October 25, 2011 10:00 AM by Lisa Princ

Last night on ABC‘s Dancing With The Stars, judge Len Goodman was not the only one to spark angry feelings with his harsh critique. After Chaz Bono’s performance, Bruno Tonioli referred to Chaz as a penguin, but Lacey Schwimmer, unlike Maks, kept her mouth shut during the show. After the show however, both Lacey Schwimmer and Cher fired back at Bruno over the remarks. Read on to find out what they had to say!

The judges of Dancing With The Stars were on a roll last night with their harsh critique, and while Maksim Chmerkovskiy went off Len Goodman, Lacey Schwimmer kept quiet during Bruno Tonioli’s comments. After their performance to “Phantom Of The Opera,” Bruno Tonioli referred to Chaz Bono as “a cute little penguin trying to be a big menacing bird of prey”. Rest assured though as neither Cher, nor Lacey Schwimmer were happy about the comments, although Lacey Schwimmer admitted that she wished she had the courage that Maksim Chmerkovskiy did as she told reporters after the show: “he had the courage to stand up for him and his partner, and I think that is amazing. A lot of us wish we would say stuff, but we never do. We’re afraid of it.”

Despite her timidness around the judges, Lacey had no issues airing out her feelings on Twitter as she wrote: “So proud of Chaz! He got under scored again, and tonight’s comments were the cherry on top. Having a judge refer to him as an animal every week is so rude and unnecessary.” Lacey also said to reporters that she felt as if Chaz was being bullied by the judges, and she was left in tears backstage after their performance.

Cher also made it a point to air out her true feelings on Twitter after the show last night as she posted: “IS IT DWTS Or LOOKING PERFECT WTS? ITS EASY 4 HIM 2 TAKE CHEAP SHOTS AT CHAZ ! LET HIM COME 2 ‘MY’ STAGE. I COULD TEACH HIS LITTLE ARM WAVING ASS SOME MANNERS! Critique CHAZ’S DANCE STYLE, MOVEMENTS ETC,.BUT DON’T MAKE FUN OF MY CHILD ON NAT.TV.” Cher also referred to Bruno Tonioli as a “bully” judge, but Bruno has praised Chaz Bono in the past, so we don’t see how he is “bullying” anyone – maybe we are missing something here? Bruno Tonioli, nor his reps have yet to respond to any of the comments.

Did you feel that Bruno’s comments were warranted last night? Comment and share your thoughts with us!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook! For other great Dancing With the Stars news, please feel free to check out Sir Links A Lot: Dancing With The Stars and then come and discuss the show on our reality TV message boards.

Photo courtesy of  ABC!

Topics: ABC Reality TV Shows, Chaz Bono, Dancing With the Stars |

34 Responses to “Cher And Lacey Schwimmer Fire Back At Bruno Tonioli Over Chaz Bono Critique Last Night”

1. Rachel Dumaguing Says:
    October 25th, 2011 at 11:22 am

I agreed with Cher that Bruno was too harsh with Chaz. I strongly believe that an ANIMAL like the Penguin cannot be compared to any Human being. As a Human being HIMSELF

2. Ben from Baltimore Says:
    October 25th, 2011 at 11:42 am

Bruno has ticked the wrong one off, now! You would think that he would have learned after his spat with Michael Bolton, but apparently he hasn’t. Now that Chaz’s mom Cher is mad, he might be kissing this job goodbye because Cher has the pull to get him fired. Cher has a lot of contacts from years in the entertainment business. He better be kissing Cher’s bare feet if he wants to keep his job.

3. Leslie Says:
    October 25th, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I think Bruno was extremely unkind,demeaning and very unprofessional when he called Chaz a cute little penguin last night-it smacked of his nasty comments he made to Billy Ray Cyrus in a previous season. These stars are not dancers and they are doing their very best to say nothing of the courage it takes to step outside their comfort zone in front of millions of people and then to have to suffer comments that are demeaning and cruel. Chaz works very hard and it is tough enough not to have the same ability as some of the others without having someone crucifying him with words instead of praising his work ethic and courage. I don’t know where else to post this so I hope this makes it to Bruno’s attention!

4. Eric Says:
    October 25th, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Bruno’s an idiot,he still translating from italian to english and no matter what doesn’t matter,if you want to speak a different language you CAN’T think in the original one or the one you are used to every day!!! I can’t stand that QUEEN OR the maks QUEEN,either!!Sorrfy true to myself!!!XXALL

5. Kelly Says:
    October 25th, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Chaz is nothing less that a true man of class!

