Ryan Seacrest Was Not In On Sacha Baron Cohen’s ‘Dictator’ Prank

February 27, 2012 10:23 AM by Lisa Princ

Ryan Seacrest, of FOX‘s American Idol, was the victim of a comical prank at last night’s Oscar Award show, courtesy of comedian and actor, Sacha Baron Cohen. But, the American Idol host revealed that, despite how well composed he looked at the time, he was not in on the prank! More after the jump…

In what was probably the most memorable moment of The Oscars last night, Sacha Baron Cohen showed up donning a costume in character for his role in the upcoming film, The Dictator, and dumped an “urn full of ashes” all over Ryan Seacrest. While Ryan Seacrest kept his composure, he did reveal afterward that he was not in on the prank, although he had a gut feeling something was about to happen.

Speaking on his morning radio show, Ryan Seacrest explained: “He arrived and I remember before the show, someone from a publicity office called and said, ‘Hey, would you guys be interested in the Dictator?’ We said sure, fine. When we said yes, in the back of my head, I said, this guy isn’t coming as the Dictator to not do something. To what extent, I don’t know. Whether it be a joke or something physical, I don’t know. I definitely did not know that he was going to do that.”

While he may have been surprised by the prank, one thing that Ryan Seacrest was not, was unprepared. According to Ryan, and luckily for him, he brought another jacket for the event, due to the advice of his loving mother. So, what exactly was it that was spilled on Ryan’s jacket? Ryan Seacrest believes it was nothing more than pancake mix.

Did you see the prank last night? Did you find it funny or rude? Comment below and share your thoughts with us! Then, be sure to tune in to American Idol on FOX on Tuesday for a brand new performance episode.

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and “like” us on Facebook! For other great American Idol news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: American Idol.

Photos courtesy: FOX

Topics: American Idol, FOX Reality TV Shows, Ryan Seacrest |

10 Responses to “Ryan Seacrest Was Not In On Sacha Baron Cohen’s ‘Dictator’ Prank”

1. stars Says:
    February 27th, 2012 at 12:34 pm

It was rude….soooo rude and stupid!

2. Rob Says:
    February 27th, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Funniest thing of the whole night! People just need to loosen up, stop being so politically correct about things.

3. Tyrone Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 7:29 am

Think it was uncalled for and if I was Ryan, I would have been pissed, glad he had another jacket, great Mom.

4. Tom Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 9:22 am

Very Rude, Really Stupid & Lame, Sacha Baron Cohen has never been funny to me, His pranks are so juvenile! He belongs the nickelodeon channel.
    And No I don’t need to lighten up, dumb is dumb and I get so tired of people who have no respect for people doing their job and think every thing is fair game.
    I watch the Oscar’s for the CLASS not the CRASS!

5. Fred Blitzfick Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 10:10 am

Why is there even such a thing as a “Ryan Seacrest”?

6. Kevin Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 10:42 am

Even though it was funny, I think the Academy should step in and restrict “prank” gimmicks the red carpet all together. These days and times, people have forgotten where to draw the line and soon enough, someone is going to retaliate.

7. Caitlin Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I thought it was stupid and rude. I just do not see what is so funny about spilling fake ashes on someone.

8. jennifer Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 5:20 pm

oh pls it was d funniest thing..being so uptight doesnt pay,it go to have fun.

9. Joan Bryan Says:
    February 28th, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Ryan,
    I admire Ryan for being a better man than Cohen to not make a scene in public. Sacha Baron Cohen most definitely should be barred from any future entertainment functions. What a corrupt mind to get attention.

10. eoin Says: