Next Great Baker Recap: The Season Two Winner Is….

January 30, 2012 09:12 PM by Lisa Princ

Last week on Next Great Baker on TLC, we learned which three contestants would be heading into the season two finale. Tonight, it was finale time, but was it Ryan, Marissa, or Nadine that would take home the ultimate prize? Read on for all the highlights and to find out who was crowned the Next Great Baker!

Next Great Baker on TLC fans were treated to the season two finale tonight in a special 90 minute episode, but who took home the prize of $100k, a spread in Brides magazine, and a job at Carlo’s bakery alongside Buddy Valastro? Well, the episode kicked off in typical Buddy style, with a baker’s challenge. This week, it was all about eggs when Buddy asked the final three to crack as many eggs as possible in a short time. Marissa, Nadine, and Ryan scrambled to get their eggs cracked, but it was Marissa who ended up winning the challenge, while Nadine placed second. Ryan was not off to a good start against the girls – could he come back?

For winning the baker’s challenge, Marissa was given an advantage for the next challenge: she would get to choose her teammates from some of Buddy’s relatives and workers. After choosing their teams (although Ryan’s were chosen by default), the teams were headed into the next challenge: making cookies, cakes, pies and pastries that would be sold at Carlo’s. The winner of the challenge would be determined by sales, and after this challenge, one of the three finalists would be automatically eliminated, while the other two would move on to the final round.

Marissa was feeling a bit ambitious and decided to make sure she not only made enough, but that she made extra. Ryan, on the other hand was struggling with the team members he was given. Ryan seemed to butt heads with cousin Anthony, who claimed that Ryan’s recipes were just not working. Ryan thought that cousin Anthony was just missing steps in his recipes when multiple recipes did not come out as planned. Things were even more disastrous for Ryan when he was accused of stealing Danny’s chocolate chip cookie dough from Nadine’s team, so he had to, once again start over. Marissa and Nadine were knocking the desserts out while Ryan struggled, but would they be able to sell enough?

When it was time to head over to Carlo’s on Next Great Baker, a line of customers waited outside for the finalists. Instead of purchasing the baked good, the customers would be using tickets, and the person with the least amount of tickets would be heading to the box truck. Ryan was the first baker to sell out, but despite his high hopes, he was actually heading home since he had made the least amount of treats, and therefore he sold the least amount – around 800 or so. The girls wiped the floor with him, selling closer the 1500 range, and there was only a 39 ticket difference between them, but Nadine won the challenge.

For their final challenge, and to earn the title of Next Great Baker, Buddy informed the girls that they would be creating a 4 foot tall cake that told him their idea of the American dream. Both gals would also get the help of Buddy’s staff, and they needed it because at 2 am, they were both exhausted, but knew they had to push on to win. Nadine did a tiered cake, that was supposed to look like clouds, showing different areas of her life that got her to where she is today. Marissa had a similar idea for her cake, but it was much more colorful and was more of a road themed journey.

Both ladies did incredible jobs, and they both knew that they would be happy with the outcome either way, since they were such good friends. Both Nadine and Marissa had topped their cake with a scene of their own self winning Next Great Baker. While Buddy and the judges liked both cakes, and some pros and cons for both, there could only be one winner. Finally, Buddy announced that the season two winner of Next Great Baker was Marissa Lopez!

What did you think of the finale? Did Marissa deserve to win? Comment and share your thoughts with us below!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and “like” us on Facebook! For other great Reality TV news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot.

Photos courtesy of TLC

Topics: Next Great Baker, TLC Reality TV Shows |

26 Responses to “Next Great Baker Recap: The Season Two Winner Is….”

1. Shayln Says:
    January 30th, 2012 at 9:32 pm

who were the judges on this episode?

2. Penny Brannon Says:
    January 30th, 2012 at 9:37 pm

I am SO thrilled Marissa won this contest. She worked really hard and has some fantastic ideas. She’s actually bakery trained. I like her style. Congrats Marissa!

3. terry Says:
    January 30th, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I’m not too happy with this pick. First thing she gets too upset. She does not have people skills. She is a whiner. She cannot handle pressure. I really feel she was not the right person for the job.

4. Claud Says:
    January 31st, 2012 at 1:54 am

I don’t think Marissa deserves to win, something is wrong with her, she seems to be the kind of person who rejoices from other people’s failures… I don’t like her…bad attitude!!!

5. K Says:
    January 31st, 2012 at 4:42 am

Nadine deserved to win. Not Marissa. She had WAY to much of an additude with her language.

6. Frank Iannaggi Says:
    January 31st, 2012 at 5:12 am

Buddy I love you and your family but after being in the business for 34 years I think you picked the wrong person. Selfish, bitchy , and not as talented as some of the others. Sorry for Nadine. I believed she won.

7. Ellis Says:
    January 31st, 2012 at 5:34 am

I dont think she deserved it. Nadine I feel was the better baker.

8. don Says:
    January 31st, 2012 at 6:58 am

Nadine should’ve won!

9. Dave Says:
    January 31st, 2012 at 7:06 am

Nadine should have won. She sold the most and beat Marissa head to head. The cakes weren’t enough to separate them. They both weren’t very good.

