October 26, 2011 01:52 PM by Lisa Princ

Maksim Chmerkovskiy had no problems airing out his feelings about the judges on ABC‘s Dancing With The Stars this week, after Len Goodman told Hope Solo that it was her worst performance yet. Maks recently stood his ground about what he said, and now the hot-headed Ukrainian dancer refuses to apologize to anyone. In fact, he even bashed fellow dance pro, Derek Hough! More after the jump!

Maksim Chmerkovskiy lost his cool on judge Len Goodman this week, telling Len that maybe it was time he got out (of the business), and don’t expect Maks to apologize anytime soon. Maksim Chmerkovskiy paid a visit to Good Morning America this morning, where he vented yet again as he said: “I had a long conversation with my dad and I don’t regret anything. That’s why I think I’m misunderstood in this situation. Everyone is waiting for me to bow my head and plead for forgiveness. I have nothing to apologize for. I’m in the business because I love it. I can’t really lose with remarks like this.”

And the judges are not the only ones Maks addressed on Good Morning America. Earlier this week, fellow dance pro, Derek Hough said of Maksim Chmerkovskiy’s tirade: “As a seasoned professional, you should know not to do that, I think. There’s sort of an amount of self control,” and Maks was more than happy to slam Derek Hough right back as he told the host: “Derek Hough has been very supportive of his personal career on the show. When you say judges have been generous, with all due respect, if I had Nicole Scherzinger followed by Jennifer Grey followed by Ricki Lake, I probably would not be very upset with the judges either.”

Wait a minute…wasn’t Maksim Chmerkovskiy the one who wanted Hope Solo as his partner? Is Maks trying to tell us that he doesn’t get the same talented partners as Derek Hough does? Hmm, we can’t help but wonder if this is going to spark a feud among the pro dancers. One thing Maksim did agree with was the harshness towards Chaz Bono as he also said: “One thing I’m not going to embrace is pointing fingers and disrespectful remarks. Why are judges allowed to compare us to animals and point their fingers and we can’t show our opinion?”

What did you think of the heated exchange by Maks and Len Goodman this week? Should Maksim Chmerkovskiy apologize? Comment and share your thoughts with us!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook! For other great Dancing With the Stars news, please feel free to check out Sir Links A Lot: Dancing With The Stars and then come and discuss the show on our reality TV message boards.

Photo courtesy of  ABC!

Topics: ABC Reality TV Shows, Dancing With the Stars, Maksim Chmerkovskiy |

53 Responses to “Maksim Chmerkovskiy Refuses To Apologize To Dancing Judges And Slams Derek Hough”

1. pat weston Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Derek is a much better choreographer than Maks. Part of the problem with his Monday nite performance with Hope was the dance routine. As for the criticism, perhaps everybody ought to take a step back and count to ten. This is a TV show meant to be entertaining~~not World War III.

2. M. Cole Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I fully agree with, and support Maks observations, because he’s 100% right.

As a viewer, it is easy to pick up on the “judges favorites” and someone else can do just as good and get poor marks.

It was time that someone stepped up and called it like it is.

3. VERA GRAMANN Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I agree with Max in that those judges should stick to judging with numbers and not rude personal remarks to those people that work so hard, there are a lot worse dancers on there this season than Max’s partner which I think she did a lot better than Nancy Grace ( who should have been gone) and David Arquette who acts like an idiot

4. Lisa Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I 100% agree with Maks that these Judges go overboard. You can give constructive criticism without name calling. In my opinion the handling of Chaz was much worse than Maks and Hope. I will most likely not be wasting my time with the show any longer

5. Aurora Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I totally agree with Maks. Why can the judges call the dancers Ewoks and penguins but the first time a Pro says something to them they get mad? The stars are rookie’s and ballroom dancing is hard and for the stars to put their all in every week and then get berated is really hard. I understand they are judges but dont be rude. You can say things differently without being so condesending. So to you judges dont dish out what you cant take!

