March 19, 2012 08:00 AM by Lisa Princ

Last week on FOX‘s American Idol, Colton Dixon impressed viewers with his take on a lesser known tune, but what you may not have known is that Colton prays before and after every performance. Recently, Colton Dixon and all the contestants were warned about toning down their “faith talk” on social media sites, but Colton refuses to hide his love of Jesus, even if it means losing the competition. Read on for more…

American Idol contestant, Colton Dixon is not about to tone down his Christianity, even it if means gaining votes on the show. Recently, Idol producers urged all the contestants to tone down their religious and political tweets, warning them that they could potentially cost the contestants some votes, but Colton Dixon refuses, as he told Today.com: “I think that the producers also have a mutual respect that that is a part of who I am. I am not going to hide it, and I am not going to stray away from it just because I am on a TV show.”

20-year-old Colton Dixon can understand why it would deter voters, but that will not stop him as he also explained: “you know, being a Christian is who I am. It is a part of me musically. It is what I want to do after the show – go into Christian music.” Colton is so strong in his belief, that losing voters is a chance he is willing to take, but he will not chance hiding his love of God, as he went on to reveal that sharing the love is God is his ultimate reason for being.

Kudos to Colton Dixon for standing up for his beliefs. Now, it’s your turn to sound off! Does Colton Dixon’s strong Christianity turn you off to rooting for (and voting for) him? Or is Colton a good example for all the youngsters watching the show? Comment below and let us know what you think!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and “like” us on Facebook! For other great American Idol news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: American Idol.

Photos courtesy: American Idol/FOX

Topics: American Idol, FOX Reality TV Shows |

37 Responses to “American Idol’s Colton Dixon Refuses To Tone Down His Christianity To Gain Voters”

1. Brett Says:
    March 19th, 2012 at 9:06 am

Good for him! I would actually be MORE inclined to vote for him for holding strong and not compromising.

2. Barbara Hampton Says:
    March 19th, 2012 at 9:39 am

No in fact Colton’s Christianity is the right roll model that young people need…he’s got my vote and I don’t even like the show..

3. janice Says:
    March 19th, 2012 at 9:45 am

You no what that makes me want to vote for him.Colton keep up the good work.

4. Countrygirl 2012 Says:
    March 19th, 2012 at 11:21 am

Amen to Colton!! I’m proud to see a young person be proud of their faith and stand by it. Keep believing in God and he will take you down the right path!!

5. Carole Says:
    March 19th, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Good for Colton, he is not hiding his faith and what he believes in. I don’t think it will hurt his votes and even if it does he has a higher calling other than American Idol. Keep to your commitment Colton.

6. stefanie Wick Says:
    March 19th, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Good for Colton for standing up for his faith in Jesus!!

7. Ashieka Says:
    March 19th, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Good for you Colton!

8. kevin Says:
    March 19th, 2012 at 7:40 pm

He won’t win, so it doesn’t matter.

9. Sheliah Sharp Beams Says:
    March 19th, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I think it’s Awesome that he expresses his Christainity. I will vote for him just because of that. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE should EVER tell someone to tone down there Christian walk with the Lord. The Lord Jesus Christ started this world and he is gonna be the one to end this world. Just wish more people felt like Colton Dixon.

10. Brad Says:
    March 19th, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Well, Scotty McCreery is very vocal about his faith and he won last season. I may be an atheist, but it is clear to me that voters do not shy away from christian contestants. Scotty wasn’t preachy on the show, and neither is Colton. I really don’t think he has anything to worry about right now.

11. CCB Says:
    March 20th, 2012 at 2:38 am

I can understand bringing up politics but just saying he is a christian is discouraged? I don’t get it. Big deal so he is a christian.would they ask that of a moslem? I don’t think so. That is nothing to be shamed of. How ridiculous.

12. Sohispop Says:
    March 20th, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Good boy Colton, just look at Tim Tebow, and Carrie Underwood, devote Christians, ans look at their careers. You do what’s right, god will do what’s best, always.

13. Jeanie Says:
    March 20th, 2012 at 1:06 pm

It makes me want to vote for him more!! Great for him to stand up and be counted as a Christian!

14. Erin Says:
    March 20th, 2012 at 5:00 pm

“Stand up for what you believe in, even if you have to stand alone.”

