Steven Tyler Defends His Performance Of The National Anthem

February 04, 2012 06:43 AM by Megan Thompson

Steven Tyler belted out his version of The National Anthem at the AFC National Football Game several weeks ago. After his performance The American Idol judge was slammed with negative comments about his singing. Keep reading to find out what Steven Tyler had to say about his rendition of the National Anthem.

After Steven Tyler’s performance many people mocked the judge on Fox‘s hit show, American Idol, and even questioned his singing talent. Yahoo! even said, “He most definitely would not have made it to the next round on the show and I am sure Jennifer Lopez and Randy Jackson would have had some interesting words to say had he been singing in front of them.”

But in true rock and roll style, Steven Tyler cooly explains, “that he meant to do that.” Of course he did, he is Steven Tyler! Steven went onto say, “I don’t know. As I said before, I put emphasis on, In the land of the free and I went up. Oddly enough I hit the note so I don’t know what they are talking about. I emphasized “free” which was for freedom.  It was well thought out prior to. I wasn’t messing with American tradition.”

What did you think of Steven Tyler’s performance? Let us know if you think Steve Tyler really planned out his version of The National Anthem, leave us a comment below!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and “like” us on Facebook! For other great American Idol news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: American Idol.

Photo credit: Fox

Topics: American Idol, FOX Reality TV Shows |

172 Responses to “Steven Tyler Defends His Performance Of The National Anthem”

1. personcuisine Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 6:57 am

“S.Ty” sang the national anthem will emotion and did a great job. He sounded just like he always does and hit every note, on key. Some folks may not like his voice, but he sang his heart out & it brought tears to my eyes. just sayin’

2. Cheryl Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 6:57 am

He doesn’t have to defend himself. He did great. The hired Steven Tyler to sing. He sounded like Steven Tyler. What do people expect, for him to sound like Barry Manilow?

3. yvonne robertson Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 7:10 am

The National Anthem was sang in Steven Tyler style, he rocked it… sang it awesome, and respectful!!! You who are judging it to be “bad” and an embarassment need to get over yourselfs… or better yet, go sing it in front of millions of people, and be judged yourself!!! Love me some ST!!!

4. MARKUS D Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 7:14 am

He has got to be kidding but not changing my impresion which is “worst national anthem of all time sung in public” He should not be allowed to judge on Idol with a voice that bad,
    PS what a BS excuse from him!

5. mike Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 7:15 am

He rocked it, you want Steve Tyler. you got/get it. period.

6. Chelsea Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 7:20 am

Steven’s National Anthem was perfect! Anyone who knows anything about his style understands this. As for JLo and Randy or Simon promoting such a performance to the next round, Steven is far too old to be a contestant on AI. However, had the show been around in the ’60s, I have no doubt Steven would have won the contest for his year. He is one of the greatest rock ‘n roll voices of all time.

7. MC III Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 7:24 am

Steven is a rocker and sang it rocker style any other style would not be Steven.

8. Audrey Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 7:27 am

Mr. Tyler should never sing without his band covering up his truly awful singing voice.

9. joanna Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 7:29 am

GIVE IT A BREAK GUYS, HE SANG THE SONG IN S TYLER FASHION, WHAT ELSE WOULD YOU EXPECT? CERTAINLY BETTER THAN “MOST” ENTERTAINERS TO SING THAT SONG. IT’S NOT ANY EASY SONG ; AND PER USUAL HE DID NOT DISAPPOINT.

10. Lori Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 7:30 am

Steven Tyler’s rendition of the national anthem was absolutely HORRIBLE! Weather he meant to do that or not.

11. Paula Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 7:34 am

Steven: Give me a break, we’re talking about Steven Tyler here, no it wasn’t the best but god he can sing. And anyone that questions that needs a hearing aid. The guy is rock royalty. He can sing it any way he wants. period. at least he knew all the words, unlike others that have sung it. Rock on Steven, I’m a fan and always will be. Loosen up America, don’t get your tightie whiteies in a bunch over this…

12. Metal Mark Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 7:37 am

I think that his version was the best version in Rock n’ Roll history! All the negative comments are from people who don’t like that genre of music. Back in the day, Rock n’ Roll used to bring people together. But in today’s world, now that music has split into several different popular genres, you are only hearing from those that oppose that type of music. Today, music is breaking people apart.

13. Crista Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 7:54 am

I liked his version. He is a rock singer so what did they expect ? The same old traditional gets boring after a while. Way for Steven to spice it up!

14. Michelle Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 7:54 am

You hired Steven Tyler, you got Steven Tyler!! He got all the words right and sounded like what I thought he would – Steven Tyler! What he did was fine.

15. Bri Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 7:54 am

Oh, stop it. He may not be my favorite singer, but at least he hit the notes and he DOES appreciate the freedom we enjoy or he wouldn’t have done it. You should hear him sing “Smile” with Chris Botti, the great trumpet player. Wonderful!!

