May 15, 2011 09:00 AM by Lisa Princ

Despite one of the most shocking eliminations of the season on FOX‘s American Idol, rocker James Durbin still encourages fans not to give up on Idol. We also learned that James was given some advice by someone who knows a lot about turning a fourth place contestant into a success – Chris Daughtry’s producer! Keep reading for all the details!

When American Idol’s James Durbin showed up yesterday for Durbin Day in Santa Cruz, the rocker was greeted by tons of fans, most of which who were so angered with the show that they vowed not to watch anymore. When James took the stage for a press conference he asked that the fans not boycott the show as he said “I don’t want people to give up watching the show. American Idol is the whole reason that I’m here today.” James Durbin also admitted that part of his emotional reaction on Thursday night had to do with the fact that he knew he would not be able to come home this week, but he got his wish anyway thanks to the show. He added “Look, I’m happy. I got fourth place. Only nine other people in history have ever gotten fourth place on Idol.”

James Durbin also received some words of advice from Howard Benson, who helped turn Chris Daughtry from a fourth place Idol finished to the superstar he is today. So what kind of advice could he offer James? Howard Benson says that despite the fact that James is really good at metal, he needs to be careful of his target audience and really think about what 17 year old metal fans are listening too as he doubts it is someone from Idol. He goes on to say “They’re into bands we’ve never heard of on small indie labels. He has a shot at selling to the over-30 crowd who loves that music and might buy his album if the songs are unbelievable.” Benson added that it was all about the songs and if asked said he would convene a week long song writing camp for Durbin.

No matter what path James decides to take, I am sure his faithful fans will follow him and he will continue to be successful! Be sure to tune in next week to see the top three take the stage to battle it out for a shot at the finale on American Idol on FOX!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and “like” us on Facebook! For other great American Idol news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: American Idol and then come and discuss the show on our American Idol message boards.

Photo Credit: FOX

Topics: American Idol, FOX Reality TV Shows |

24 Responses to “American Idol: James Durbin Encourages Fans Not To Give Up On The Show And Gets Advice From Daughtry Producer”

1. brenda kolba Says:
    May 15th, 2011 at 11:09 am

I am still befuttled at the fact that someone could be sent home even though they(james) were never in the bottom two…Its not a fact of voting ,I think it is a problem with rigging…VOTES REALLY DO NOT COUNT.. I HAVE BEEN AN AMERICAN IDOL FOLLOWER SINCE THE BEGINNING AND HAVE NO REASON TO CONTINUE TO WASTE TIME OR CALLS ON SOMETHING AMERICA HAS NO WAY OF THE FEELING THAT WE DO OR CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE…FROM A JAMES LOVER TILL THE END

2. Neisy Says:
    May 15th, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Its not only because I’m sad James got voted off that I won’t watch the rest of the season it is just there is no American Idol left. The voting needs to be changed to be like Dancing with the Stars. One person texting 1000 votes will not create an audience. I’m not a kid but I’m the age that buys CD’s I will buy a James Durbin CD but who will buy a Haley CD it will have to be DVD so the guys can see her “pole dance” since she cant sing. Can you imaging a 40 min. CD with her screaming. I’m extremely disappointed with the show and this will be my last season.

3. Kay Says:
    May 15th, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I looked forward each week to see James and what he would perform. I felt the same with Chris Daughtry. I think it maybe the voting public assumed each would win and at this critical point concentrated their votes on the “runner up’s” thinking that the “superstar” of the show would automatically have the large percentage of votes. In the end it left James and Chris with the smallest percentage. I’ll keep watching but it won’t be with the same urgency I had to see James.

4. Mike Hartman Says:
    May 15th, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I can’t believe that James got voted off the show he was the best and most consistant throughout the show. I hope he has a great career like Daughtry did. Who will buy a CD from Haley or Lauren they both can’t sing well at all. I hope scotty will win the show. I’m also very dissapointed in J-Lo. Ever since she stated that she wanted the girl’s to stick around not one single girl has been elimated. I will not watch the show again, I’m very dissapointed in the way the sow is judged.

5. Bobby Says:
    May 15th, 2011 at 1:38 pm

I’ve been a Idol fan since the very first broadcast, and even though I’m so very sad and disappointed that James has been voted off, I don’t think trashing the orher contestants are making the accusations of voting fraud is the correct responce. James is right when he says don’t boycott the Idol, because he has experienced what the Idol is truley about. Each one of these talented contestants are unique and that is what sets them apart from all the other people who tried to be the next ” American Idol “. The try outs all over the country, the quest judges, and thier choices for the top contestants, along with America’s choices for the top 10 contestants is what makes ” American Idol ” the #1 TV program in the contry. Yes we all have our favorites, and being Americans these choices will never all be the same, but we get to witness the developement of each contestant to a true “Star” and to be envolved in thier success buy buying the tickets to see and hear the music and entertainment that will be produced from each and every one of these talented people. American Idol is not and will never be one individual, but 100′s of people who will have the opportunity to be coached and have the top producers and entertainers teach them, when they might have not otherwise ever had the chance to be seen on the large scale exposure such as “American Idol “. Jame’s life will never be the same, and his success in the music industry is almost certain. This is only since he has experienced the ” Aerican Idol” if you truley are a James Durbin fan, than you have to be a American Idol fan also.

