American Idol: James Durbin Bashes Colton Dixon

March 04, 2012 02:00 PM by Lisa Princ

Last week on FOX‘s American Idol, when we watched the top 13 guys take the stage, Colton Dixon tried to impress with a piano performance that ended with him on the piano, and left some fans with a feeling of deja vu. No one was more surprised than last season’s fourth place finalist, James Durbin, who immediately took to Twitter, to voice his thoughts and it did not end there. When questioned, James Durbin did not have nice comments for Colton or his performance. Read on for the scoop!

American Idol alum, James Durbin, was a bit shocked when he watched as Colton Dixon pulled off a performance similar to one that he did last season as Colton took to the top of a piano in an attempt to impress – maybe he saw how much fans loved Durbin last season? James Durbin was not impressed though as he tweeted after the performance: “Haven’t I seen a lot of that performance somewhere before? Looked kind of familiar.”

After the tweet, James Durbin was questioned by The Hollywood Reporter about his comment, and he explained: “I was definitely implying something. I mean, I’m not starting any fan war here, but I remember Colton from last season. He was in the top 40 and sang that same song in the sing-for-your-life round.” James Durbin was not impressed at all, as he added: “So he’s sitting down at the piano, and it’s kind of like, ‘Ok, this is not surprising.’ But then he jumped up on the piano. And as all my fans know and anyone who watched last season would know, I jumped up on a piano. I did the whole piano bit.”

James Durbin is reportedly disappointed in the lack of originality so far this season, and he continued to explain: “I just wanted Colton to stay true to who he is and he knows who he is, but that stage can change people. I’ve seen it happen. Like on the results night,  my family and I were watching and they pan over to him in a black v-neck, brown hair with a blonde streak in a faux hawk – that was my haircut, like, the entire season. And I’m not ragging on anyone, it’s just kind of funny. Originality is key especially on American Idol because they’ve seen it all before.”

Wow, that sure is some harsh critique from James Durbin. Do you feel that Colton Dixon lacks originality, and is nothing more than a James Durbin knock-off? Comment below and share your thoughts with us!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and “like” us on Facebook! For other great American Idol news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: American Idol.

Photos courtesy: FOX

Topics: American Idol, FOX Reality TV Shows |

33 Responses to “American Idol: James Durbin Bashes Colton Dixon”

1. barb Says:
    March 4th, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Hello! Like no one else ever jumped on a piano during a performance before Mr. James Durbin!!! Think his jealousy and asbergers is showing

2. jen Says:
    March 4th, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I’m a fan of James Durbin and I somewhat agree and disagree. Yes with that hairstyle and the jumping on the piano thing it did remind me of James. BUT, I wouldn’t go as far to say that Colton lacks originality. Colton’s my fav to win but maybe its because he does remind me of James. Colton seems a little more to himself, a writer with an indie rock voice. James is a wild range screamer with an intense tone made for alternative. To me I think its just the different taste in music.

3. Chris Says:
    March 4th, 2012 at 3:15 pm

LOL – wasn’t Durbin an Adam Lambert knock-off?

4. Big Mac Says:
    March 4th, 2012 at 7:00 pm

I am so disappointed in James Durbin. He was my fav throughout American Idol. One of the reasons he was my favorite was because he seemed like such a nice guy (as well as an awesome singer). Talk about people changing. I think Durbin obviously has and not in a good way. Not so nice any more. Quit hatin’ James.

5. JACK Says:
    March 4th, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Both should just go away…. Neither is even near Adam Lambert on talent.

6. Mary Says:
    March 4th, 2012 at 10:20 pm

I didn’t like Colton before and like him less now. To be honest, there isn’t anyone to root for this year. Not sure what happened but I’m going to stick with The Voice. They will be getting all my votes. Oh and James Durbin all the way baby!!!!

7. dopalicousangel Says:
    March 5th, 2012 at 12:09 am

Jealous…..stop hatin on other people success. Enjoy your moment and let others enjoy theirs.

8. cody Says:
    March 5th, 2012 at 1:46 am

ok for one thing i watched american Idol last year i loved james durbin i agree with “big mac” that being said as far as the hairdo..well colt had the faux last year too..so no copying there as far as the streak i saw other old videos of colt dixon on youtube prior and it seems he changes his hair up one video its completly bleached. so sorry to say i honestly dont think he was copying james durbin..If so then we could say james durbin was copying the lead singer of 30 secs to mars who constantly changes his hair styles as well. one of which WAS the faux look with the blonde at the front…NOW as far as the piano.You could say he copied just like dave cook the winner stratagized by studying “daughtry” admittingly.. to win american idol. Or i look at the other possiblity that whos to say colt didnt plan on doing the jumping of the piano if he had made to the top 24 lastyear. honestly everyone KNOWS he plays the piano lastyear that came out so we all would not have been surprised that he played it during the top 24 live show. I personally think he wouldve came to the same conclusion to interact as he did had it been lastyear. ALL he plays is the piano thats his biggest act that he could think of at the time to have the “wow” factor as far as getting down and dirty. whereas james ONLY came to that conclusion during elton week…I rest my case.