16. Laura Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 7:57 am

Steven Tyler performance was great. He got all the words right and sang with pride. He is a rockstar and that’s what a rockstar sounds like. All the negative comments are from people who dislike rock music and probably hate the fact that he knew all the lyrics so they had nothing else to complain about.

17. Kelly Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 8:13 am

Well, his voice is not made for singing the National Anthem, but it fit the rock-n-roll style of Aerosmith. Just because a person has a great voice for a certain type of music does not mean they are fit to sing everything!

18. barb Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 8:19 am

Of course he did. He is after all a super rock icon. He sang it just as I expected he would, with the voice that has made him who he is! Loved by many.

19. Ashlee Selph Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 8:25 am

Steven tyler makes the amercian idol show . By being a judge…. He’s rock in roll all the way….. He always does a great job.

20. Kenneth Giadrosich Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 8:27 am

It was painful listening to Tyler. As a Child of the 60′s I’ll take Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., Jihnny Mathis, Andy Williams, Perry Como, The Duprees, The Righteous Bros., John Denver, The Happenings, etc.

21. ed moree Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 8:30 am

I think Steve Tyler did a fine job singing. What did people expect him to sound like. He didnt disrespect the United States at all. Thanks Steve!!!!

22. lori Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 8:32 am

whether he did it on purpose or not, which I think he did, who cares? He’s Steven Fricken Tyler!

23. Robert Walters Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 8:35 am

I would like to say that I do not care for Steven Tyler. But I do think he did an alright job of singing to the best of his ability. There have been a lot worse renditions, by my feelings as someone who has went to war for this country. You do not mess with this song ever in any way at all. IT HURTS.

24. Bri Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 8:35 am

Oh, stop it. He may not be my favorite singer, but he hit every note and definitely believes in keeping freedom alive or he wouldn’t have done it. You should hear him sing “Smile” with Chris Botti, the great trumpet player. Wonderful!!

25. Lori Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 8:36 am

Whether he did it on purpose or not, which I think he did… Who cares….He’s Steven Fricken Tyler!!

26. jayne h Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 8:47 am

I thought my steven tyler was wonderful. He can sing anything and sound great. People just don’t understand great talent when they hear it. Keep singing ., Maybe they should watch his new video Feels so good. What a great man

27. Teddy Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 8:52 am

I saw it on TV and I had no problem with it. Rolling Stone named Tyler “One of the 100 Greatest singers of all time.” I just so happen to agree with them. He is a great singer, he can hit those high notes that no one else can. He is a a true talent. I see no problem with his rendition of the national anthem.

28. ted doran Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 8:52 am

I saw nothing wrong with the way he sang the national anthem. at least he didn’t grab his crotch and spit on the ground afterwards.

29. razzberry beret Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 8:53 am

..HE SANG IT “PERFECTLY” a la Steven Tyler….some people just look for something to gripe about…u rock Mr. Tyler…:)

30. lyncathy Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 8:54 am

steve was asked to sing if that the way he feels he is honoring our country . he did a great job. it is you who is wrong

31. Karen Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 8:55 am

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Steven Tyler but his performance this time was not so great needless to say.You are not going to Hollywood on this performance Steven. I know you love America but be the bigger person and admit you did suck this time.

32. Jackie C Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 8:56 am

I wholeheartedly stand by Steven Tyler. He did a great job with the anthem, true Steven Tyler style!

33. chad Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 9:02 am

i thought tyler’s rendition was awesome. he was the hometown boy in foxboro (aerosmith originated in boston) and he excited the crowd which willed the patriots to a win and a super bowl berth.

34. Southern Babe from Louisiana Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 9:02 am

EVERYONE NEEDS TO UNDERSTAND….THIS IS STEVEN TYLERS’ STYLE!!!! He is an awesome performer who has been around forever & people should RESPECT HIM!! If you don’t like the way he sings…don’t listen! THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH A SINGER ADDING HIS OWN STYLE & FLARE WHEN PERFORMING! We love you Steven!!! :)

35. D. Bergman Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 9:03 am

They hired Steven Tyler and that is who they got. He did great!

36. Cari Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 9:04 am

From the 1st time I saw the performance, my view has been unchanged! It Looked and sounded like Steven Tyler to me. That is his signature style; what made him famous. What do people expect!

37. Karen Mills Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 9:08 am

I saw nothing wrong with the National Anthem. It’s you idiots out there that have to slam Steven because you probably have something against him. You should be so lucky to have his voice and his courage. So just keep your comments to yourself. He was out there trying and he did a damn good job.

38. Ronda Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 9:12 am

The National Anthem is an musical icon that has always been up for artistic interpretation. It’s an expression of an event that has becme a symbol of so many freedoms including our right to sing it, say it, and be motivated by its message. Steven Tyler is an artist who exercised his right to express its message through his art. Congratulation Steven. I admire your courage and respect your performance.

39. runswithponies Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 9:20 am

Steven’s performance was true to his style. It appeared to be a very heartfelt rendition of the National Anthem. It was an awesome performance!