6. LG Says:
    October 25th, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Bruno should noticwhoop awful he looks like before he makes rude comments – he would never leave the house again if he knew all the things we say about him – i’ll be nice and just say he looks retarded, like a munchkin with down syndrome – he is so puny and gross! Get rid of him already!

7. flora reilly Says:
    October 25th, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Bruno Tonioli’s comments are never appropriate in my opinion and his behavior is appalling. He uses the show for his own ego, and is an obnoxious and disgusting person. Before DWTS who even knew he existed? He’s sexist and some of the things he says to the female contestants border on harassment in my opinion. Oh, I’m loving being able to dis on Bruno. As for Maks, he has an ego the size of the planet, but is an incredible dancer and every partner he works with improves tremendously. I’m glad to see him defend his partner, but I do think his ego often makes his mouth run amok. I don’t know why he thinks DWTS is “his” show.

8. jE Says:
    October 25th, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Man up Chaz, step being such a whiny girl

9. Cal Says:
    October 25th, 2011 at 8:14 pm

It’s a Crappy show and the Judges are out of their mind.. The sole purpose is to turn amateur celebrity’s into dancing stars and to grade their improvements weekly, not grade them as though the are already professionals.. All three of the judges need to be replaced.. They are obnoxious and ignorant. Maks did the right thing that Millions of us are saying! Every week these people bust their ass to learn the dance taught to them by the pro’s who take pride in their training. Why don’t the three stooges try this for a couple weeks and lets see how well they do.. CarryAnn needs to get a grip.. she’s a Ass kisser and Bruno is out of his flamboyant mind and needs to get a real job .. he’s a disgrace to the Gay Community. WAY TO GO MAKS… And Way to Go Chaz for having the Balls to do this in the first place.

10. Bren Says:
    October 25th, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Bruno called Chaz an “Ewok” then a “penguin”…he was making fun of his weight, which IS a form of bullying. Can you imagine if he called Nancy Grace a “cow” or “pig”????? That was the point Chaz was making.

Bruno needs to be off.

11. me Says:
    October 25th, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Bruno needed to apologize but I haven’t heard him do that – booo!

12. Eric Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 6:23 am

as a GAY MAN I’m sick and tired of being embarrased by this awful QUEENS on T V. Maks,Bruno,Joshua(proj run),are the worse!!! regular people tend to belive all gay people are like that.WE ARE NOT!!!!

13. Phyl Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 6:35 am

If the judges keep this up, they will no longer have stars agreeing to be on the show. Who wants to work his/her ass off, only to be humiliated on national tv? The judges should be ashamed. Maks was right – people are not judged fairly, and Chaz was pure class!

14. Neena Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 6:39 am

All of the judges need to go. It’s obvious they have their favorites from the very beginning and will prop them up no matter how bad of a performance they have. Contestants fall down and still get better marks than others who were more deserving. They gush all over some dancers, yet belittle others. They’ve turned it into a popularity contest – “we like you so you can stay.”

15. sue Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 6:54 am

Bruno’s comments were uncalled for to say the very least. Even if someone doesn’t dance very well you do not insult them personally. Lyn is mean sometimes but he doesn’t get personal about their size and compare them.

16. daphne Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 8:35 am

Bruno should be suspended from he show. Such outstanding ill menners are never in style, or appropriate. Congratulations to Chaz for his courage in doing the show, and his restraint in the face of Bruno’s verbal bullying. A true class act.

17. Rosemary Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 8:40 am

MR. TONIOLI needs to get reality check on peoples feelings & only comment on their preformance not their body structure. He not only has done this to Chaz but to others also. He don’t dare do that to Nancy Grace she will chew him a new “butt hole” off the air. Yes, bullying needs to stop in this world & should start with live TV….

18. Mama D Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 9:17 am

I DO think that Bruno’s comments went over the line. I don’t think he meant harm, however, he did do harm and it was uncalled for. I hope he apologizes to Chaz either publicly or privately or both. Cher is right, critique him on his dance..give him constructive criticism he can work with. Comparing him to animals and little movie creatures was not okay. Chaz is right, had he done this to a woman, he would have been crucified. But somehow it’s okay to name call the ‘fat guy’? I applaud Chaz for how far he went, for going way outside his comfort zone to be a role model for people everywhere who might be stuggling. And the truth is, he stayed as long as he did NOT from advocacy votes but because he is what DWTS is supposed to be about….charm, entertainment…he lit up the room with his smile and joy…and it’s supposed to be a journey of watching people who do not dance, LEARN to dance!! If it’s about who is actually the BEST dancer, then hey, that’s easy, just always get celebs with a dance background like Nicole Scherzinger, who was so boring to watch because she was already an accomplished dancer when the show started. Chaz ended his run with class and grace.

