Platinum Hit Recap: Drama Ends In A Huge Shocker!

July 15, 2011 06:44 PM by Lisa Princ

Jewel and the gang were back tonight on Bravo‘s Platinum Hit where we saw some insane drama! But was it between song writers or the love birds? You’ll have to keep reading to find out and hear who went home in this shocker!

Tonight on Platinum Hit the remaining six song writers were put into teams of two, and for their hook challenge they were given 2 hours to come up with as many hooks as they possibly could. Jewel chose the names out of a hat and the teams were made up of Jes and Scotty, Nick and Johnny, and Brian and Sonyae. After the teams struggled for 2 hours writing, Brian and Sonyae ended with only one hook. The next morning, the teams met Evan Bogart, an American music executive and songwriter who has contributed to long list of successful artists.

Evan Bogart listened to the hooks which had to be adapted to what he was looking for, so Brian and Sonyae were in the clear as they just adjusted theirs to fit. During Johnny and Nick’s hook, Evan brought in Gavin DeGraw who asked them to do a song that he could sing. During their pitch, Nick let Johnny go first and of course he complained afterward as they only had one chance to impress – he thought he would blow Johnny away when it was his turn! Brian and Sonyae were working on a song that Beyonce could sing, while Jess and Scotty were headed into the Justin Bieber direction.

Next the teams were asked to write an entire song and that is when the drama really broke out! Nick and Johnny could not get along long enough to write their tune together. Nick actually went on a rampage to Johnny about how he was involved and great every week, yet Johnny would not let him help, ending with a big “F” you to Johnny. Nick then confided in Scotty that he was secretly hoping that Johnny’s song would blow up in his face and he would end up going home. Meanwhile, Johnny confided his concerns in Jes – if his song was strong, he would be the hero, but if it was not, he would end up going home.

When it was time to hear the tunes on Platinum Hit, Brian and Sonyae blew their song out the water, while Jes and Scotty did a good job as well. When it was time for Nick and Johnny to go up, Nick sat there while Johnny performed alone and you could tell right away it was not your typical Johnny song. But did he throw the competition in an effort to get Nick eliminated? Or did Nick play the game to get Johnny sent packing? First, Sonyae and Brian were awarded the win and safety followed by Scotty and Jes, who came in second place tonight.

That left the two drama queens of the evening in the bottom, which was sad because throughout this competition we have seen them both shine, and at one point I thought they would both end up in the finale – guess I was wrong, huh? Even in front of the judges, these two acted like little children fighting and playing the blame game. Although the judges could not tell who was lying, they did get to the bottom of who wrote what and knew they had a tough decision ahead of them.

In the end, they decided in a shocker to let Johnny go home since he was the most responsible for the song, but it comes as a huge disappointment since he was doing so well in the past few weeks. Nick, still irate with the entire situation, blew Johnny a kiss before leaving and then went off on everyone else before he went to celebrate – alone!

Did the judges get it right this week? Comment below and share your thoughts with us be sure to tune in next week for a new episode! You can get the songs you heard on the show on Bravo’s website!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and “like” us on Facebook! For other great Platinum Hit news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: Reality TV and then come and discuss the show on our Platinum Hit message boards.

Photo courtesy of Bravo!

Topics: Bravo Reality TV Shows, Platinum Hit |

24 Responses to “Platinum Hit Recap: Drama Ends In A Huge Shocker!”

1. Elise Says:
    July 15th, 2011 at 11:55 pm

Still in disgusted shock. I cannot believe that hack got Johnny thrown off. I hope Jewel & crew feel really stupid when they watch this episode and see how Nick (The Sanjaya of Bravo) behaved like a spoiled 2 year old. And why didn’t that Evan guy speak up about how Nick behaved in the pitch session? He came in with a scowl and refused to contribute anything — clearly Johnny was trying to succeed? Absolute crap. I highly doubt this show will be renewed, but at least it had some legitimacy up until tonight’s episode. Now it’s really looking like the joke everyone assumed it would be to begin with. It’s a shame for those writers left that have actual talent. I just can’t take it seriously after this.

2. Leigh Says:
    July 16th, 2011 at 1:07 am

Definitely got it right! Nick>>>>>>Johnny

3. chelsea Says:
    July 16th, 2011 at 7:29 am

I will no longer be watching this show since it’s obvious that they’re more interested in drama (Nick) over substance (Johnny). Nick hasn’t produced anything that lives up to his self-promotion. He’s an egotistical baby who, when he didn’t get his way, stomped out of the play yard and essentially took his ball home. Johnny was much more professional and actually had real talent that was measurable and not just a figment of his imagination.

4. Susan Says:
    July 16th, 2011 at 9:17 am

I felt the judges really missed big time on this call. They try to justify it by saying they base elimination on each song individually – not someone’s total contribution on the show. That’s a load of BS! There is no rhyme or reason to their decisions! They sent Jackie packing, saying she wasn’t able to make her winning hooks work too many times. Is that not judging someone based on past work? They eliminated Melissa because she didn’t contribute enough and didn’t force the issue. Nick does the same thing and gets a walk. Huh? The producers have been using creative editing to prop up the judges’ decision from day one, so for Jewel to write that she stills feels she made the right decision, after watching this episode, is so totally naive. All you had to do is look at the faces of those in the lounge, when they heard the news. That’s what shows what REALLY happened behind the scenes! People who should have been grateful a strong contestant was eliminated, looked like the world ended – they were in shock. That’s because they now know this show has nothing to do with talent – it’s just a big farce. Johnny really broke out as the star of this show. Without him – it blows. And Jewel – if you really think all Nick needs is a hug – why the hell didn’t you hug him in the first show and save us all from his negativity every week? Okay, so how do we spell “MISS” in tvland? Oh yeah, CANCELLATION!

5. Talea Says:
    July 16th, 2011 at 9:42 am

I can’t BELIEVE they kicked Johnny off!! If I was a singer I wouldn’t DARE ask nick to write n e thing for me or my friends. He’s arrogant, rude, has a VERY BAD ATTITUDE and he’s cocky for no reason! He sounds repetitive.!

6. Talea Says:
    July 16th, 2011 at 9:43 am

DISGUSTED!!!!!! THE INDUSTRY NEEDS TO BAN NICK! I DON’T C HIM WINNING SO I JUS BIDE HIS TIME!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

7. Sarah Says:
    July 16th, 2011 at 11:10 am

This article was biased towards Jonny. It failed to mention that when working together to write hooks Jonny went out of his way to ignore Nick. Nick might have a terrible attitude, but he is a good song writer. Jonny’s entire song was boring. If he had worked with Nick they would have been safe and Jess would be the one to go.

8. Rho Says:
    July 16th, 2011 at 11:13 am

Typical….they chose to keep the bastard who causes the most trouble, thinking it will boost their ratings. I will no longer watch this show. I hope they play back the film to witness the truth of johnny and nick’s writing session. It’s not about talent on these shows, it’s about who will bring in more viewers because of their dysfunctional personality.

9. Julie Says:
    July 16th, 2011 at 11:22 am

The judges got it right. Even though both were uncooperative, Johnny started the whole messs by not working with Nick in the beginniing. His song was not good and he only has himself to blame for being eliminated.

10. Brooklyn Says:
    July 16th, 2011 at 11:34 am

This show is a joke they must be real asses to let Johnny got at least Johnny did something Nick acted like such a ____. I hope Bravo cancels this joke that they call a show. They will be losing a lot of money when nobody buys the season and stops watching the show. Johnny didn’t deserve to go home I think they should of looked at the past obviously Johnny is skilled and Nick he might as well go back to train station and write more songs. Johnny has talent because Nick was so desperate as to talk the people into giving him money. I hope they realized they made a stupid choice and bring back Johnny.

11. Kija Says:
    July 16th, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I preferred Johnny to Nick going into this episode, but not any longer. While Nick has been a jerk in the apartment, during the studio sessions he has been collaborative and professional and every single person has said so. Johnny, on the other hand, has been dismissive of other’s participation before. In this episode, he was contemptuous and smug and treated Nick so badly that I went from being a Johnny fan to hoping that he ends up with a career cleaning drains. That sort of arrogant privilege has no place anywhere. He called Nick a subhuman! And when, 10 minutes before their time was up, Nick walked out, Johnny literally jumped with joy making me suspect that Nick’s idea of sabotage was not too far off the mark. I am sure Johnny thought he could lose and would outlast Nick because the judges liked him. I doubt even Jes could defend his behavior after seeing the video of how he behaved last night – though perhaps after seeing his contempt of her skills last week, she may already be rethinking her infatuation.

12. kathryn Says:
    July 16th, 2011 at 2:34 pm

ok- I’m done with this show. A real shame too because I was enjoying it so much. Shame on the producers for letting it become a soap opera instead of about the music.

13. Anthony Says:
    July 16th, 2011 at 7:15 pm

I’m truly frustrated with everyone commenting here and hating on Nick. I am not a fan of Nicks at all, but during this episode, Johnny didn’t give his ideas light of day. He ignored everything that Nick tried to show him and then try to say “Oh I tried to get him to help” when, in fact, Nick was trying to help and Johnny just blew him off. I would have walked away with 10 minutes too if the person wasn’t letting me help. The judges made the right decision on this episode. Johnny, trying to sabotaged nick, actually screwed himself over. This show is great and I really hope that it gets renewed. It gives everyone an insight on a different side of the music industry. With a few more seasons, this show is bound to get big.

14. Steph Says:
    July 16th, 2011 at 9:15 pm

I can’t believe they let Johnny go!! That was a stupid decision. I don’t watch shoes with stupid judges!

15. Steph Says:
    July 16th, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I can’t believe they let Johnny go!! That was a stupid decision. I don’t watch shows with stupid judges!

16. Neemer Says:
    July 16th, 2011 at 11:08 pm

I agree with anyone who is OVER this show. Why didn’t Nick’s attitude in the Pitch Session get revealed. This is absolutely ridiculous. Jonny should have won the entire thing. Nick went into the session with Jonny with a huge attitude because in my opininon Nick was intimidated. He’s worked with others he’s hated before (ex: Jackie and Sonyae) but he NEVER was rude to them once work began. Instead he took over the sessions. Jonny wasn’t going to let that happen. It seems to me that he treated Jonny like crap the moment they were alone in the studio. And resented Jonny for winning the hook challenge.
    This show is over. lame.

17. Platinum Sh** Says:
    July 17th, 2011 at 4:06 am

Yep. Not gonna bother watching anymore as it’s obvious that this show is not about music but about a cynical grab for ratings through the exploitation of negativity. On par with Fox news. Congratulations.

18. Paul Says:
    July 17th, 2011 at 11:15 am

i think it’s hilarious the gender divide between nick and johnny fans. Even in the comments on this article it’s apparent.

Johnny has all the girls on his side, because he is the cute guy with the beautiful smile that lays all his feelings on the line and makes all the girls fall in love with him.

Personally i think they got it right. What Johnny did was disgusting. Nick acted like a downright idiot the whole episode yes, but he had one very strong argument on his side.

He had always been receptive to everyone he had ever worked with, and never had a problem with anyone during a writing session. Johnny however, was always a stresshead during writing sessions and had cracked the shits over nothing on more than one occasion.

At the end of the day, agree or disagree, I think Nick’s quote at the end of the episode was bang on the money.
    “I think you are a talented songwriter. I think you do have a lot of something. But bottom line is if you walk in with an attitude where you’re not gonna listen to anybody, you’re gonna get what you got”

19. Paul Says:
    July 17th, 2011 at 11:25 am

Also, in response to ‘Chelsea’ who said “Nick hasn’t produced anything that lives up to his self-promotion. He’s an egotistical baby who, when he didn’t get his way, stomped out of the play yard and essentially took his ball home”.

I ask, does Nick being an ‘egotistical baby’ mean he is not a good song writer?

Nick’s talent has been apparent from the very first episode, where he slept through the entire hook process and still not only won the hook contest, but the entire episode. Should the fact that he slept through the entire 30 minutes he had to write his hook affect our opinions of the finished product?

Of course not.

This is show to find the best song writer, not the nicest guy.

20. Peter Says:
    July 17th, 2011 at 11:33 am

I think when the judges watch the episode it will only make them feel better about there decision. Everyone doesn’t like Nick, but the Fact is he was trying to contribute and Johnny was just not listening and being a snob towards Nick. Nick was willing to put differences aside and write, Johnny was being hard headed the whole time. Johnny says Nicks songs all sound similar, but he needs to look at his own songs. He is a John Mayer wanna be. He couldn’t even swear he was being open when put on the spot. Johnny is a smug asshole, and Nick although cocky is very talented in his genre of writing.

21. Cjelmo Says:
    July 17th, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I watched this show even when they changed the show time to a non primetime. However, after viewing this last show, I will not be watching. Johnny was clearly the most talented on this show while Nick is not talented and a big baby. Hope the judges now realize their big mistake. One more time, the judges vote drama over talent!

22. pthit Says:
    July 17th, 2011 at 8:39 pm

johnny was a weasel. he totally shut nick out. and that is the one huge DONT of collaboration. of course nick couldn’t contribute bc johnny wouldn’t let him.

i actually used to be a bigger fan of johnny but he really showed an ugly side in that episode.

23. Kim Says:
    July 18th, 2011 at 2:12 am

Look…I am not a fan of Nick’s but let’s look at the facts…
    1. Nick put it on the table like he had with other contestants in the past that he didn’t like Johnny but would works with him.
    2. Nick came in the next day having prepared a melody as well as bridge. Johnny shot down everything because of his ego. Like it or not Nick has good ideas.
    3. Johnny’s song was truly a disaster… Since they are being judged the that song.. It makes sense that Johnny went home.
    Judges made the wrong call. I am sure if you look at the episode again you would see that. Putting feelings aside.

24. Lisa Princ Says:
    July 18th, 2011 at 11:22 am

I agree 100%. I think they both had their faults but they are both very good. I am dumbfounded as to why the judges just didn’t give a pass this week and let them both continue on in the competition as they are two of the strongest writers, kwim?

Comments