6. Bill Says:
    May 15th, 2011 at 2:10 pm

There were 4 people left, so any elimination would be shocking…. James screamed to much.. And we gave Metal a chance. And we don’t like it.

7. ruth desantis Says:
    May 15th, 2011 at 2:40 pm

James Durbin is the winner. He will outdo all of the other three in the future. He is the star.

8. micky Says:
    May 15th, 2011 at 4:00 pm

James is an incredible singer with lots of talent and soul. However, I think it’s his screaming in the last song that got him out. Sometimes excessive screaming can back fire on the singer who was trying to showcase his voice. He is plenty good w/o having to do that. I wish him all the success in his music career!Sorry to see him go. He could have won it all!

9. Paul Winger Says:
    May 15th, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Not give up? Why would we not give up on the show when the producers obviously have? Well its the last of the last for Idol, having been sold last week and the producers moving on to Coming 2 Hollywood. Whatever… ratings in the toilet and for good reason. Looking forward to C2H, though, as a new format. Seasons 1 and 2 premier in August on sjLume.com and season 3 is just prepping at coming2hollywood.com

10. Danielle Says:
    May 15th, 2011 at 5:13 pm

My husband and I will not watch AI the rest of this season or in the future, and we have been devoted viewers for many seasons. The whole aura of the show has gone down. I read in one of the reviews that the minute the show ended, Randy went to Nigel, the producer and was very upset… It is without question that they know the show is not being received like in the past. Their solution was to change the voting format and cater to the “Tweens” The show now is just an MTV be-bop teeny-bop production. AI could redeem themselves this coming week and designate a phone number for those who want James back into the contest. I think AI has hurt themselves so badly that they are permanently damaged in the ratings. I had felt that when Simon left there would be a lack of interest in the show. The way the format is now is proof of that. STEP UP TO THE PLATE AI AND ADMIT THAT YOUR VOTING PROCEDURE was the total reason for james being eliminated, GOOD-BYE AI

11. chris Says:
    May 15th, 2011 at 5:39 pm

im a huge james durbin fan. i cant for the life of me understand how someone as talanted as james get elimated without being in the bottom two. i believe the voting is rigged. look what happened to daughtry, bo bice, adam lamburt they dont fit into the image ai has in their mind. i believe they see them getting close and they find a way to them off. the three they have now are one hit wonders. cant wait to see james in concert and his first cd. james as well as daughtry had the rug plled out from nder them. maybe its a good thing he didnt win now he can do his own music his way. by this time next year well forget who won. i wont be watching ai again.

12. lisa day Says:
    May 15th, 2011 at 8:06 pm

i was very disappointed that james was voted off the show – he appeared to have the most all around talent – as well as having the best voice on the show. i do not know if i will continue watching american idol or not. best of luck to james!!!!!!!!

13. Anita Says:
    May 15th, 2011 at 11:31 pm

I am extremely disappointed also that James Durbin has been voted off American Idol. Last season Adam Lambert was clearly the better singer and this season James Durbin deserved to win. He has a great talent and I felt was the only idol of the last four. I just do not understand how the true “American Idols” are voted off. The remaining three are good singers but I do not feel they will sell to the public. I also will not be watching the rest of the season and will no longer tune in to the show for the future, even if I love the new judges. I am very disappointed.

14. Jason Says:
    May 16th, 2011 at 12:12 am

This man could sing the phone book. He absolutely shouldn’t have been voted off and I agree that the show WILL SUFFER because of it. Although if not for Idol James wouldn’t be where he is now. So it is hard for me to be angry at Idol when someone so deserving came from it. There is no doubt that James will move on to bigger and better places. But the fact remains that the remainder of this season won’t be nearly as good as it SHOULD have been. ( I also would gladly buy any album he chooses to release ) ROCK ON JAMES!!!!

15. lisa Says:
    May 16th, 2011 at 8:29 am

i’m with neisy i’m not a kid either but i will buy James Durbin cd and see him in concert.I can’t imagine any of the other 3 worth spending the money on.with Scotty you could fill a small town of guys that could sing just as good as he does.actually better and without all the facial and eye drama.Haley screams way too much with her singing and Lauren can sing pretty good but is a boring performer.Steven Tyler said in an interview
    that he liked Naima as a singer and performer i agree.Durbin is such a performer and singer

16. aldea Says:
    May 16th, 2011 at 8:48 pm

I too will never watch Idol again even though James asked the fans not to do that He will rock on and I see a wonderful future for him which probably would not happen if he had not been on Idol. It was a great opportunity for him and it is obvious he is grateful to them and his fans. He is a true beacon of hope for people with challenging disabilities. He has such a stage persona with a great personality.He rocked the house with every performance I am far from being a kid either but I love rock and he has what it takes. He is totally unique and demonstrated he can sing anything. He also created his own props and designs. His creativity is amazing. He was the whole package. I will difinately buy his first cd (and all thiose that follow) and can’t wait to see him in concert. The Idol show in itself is silly picking artists none of these kids could even identify with and I am sure none of them are going to cover if they want to succeed in this very competitive field. If 72 million Americans actually watch Idol as they claim they are not all tweens. You rock on James and never give up your dream. There are a lot of fans out here rooting for you.