19. Mama D Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 9:18 am

PS Bruno was definitely getting boo’d last night for his penguin comment. I agree “me”…Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

20. Somehow Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 9:29 am

Bruno was way out of line. I hope he makes some sort of public apology. I’m not sure the apology would be sincere but he should handle this. It’s awful.

21. BC Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 9:40 am

Bruno was very disrespectful calling Chaz an Ewok and a penguin.

(I could have said, “Miss Bruno was very disrespectful” but that would have been very disrespectful.)

22. oj525 Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 10:04 am

Bruno was out of line as was Lin …but HURRAY for Maks..Bruno needs to apologize..

23. Janis Arnold Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 10:06 am

I think the Bruno is a bully, this is an amature contest and the insulting things he says are SOOOO mean. How does he get to stay?

24. Irene Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 10:09 am

I hate when I have to jump thru hoops to make comment. I just stick to one site. So I am following thru here because it is simple.
    Here goes:

I think all the judges should have gone. All the other competition shows (sytycd/singoff/ai) have altered or have always had judges that give constructive criticism. Not bullying.

Supposedly it is coming out that it is planned. I will finish the end but I am done with this show. They would have to get rid of all the judges on this show for me to stay. ABC Disney is becoming known as a big bully.

As more comes out about this show, it will be brought down.

I thought the treatment of Michael Bolton was dispicable. Bruno has mental persons because no one can be that weird. Len changes his critiques to how he like someone. He has even said as much when he says something to the fact that the dance was entertaining which dismisses the mistakes. HUH
    Carrie Ann is obviou for the same reasons as Len. The lift foregiven because the dance was good. These comments are all on tape somewhere. There are other judges out there that would be better.

Why not Louie or some others? He has won emmys on other shows I am not sure who owns this show and it is usually the politics that keeps the status quo. These judges are nutty.

25. TJ Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 11:06 am

Bruno is a sad little man. He is a bully and a sexist pig. He does this show just to get his 10 seconds in front of the camera for each critique. His gyrating and attempts at his little dances are disgusting, as is he. It is not just Chaz, he is rude and objectionable most of the time. GOOD FOR YOU CHAZ, YOU ARE MUCH MORE OF A MAN THAN THAT LITTLE PUKE!

26. Nancy Scott Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 11:30 am

Judges should judge the dance and not the person or the appearance of the person. Bruno and Len are both guilty of bullying the contestants. Why invite people who have no experience dancing and put them up against people like Donnie and Marie Osmond? It’s a total sham (and a shame). Do judges in professional ballroom dancing contests really say these things? I’d like to know. I have not seen judges in other sports say rude things like this. I think ABC needs to have a policy change or this show will go under.

27. Andy Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 4:54 pm

I hope Bruno gets what he has coming to him. I think he will. I don’t think all this is just another flash in the pan.
    If this was in Italy, he would get his legs broken. Wouldn’t that be nice?

28. Heather Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I use to like Bruno, but over time he has become a rude insulting asshole

29. RALPH Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 9:01 pm

GET BRUNO OFF THE SHOW, HE DOES NOT FIT THE PROFILE OF A JUDGE. GET RID OF THIS GUY

30. mary Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 6:15 am

didnt really care for Maks until he told Len off…good for him. this show is about dancing…not how someone looks. wish Len and Bruno would look in the mirror….can think of a few animals they both resemble.

31. J. V. Coffey Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 8:52 am

Oh lord, give me strength. I take it none of you has ever heard the comparison between someone in a tux to a penguin? It has to do with the color of the outfit and nothing to do with the dude’s weight. That’s why nuns were referred to as penguins. Geezus, people.

Cher and Chaz need to suck it up and get over it. This all started with the protest by the fundies and he’s been carrying a chip on his shoulder ever since. That fact that his dance moves were like an ewok in the forest means the guy can’t dance. Nothing more. If he’s over sensitive about his weight, that’s his problem, not ours.

Everyone needs to take a deep breath and stop being so sensitive and PC about things.

32. Margaret Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 12:59 pm

ABC needs to clean house.Its a dancing show. Not a show to call people names.Thats a reson for me not to watch this show. Until some one steps forward & stops the word calling names, its not worth my time .Thank god we can change to other shows & not have to put up with these stupid judges!!! Chaz did very well, I admire what he did.He is a better man than the judges.If enough folks would send a comment to ABC, things could change!!!Send in your emails to ABC!!!

33. David Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 4:56 pm

chaz bono is a freak. He is a girl freak. Maybe he or she has a pair.

34. Donna Says:
    February 25th, 2013 at 5:24 am

Chaz Bono is not a freak and how rude David. Speaking of rude, GO TO HELL!

Comments