Karina Smirnoff Calls Off Her Engagement To Brad Penny

December 07, 2011 08:18 AM by Lisa Princ

Less than a month after Karina Smirnoff and J.R. Martinez took home the mirror ball trophy on Dancing With The Stars, Karina Smirnoff has called off her wedding to Tigers pitcher Brad Penny. What happened? Read on for all the details!

Karina Smirnoff announced previously that due to her strict schedule on Dancing With The Stars, and her determination to win the mirror ball with partner J.R. Martinez, she would be postponing her wedding to her fiance, Brad Penny. Now sources have revealed that the pair have actually split up, as Karina called off the wedding and the engagement! One source close to the pair told E! of the split: “They’re just different people.”

Karina Smirnoff and Brad Penny were introduced by UFC fighter, and mutual friend, Chuck Liddell. The couple started dating in October 2009, and in November 2010, Karina Smirnoff announced their engagement. Karina Smirnoff has been down this road before, with fellow dance pro, Maksim Chmerkovskiy, as the pair also had plans to wed, but things did not work out for them. Karina Smirnoff is still sporting her engagement ring from Brad Penny, sources claim, yet neither reps for Karina or Brad have commented on the split.

We wish Karina Smirnoff and Brad Penny all the best in the future! Let us know what you think, comment below.

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook! For other great Dancing With the Stars news, please feel free to check out Sir Links A Lot: Dancing With The Stars.

Photo Courtesy of ABC!

Topics: ABC Reality TV Shows, Dancing With the Stars |

34 Responses to “Karina Smirnoff Calls Off Her Engagement To Brad Penny”

1. diana Says:
    December 7th, 2011 at 9:29 am

What? Really, you do not call off your wedding engagement for a “mirror ball trophy” really! She just realized that she does not “Love” this man, and just said it was because of her schedule.

2. Barb Says:
    December 7th, 2011 at 9:41 am

At least she’s cancelling BEFORE the wedding!!!

3. Amber Says:
    December 7th, 2011 at 10:20 am

I think that Karina and Brad will work it out. I though Karina and J.R. did wonderful on Dancing With the Stars! Congratz on winning! Im verry suprized that she called of the wedding. I was not aware she was engaged. I really hopw all will work out!

4. Shelley Says:
    December 7th, 2011 at 11:08 am

I think that karina fell in love with j.r during the show. I think the most memorable moments between them was when he told her how he hurt himself in the war and the dances. I think they were made to dance and to be together.

5. Michelle Says:
    December 7th, 2011 at 11:40 am

Maybe if Brad Penny had a better season with the Tigers, they would have had more in common!

6. fernando Says:
    December 7th, 2011 at 12:12 pm

what shame karina u deserve the best hope u can resolve the ur problems with brad please dont be a kardasian congrats on winning the mirror ball u deserve it jr was awsome great job u too

7. Shirley Says:
    December 7th, 2011 at 12:17 pm

It never ceases to amaze me how involved people get with celebrities. It is her private business and reasons if she calls off her wedding, never gets married or what. I guess I am guilty of reading the gossip too. I just love to watch her dance and hope she continues sharing her talent.

8. Elaine Says:
    December 7th, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I agree whole heartedly with Shelley.

9. Dan Says:
    December 7th, 2011 at 12:47 pm

This woman looks to be a “GOLDDIGGER” EXTREME,2 men 2 rings, she keeps this up she can have her own Jewelry Store.

10. Susan Says:
    December 7th, 2011 at 1:05 pm

She is a great dancer but honestly I think she has fallen “in Love” with every male dancer she has…

11. Ed Says:
    December 7th, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Brad probably can’t dance, that’s why! lol And lest we forget she was heavily involved with Mario Lopez several seasons ago too. But I love Karina, she has such sex appeal and she is the best dancer they have. Go Girl!

12. ghost Says:
    December 7th, 2011 at 1:48 pm

At least she didn’t have some big fancy party like Kardashian and get divorced 72 days later. I feel bad that it didn’t work with her baseball player man. Before she met him, she seemed like a sourpuss. When she was engaged to him, she seemed to get softer and happier. I wish her the best. It just wasn’t right.

13. marc Says:
    December 7th, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Brad Penny is a putz anyway and she deserves better

14. Catherine Says:
    December 7th, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Karina is a FAKE,she LOVES getting engaged, she’ll never marry. I feel sorry for BRAD Penny…He’s a member of my BELOVED DETROIT TIGERS……BRAD there a DECENT CARING WOMEN OUT THERE FOR YOU, YOU DESERVE BETTER………….

15. Teri Says:
    December 7th, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I think she is kinda wishy washy don’t you think, like everyone is saying, she is in love every time you turn around. i just think she is in love with being in Love, does that make any scene.Oh well maybe one day she will be in love for real.

16. Erminia Ponce Says:
    December 7th, 2011 at 6:13 pm

To me she is just out for fame of the guy she is with. She was with Mario Lopez and HE dumped her so she went to Max and used him and now this other guy. She is a gold digger.