17. lisa Says:
    May 17th, 2011 at 1:59 am

X-Factor! Time to change programs and watch something else. This year is really the worse Idol ever. The judges are not any good anymore.Since Simon left Idol died. Not watching anymore. Yes james scream but he tried new things and was good. Haley screams out of tune and is boring. Scott just sings country.. ZZZZZZ and Lauren she is good but has a long way to go..but Idol did make james known and like daughtry James will be great. Done with idol though was going to turn it off when james left . Scotty was so scary and could not sing cant believe he even made it. The colton guy got cut was 100 times better. But oh well ready to watch the X-factor and see simon again. Waiting now for James CD to come out!

18. Faye Says:
    May 17th, 2011 at 5:03 am

I enjoyed several of James’s performances and then was disappointed when he added screams at the end. It ruined the songs for me. I can’t deny his talent, when he was on key, that is. His lower register wasn’t good. Something he admitted. I think he’ll have a nice career, if he takes the advice of the experts in the business. Of course, they may not have all the answers, but James is young and needs guidance at this point.

I’m not going to stop watching. I haven’t in the past when my favorites left, and don’t intend to do so now.

What I think happened was they mixed up the phone numbers. James went 1st and 4th. Most assume his numbers would be 01 and 08. That wasn’t the case. Instead, if people voted 08, their votes went to Lauren. I think she is the one they want to win, so, this could have been a ploy. I don’t know that for sure, but, Lauren was in bottom 2 last week and they pulled out all the stops to keep her in the competition.

My votes will be going to Scotty now. James told him to win this, and I’m going to grant James’s last wish on AI.

19. Carla Says:
    May 17th, 2011 at 5:08 am

I will keep watching. We wouldn’t have heard of James if it weren’t for American Idol. He will have a very nice career after the tour.

I will also vote for who I think does the best this coming week.

20. Dani700 Says:
    May 17th, 2011 at 1:32 pm

How could America vote out James? It is pathetic as talent cannot be seen. I look forward to watching the show every week and this week is going to be somewhat less entertaining. People vote off Haley, she doesn’t deserve to be there!

21. Eunice Says:
    May 18th, 2011 at 7:12 am

I want James back on the show – I am glad he got to go home but it was his rights anyway. He deserved to be at his homecoming and he deserved to be in the top three and he deserved to be in the finale. What an injustice – I have lost all faith in American Idol and I have nothing to look forward too. I will never vote again because it is obviously rigged.

22. Eunice Says:
    May 18th, 2011 at 7:18 am

James Durbin – it hurts like hell when I think of the injustice that was done to you – I can’t imagine the rest of the season without you – I have nothing to look forward to. I am glad they let you go home for a homecoming but it was rightfully yours to begin with. What the hell happened – I am still in shock.

23. Jude Says:
    May 18th, 2011 at 3:46 pm

It appears that most of you seem to think that AI
    should just lay down and die after you pick your favorites. You have picked so AI should just pick up their marbles and go home. HELLO, people. This is a contest and only one winner. It seems that the James fans take their whiny attitudes from James himself. I liked a couple of his songs but he screeched and cried too much. IMO he was too full of himself, and since it drove me nuts, I will mention the fact that I hated that he has no eyes when he sings. Personally I prefer my favorite not win since AI doesn’t do their winners any favors. I don’t care who wins since all of the singers have their pros and cons. There are lots of sour grapes going on and it is sad that there are such immature people around. Grow up cause you sound just like your singer and that ain’t good. Just look at him after he was voted off. Still arguing to the end. Shame on you for trashing the other singers just cause you are having tantrums. If all of you “I have watched the show since day one” have really watched that long you should know that AI does their winners no favors so why are you crying? Geez!

24. Jude Says:
    May 18th, 2011 at 6:08 pm

If u people r going to cry about who is voted off, maybe u should not watch these singing contests. That way u can’t act like extreme nutcases when something happens that u don’t want to. It is called a contest for a reason and only ONE wins. Just cause u like someone does not mean everyone else has to. James was okay with a couple of songs but the rest he just screeched and jumped around and cried. He sang off pitch/key. He cried more than Lauren. Also, I hated that he has no eyes when he sings. It drove me crazy. I hope my favorite doesn’t win cause AI chokes their winners to death.

Comments