6. Sil Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 4:24 pm

He shouldn’t apologize for anything. They are judges who are supposed to use their technical knowledges to judge the performances they witness, not make funny remarks on people who are working their @sses off. He felt his partner was being treated badly and he stepped up for her. That’s a man.

7. Leslie Bales Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 4:31 pm

You tell em Maks! When you are constantly put down each week when you know you are trying your hardest it comes to a point when you just blow! I thought Maks could’ve been much worse. Hope is a champion athlete & when you tell her outright that she’s not giving her all that is totally wrong. All she knows is to “give it all she’s got.” That’s an athletes mindset. The judges are expecting perfection from celebrities who don’t dance. They are way too picky. They need encouragement not condemnation. And as much as I enjoy watching Derek dance & his great choreography Maks was right. How does he end up with the best looking celebs in the best shape which makes his job that much easier??? Food for thought. :-)

8. Robert Stiles Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 4:41 pm

I agree with Max on his opinion about the judging not being fair and who gets what partners. Seems strange on almost every vote the judge on each end are the same and the one in the middle (LEN) is always one point lower. It does not figure. He is very judgemental and condiscending.

9. Jay Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 6:07 pm

It’s a complicated situation. The judges are there to JUDGE. To CRITIQUE. Many times that will include some harsh words. That should be expected and embraced.

But I do agree that their comments are getting more and more personal and less about the dancing. A comment like “This was your worst dance,” should be taken at face value. I comment like “You look like an Ewok” should NEVER be uttered.

But the pros are NOT there to promote themselves, they are there to facilitate the “celebrities”. Pros should know better than to create drama. If you don’t like the judges comments, approach them in private and straighten it out – but acting like a petulant 5 year old should result in termination.

10. Pat Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Maks doesn’t really need to apologize. He really should keep his mouth shut and express his feeligs to each of them in person. Creating a hassle on TV really bothers me. It’s unprofessional for someone like him.

11. Shawna Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Jay said it perfectly.

12. anonymous Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Maybe it’s not Derek’s dancers…maybe Derek Hough is just a better teacher than Maks. Jennifer grey and Ricki Lake are both over forty but is/was able to beat younger contestants.

13. joy Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 7:23 pm

you fucking assholes erased my comments

14. Bj Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 7:26 pm

If DWTS wants a fair contest, they need to kick off the 3 judges they have, and get new judges. I have quit watching because I am tired of hearing one of them put down a dancer every singe week. Max was right on!! It is not funny that Len is “grumpy” every week except when his favorite dances , it has been very transparent for several years, that this isnt about dancing, its about which judge likes you more. I wish they would take if off the air and bring a new show on.

15. Nell Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 7:37 pm

If the dance was to bring out Hope’s femininity and sexiness why didn’t they put her in a better outfit. What she wore was about the gringiest outfit I’ve ever seen on DWTS. She looked like she was in rehearsal. Maybe Mak’s problem is not getting poor dancers but how he turns his partners off and discourages them with his nasty attitude. He said the judges should not be so judgemental – uh! they are the “judges” Sorry but I was hoping Maks & Hope would be the ones eliminated this week. Oh well, maybe next week. And yes, the ewok comment was uncalled for.

16. brenda Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I think Max had every right to speak up for his partner and the other contestants that they denegrate so much….the judges should stick to judging the dancing and not judging the personal looks and saying whatever rudeness comes to mind without thinking about how it feels to be humiliated. This is the last time I watch this show..it has gone downhill in the last 3 seasons and I am done with it.

17. Bryan Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Max tends to be a little bit (well, 100%) arrogant, and seems to have quite a high opinion of himself.

I don’t necessarily think he should have to apologize..but I do agree with the JUDGES in the fact that part of Hope’s problems this past week was the choreography…or lack there of. All she did was stand in place and run her hands all over her body…

And by Max saying that Derek gets all the best celebrities…isn’t Max pretty much saying that Hope isn’t any good.