40. Melanie Williamson Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 9:23 am

To me, it sounded exactly the way it should have sounded with Steven Tyler singing it…what did they expect, it’s Steven Tyler…with Aerosmith…they knew what he sounded like and asked him anyway…should have known what they would get. It’s like they said with Ricky Gervais and the Golden Globes..they knew who they asked to host when they did it…shouldn’t have been surprised. I think it sounded great and he did an awesome job. Great job Steven.

41. Shawn Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 9:23 am

I thought it was great. It WAS Steven Tyler singing in true form, what did they want? He is a rock artist!

42. Betty Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 9:24 am

I think Steven Tyler did a great job, he is Steven Tyler, a rocker, what did everyone expect? He didn’t get where he is by f—ing up, unless it was intentional.

Rock on,

Betty Bennett from Calfornia.

43. Terry Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 9:26 am

Well, I thought it was great just like Steven Tyler

44. Rick Penny Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 9:27 am

i think it was Great , he did it just as he did for the world serious , and for those that didn’t like it , they are just jealous they can’t hit that note , Rock On Steven .

45. sadsack Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 9:27 am

I think Steven Tyler and Rossane Bar should team up, after all NO BODY (thank god) can sing the National Anthem like they do.

46. Jean Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 9:40 am

Steven did a good job, and I wish more performers would sing it better. Leave Steven alone. Do you think you could do better?

47. Brenda Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 9:45 am

Hello! It’s Stephen Tyler. That’s the way he sings. Though I’m not a big fan, I did like his rendition.

48. Linda Schrader Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 9:49 am

Whoever hired Steven should have known what they would get—–THAT’S STEVEN’S WAY OF SINGING !!!!!

49. Tom Schemenauer Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 9:51 am

If they didn’t want Steven Tyler to sing the national anthem then why did they ask him? Did they expect him to sound like John Denver or something…come on….Steven is a classic. I grew up with him in the same generation. He is an american music icon :)

50. Rod Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 9:51 am

Steven Tyler is awesome.He could sing better than most people with a muffle on.Besides,who does the writer think she is?she needs to find real stories to write about for sure.

51. R. Ward Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 10:01 am

This has got to be one of the worst versions of our National Anthem to date. In addition this Tyler Guy has got to be one ugly dude.

52. janice colby Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 10:03 am

I think he was amazing he got all the words right and in right order and he sang it like Steven Tyler does.shouldn’t we have expected that.You rock Steven…

53. Larry Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 10:04 am

Being a Marine I am deeply rooted in this country. I have listened to the video of Steven’s anthem and have to say that it was Steven. I liked it! He has never been known to have a great voice, but his voice grabs you none the less.

I’d book Steven again.

54. Edwin Ramirez Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 10:06 am

steaven tyler cant sing for shit he didnt mess up because he wanted to he just cant sing if he was singing on idol he wouldnt make it pass the second round.

55. Jim Colyer Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 10:12 am

This guy is obnoxious.

56. johnsnare Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 10:13 am

He cannot be serious. His voice sounded like a drunk after a night out. Let us be honest here. Tyler does not have a singing voice. He is a screamer, not a singer. How this man can judge others is beyond belief. How about a judge with true singing credentials,?

57. Edwin Ramirez Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 10:13 am

steaven tyler cant sing for shit. he didnt mess up because he wanted to he just cant sing if he was on idol he wouldnt get pass the second round.

58. mary kohns Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 10:17 am

I totally disagree with the negative comments re Steven Tyler. He has been rocking & rolling for years. This is the voice he has left. I have a musical background and was happy to see he kept the meter, remembered the words, did no over-arcing or adding of notes that had nothing to do with the melody. His rendition of the melody was right on; He actually hit the high notes (which many singing the Anthem are unable to do. His vocalization of “…land of the free..” did nothing to detract from the overall singing of the Anthem. I was very proud, as an American, of his singing of our National anthem on this occasion.

59. Diane Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 10:22 am

Very heartfelt. I loved it.

60. Traci Ford Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 10:22 am

Steve Tyler is a ROCK singer. If people wanted a more classical singer, they should have hired one. As a rock singer, Steve, well, rocks.

I for one was happy to hear a rock-stylized version of the National Anthem.

Critics should get a grip.

61. Sherri Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 10:23 am

I don’t understand why this article states that he was ‘slammed with negative comments.’ Everything I read, 95% of posts from the public (which in the end, is what matters) backed up his performance 100%. Yes, there were negative comments, but they were few & far between.

62. Cheryl Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 10:30 am

Steven Tyler performed the National Anthem the way it was meant to be performed; from the heart and with great feeling. I loved it and cannot understand why he was berated over it. He was GREAT!

63. Barbara Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 10:33 am

I thought Steven sang from the heart for our country!! I think he did a great job.

64. tina Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 10:35 am

I liked Stephen’s rendition of the National Anthem. He is a ROCK STAR,

65. Tina Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 10:37 am

I liked Stephen’s rendition of the National Anthem. He is a ROCK STAR, and that is what he sang it as.
    He didn’t forget the lyric’s-like some others. He didn’t try to go where he wouldn’t be able to reach the notes. Ii was good.

66. Courtney Simon Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 10:39 am

Steven Tyler sang the ‘National Anthem’ like Steven Tyler. What did anyone expect? If they wanted to hear Michael Buble’ sing they were watching the wrong channel. Knowing Steven Tyler’s style I just knew that he would end the song that way. It was classic Steven Tyler. He apparently does not follow the crowd and never did. In addition, he remembered the words!

67. lisa green Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 10:41 am

I think he did the song just fine compared to others that have sang it. He sounded just like his self it could have been worse he could have forgot some words or something but he did just fine. Really get over it now there are other things in the world to worry about you can’t change what he did it is over and done with move on.

68. Robin Quinn Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 10:42 am

Steven’s performance was exactly what the people who asked him to do it should have expected. He’s Steven Tyler – NOT Josh Groban. I personally loved what he did. The National Anthem is an impossible song to sing, and it’s boring. He jazzed it up nicely.

69. Yolin Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 10:43 am

Steven Tyler sang the National Anthem just as any Aerosmith fan would expect him to. What did everyone expect?!! He was GREAT!!!

70. DE Nelson Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 10:46 am

After hearing Steven sing I immediately said out loud that was the best rendition I have ever heard because he hit all the NOTES! This song has the worse melody and wording. I mean it is about one super power battling another super power over a country that was not either of theirs to claim. Steven sang it beautifully and looked great too.

71. Michelle Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 11:01 am

Anyone who has been listening to Steven Tyler over the years knows his style. He sang the National Anthem perfectly.

72. Kathy Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 11:04 am

I don’t like Steven Tyler’s looks or his singing. But people have to know that that is his style. If they didn’t want him to scream, they shouldn’t have invited him to sing. That is his style. Rose Ann sang in her style. Nobody liked it but what else did they expect? That was her style.

73. Jo Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 11:05 am

I’ve heard many, many worse renditions of the national anthem. At least he knew the tune and seemed to know the words – I think he missed only twice and minor misses at that in the words.

For those who think a 50+ guy can sing the same as he sang when he was 20+ … think again. Actually, I liked him a lot better now than I did back when.

74. Patti Phillips Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 11:06 am

I thought it was a great rendition from his heart and my 84 year old conservative patriotic life member of the American Legion father thought he did a nice job-Believe me that is as good as a grammy

75. Rhonda Mccartney Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 11:09 am

I thought Mr. Tyler was the best so far at singing our National Anthem. I think he putting his own little spin on it..or planned it out that way.. If you have ever heard him sing before… that was all Steve Tyler …Rocker.. I have listened to it (Anthem) several times ..and I heard nothing wrong .. he sang his heart out..snaps all around

76. larry mason Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 11:16 am

Steven is good for Idle but the National Anthem is not a song that needs a rendition it is a serious song. Just belt it out the way everyone else should don’t add your personality we don’t need it.

77. Diane Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 11:18 am

I’m no spring chicken (81), but I loved Steve Tyler’s rendition of the National Anthem, because that’s his style. He certainly meant no disrespect and he sang it with meaning! Plus. he’s no phoney like so many celebrities are.

78. kristi Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 11:22 am

I think he did a great job! He’s not a country singer for pete’s sake. It’s rock and Roll. Leave him alone.

79. Stacy Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 11:23 am

Loved it! Come on people it is Steven Tyler. He was his authentic self and I loved it.

80. NancyLombardo Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 11:27 am

He rocked it! Any nay-sayers out there should just STFU!!!! Especially Kathy lee Gifford! Hate her, and she’s just jealous that she wasnt asked to sing it…. you go Steven!! Love you!!!!!!!

81. susan eddleman Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 11:35 am

He was great! Steven Tyler did it the way he meant to do it, in Steven Tylers true style.

82. Jan McDonald Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 11:36 am

I think Stephen sang the song in his genre, and

83. Linda Hill Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 11:36 am

Steven Tyler is rock-roll. This has been his
    style of singing since he started. Stupid people should keep to them selves.

84. Jan McDonald Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 11:38 am

I think Steven sang the National Anthem
    the way he wanted to, and I personally
    liked it.

85. sharon Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 11:39 am

In my opinion, Steven Tyler sang the National Anthem perfectly. He can’t change his voice for one song. I enjouyed every second of it. Bravo!

86. Sybille Nova Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 11:54 am

I think, he did a great job….not too much unlike what Jimi Hendrix did once upon a time…i am more concerned about his teeth implants..implants are dangerous..he needs to see a holistic dentist and have them removed and find another way…..they also put controlchips into bodies of high profile target people…watch out for that, Steven!

87. Linda Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I enjoyed Steven Tyler’s rendition of the Star Spangled Banner. The crowd reacted to it in a positive way and it was done in true Tyler fashion. If the sponsors wanted Barbara Streisand they probably should have gotten her instead of “The Demon of Screamin”. Rock on Steven Tyler and I’ll rock with you!

88. Margaret Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I thought he did a good job with the National Anthem. He sang it in the style that made him what he is today. Get off his back people!!!

89. Columbo Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 12:46 pm

If it looks like a duck,walks like a duck,quacks like a duck and sings like a duck and tries to sing the National Anthem he probably will suck and if he had been on American Idol he would not have been going to hollywood!

90. Charmain Gorman Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 12:48 pm

It is my feeling that Steven Tyler rocked the National Anthem. He was true to himself and to his fans, the only other thing would have been to add a screaming guitar!!! ROCK IT AMERICA!!!

91. Donna Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Hey, this is Steven Tyler, leave him alone.. He did great.

92. Katherine Phillips Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Steve Tyler is an excellent musician and performer! He is real!

93. TwoRodPete Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 1:14 pm

i liked it. i thought it was just fine. he had all the words correct. he has musicality. i am not an aerosmith fan … nor am i a fan of his. i’m just an old lady who is usually pretty picky. but his rendition was just fine … and probably in keeping with his style of music. what else would you expect?

94. Julie Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I LOVE Steven Tyler!!! If they didn’t want a rock star to sing it, they shouldn’t have asked him! He adds flavor to every song he sings. I believe him, and still LOVE him!

95. Georgia Haynes Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I think he did great, as always.

96. Jane Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I thought Steven Tyler did really well with the song. He is Steven Tyler, and he is going to sing it like Steven Tyler. He sure is not going to sound like Frank Sinatra. At least he remembered all of the words, unlike some of the other younger singers. I give him a lot of credit and admire him for being able to still sound so good at his age.

97. Jim Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I’m wondering if anyone mocking Steven Tyler’s performance has ever seen Steven sing at an Aerosmith concert? They have to be one of THE BEST live performances you’ll ever witness! If they had seen an Aerosmith concert they would have appreciated Tyler’s Anthem. I liked Steven’s rendition. Remember, if art were supposed to be generic we’d all be boring!

98. searcher Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 2:53 pm

They invited Steven Tyler; they got Steven Tyler. Steven Tyler does not sing opera, he is a rock singer. The Star Spngled Banner is not a rock song. He sang a capella (no backup). He sang it straight and respectful with what appeared to be pre-planned focus. He rocked out a bit on “free” as is his normal style. I would have been disappointed if he had not. They invited Steven Tyler; they got Steven Tyler. Why would you expect something different?

99. Kelly O'Rourke Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Loved it! They shouldn’t have hired a rocker if they wanted something mellow.

100. why Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 3:24 pm

nope, he didn’t plan it. he’s stupid and he knows it. just making excuses

101. Joyce Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 3:35 pm

That was typical Steven Tyler. What was messed up about it?

102. Brenda Lewis Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Really?? Steve Tyler, rock-n-roll, that’s what he is….I thought he was greaaaatttt…..

103. debbi d Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 3:42 pm

i thnk he was just being Steve…who did they expect to come and sing …it Kate Smith?…..Steven just being Steven ….they knew what they were get when asked him on ..the Boston Boy and the patriots didnt seem to mind one bit!!!

104. yo mom Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 3:44 pm

overexaggerated, he did fine

105. Kris Roberts Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I think he did it in his always awesome Steven Tyler fashion! He’s the Deamon of Screamin’!! What did they expect? A pussy Barry Manilow version?

106. Viki Bacon Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Steven Tyler is my favorite artist/singer/rock n roller/front man/etc. ever. I’ve been a fan since the mid 80s when Aerosmith had their resurgent & I discovered them watching MTV. I’ve seen a dozen plus concerts, met him, read his books, and LOVE HIM! I thought there were a few parts of the National Anthem he sang a little “rough” but overall think he did just fine and I do think he planned it out in advance! Give him a break….he’s almost 64 yrs old! Keep rockin’ Mr. Tyler….we love ya!

107. williwalt Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 4:29 pm

yes he hit the note. He sang it in rockstar fashion.
    Yelling like that is a very heavy metal thing to do.

108. rfcb Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 4:35 pm

of course he meant to sing that way. he’s not rosanne

109. Susan Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I loved it. It was Steven Tyler. I don’t understand all the negativity. He did a great job in his Steven Tyler voice !!

110. Roses Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I loved Steven Tyler’ version of our Natl’ anthemn
    whomever wrote this critique…has obviously never listened to Aerosmith!!!!

Loved it Steven!!!!

111. Renee Brady Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 5:26 pm

I enjoyed Steven Tylers singing the anthem. At least you could understand him, he sang every note, and put his signature vocal at the end. I would have rather heard him sing it than some of those before him that put so many ups and downs on one note that it loses the melody of the song.

112. LORRIE Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 5:31 pm

I don’t what has happened to people since back when things were a LOT less uptight than they are now–
    Steven is a sweet,easygoing person and he did a great job HIS WAY and if they didn’t want him to do it HIS WAY then WHY ask a rock star to sing in the first place ? Everyone who is complaining just remove that giant stick from your *** and go to do something positive for a change.