I knew Buddy wanted Marissa to win. You could just tell. She is a spunky thing and it will be interesting to see how she fits in with the crew at Carolos.

10. Janice Says:
    January 31st, 2012 at 10:21 am

I think Nadine did a better job. It seemed to me that Marissa always needed someone’s help and opinions throughout the competition.

11. Monique Says:
    January 31st, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Nadine deserved to win waaaaay more than Marissa. The only reason Buddy picked her was because her cake was about NJ. Buddy missed out on a great opportunity to work with a wonderful baker, but once again was biased. Way to go, “Cake Boss”.

12. Izzy Says:
    January 31st, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I hated Marissa she didn’t even deserve it. Nadine was ten times better throughout the whole entire competition. ugh, I’m sooo dissappointed. grrr.

13. Holly Says:
    January 31st, 2012 at 2:05 pm

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

14. Teagan Says:
    January 31st, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I am so glad she won. Thats who I wanted tow in.
    YYYYYEEEEEAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

15. Catie Says:
    January 31st, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Nadine should’ve won. I hated marissa and Nadine was my favorite all along

16. Jan Says:
    January 31st, 2012 at 9:39 pm

No! Nadine should have won! She was the best throughout the whole competition. I can’t believe Buddy would pick suck a mean, rude, selfish, and foul mouthed person! Very disappointed. Nadine has the better skills, is a team player, and can be a good leader. NOT MARISSA! She can’t get along with anyone. “Cake Boss” you made a HUGE MISTAKE!!!

17. Connie Says:
    February 1st, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Ryan should have one. Marissa was a whiner and very arrogant. She could not work with anyone.Big Mistake, have fun Buddy working with someone that is so selfish and rude.

18. Farrah Says:
    February 2nd, 2012 at 10:30 am

What a bunch of bologna!!! Buddy totally played favorites. Nadine won so many more challenges throughout the show. I hope the whole bakery sees what a b-word Marissa is and can’t stand her within a week! I know I can’t!

19. Chris Says:
    February 3rd, 2012 at 8:05 am

Pretty disappointed with the choice. I do have to wonder if this was a NJ thing. No other reason I can think of to pick Marissa. Her attitude was awful most weeks, and clearly Nadine was a much better baker. Can’t believe Nadine didn’t win. Very strange choice to me.

20. Gracie Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 10:44 pm

I am so freakin’ disappointed that Marissa won. Nadine has been my favorite all along since the very beginning and she doesn’t win. It seems like in all of these kind of shows (like American Idol) your favorite person always gets in second. I think Marissa is really good, but she is a total jerk. Nadine was a better baker than her and cake maker. ughhh. What is wrong with you Buddy?!

21. Stacey Says:
    February 7th, 2012 at 5:40 am

I really like Mello. I quit watching after he was let go. But I definitely did NOT like Marissa. I think Nadine defintely should have won. She was a much better baker and her attitude was much better!!!

22. Kennalynne Says:
    February 8th, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Nadine all the way!

23. Tricia Says:
    February 12th, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Nadine should have won, without a doubt. Marissa has a crappy attitude. I think Buddy made the wrong choice, but he will see in due time.Marissa lucked into a few challenges, but all will prevail that she really has no talent, or skills and Buddy will regret his choice. Team Nadine!!!!!!

24. Teresa Says:
    October 18th, 2013 at 2:36 am

I was honestly disappointed that he picked Marissa. She didn’t keep her cool in group challenges, she was very controlling, and always depended on others to help her “ideas.” Nadine or Ryan should have won instead. It was favoritism and if that was the case, he shouldn’t have had the competition.

25. rose williams Says:
    December 10th, 2013 at 7:01 pm

I was extremely disappointed that Marissa won the next great baker season two. I was also upset to see problems that were caused by other people and see other people get sent home for them. Megan told both Marissa and Nadine the guitar was two heavy, but she got sent home. I do like Nadine, however. It was like season one when Joe got sent home, but no one ever gave him a chance to do anything at all the second time he came back. Every time I saw Marissa on the show she was rude, she talked badly about others 95% of the time, and she did not work on a team well..one of her cakes she didn’t even have a clue what to do on it and spent hours just trying to figure it out. She is rude and self centered and I am extremely disappointed in the decisions that have been made on this show both in season 1 and season 2. Nadine should have won the competition hands down, and Marissa should have been sent packing to work on her attitude problem.

26. Angela Keyes Says:
    February 5th, 2014 at 1:03 am

I was disgusted by the oh so obvious reason that Marrisa was chosen on the basis that she is a “Jersey Girl”.Compared with a shining star like Nadine,Marrisa looks like a nominally talented,stress case with zero likability and a rotten,entitled attitude!Not only this,after years of watching Cake Boss and seeing their shenanigans,I KNOW that Buddy sent Anthony in to submarine Ryan’s chances by messing up his recipes.Buddy is so arrogant and smug that he is getting unbearable to stand.Your a baker Buddy,NOT a rock star,lol!Totally rigged and disappointing show.Nadine was actually spared,she’s too good to be another peon for Buddy the Great!

Comments