17. brad` Says:
    December 7th, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I will marry her! No questions asked:-)

18. Wanda Says:
    December 8th, 2011 at 3:26 am

I don’t think who they are engaged to going with matters at all. The dancer should convince us that their partner is their one and only. Its all a very difficult, icredible illusion. Which may account for Maks delusions that he is all that. Ick! and CHAZ get a sense of humore or dump some lbs. Bruno teases everyone. Steve Wozniak was called an ewok. Get over yourself! Lighten up. You weren’t that good. Whatever. I still love the show. I love the personalities too.

19. Deborah Says:
    December 8th, 2011 at 8:16 am

I like Karina on DWTS and do not know much of Brad Penny. Wish them both luck

20. Tigers Fan Says:
    December 8th, 2011 at 8:18 am

Phew, that was close…..So happy our Detroit Tiger won’t be marrying her, I couldn’t bare the thought of having her at Comerica Park and defacing it!

21. Jeff Says:
    December 8th, 2011 at 8:36 am

Why don’t respect Karinas private life and let her live her life the she wants to and not pubic? Also I feel sorry for her Not Brad because he did not come to terms how beautiful, smart, nice, charming she really is so he is fool thinking he would ever find another lady like Karina, Mario , Maks , Brad all lost out in my book because if were they I would do anything to be married to her !!! Take care Karina!!!

22. Nicole Says:
    December 8th, 2011 at 8:56 am

You know she is so flakey it isn’t even funny. First Mario then Maks then this dude, maybe she just loves the fantasy of being engaged. All I know is that she better not mess with J.R., he is engaged to his long time girlfriend who has been with him through all of his painful surgeries and he loves her. Julianna Hough and her nasty home wrecking self messed up that race car drivers relationship and now Karina better not do the same thing to J.R. Women have no shame now a days.

23. Jeff M Says:
    December 8th, 2011 at 9:15 am

I wish Karina nothing but the best , I guess she got cold feet and really not ready to settle down or did not want to get hurt again like her other two relationships and I know she is NO gold digger , she is a sweetheart and really nice beautiful warm , funny lady so people please no trash talk about her because she does not deserve it at all and please respect her privacy !! Mario, Maks , Brad don’t know what they lost and I hope they are satisfied because truly Karina is the BEST !!! Talke care Karina

24. kurt Says:
    December 8th, 2011 at 9:21 am

I AM JUST SO HAPPY SHE IS “NOT” MARRYING MAX!
    ALTHOUGH HE IS RIGHT ABOUT THOSE JUDGES ON THE
    SHOW. WHO DO THEY THINK THEY ARE ANYWAY, BRUNO
    IS A DISGRACE TO THE HUMAN RACE! ANYWAY GIRL,
    I HOPE U ARE HAPPY, WITH A REALLY GOOD GUY.

25. lame Says:
    December 8th, 2011 at 9:48 am

When that guy was with the L.A. Dodgers, he was engaged to more than one beautiful actress, always breaking up once they found out who he really is. Good girl Katrina, better now than later.

26. annette Says:
    December 8th, 2011 at 10:47 am

This doesn’t surprise me at all as Karina uses men and loses them after she gets what she wants. Brad is a great man who deserves better than her. Respect her privacy?- pleaae, she either tipped off the paparazzi as 2 where she would be or push others away 2 get herself in front of the cameras! Good riddance Karina!

27. amandabsnwv Says:
    December 8th, 2011 at 11:06 am

this is her third broken engagement in recent years. lets report the next engagement when she says I Do

28. Bruce Says:
    December 8th, 2011 at 11:23 am

Congratulations on winning with JR. I hope you win many more on dwts. You are at the very top of dancesport. Everytime you take someone on the dancefloor,your parter is always at his highest level. I’m an amatuer ballroom dancer. I only with I could dance even one dance with you. I would learn a great deal

29. Cici Says:
    December 8th, 2011 at 11:26 am

Nothing perfect in life; If it is perfect then all the lawyers are out of job right? Every woman wishes to be married iternity but somehow, life doesn’t turn out the way we want though. Some people have luck in love and some don’t.

30. Yolinda Says:
    December 8th, 2011 at 4:49 pm

So she wins a mirror ball trophy and now she’s too good for him? WTF?!

31. Joe the Plummer Says:
    December 8th, 2011 at 5:41 pm

I can see why she cancelled her engagement with Maks, he’s so arrogant and like a big bully. But what is the deal with Brad Penny….who is she looking for, Clark Gable, he’s dead Karina.

32. Jeff Says:
    December 8th, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Why all trash talk toward Karina? why? Just let Her live her life the way she wants to and watch her on the show and never mind about her private life people !!! GRRR

33. Audrey Says:
    January 14th, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I think it is her business. Celebrities have a right to live without being judged. I think she is the best dancer on that show along with Max. I hope they would eventually get back together. I thought they were so totally in love and it broke my heart when they broke up. I wish them both the best.

34. Randy Says: