TALKS WHEN U NEED THEM AN SO U CAN SEE HOW MUCH U R LOVED AM WILL BE MISSED!!!GO GET THAT RECORD DEAL JAMES,U DESERVE IT AND I KNOW LOTS OF PEOPLE WILL BYE IT EACH AN EVERY ONE U MAKE!!! GOOD LUCK TO U AN YOUR FAMILY SWEETHEART!!!GIVE AMERICA (THE ONES WHO DIDN’T VOTE FOR U AN AMERICAN IDOL)THE BIG BIRD CAUSE THE LAUGH IS ON THEM!! THERE LOSS NOT YOURS!!! CAN YA TELL IM REALLY HEATED OVER THIS SITUATION??? I WAS SO HOPING FOR U TO WIN AN MY SECOND CHOICE WAS CASEY!! HE KINDA GREW ON ME AFTER AWHILE BUT I THINK SOME OF THE PEOPLE ON HERE R RIGHT U R BETTER OFF EVEN THOU IT MAY NOT SEEM LIKE IT NOW!! BUT JUST THINK BACK TO ALL THE SHOWS!! U DON’T SEE MUCH OF THE WINNERS BUT U SURE DO THE RUNNERS UP OR BEFORE THEM!!! MUCH LOVE AN APPRECIATION FOR YOUR TALENT!!! STAY STRONG!!!

25. Faye Says:
    May 15th, 2011 at 9:08 pm

I am a mother of 3 grandmother of 7 & grandgran of 1. I totally agree with Janet above! See you @ the Grammy’s, will buy all your music. I was so sad seeing you go from Idol but as they say it probally is the best thing that it happened. After all.. all thing happen for a reason. Give Hunter a big kiss from me & Heidi a big hug.

26. Jane Says:
    May 16th, 2011 at 9:57 am

I am 60 years old and upset with AI. I have seen every episode every season (final 25) I think that Haley is just about the worst female they have had on the show. She is just a sexy screamer. Simon would have had a field day with her. James, althought metal, was by far the winner for this season. Makes me wonder if people are being paid to vote for some of these other contestants. Teenagers wouldn’t know talent if it hit them in the face and they are the ones voting 200 times all night. James has a bright future, but not so sure about AI. This could just very well be the last season for the show. Loosing Simon was the downfall. Adom should have won last year too. AI is no longer a talent contest. Can’t wait for James’s first album to come out so I can buy it. I an continuing to raise a 35 year old with challenges and only can hope he could one day be more independant. Thank you James for giving so many challenged youngsters hope for their future. You are one in a million, and a person of excellence.

27. Roxanne King Says:
    May 16th, 2011 at 10:05 am

I do believe this is fixed. Fox and all their conservative cronies do not like anything “out of the box” I am a grandma and loved music all my years. James was the best ever and I am now convinced that I will NOT vote for the best because in the long run they are way better off. I agree with “JJ” above. Thanks to the little ones that gave James a chance in the real world. James you are blessed!

28. Karen Says:
    May 18th, 2011 at 6:11 pm

James, you ARE the winner! You will be able to have control over your premier CD. I too am a grandma and I love, love, LOVE the way you love your family. You remind me of my son. You musical ability is awesome and you now have a chance to make a great life for Heidi and Hunter. Be careful and don’t get carried away by fame. Just be the great, warm hearted man you are and you will slowly become a music LEGEND! Blessings to you and your family!

29. Gari Chandler Says:
    May 20th, 2011 at 6:41 am

I too, am concerned about the results on American Idol. Last night while reading some posts, I came upon some that were laughing at James and referring to a site called votefortheworst . There are some evil people out there who actually vote for the worst, hence Haleys rise to fame. They recommended on the site that you could use something called dialidol. It would auto dial numbers up to 500-800 calls during voting times, from one number. They also recommended that after that time, you could get on line and vote more as they stay on a while longer. WHAT!!!!!!! They wanted the worst to win. This is so wrong and makes me angry. Can anything be done about this?

30. jessica rae Says:
    May 21st, 2011 at 6:11 am

I do believe james should have won it but he is already on his way he will make it big! I LOVE YOU JAMES I THINK YOUR INCREDIBLY TALATED !When i first heard him audition for idol, i knew then he was awesome and would go far! In my book you are my #1 idol fan james durbin rocks! I love your style i love metal! More metal please!

31. kathy Says:
    May 27th, 2011 at 7:22 am

Somebody said that James was screechy and the judges did not say anything about it. that person obviously has not heard Adam Lambert sing. He’s been the screechiest AI contestant and the judges never said anything either. James voice is beautiful, but I can’t stand Adam Lambert’s.

32. Chris Says:
    July 11th, 2011 at 7:35 pm

I never watched AI to much until my daughter told me I should hear you, I agreed and I was totally impressed with you, hey you know Rock and Roll the way it should be done. You rock and have a great future. By the way my daughter has a crush on you and she is only 5 LOL, she was sad when you got voted off and threw a TV brick at the TV (a sponge), she cried but I told her this was not the last she would hear from and she smiled

Comments