Melanie Amaro Hid Her Accent So People Would Understand Her

November 25, 2011 12:00 PM by Lisa Princ

If you tuned in to The X Factor this week, then surely you noticed Melanie Amaro’s accent come out after weeks of hiding it. Melanie recently admitted that she was hiding her accent so people would understand her, but Paula Abdul‘s advice about being yourself hit home for Melanie, and she decided she could longer hide it. Read on for more of what Melanie had to say!

The X Factor‘s Melanie Amaro had been hiding her Caribbean accent for weeks – at least up until this week’s show. When Paula Abdul commented about “letting loose and being yourself,” Melanie took it to heart and let her accent out, but Melanie says it was not planned that way. Melanie Amaro recently spoke to People Magazine, where she revealed: “To be where I am, from where I’m from, here today, is a big, big thing. Not lots of people come out of the Caribbean to become big stars. I’m so humbled and so gracious and so thankful to be where I am that it just came out. I could not help myself.”

Melanie Amaro now feels like a weight has been lifted from her shoulders, and is relieved that she no longer has to hide her accent. But, why did she hide it from us this entire time? Melanie also told the magazine: “I would try to cover it up so that you could understand me. Some people say they have a hard time understanding me when I speak.” Do you think Melanie was wrong for hiding her accent this long? Comment and share your thoughts with us below!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and “like” us on Facebook! For other great The X Factor news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: The X Factor.

Photos courtesy of FOX

Topics: FOX Reality TV Shows, The X Factor |

8 Responses to “Melanie Amaro Hid Her Accent So People Would Understand Her”

1. princetian Says:
    November 25th, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I like her better without the annoying accent

2. Suzy Says:
    December 1st, 2011 at 1:53 am

Yeah…uh..I don’t by it, especially considering it’s so thick all the sudden. Most ppl aren’t able to cover up their native tongue without a hint of anywhere. I think she’s trying to keep herself interesting in the public, if it works for her, hey kudos to her, but personally, I don’t like it and I think it even makes me look at her a little different. Which wouldn’t have been the case if she was real from the get go..

3. Jen Says:
    December 1st, 2011 at 6:21 am

It’s amazing she was able to pull off an American accent. As an American, it’s really hard to speak with a Caribbean accent and I know my Trini friends can’t speak like me if they tried. Regardless of how she speaks, her voice is amazing.

4. Mark Says:
    December 1st, 2011 at 1:29 pm

I love her. She is a beautiful singer, and has a beautiful soul.

5. Carl Says:
    December 2nd, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I never liked her from the beginning and now with that horrible accent, I like her even less. I regret that Simon had to go and get her and invite her to be a contestant when he didn’t want her to begin with. I hope she does not win!

6. carol Says:
    December 3rd, 2011 at 11:22 pm

I found it quite strange that she out of nowhere began to speak with an accent. To me her not being herself from the start was just plain silly. Why she felt the need to do that I haven’t a clue! This is the United States and there are millions of people here with accents and don’t waste their time trying to change. She has an amazing voice that you can understand clearly, she has no accent in her voice when she sings so I don’t get it……I am a fan of her singing, she’s got quite the pipes. I think it would have been better for her to be herself from the beginning, I think now that she decided so late in the game to come out with it, people will tend to frown upon it and think she is not honest….that’s my biggest concern.

7. Shannon Says:
    December 8th, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I was a little annoyed that it all of a sudden came out. I think she is an amazing singer and I think she is using the accent to get people to notice her more. If she had it from the beginning it would have been fine. But, since all of a sudden it came out, it seems like she is doing it for votes, but she doesn’t need to rely on gimmicks she can rely on her voice, it is good enough!!!

8. Kaylin Says:
    December 12th, 2011 at 2:37 am

WoW! I have never ever heard of any singer with so much talent, passion, heart, soul, courage and love. The world really needs singers like that. A singer who would bring great messages to the world through their own music.

The best part is that she also has a STUNNING voice!

LOVE her to bits.
    I’ll definitely buy her first record

Comments