Perhaps Derek is just a better teacher than Max is….God knows he’s a better dancer and choreographer.

18. Gee Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I agree with everyone above that agrees with Maks! It’s not right that the judges can continually demean the amateurs and/or pros and then just sit there unscathed. I’m glad Maks had the b…guts to let Len have it! He shows way too much favoritism. We’re with you Maks!!! Derek is definitely no Maksim!

19. Juby Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 9:43 pm

No he has no reason to apologize…the judge is rude and mean to the people he doesn’t personally care for. I’m so appalled at the way he treated Chaz Bono that I won’t watch the show again if that judge is on it next time. Maks is right, that judge should get out of the business, and let someone else get in who can judge the DANCING and not how a dancer LOOKS…I say good for Maks for speaking up…

20. Karen Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 10:26 pm

I completely agree. Mak should be terminated. I hope the producers deal with the “non-constructive comments” that are more frequently coming from the judges but Maks manner of getting his point accross was crass and low class. He could have delivered the message in another manner. Throwing Derek under the bus was despicable. Those women request Derek because he is the best and they are only great because he is such a good teacher, dancer and choreographer. Mak had partners every bit as good Nicole = Brandy and Mel B (identical backgrounds), Jennifer had a few dances 25 years ago in a movie, was not a trained dancer with metal and hardward and body literally fell apart during the show yet Derek camoglouged that. Hope is not a good dancer and Mak has the single distinction of blowing the biggest sure thing “ringer” the show has. No Olympian has ever lost until Evan Lycecek and he came in 2nd. Maks coachin, methods for the partner he courted in the press actively and then got and is now single handedly producing the worst showing for an Olympian in the show’s history. His jealousy for Derek and his success is sour grapes. He has benefited professionaly from this show and Derek has never publically pimped for a partner like Maks had. The last 3 parteners admitted in packages that the asked for Derek as their partner because they knew he is the best. Good riddance Maks. You are a disgrace and so unprofessional. You had some good points but your classless deliver denigrated your message. I hope you are dealt with by the producers and voted off this week.

21. Kate Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 10:39 pm

I agree with Maks that Len was harsh with the comments but I do agree with the judges that Hope did a poor job and does not seem to be improving. When Len pointed his finger at Maks and raised his voice and told him he was to blame, I think Len was being unprofessional, not Maks. I think Maks handled the situation like anyone would have. He was protective of his student. Bruno’s comment to Chaz calling her a penquin was uncalled for and very unprofessional of him. Even if he thought she looked like a penquin, it was not directly related to her dancing and should not have been said. You could see in her face that Chaz was upset by the comment. I felt sorry for her.

22. SHERRYL SCHULTE Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 10:58 pm

I agree with Max,He is a part of the show, I have watched it from the start and he was not upset about what the Judges said about him but was defending his celebrity. The judges are there to judge but they need to leave their hurting remarks
    to themselves.

23. shirley Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Len is out of line every week. The other two seem to be following him. The majority of the “Stars” have never had a dance lesson of any kind. They do very well every week. There is a big difference in being rude to someone and being a critic. Mak has had it as have I with the judges. As the old saying goes, “You can walk by a dog every day and kick it- but after awhile, it will bite you” Mak bit Len – finally.

Len is too old to be on there. The style of dance he knows is out. There is a competition on PBS for his style. Some of these professionals have appeared there. This show takes the dances that Len is familiar with and makes them modern for todays audience.
    I for one like it. And Mak has made that show what it is. No apology necessary.

24. Diane Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 12:28 am

The celebrity dancers are not professionals and the judges comments directed at them should be constructive and not destructive. I cringed at some of the comments directed toward chaz. Glad he spoke up for himself.

25. Karen Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 3:18 am

I totally agree with Maks and he knows more about what goes on behind the scenes than any of us do. Yes Derek is good choreographer and he knows it. He’s kind of like the guy who goes around saying “look at me I’m cute”. The judges have not been “judges” they’ve been nasty and insulting! We probably won’t watch it the rest of the season cause Bruno is disgusting! We watch to see people improve dancing and the choreography, NOT the judges. Macks is right, Derek never gets someone who is dance challenged.

