Who Released Photos of Duggars’ 20th Child, Jubilee Shalom?

December 16, 2011 02:22 PM by Ashley Lee

When the Duggars of 19 Kids and Counting found out that Michelle Duggar suffered a miscarriage, the family did a few things to commemorate the loss of the one who would’ve been their 20th child: a) Jim Bob and Michelle named her Jubilee Shalom Duggar, b) they planned a memorial service, and c) they had black-and-white photos taken with the fetus and passed them out at yesterday’s memorial service. However, they never wanted them to be released to the public, especially during this sensitive time. So who shared them without the Duggar family’s consent?

Ironically enough, it was another Duggar who did such a thing: Amy Duggar, a cousin of the immediate family who often appears on 19 Kids and Counting, tweeted a photo of the commemorative handout. “RIP precious Jubilee Shalom Duggar! Can’t wait to meet you someday, thank you Lord for giving our family peace.”

TMZ republished the photos and, when taken out of context, these pictures seem like a cheap ploy for the family to take advantage of their reality-show-celebrity status and collect press. Because that’s what these people would definitely do during this difficult time, right? Wrong, says both the family and the photography agency who served them.

At first glance, the photos may appear disturbing: one captures Michelle’s finger holding Jubilee’s hand, and another is of Jim Bob’s hand holding her feet, along with the text, “There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.” Though these may be shocking image altogethers, they were meant to be honorable instead of exploitative, and ultimately help the family through the grieving process.

In fact, the photos were shot by a volunteer-run, nonprofit photography agency called Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep. The agency’s mission is “to introduce remembrance photography to parents suffering the loss of a baby with the free gift of professional portraiture…these images provide tangible proof that their child was real.” Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep was cofounded by Cheryl Haggard, whose son died shortly after he was born.

“I had photographs of my son, Maddox, that I had taken in the hospital with my digital camera and he was a little jaundiced and he had tubes and wires and the bright orange tape on his mouth, holding the wires in,” Haggard told The Daily Beast. “And to me, that was the reality that I lived. I see those images and I experience the sadness and that stressful time for us. But when I look at the black-and-white images that [a photographer] took, they are softer, more classic. Those are images I can show without feeling apprehensive. What happened to us was a complete shock, and those pictures bring me a lot of comfort.”

After Amy released the photos without the family’s consent, the Duggars eventually posted the photos on their own website, along with an audio recording of a letter from Michelle to Jubilee.

Jim Bob said at yesterday’s service, “We won’t be able to see this child’s life and the phases that we’ve seen for our other children, but we know we will see this child in heaven one day. We are thankful for each child, and we are blessed to have the children we have here and the ones we will meet someday in heaven.”

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook! For other great 19 Kids And Counting news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: Reality Television.

Visit our sister site SheKnows for more breaking news about celebrities and entertainment!

Photo credit: SheKnows.com via Scott Enlow/TLC

Topics: 19 Kids And Counting, TLC Reality TV Shows |

10 Responses to “Who Released Photos of Duggars’ 20th Child, Jubilee Shalom?”

1. vundi Says:
    July 19th, 2012 at 2:54 am

I am truly sorry for their loss but if you do not want something to get out it will not it was planned to boost their ratings but sorry 50 some year old women should stop trying to have more children isn’t 19 enough!!!! She lets the older kids raise the younger ones we do not need a show about a family raising many kids first Kate plus eight than octomom the duggars it shows people will do anything for money!!! I hope America stops this type of shows as nobody wants to see it!!!

2. etta bradley Says:
    July 30th, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Are you saying they planned to have this happen to boost ratings?Do you believe someone like the Duggars would ever arrange to have a child die for any reason?I may not agree with them when it comes to giving birth but I would not accuse anybody of this sort of thing.Maybe if you open your heart as big as your mouth you would understand that this baby means the world to them

3. amny Says:
    August 18th, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Vundi…who the hell are YOU to say anyone should stop having children?What right do you have to judge who should or shouldn’t have children.I just bet your the type of idiot who also counts other peoples money and decides when THEY have enough.You’re a vile piece of work.Coming from a big family myself(10) the older kids always helped with the younger ones..they didn’t raise us!!Are you an only child?One of two? Spoiled and taught that the world revolves around YOU and YOUR life? You make me sick…yo selfish,judgmental p.o.s.!!

4. Fireball Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 8:56 pm

NO KIDDING THEY love each and everyone of those kids. That is obvious. You are not the judge of anyone so bug off. Vundi so dont watch then. How sad. It is one of the most heart warming shows on tv.

5. Valorie Says:
    August 31st, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I really like the Duggar family. They have morals sorely lacking in the world today. God Bless us all!

6. linda Says:
    September 1st, 2012 at 9:31 pm

God gives and God takes away

7. Jenni Says:
    September 11th, 2012 at 10:35 pm

No, Amny, they are the selfish ones for having so many kids when the Earth is overburdened with a population of 7 BILLION people. They are energy and resource hogs and they are taking far more than their fair share. They could adopt if they have this need for a huge family. And the networks should stop glorifying these people and instead feature truly selfless people who adopt.

8. clara Says:
    September 25th, 2012 at 12:50 am

to have so many children is a bit unusual now to say the least… will they be able to have all the kids and their kids in one place for any event as they mature and marry???will those new children get to know each other??? its just too much for me to even think about … and to have a photo of the fetus and pass it around is macabre…they are not the only ones doing this..if they can support these kids wonderful …the same goes for others who keep having kids…if you can afford it great if not close the factory…

9. TyB Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I am so sorry for their loss. I truly sympathize. But, isn’t it time they stopped having kids. Why are they constantly bringing more lives into this world to purposely add to an already incredible population.Time to close up shop. She’s given all she had to give. There’s nothing left. I had a feeling this would happen after the last close call she had. Stop already!

10. Barbara Says:
    October 3rd, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I don’t agree with a family that big either but that is their business! As for selflessly adopting other kids or overpopulating the world.. People nowadays don’t even bother getting married anymore before having several kids all with different daddies. Other people should start changing THEIR life styles.
    This is actually a longtime MARRIED couple who Planned their family, support themselves financially, home school ALL their kids and raise them in a close, loving MORAL family unit! They even travel together and go to other areas to volunteer and show their kids how to give back to the world. I think OTHER people should learn some lessons from THEM!

Comments