Bethenny Frankel’s Toxic Cocktails Ripped From Shelves

September 06, 2011 09:12 AM by Lisa Princ

Former star of The Real Housewives of New York City, Bethenny Frankel is known for her Skinnygirl line of adult beverages, which have been a huge hit, but now they are being taken off the shelves of Whole Foods, as they have been deemed unnatural and possibly toxic. Read on to find out why, and what the Bravo star has to say about it!

Bethenny Frankel, who was once a star on The Real Housewives of New York City, is also well known for her “Skinnygirl” drink line. The drinks, which boast around 100 calories for every four ounces, have recently been pulled off the shelves of Whole Foods, as they claim the product is not “natural”, which is something the store boasts of. The drinks contain sodium benzoate, which is linked to cancer when mixed with certain things, such as vitamin C, according to experts.

Bethenny Frankel did not take it lightly however, as the star responded by stating: “I’m not making wheatgrass here. If I could put an agave plant and some limes on a shelf I would. The Skinnygirl Margarita is as close to nature as possible, while still being a shelf-stable product.” Bethenny’s reps have also said that since they were not selling at many Whole Foods stores, they decided to end their relationship with the chain.

The drink line continues to do well in other stores, and they will continue to sell it. Bethenny Frankel said earlier that she knew the line would be bound to “piss someone off,” but she continues to reap the benefits as the drinks have earned her nearly 120 million dollars thus far. Have you tried the “Skinnygirl” line by Bethenny Frankel? Will you continue to drink it even though some claim it can be toxic? Comment and share your thoughts with us!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and “like” us on Facebook! For other great Reality TV News, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: The Real Housewives of New York City and then come and discuss the show on our Reality TV message boards.

Photo Credit: Bravo

Topics: Bravo Reality TV Shows, The Real Housewives Of New York City |

7 Responses to “Bethenny Frankel’s Toxic Cocktails Ripped From Shelves”

1. Lola Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 9:43 am

I have never tried the Beverage and don’t really have the desire she is obnoxious! As in very unpleasant – no class – but hey she made some money for herself. I have no desire for The Skinny Big Mouth Beverage! Cheers!

2. Marie Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 10:38 am

Screw Whole Foods. I don’t shop there – as I am overweight I wouldn’t want to insult them by spending my money there. I remember hearing that they make their portly staffer pay higher premiums on their health insurance.

3. Laurie Cervantes Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 10:39 am

No, I sure won’t be purchasing any of that line, or any other line with same ingredients, now that I’m aware of it. I’d rather go w/o alcohol than knowingly pour potentially toxic chemicals down my pie hole!! :-)

4. Priscilla Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Don’t you worry that by using such misleading headlines, your site will lose its credibility?

1. The Skinnygirl Margaritas were not ripped from the shelves; Whole Foods simply did not reorder them.

2. The ingredient you are calling “toxic” is widely used in carbonated beverages, salad dressings, pickles and jams. And there is no proof it is “toxic.”

Sure these screaming headlines could get your a little traffic, but I bet you won’t see many repeat visitors.

5. Jeanne Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 1:47 pm

This is the most sensational, and inaccurate, headline I’ve read in a long long time. That deserves a pat on the back She Knows!

Regardless, people aren’t drinking this because it is all natural and certainly adding one preservative to sustain shelf life and mean USDA standards for food/drink, I think – we can all live a little. And if that means Whole Foods won’t sell it, fine. The rest of us have been buying it from other locations just fine for a long time now.

6. Jule Says:
    September 6th, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Everyone is so jealous of bethennys success. The wolves are circling because ppl can’t bear for someone to do well. She made a fabulous deal and obviously the company she sold it to checked out what they were buying with that large amount of money at stake. Be happy for her. I think itnis awesome!

7. Karen Says:
    September 9th, 2011 at 11:47 am

I bought a bottle and thought it was awful, drank one glass (after mixing it with some flavored water), and threw the rest of the bottle away. Cuervo makes a 100 calorie margarita that is a thousand times better than SkinnyGirl. I used to like Bethenny, but success has definitely gone to her head. I’m happy that she found happiness and success, but now she’s just become arrogant and I no longer enjoy watching her.

Comments