113. Laura Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Love Steven Tyler, and he doesn’t have to prove anything. He is rock legend. As for his singing the National Anthem, well, it looked pretty cold out there and he has had throat surgury in the past. Also, he certainly is not the only very talented singer who has flubbed this song! Cheers to Steven, a great American idol and a national treasure, forever.

114. myra kirby Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 6:41 pm

I think he did a good job!!!!This is the way he sings….you either like him or you don’t…

115. Patsy Burnett Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Yes i think he thought about how to do it and thought he did a wonderful job as Steven would have done always i loved it and yes if i could hit it that high i would have done it the same way because as far as Free goes we don’t have that anymore so my vote is YES he did great and is still and always will be the best entertainer ever,Get over it when you ask the rocker Steven Tyler to sing you get exactly what he brings too you,Way to go Steven and keep on keeping on and bringing us your awesomeness!!Your number one fan Patsy L. Burnett

116. susan kelly Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 7:15 pm

I have no idea what everyone is complaining about. Steven Tyler did a perfectly good job onthe national anthem. Then you want to critcize the talent of someone who has been singing and selling his music for 30+ years? Everyone wants to critcize and complain. You will never make some people happy. And with all the complaints recently about those you have sung the national anthem…..it has become a competition.

117. SANDRA DE Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I liked Steven’s performance.. I don’t understand why there was such a big deal made of the way he sang the song.

118. Whammybar Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 8:32 pm

He did a great job. Hey, they asked Steven Tyler to sing, they got what they asked for. I liked it. Good job dude!
    The critics are idiots. He did his thing and he did it perectly. Reefer Head Woman…….

119. Trad Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Steven Tyler did a great job. He put on a Rock slant. If you didn’t like it, then you didn’t get it. You keep on rock’in Steven! Screw the hater!

120. vince Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 9:17 pm

If Joe Perry was there Tyler would have knocked it out of the park.

121. Carole Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 9:31 pm

I thought Steve Tyler sounded great! I don’t know whats with the negative comments.

122. Suz K. Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I personally Loved it! Hey it was classic Steven Tyler! I think he planned it that way. I mean, come on, do you really think that he didn’t plan out what he was going to do beforehand? For those nay sayers out there. I would like to see them get up in front of thousands of people and sing the anthem if they think they can do better!! God Bless You Steven!!

123. Terry Hogan Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 11:34 pm

I thought he was awesome and he did it HIS way. After all, he IS Steven Tyler. He can still belt it out!! I’m a true fan!!

124. bridget seaman Says:
    February 4th, 2012 at 11:43 pm

I couldn’t believe the comments I heard & read. Who did they think they were getting, Pavarotti? I mean this is Steven Tyler. Aerosmith! Hello! Mr. Tyler, you were fine. I have heard far worse. Actually I was kind of disappointed that you didn;t give the full Aerosmith treatment to it. It worked for Hendrix. Keep on rockin’!

125. jon Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 1:49 am

tHE BEST EVER

126. Meanstreak Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 6:39 am

OMG!!! its Steven freakin Tyler! he 63 and still Rockin…well. He did a great job!
    Anyone remember Macie Gray?? Tyler Rocks!

127. Andrea Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 7:17 am

I can’t figure out why everyone is dissin’ Steven’s performance! He didn’t mangle it as we have all seen others do. He sang it true as Steven Tyler, period. If you want to hear it sweet and beautiful get the Whitney Houston version,geez guys, give it a rest! Steven Tyler did a fine job! You nasties probably don’t like Jimi Hendrix’s version either lol.

128. Linda Lee Coffman Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 7:36 am

I am a 72 year female who has never liked hard rock. I am a country/western lady. BUT ever since I seen Steven Tyler on American Idol I really like him and I like his music. He did a great job singing the American Anthem. I liked it so much. There is just something about this guy that is contagious for me. Keep it up Steven. And I watch American Idol faithfully because I enjoy him so much. They look to having so much fun. I really think he is delightful and honest…

129. Melanie Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 7:44 am

You invited Steven Tyler to sing and you got the song in true Steven Tyler form. That is his style, that is the way he has always sung and performed. I was glad to hear the words correctly sung, I am very proud of that. For the people who didn’t like it, well be more careful of who you select next time. If Steven Tyler is one thing, its that he is true to form and doesn’t try to be what he is not. Thanks Steven for emphasizing the true meaning and words of a great song.

130. Mark Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 8:41 am

He is full of himself or something. I’ve seen him live early in his career he didn’t sing well then but his band was good!

131. susan Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 9:01 am

Don’t know if it was planned out or not; but it was Steven Tyler! That is the man’s singing voice; if the people wanted a soft,sweet version of the anthem then they should have gotten someone else to sing it. I think he sounded just the way he should have and put his heart into the song. This was not an awful version as so many have suggested, the man is a rock singer, not a choir singer. Awful is not staying true to your genre or having someone not in the music industry screech out the song like R. O. Everyone has a right to their opinion and this is mine.

132. Anand Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 9:05 am

He has nothing left to prove people! Some of Rock’s most memorable songs have his timeless signature. So I guess the discussion ends there!