I love that Colton is so vocal about his faith. I have never felt like he has been it shoving down our throats. He always speaks with love. He is an incredible role model to, not just young people, but to everyone. I think he has what it takes talent wise to make it all the way. I doubt his faith will cost him many votes. God has big plans for this guy and I am so excited to see where he goes!

15. jim k Says:
    March 20th, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Well the old saying is “The lord giveth and the Lord taketh away” Now if that’s not a fair shake I’ll Kiss your A–.

16. Pita Says:
    March 20th, 2012 at 5:48 pm

So proud of this young man!!! Remember always never be ashamed of your father in Heaven, because when the times comes He will not be ashmed of you. God will do wonders in your life.

17. PapaDog Says:
    March 20th, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Nothing surprising about the producers wanting it toned down. They are “Hollywood” and know full well that message does not go over well with the Gay community, liberals, atheists, and those that love the world… in other words, Hollywood.

18. Laurie Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 2:40 am

To Kevin, 8 reply from above:
    It DOES matter, but not because “he won’t win” as you say. Winning American Idol isn’t the be all, end all. Even Colton says so in the article. Gaining anything by pretending to be who you aren’t isn’t “winning”.
    He has already won in my book.
    The show has booted several contestants off the show over criminal or shady acts, past and present. As they call themselves a “family show and say they are looking for an Idol for people to look up to look up to.”
    Soooo????? Encouraging contestants to be dishonest about their religious beliefs is what a family show or being an Idol is all about? Not hardly.
    By Colton, or anyone, not comprising his faith, and by refusing to change his song choices each week, just in an attempt to gain votes or trick viewers into believing he is something he is not, now that shows character, morals, and that is someone to look up to.

19. MaddyD Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Amen to Colton, very proud of you keep up the good
    work you are a great singer and happy to hear that you love Jesus – You are just what we need today. Never lose the faith. Nice try to the American Idol Show . Colton all the way !!!

20. Ron Hensen Says:
    March 21st, 2012 at 11:21 pm

PapaDog:

Many gay people and liberals are regular church-goers, too. Jesus cared for the sick, the homeless, the hungry and the dying, and he advocated for peace and nonviolence. Sounds pretty “liberal” to me. So please spare us the holier-than-thou Church Lady attitude. Thanks.

21. Helen Chouinard Says:
    March 22nd, 2012 at 4:02 am

Since we really ONLY play our lives to an audience of ONE (GOD) I think COlton’s got it right and I respect him all the more

22. Stephanie Says:
    March 22nd, 2012 at 8:51 am

WAY TO GO COLTON! You are such an inspiration to the public. I love how you are not afraid to stand up for what you believe in, and God will truly bless you for that! Hollywood and the producers of AI can be so stereotypical. It is so refreshing to see someone with your attitude and your faith, not to mention your INCREDIBLE talent, on this show! Keep it up!!!

23. Bianca Says:
    March 22nd, 2012 at 1:54 pm

No one should have to chnage wh o they are for NO ONE! Good for you Colton!! I watch the show, and he is not really a favorite of mine, but I will Definitely vote for him. It’s sad how many people try to fit in to society and they end up losing who they really are :(

24. Brooke Says:
    March 23rd, 2012 at 11:25 am

Colton is my favorite contestant on the show this year and he totally has my vote. I think he’s such a sweet cute boy and he’s so talented. However, the Jesus freak thing is kind of annoying sometimes. It’s his beliefs though, I wouldn’t want somebody to change mine and nobody should try to change his.

25. Marisa Says:
    March 23rd, 2012 at 11:41 pm

I think that it is wonderful that he is standing up for himself as a person. I personally do not have religious ties, and I don’t think you have to in order to respect the bigger Picture here. The reason this is a wonderful thing is not because he is spreading the message of god, it’s that he is spreading the message that you don’t have to sacrifice who you are to achieve greatness, and if that’s the price it’s not worth it.

