So You Think You Can Dance: Alex Wong Too Injured To Dance

June 10, 2011 10:12 AM by Christine McDow

Fans of So You Think You Can Dance were crushed last year when one of the all time favorites, Alex Wong, injured himself and was eliminated from the competition.  I for one waited an entire year to see him come back, dance again, and win the title of the best dancer.  However, as the season went on, we got through Vegas week, and the top 20 announcement was made, there was no Alex Wong.  We had to ask both Nigel and Alex what happened on Twitter.  Keep reading to find out what they said!

After begging for an answer last night, Alex Wong tweeted to his fans about his absence from the show. “Hi All :) I’m not back on SYTYCD competing because I wasn’t ready to dance when Vegas rounds came, thanks for everyone’s support! :)” Can you say, “Whaaaaa!” We are completely crushed that we will not get to see Alex every week this season.

However, if you keep reading Alex’s twitter feed you will see that there is hope! Kent Boyd, last years runner-up, picked Alex up at the airport in LA a couple of weeks ago. Recently, Alex was asking for recommendations for a physical therapist in LA. It sounds like he is sticking around! That means that he could show up on the show at some point this season! Maybe they will let him be an all-star, maybe they will just bring him and Twitch back on for a special encore of their hip hop routine from last year! THAT I would tune into see!

Let us know what you think! Are you bummed Alex Wong is not back on SYTYCD this year?

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and “like” us on Facebook! For other great So You Think You Can Dance news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: So You Think You Can Dance and then come and discuss the show on our reality TV message boards.

Photo Credit: FOX

Topics: FOX Reality TV Shows, So You Think You Can Dance |

15 Responses to “So You Think You Can Dance: Alex Wong Too Injured To Dance”

1. LouH Says:
    June 10th, 2011 at 11:55 am

Yes, I was really hoping to see Alex on the show this season. Exactly when were the Vegas rounds anyway?

I know they told him it would take a year to heal the torn achilles tendon, but is it fully healed now? Does he feel comfortable and confident pushing himself to his usual, though hard to see limits? I can’t wait to see him dance again, but I would hate it more if he reinjured himself by pushing it too soon. Particularly after he gave so much up to be on SYTYCD (leaving the Miami Ballet).

2. laromantic Says:
    June 10th, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Very disappointed that Alex did not come back. Agree that it is better not to see him than for him to come back too soon and further injure himself.

3. Brad Says:
    June 10th, 2011 at 8:25 pm

OK. Here comes my peeve back to rear it’s ugly head. And I apologize in advance for the attitude, but Alex was not “eliminated!” He had to withdraw due to injury. That word still goes in sideways with me. (Again, I apologize). 2nd, it’s America’s “favorite”, not best dancer. But either way, if Alex did not complete his journey on the show with the title, I think most every fan of the show would be stunned. And to answer a question from above…If Alex did appear this season as either an All-Star or Guest Choreographer, would he still be eligible to compete in Season 9? God I hope so. Alex, you are terribly missed. All my hopes for a complete recovery. And may all your dreams come true!

4. Jerry Ainsworth Says:
    June 12th, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Alex, we are looking forward to seeing you on the screen. You are the greatest.

5. Kim Says:
    June 12th, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Just finished watching the Top 20 reveal amd waited the whole show for the announcement that Alex would be back. I’m so disappointed. He is BY FAR my favorite ever!!!

6. Christine McDow Says:
    June 13th, 2011 at 8:22 am

I was doing the same thing! I was sure they would say, “And the last guy is…ALEX WONG!”

7. Emma Says:
    June 13th, 2011 at 11:39 pm

I’m really disappointed. I was really hoping for him to come back this season… :(

8. Mary Says:
    June 14th, 2011 at 7:47 pm

I’m devastated that Alex wasn’t in the top 20. When he does come back, no doubt he will win it all!

9. DaraLynn Says:
    June 15th, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Yep, kept waiting for some sort of announcement as to Alex’s status for season 8. Very disappointed that he won’t be competing but agree that I’d rather wait one more season to be 100% sure of his health. Be well, Alex; we’ll be waiting – impatiently!

10. Rita Says:
    June 16th, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I’m so disappointed. I turned on the tv for the series this season just to see him dance!! Well can’t wait until he is back in shape. You’re the best Alex!

11. Lara Says:
    June 23rd, 2011 at 2:14 am

My prayers are with you Alex Wong!! I was so disappointed when they never announced your name for this season of the show but the most important thing for sure is that you make a completely full recovery so that you can have a very long healthy life long Dance career, bringing smiles, tears and pure amazement to hearts all over the world!! We love you Alex Wong and on the show or not you are definitely one of my very favorite dancers ever!! ;)

12. Denise Says:
    June 23rd, 2011 at 9:51 am

Alex, in my heart you were the winner of season 7. I hope to see you in season 9 so you can “officially” be named the SYTYCD winner.

I was extremely disappointed when they didn’t announce you as the last contestant for this season and even more disappointed when they didn’t even mention you.

I’m glad to hear you are still recovering.

13. Jerome Says:
    July 2nd, 2011 at 7:47 am

I reckon he’ll appear as surprise addition to the top 10… No point putting him in the top 20 when he was already a top 10 contender with arguably being the leading fav. Go Alex!

14. Stephanie Says:
    July 6th, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Had been waiting to see Alex, felt confident he would have easily won last season. Better he be completely healed and ready to dance/compete than return to early and reinjure himself. One of the finest & most exciting dancers I’ve seen. Oh well, there’s always Youtube to watch his routines.
    Perhaps he’ll dance as a All Star when they cut to top 10???

15. Tomas Says:
    July 7th, 2011 at 8:33 am

I was like most looking forward to Alex returning this season. I’m disappointed but concerned that he is still healing. I lost my Dance career because of an injury so I wish him the best and a full recovery.

Comments