133. Linda Cook Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 9:06 am

I am about the same age as Steven Tyler and a grandma. I think Steven has brought so much to Idol (it needed something) I personally wait for him to talk. He is so full of life, rides a thin line between good boy and bad boy, but………..you also know he is a gentleman. If he and I were both “younger”, he would be everything I look for in a man. As far as the Anthem, I wondered if he would hit the word “free”, he did, it was totally his rendition. Loved it

134. R Barthel Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 9:06 am

I herd it and felt it was Steven Tyler with out any questions . I loved it ! You need to remember here is a rock legend that has been screaming out vocals for many yrs . Its amazing the type of his singing and past and amount of time doing so it sounded great ! They asked for Steven Tyler / Aerosmith to sing and if you herd the song you would of had no question of who it was singing !!

135. gina Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 9:17 am

I loved it! Classic Steven!

136. Kaptain Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 9:21 am

Its Ok , what do we expect from a man like Steven Tyler? what he sang was exactly what i was expecting thats his tone.What is important is that he got all the words correct.

137. steve Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 9:27 am

steven tyler’s performance was perfect! he needs to proove nothing. when singing our national anthem, as long as it comes from the heart you’ve done our country justice. i am a veteran and proud to be an american! we need more people like steven, i’m proud to be a fan of his

138. Lady Goo Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 9:30 am

I think Steven Tyler ROCKS! He’s older, but can still sing and hit the notes! No on complained when Marvin Gaye totally changed the style of the National Anthem into a soulful, quarter beat, slow tempo style… God bless Steven for expressing his individuality. The emphasis on the word “free” was dynamic!

139. Art Tinsley Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 9:33 am

Mr. Tyler is “BS.” His performance was terrible!

140. P. Hatfield Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 9:48 am

Steve Tyler is a 60 something rocker who is still going strong and I think he nailed it.
    He isn’t Josh Groban, whom is awesome in his own shoes, he’s Tyler. He’s unpretentious, utterly charming, true to himself, and I love all that about him.
    He sounded great and I wish I had half his energy!

141. Laura Redman Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 9:49 am

I love Steven Tyler and have been a huge fan of Aerosmith since I first heard their songs. I thought he did a great job singing the National Anthem at the AFC National Football Game. All of the people who have something negative say about his performance most likely would have found something wrong with anyone’s performance. I thought Steven Tyler did a fantastic job.

142. Alex L. Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 9:56 am

It wasn’t the high note that he really screwed up on. He sang the lyrics incorrectly. He looked unprepared.

143. Steve Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 9:57 am

I don’t know what everyone was expecting. Have you heard this guy sing? What you got is what you wanted and thats classic Tyler. I thought he did a great job and everybody needs to shut up.

144. Kathleen French Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 10:16 am

I think that just a Mr. Tyler said, I mean if they wanted an opera than they should have not gotten alead member of a rock n roll band. I mean it would make sense if it were a rapper or r&b type singer/performer, but it wasn’t it was Steven Tyler, a rock n roll singer. So if they were surprised that this is what they got, than it was someones poor planning. All things aside… I thought it ROCKED! Encore!

145. Sheila Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 10:30 am

Of course he did! Dude. Anyone who things they can do better can get up there and sing. Steven Tyler doesn’t need to be graded; he’s already passed the test and he and Aerosmith have made the grade with many of us over the years. Pull out the Get Your Wings and jam on!!!

146. mitchell Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 10:47 am

It sucked.

147. Don Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 10:48 am

I didn’t see a problem with Steven Tyler and the way he sung the National Anthem. He sang like the rock star he was born to be. Lets not make mockery of one of the worlds best and most respected rock singers of all time. So those of you who complained about it,shut it and go back to dreaming you could only be as good as Steven Tyler !!!

148. Brian Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 10:51 am

Rock on Steve! Don’t worry about what is said.

149. Serjaux Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 11:18 am

He’s Steven Tyler!!! Not some fake ‘put-on’ artist. His inner style is plain to all and the song was performed true to self, regardless of anyone else’s ‘opinion’. He IS an ‘American Idol’, and many people love him, just as he is.

150. Laura Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 11:21 am

Steven your great.Keep doing what you do.And tell the rest of those idoits to go away.You have style that kicks butt. Keep on Being you.Rock on.
    Laura from Florida

151. james Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 11:41 am

I thought Tyler sang the national anthem just fine, what impressed me was that everybody in the stadium sang along so enthusiastically. I thought it was moving.

152. FrankoB Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Steven Tyler can say what he wants. It was still a lousy job on our National Anthem. Bottom line!

153. jim dearth Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 1:09 pm

tyler is the man and he did the song right so piss off you idiots that put him down

154. Sherri Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Guess I’m a little confused because 95% of the posts that I read stated they felt Steven Tyler sang the anthem just fine…he sounded just like the rocker that he is,and he didn’t try to add over-the-top notes to his singing. I also thought that he did just fine. This is just sensationalist journalism to grab headlines for 5 minutes.

155. bill orth Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 2:09 pm

great, pure voice, right on!

