Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition Recap: “Dana”

June 13, 2011 08:41 PM by Veronica Dudo

Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition on ABC introduced viewers tonight to 44 year old Dana who is 250 pound overweight. Dana loves to sing in his Gospel choir and wants to live a healthy life.

Weighing in at 498 pounds, Dana is known as the life of the party. He had hoped he would qualify for gastric bypass surgery, but when that didn’t happen he was extremely disappointed and felt hopeless and alone. Dana is a youth counselor and sings in the choir at his church. He is the youngest of eight children. He struggles with controlling his eating at night, as he is known to make two or three trips a night to his favorite fast food spots. Dana says that he moved to Tennessee away from his family and doesn’t even see them on Christmas because he is ashamed of how much weight he has gained.

Trainer Chris Powell says he can help Dana start a healthy new life. On Dana’s first day of exercising, it’s a reality check as Chris pushes him.

Back at home Chris had Dana’s house transformed into an at home gym and stocked the refrigerator with healthy food. Chris tells Dana that for Phase One his goal is to lose 110 pounds in three months and if he can do it then Chris will get him a vocal coach. Dana is losing weight but hits some snags. Chris discovers fast food wrappers and approaches Dana who apologize to Chris for cheating. Sensing that this is deeper, Chris asks Dana why he turns to food and Dana reveals that he was sexually abused. Chris tells him he needs to stop punishing himself for something that he had no control over.

After 12 weeks it’s time for Dana to weigh-in and he needs to have lost 110 pounds. He steps on the scale and it reads 387 pounds so Dana lost 111 pounds. Chris tells Dana that on his birthday he will fly out to Los Angeles to see and sing with his brother. The day has finally arrived and Dana’s brothers is very emotional when he sees Dana’s weight loss success.

Back at home Dana injures his knee and falls back into bad habits. Chris visits a doctor and finds out that Dana tore his ACL but says they can continue by cutting out weight-bearing exercises. It’s now time for Dana to weigh in for Phase Two and he needs to have lost 70 pounds. When he steps on the scale is reads 358 pounds only totaling a loss of 29 pounds instead of 70 pounds.

It’s now Phase Three and his nine month weigh-in and Dana needs to have lost 108 pounds in order to be a candidate for skin removal surgery. He steps on the scale and it reads 318 meaning he only lost 40 pounds. Dana says he needs to talk to Chris about something very important. Dana says that throughout the year Chris has been asking him where the real “Dana” is and Dana says he thinks he finally found him and tells Chris he is gay.

On day 365, family and friends gathered at the YMCA in Nashville, TN to see Dana’s transformation. When he walks out everyone is overwhelmed with joy and Dana himself is smiling from ear to ear. At his last weigh-in, Dana steps on the scale and it reads 295 pounds bringing his total weight-loss to 203 pounds!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and “like” us on Facebook! For other great Reality TV News, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition and then come and discuss the show on our reality TV message boards.

Photo Credit: ABC

Topics: ABC Reality TV Shows, Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition |

7 Responses to “Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition Recap: “Dana””

1. Kimberly Scott Says:
    June 13th, 2011 at 10:39 pm

I want to be an contestant on extreme whieght loss, im at least 100 pounds over whieght. My life is on the edge at all times, i have 3 sons, 2 step sons, 2 of my sons have autism.

Ive forgotten about myself! Im not important!!!
    I reliize if i dont change i will not be here to
    protect and help my children!!! Please consider me to be involved in any whieght loss show, im not a loner and know i cant do it alone.
    Love Kimberly 1111

2. CHLI Says:
    June 14th, 2011 at 1:04 pm

We are so proud of Dana’s transformation! For the show’s recipe of “Flank Steak with Bourbon BBQ Sauce” click here -

3. dave Says:
    June 20th, 2011 at 10:32 pm

my name is dave i have a weight promble been going to gym two to three time a week still not loosing weight i have promble with both shoulder and left my wife gets on me every day about my weight have a sleeping disorder and my right side of my heart is a little in large doctor says with exice i can maybe get ride of some of my medication dave is on , dave is on a promble life style changes please can you give dave some help

4. martha Says:
    June 22nd, 2011 at 5:15 pm

my name is martha.i have been on all kind of weight lose planes,an to this day i can not stay on one.i am 58yrs.old and need to lose about 130lbs. i have been trying to work out at this time,i have been for about one week. it is hard for me to do a work out,i have my one knee that has been replaced and my foot has been fused,and i can not bend it at all,just at my toes.
    the weight is really hard on my knee,and my foot.i would like to learn how to eat and work out,could there be a chance of me getting on the show,i will work hard for you.
    thanks.
    martha.

5. LaDonna Says:
    June 29th, 2011 at 12:25 pm

My mother is 51 yrs old. She is 290lbs. She is a diabetic, has high b/p, has emphysema, wears a c-pap machine, always in and out of the hosp due to her electrolytes, keeps going into renal failure, has a sedentary lifestyle and the list just goes on and on. I’ve given her every bad situation that will eventually happen to her because I’ve worked years in the medical field. I’m at the end of my rope(and so is she physically and emotionally). Can you maybe send a video talking to her or maybe tell me what else I can do. I don’t want to lose my mother so young and my little boy is upset all the time because he doesn’t have a granny that he can do stuff with etc. Please help us.

6. Julie Jones Says:
    March 26th, 2012 at 5:38 am

To Dana Baker, Congralutions to you, I cried through out the show. You touched me in many ways parts it was me talking. I now wiegh 103kgs, I have lost about 30kgs. I just can;t seem to lose anymore. I am widow with 2 children & I have had heart failure last year. I need to live for them, but I feel I can’t go on anymore. I hope you receive this meesage & speak with you. Yours Julie.

7. Paola Says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 7:17 am

Sono una donna di 44 anni peso 115 kg ed avrei bisogno di dimagrire, se avete consigli e potete aiutarmi 3451851017 grazie anticipatamente

Comments