“If you truly expect to realize your dreams, abandon the need for blanket approval. If conforming to everyone’s expectations is the number one goal, you have sacrificed your uniqueness, and therefore your excellence.”
    ― Hope Solo

26. Sue Says:
    March 24th, 2012 at 9:52 am

Would AI prefer Colton aspire for a reputation like Chris Brown, a violent woman beater, or maybe some of the foul mouthed rap artists that degrade women and have such filthy lyrics, it’s shocking! If Colton was a New Age artist who worshipped the trees, AI would love that! I would be the proudest mom on earth if Colton was my son, and God is proud of Colton, too, because Colton truly is a child of God! He’s got my vote and my 11 and 13 year old children’s vote.

27. Ann Says:
    March 25th, 2012 at 8:00 pm

knowing this I will vote only for Colton now, and vote a billion times for him! thanks American Idol for making up my mind!!! STUPID Hollywood!!

28. Lee Says:
    March 28th, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Yeah, his Christianity peddling is really getting nauseating. Can we just find common ground in good music and not have to listen to him discuss “worshipping” all the time??? What is it with him, Tim Tebow and others, who can’t just be great at what they do without ramming their beliefs down everyone’s throats every time they get the microphone? Sorry, but Christianity is responsible for a lot of the evils in the world, and some of us prefer to keep our distance.

29. Matt Says:
    March 30th, 2012 at 8:46 am

I think his religious peddling is annoying too. I actually find it condescending, as though he and his fans feel he’s above the rest of us, because he’s somehow a “true child of God” and has God on his side.. while the rest of us who don’t believe in his ideology are somehow evil. Just because we don’t believe, we’re all trash, destined for hell. It’s truly a condescending mindset.

30. Brittany Says:
    April 1st, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Lee, Tim Tebow & Colton would not be where they are today and have that talent if not for Jesus blessing them with it. As well as you would not be breathing right now if Jesus wasn’t allowing you to. They are very grateful for what they have been blessed with and so should you.

31. Mark Says:
    April 14th, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Every one has the right to believe in what they want. I am an agnostic so I think it matters little what you believe. God, in one form or another, exists. The proof is the existence of everything else (it couldn’t have “just happened”). I think, with the haircut, I would worry more about losing votes for fear of having another gay winner. I’m sure that the A.I. producers told Adam lambert to keep that tidbit secret til the end. Oh, and to those that are “going to vote for him because he is sticking to his beliefs”, this is A.I, not “American Christian”. Do whats right and vote for the person you would most like to be.

32. fasdfsa Says:
    April 18th, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Now if only he could tell the audience about his sexuality too (he’ s gay)

33. jade lee Says:
    April 27th, 2012 at 12:25 am

I admire Colton Dixon for his honesty. Jessica Sanchez did not acknowledge her Filipino roots, not until she knew she needed the support of her fellow Filipinos. She would rather identify herself as a Mexican because she wanted the support of J Lo. Hey Jessica, are you really Mexican or it’s your mother’s husband who is Mexican.

34. Jackie Says:
    July 31st, 2012 at 3:29 pm

He is right being a christian is a part of him he stayed true to himself even if it will cause him his voters his faith is an example =)

35. Gracen Says:
    August 18th, 2012 at 3:49 pm

You may think Colton is losing votes. But he’s not. if you look at his twitter almost all his fans are Christians! He has the Christian vote PLUS the girl vote PLUS the rock vote PLUS the worldly vote!

36. Truth? Says:
    October 4th, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Maybe his extreme religious cover is to hide his true personality undertone which is that he’s gay, won’t admit it because it violates his religious beliefs and he might be afraid that he will be an outcast to the world. aka Michael Faith circa 1980′s
    Praise Jesus all you bible huggn fools hehe

37. Shasa Says:
    February 22nd, 2014 at 3:17 pm

To me, I really admire his love for Jesus because there are not a lot people who will do what he did. Now days, all people care about is fame, which is not a bad thing, but they forget what they believed in. For me, Faith is part of me and my everything. Someone who can’t accept me for what I believe in and for who I am, then what is the point. I think the people who tells the contestants to tone down their faith, has no right to tell them that because how would those people know the voters. Another thing is that, if the voters like the contestants then they will vote but either way voters will vote for the one they like. Also, for Truth?- It can be a cover up but I doubt it because there a lot people who follow through with their faith. To people like him and me, it’s important and there is no way we will hide for what we believe in.
    Reading this article, made me like Colton Dixon even more!!

Comments