156. bethy f Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I think rock legends are just that, and are not meant to sing the national anthem my gosh pick a beautiful singer to sing it next time no body will come plain ACDC would also be a bad choice I love them both both you know stick to what you do ….

157. Marley Stevens Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 2:58 pm

……I just hope……whoever is asked to sing OUR National Anthem at any sporting event:…(ATTENTION STEVEN TYLER)…. just save the vocal gymnastics and the physical gyrations for your concerts….Just sing this song the way you were taught to sing it in kindergarten — straight up, no styling….Sing it with the constant awareness that there are Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines watching you from bases and outposts all over the world. Don’t make them cringe with your self-centered ego gratification. Sing it as if you are standing before a row of 86-year-old WWII vets wearing their Purple Hearts, Silver Stars and flag pins on their cardigans as if you want them to be PROUD of you for honoring them and the country they love — not because you want them to think you are a superstar music artist….They can see that from the costumes, the makeup and the entourages….Sing “The Star Spangled Banner” with the courtesy and humility that tells the audience that it is about America , not just you.”
    …Those entertainers really, really need to get “the message”.
    — [ I sincerely believe, that I could have done much better than YOU, Mr. Tyler. You were shameful and would have been buzzed out if I had been the judge in your place. I am 81 and I could make your 'rendition' look and sound like you had never sung a note.]
    —Marley Stevens

158. CYNDIE GOODWI Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 3:17 pm

HE WAS ABSOFUKINGLUTELY FABULOUS

159. will jonas Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 4:08 pm

mom said rock and roll would ruin America, and you know what she was right.

160. Tracey Watson Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I love Steven Tyler-He is AMAZING. People can say whatever they want-I doubt if he cares. After all he has done and lived to tell tell the tale-I say GO STEVEN!

161. Deel Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 5:47 pm

As my Dad always told me about my grades, “You can always do better”. So I think this applies to the National Anthem which Steven Tyler did. If you are reading this, Steven, you probably do need to get your throat checked…those high notes are going to be your downfall in the future…if you would be an advocate for everyone who sings our National Anthem to sing it so we all can sing along, that would be great! The audience, no matter who they are, will need the singer to encourage all to sing along. I, personally, liked your rendition…

162. Frank Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 5:59 pm

He did not do any worse then that Rosana Barr did. She is the worse.

163. Popeye Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 6:18 pm

NO Steven is not the greatest singer in the world but He Is A True Showman.

He sang the song straight up not a bunch of additional warbling like most of them do.

It is The National Anthem and should not be personalized as many try to do.

He did a great job as far as I am concerned.
    He was Steven being Steven and showing respect to the anthem itself.

164. Natalie Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Steven Tyler sang like Steven Tyler! That’s how he sings.

165. Pam Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 8:41 pm

If Steven Tyler sang it it’s wonderful! we love you Stevie!

166. William Dealy Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I think that Yahoo should stick with what they know best, mail and not worry about the news; because evedently they do not even know whom they are speaking of. For one thing Steven Tyler was famous as a singer, long before he was a judge.Good God the man is gettin up there in his years, most of us will be lucky to be able to walk out there without crutches when we get to his age. The man has more talent in the tip of his tongue than any of Yahoo’s staff has in their whole body. And where was yahoo when the ACLU was taking the National Anthem out of the schools; now you want to stick up for it, way to go!

167. Jim Colyer Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 10:20 pm

This dude is creepy.

168. rose Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Yes, I think Steven Tyler thought out how he was going to “Sing” the American anthe. A few years I was at the Indianapolis 500 & he was the one to sing the anthem. At the end of the song instead of “home of the brave” he ended the song his own way…”home of the indianapolis 500″. I was not only saddened by his screaming the song but sickened by the insertion of his own lyrics. Something needs to be done about this. I am a very patriotic person, thats how i was raised. If a person is Honored to be asked to sing the National Anthem before an event …do it right & not the way you want to. This to me means you don’t care about it so why do it. Does anything remember Roseanne Barr? Let’s just go to a band playing the anthem & let the audience sing, PLEASE!

169. bob Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Steven Tyler sounded like Steven Tyler!!People that put him on there if they did not like his performance then what were they thinking he would sound like? I liked his performance!!!

170. eleena bishop Says:
    February 5th, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Seriously people it’s Steven Tyler were talking about and if you didnt like it or got offended when he sang the national anthem then you can go fuck yourself. Steven Tyler is a god.

171. Beth Says:
    February 6th, 2012 at 12:38 am

Oh my gosh, obviously the people who are upset have no idea of how Steven sings. He sang it the same way he sings he was not being disrespectful at all. I loved his version because he sounded just like he does on every Aerosmith song. Geez America!

172. RaChel Says:
    February 7th, 2012 at 7:00 am

He’s a rock singer come on it didnt sound that bad…Its not his style of singing but he manned up and sang it..It sound like him he a rock singer come on what u were thinking u get a sweet beautiful anthem yeah okay.its Steven freaken Tyler he’s not know for singing “pretty”

Comments