9. lee Says:
    March 5th, 2012 at 4:34 am

Chris , spot om man , you are sooo right .

10. LJV Says:
    March 5th, 2012 at 6:53 am

I believe someone is a bitter Betty! Guess some people just can’t fade away………….

11. mary jane belmonte Says:
    March 5th, 2012 at 10:52 am

It did remnd me of James as i loved him all season but everyone copies off of someone. there are some that remind you of another entertainner but that doesnt mean it was on perpose. I love philip this year and he reminds me of Dave matthews but thats cause thats his way of playing and i love him the best this year like last year i think Philip is very original and he puts his own style in each song. James were were my fav last kyear lets see if the public finally wants new music and not the same old shit.

12. Lindy Says:
    March 5th, 2012 at 10:59 am

You should check out Colton’s tweets:
    RT @DurbinRock: It’s funny when interviewers leave out information I’m actually a big fan of @CDixonAI11 & I’m rooting for him!

13. clare Says:
    March 5th, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Ha ha ha!!! James tweet just show how douche he is. After saying what he said about Colton, now he tweets that he is rooting for him. What a fool!

14. nick Says:
    March 5th, 2012 at 3:03 pm

He should have been mad at Eben, not Colton. Eben is the one who copied him- he sang off-pitch the entire song.

15. anne Says:
    March 5th, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Sorry! But I think this is a cheap shot @ James Durbin. And I am personally getting sick of this MuckRaker Revival of Journalism…..the Writer is clearly trying to start a Fan War this is just another form of Bullying……Everyone repeats songs on A.I over and over……but recreating a very unique staged event is wrong! That was musical staging plagirism! James even said in his immediately following tweet that he was a Fan of Coltons…..I will say that when a Person is copied it is the highest form of flattery…..Now if you Journalists don’t go back to Journalism 101 and refresh the vows of ethics you are suppose to follow you are going to lose thousands of your Readers…..and may jeopardize your future in the Field….

One more comment! Stick to reporting Good News in this world and we all will be the better for it ……Mentally,physically and spiritually…..John Q Public should demand it! Unfortunately most have been De-Sensitized from years of subjection that they do not know they are being Blindsided!
    thank you for allowing me to share my opinion……I did not mean to offend as much as to make a point….because many Journalists are Fueling Fan Wars and Defaming an Artists Character…that can be crippling and have ong term ripple effects…..everyone is so dang freely opinionated behind their computers with no responsibilty to their actions and it is down right wrong! Sorry! Just had to get that off my chest! Whew! I feel better now! Thanks!

16. Zen Says:
    March 5th, 2012 at 4:32 pm

You got it ALL backwards! Malicious conclusion, I’d add.
    JAMES DURBIN is not critisizing Colton, HE IS CRITISIZING AMERICAN IDOL for forcing Colton to give up who he is and make him impersonate James hairdo and performance.
    AS JAMES SAID HE KNOWS COLTON FROM LAST SEASON so he know the REAL COLTON ON STAGE. And that was NOT Colton.
    AMERICAN IDOL SHOULD encorage ORIGINALITY (that is the success of those 2 other shows) instead of strapping talents like Phillip, Colton and the other contestants.
    AI seems to suck out of the contestants EXACTLY what called their attention during the auditions.

17. Donna Richardson Says:
    March 5th, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Lindy , thank you for posting your comment..
    You should check out Colton’s tweets:
    This is another attempt to bash James .. I wish people with focus on all the truth not just what they can try stir up to make James look bad in the public eye.. James is a very humble , good hearted, talented person .. Adam’s fans jump on every chance they get to attack him.. This is yet just another .. James ignore the HATERS .. #GenerationDurbintion Loves you <3

18. Donna Richardson Says:
    March 5th, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Lindy Thank you for your post ..
    You should check out Colton’s tweets:

I am so tired of people always attacking James ,.. James is a humble , kind hearted , person but Haters jump at every chance they can to discredit him.. James just ignore ..your fans know the truth & we stand behind you all the way .. It would be nice for a change for the whole story to be printed so this kind of hatred would stop.. Rock ON James !!

19. Dawn Says:
    March 5th, 2012 at 4:48 pm

American Idol isn’t even worth watching anymore. They make sure that who they want to win always wins even if they have to switch the phone numbers.

20. Joanne .. Durb #1235 Says:
    March 5th, 2012 at 5:07 pm

“SHE*KNOWS” Seriously?? How can you even use the term “Bashes” or “Harsh” to describe James Durbin’s comments regarding Colton. Whether part of the performance was identical to a previous one of Daughtry’s, Lambert’s or who evers. A previous top 10 Idol contestant from any season should certainly be able to give their own critique! I don’t see any put downs or rude comments here in what James said. C’mon .. the Idol judges are way more critical of the contestants & the contestants need that if they’re going to develop and bring what it takes to be different, to show who they are, to get fans attention, to get fans votes and be a winner. Colton is a big guy .. he can handle it or at least he better if he is going to survive and move forward towards his own dream.