26. Sherry B. Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 3:19 am

My advice to the judges is, act professional..It won’t be long and the show will be off the air. Due to lack of celebrities wanting to participate..Chaz Bono and Hope Solo have my utmost respect. Hope is an outstanding athlete who does know how to accept criticism.. If some so-called judge called me names every week, and told me I wasn’t trying, I’d stay home…

27. Marty Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 4:30 am

Maks has NOTHING to apologize for… not to the judges OR to Derek!! The judges have be getting worse about showing favoritism towards certain Stars. I think the judges should stop with all the bashing of stars and start critiquing the dance. The PRO is responsible for content of the dance and THAT is not what should scored… we are scoring the STARS and HOW they performed the content given them!!! How you can give Nancy Grace a *9* on her performance and Hope *7*s I don’t understand!! The producers need to rein in Bruno with the overtly sexual remarks he makes to the female and the CRUEL remarks he makes to other contestants. You would think that due to BRUNO’S ‘preferences’ he would have been kinder to someone like Chaz if for the COURAGE it took for him to even be on the show!!! Bruno is CRUDE and CRUEL in his remarks and Len is crotchety and bias in his critisim and his scoring!!

28. jerry lee Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 4:45 am

i do not agree with maks display of temper or his lack of control. while the judges are seemingly harsher this year in their comments,they are still THE JUDGES!!!! get a grip maks.your lack of professionalism may be the reason you get the partners you complain about.and yes you did request hope.so if you cant stand the heat , dont go into the kitchen.with your comments you may be watching your brother next year from the sidelines.as far as derek goes, he has ricki lake for crying out loud. he has developed her skill and talent to the eqaual of j.r. who is with katrina and maybe maks jealous of her too.derek keep on doing the grreat job you are doing. maybe maks will get tired of eating your dust and work harder to develope his partners talent or maybe he will do us all a favor and quit the show.

29. karl amann Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 6:58 am

Anna Trebunskaya is the hottest dancer on the show! Hate it when she leaves.

30. Valeriy Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 7:04 am

Maks is completely wrong and should apologize. The judges were trying to be extremely supportive of Hope! But in the end, if her dance is awful, like it was, they can’t give her 10′s. Compare her dance for example to Riki’s or JR’s. Of course Riki and JR have to get a higher grade. And to say that Derek gets better partners than Maks is just funny. Maks wanted Hope, and honestly before the show, who would have thought that Riki would be a much better dancer than Hope? No one! Derek turned Riki into a great dancer, because Derek has talent, unlike Maks, who coreographed that pathetic Rhumba, and can’t teach his partners well. No wonder Maks has never won the show, nor even any major professional dancing title. He just doesn’t have the talent, and that’s not the judges fault. Hope is the same, she hasn’t won anything in her life either. Always the brides maid, never the bride. I feel bad for her, but it’s not the judges fault. They were all encouraging her, telling her they have faith in her, they expect her to dance in the final, and things like that. When has any of the judges said anything insulting to Hope? Never. Saying this is your worst dance is not insulting, that’s a fact, and they were trying to give her comments to improve for the future.

31. Bonnie Mckenzie Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 8:11 am

I think Maks was right to express his opinion just as the judges do, I think Maks is a great dancer and Hope has improved so much.I also don’t agree with the way Len insulted Chaz that was very rude.

32. Daisy Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 8:22 am

I think Maks SHOULD DEFINITELY apologize to both Len and Derek. He’s just a hot-headed guy who thinks everybody owes him. He needs to leave DWTS.

33. rachel Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 8:24 am

i agree with max. I personally am sick of watching the judges act like two year olds. I watch the show to see the dancers. I wish they would get some new judges in place. So yeah for Max- you the man.

34. Matthew Ryan Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 8:26 am

I agree with Maks for standing up for his partner. She danced his choreography; she tried something new. They should have given her constructive criticism. She hasn’t made great strides since day one, but she’s still better then half the dancers. More is expected of her. If I were Maks I’d stress that more is expected of her because she’s better and use that to my advantage- start making specific comparisons to other dancers.

35. Mimi Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 9:36 am

Max had the right to say what he did – and someone NEEDS to say things to these judges. It is fine to talk to the dancers about thier dances, but NOT talk crap about them personally. Cant stand any of the judges….and carrie ann needs to keep her mouth shut, no one was talking to you, Len can stand up for himself. We have all seen it. Same for Bruno the looney.

36. Isis Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 10:08 am

You go Max! Also, I was so angry at the treatment of Chaz Bono, that I wanted to slap those condescending “judges” right in the mouth. Those celebraties are ALL working thier butts off, doing the very best they can in the limited amount of time they have. Favoratism somes into play week after week. I admore each and every professional dancer, and the inexperienced stars they teach. Time for new judges, they are COMPLETELY replacable in my book!

37. sandy Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 10:09 am

I have felt for some time now that the judges do have their favorites and maybe that’s way some celebrities last longer on the show than they should. It was one thing when Len, commented on Hope’s dancing skills but when he told Max it was half his fault for the dance routine he took it too far. Len should be apologizing not Max. I can guarantee who will win this this competition it will be J.R, and Ricki will come in second. Doesn’t everyone already know that?????????????

38. Jeff Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 10:39 am

Maks should not apologize. He should be FIRED before he gets that chance. This isn’t his first outburst. He seems to like attention based on controversy. Derek gets his attention based on talent. I’m sure if the partners were switched (Derek had Hope and Maks had Ricki) it would be the same because Maks is the one that is trying to benefit his “personal career”.

39. Mary Schmid Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 10:40 am

You no what….I am so SICK of the JUDGES and Derek Hough! First of all do you honestly think for one minute any three of those judges could go out there and dance like Maks?? Ummm the answer is NO, they are 3 stupid and need to leave the show, get judges that can dance and be civil to the stars that have never dance in their lives but are on the show to have FUN! Second of all Derek Hough he is the MOST overrated pro on the show the could put him on the floor with a rag doll and the judges would praise him and give him 10′s, Tony is a much better dancer then Derek but never gets any credit sick of it all! Derek said Maks should of not said anything well listen here Derek you are a fellow pro dancer with Maks you should have his back not talking behind his back so you think you can score evstra points with the judges your all about yourself! Get over you small man sydrome Derek and act like a MAN!

40. Linda Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 10:42 am

I really enjoy DWTS but it seems to me that the judges should be more professional in their judging. In other words, leave out the name calling and comparing them to animals. I think Brunos’ remarks were totally out of line. I can understand Maks’ frustration, there may be something to the selection of partners.

41. Melissa Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 12:59 pm

The judges were wrong for referring the celebs to animals that is rude and disrepectful. Makism only told the truth Monday night. Now he did apologize for his one mistake Monday night about it being his show.

As a viewer I would really like to know what is the process of choosing what celeb is going to dance with what pro dancer for that season?

Maybe we the viewers should have a say in it next time. Let us vote on who should pair up with who.

42. Hope Says:
    October 28th, 2011 at 6:25 am

I totally agree with Maks he is very talented and has had great celebrities to dance with in the past. He had Brandy and Kirstie and was close to winning his first ball, but the judges can be unfair and give the best scores to those they have already chosen. Some deserve that praise and others don’t. I will continue to support Maks because he’s SO SEXY and TALENTED.

43. Mary Says:
    October 28th, 2011 at 6:27 am

You all need to grow up. Man up, as they say.

44. Sasha Says:
    October 28th, 2011 at 6:59 am

Wo really cares. This show is a complete waste of time anyways. All this drama is just for ratings. PERIOD. Isn’t that rather obvious? Seriously, even my grade school daughter figured that out on
    her own.

45. Clayton Freeark Says:
    October 28th, 2011 at 7:21 am

Maks is in the right. The judges, particularly Goodman, have been acting like the south end of a northbound horse for years. They need to be replaced with people who demonstrate less favoratism and judge the contestants as the amateurs most of them are, not as professional dancers.

46. brewster Says:
    October 28th, 2011 at 8:23 am

I was steamed seeing Chaz and Hope up there as the bottom two. I’m sure Maks was severely pissed at the judges who rated Hope one (1) point abvoe Chaz. REALLY???? Masybe the judges need to grow a set and start rating performances realistically.

And the comments referring to Chaz’s weight were totally uncalled for. DWTS has had its’ share of ‘beefy” women but there has neven been similar comment about them. Where is the apology to Chaz????

47. Pat Says:
    October 28th, 2011 at 9:34 am

Maks should have discussed his disagreements with the Producers of DWTS. I personally believe,the show’s judges definitely have their favorites. The judges comments should not attack the individual dancers, by name calling. This is demeaning and has no value. It is “past time” to get new faces for judges.

48. Kay Says:
    October 28th, 2011 at 11:09 am

First…this show USED TO BE STARS!!!!!! Now it is sports people (never heard of) etc.Didn`t know half of them this year…Chaz is not a star or dancer…his mother is…2 good couples were voted off and he should have been along with a couple more still on???? Go Figure….You can tell Len does not like Max…never has….He is one of the best dancers on and really sexy!!!!Leave Derek out of this…he is one of the best!!!!!! anyway I`m done watching only read about the show the next day…..

49. cc Says:
    October 28th, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I totally agree with Max. They better be getting some better judges or the ones they have should stop picking favorites or the show will quickly go downhill after this season. DON’T BACK DOWN MAX!

50. Kath Says:
    October 28th, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I personally believe that Maks finally hit his breaking point. For whatever reason Len has always had it out for Maks, no matter who his partner is, and as a result, his partners suffer. I really feel bad for Hope this season. Len complains about the times Maks doesn’t wear a shirt, when he uses props, when there is anything sensual on the dance floor in his choreography, whereas, Derek can practically have sex with his parters during the dance and it gets a 10! The judges are NOT judging. Judging appropriately is giving constructive criticism of the celebrity’s dancing. Len may not like the choregraphy, but don’t beat Maks up – it’s HIS art, not Len’s. And the name-calling, animal references and sexual comments have made me ill. I’m to the point where I use the judges’ “critique” time to go to the restroom, get a snack, or just mute them altogether!

51. Bill Says:
    October 28th, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Maks probably could have put things a bit differently, but I can understand his frustration. Some dancers are praised and marked highly for their “effort” as they walk around the floor. Even moreso than Len, Carrie-Ann needs to remove her lips from Rob Kardashian’s butt. And Nancy Grace’s too. Meanwhile, Maks’ dancer is being criticized for heel leads, and Chaz is being compared to animals.

Maks probably should not have said much about the partner selection, but only because it sounds like he’s unhappy with his own. However, it does seem that some people always get great ones, while people like poor Edyta used to get Cliffy and Jerry and Ashley Hamilton. However, I think that Derek should have kept his nose out of it, and not taken the shot at Maks. Derek generally has the favor of the judges, so he can’t know the frustration that Maks is feeling. Derek’s dancer was not Maks’ complaint anyway.

52. Carol Faver Says:
    October 31st, 2011 at 2:56 pm

When there are two conflicting personalities, I would think the person who has the contract gets the job. The dancers are invited from year to year. I don’t know if Maks will be invited to participate next year. If conflict is there, two people should speak with the powers that be and settle their differences in private. This is not WWE Wrestling, where every decision is made in public, suggesting that this was a huge publicity stunt, just like that.

53. N. Clarke Says:
    November 15th, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Stay your ground Max – get rid of the judges and start over.

Comments