21. Lolita Says:
    March 6th, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Unfortunately, James Durbin will always be more known for his immaturity, rudeness and jealousy than his talent. He lashed out at Colton and then tried to backpeddle to say he was a fan? Does his think his fans are stupid? Looks like he’s the stupid douchebag, and an untalented one at that! Given the platform that Idol has provided, a smart person would use it to their advantage, not act like a horse’s ass to pontificate his worthless opinion! What a LOSER!

22. Luka Says:
    March 6th, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Who cares, Colton is way better and I’m totally voting for him. I hope he wins.

23. Nichole Says:
    March 6th, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Well… i honestly think they are both original in their own way… sure it seems that they are alike, and the Colton is copying James… but made it’s just a coincidence? They are two different people living two different lives…

24. Jacquie Says:
    March 7th, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Wow! I am really disappointed in James. I really liked him last season, but really? I Love Colton Dixon and I want him to win. I think is very original. His performance didn’t make me think or James AND Colton ALSO had that hair do last season. He hasn’t changed his hair since last season. I remember because I wanted Colton in the top last year. Colton, along with Phil, is one of he most original this season. GO COLTON!!

25. Hannah Says:
    March 14th, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Ok, wow seriously, I love James Durbin, but bashing on a kid who is 21 years old, lets get serious, no need to be rude James Durbin, but you were stealing Adam Lambert’s ideas, with the song Uprising by MUSE, so don’t be hatin ;). I love Colton Dixon, just voted for him like 15 times, haha xPP!!!! <3 <3 <3 <3

26. lah Says:
    March 16th, 2012 at 10:20 am

James Durbin didn’t do anything original on AI. Its all been done before. He needs to get off his ‘high horse’.

27. mac Says:
    March 16th, 2012 at 10:24 am

James fans keep saying that we should quit bashing him, however, he is the one that starts things in motion with his negative comments. As for giving him credit for stating he is a fan of Colton’s after the fact – thats just James Durbin trying to clean up after himself. Also, why would anyone want to copy James Durbin, he not exactly burning up the charts and selling a lot of downloads/records as of yet.

28. Nadeane Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 7:01 am

Actually before even looking this up when I saw colton perform, I was just like wow He sucks and seems like a lame copy of James. No way could colton hit the notes or keep the power in his voice that james does. Period. And he is boring. The only reason he will stay in this competition is cause he has a pretty face.

29. Sally Says:
    March 24th, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I enjoyed James last year and I very much enjoy Colton this year. His rendition of “Piano Man” was as moving a performance as many of the top ones in Idol past. To say the only reason Colton is a top contender is his “pretty face” is totally ludicrous.

30. COLTON DIXON #1 FAN Says:
    April 11th, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I think James is just FUCKING jealous of Colton cause Colton is way better then he is. James needs to lay off and realize some people are better singers then he is. Sorry James but Colton is way better then u will ever be. Besides stop hating on someone then the next day want to vote for them. WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH THAT. Make up your damn mind. Ether u like Colton or not. Take your pick. Colton can be free to be what ever he wants to be and u don’t need to bash on him what so ever. I love Colton for the way he is no matter how he changes Even if he was trying to be like u so what let him be who he wants to be. It is his life not yours. SO BUG THE FUCK OFF. Go deal with your own life. NOW EVERYONE VOTE FOR COLTON!!!!

31. Colton Dixon Fan! Says:
    May 7th, 2012 at 11:17 am

This article is just plain silly. James shame on you for even making a statement like that! Colton isn’t trying to be like anyone but himself! Colton is young and very talented. His talents are not just singing but playing music and writing as well. I don’t think Colton even gave James a thought when he did that performance. Colton has gone outside of his style but with idol you just never know what to do and what not to do that is going to please the crowd! One thing for sure Colton has stayed true to himself and his faith, he didn’t let idols suggestions to put a down low on his being open with his beliefs, he openly told them, I am who I am and that will not change and I am so proud of him for that. I love Colton for what he is trying to do with his life and the inspiration he gives to others! James is talented, he just needs to continue what he does and remember to be humble and not bash others, that behavior will not increase his fan base. It leaves a sour taste in the mouths of those who love Colton! I’m one of those people! Good luck and God bless!

32. Bailey Says:
    June 28th, 2012 at 6:21 pm

James was my fav last year and Colton my fav this year when I found out about what James said about colton that made me mad because Colton was not not trying 2 copy James and he changes the colors of his hair a lot, I was mad and suprized that James would say that

33. Donyelle Says:
    July 27th, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I’m actually really dislike Colton and HATED James last year, but I mean, is he kidding? Yeah James, everybody wants to be like you, a cocky asshole who just shouts

Comments