Erika Van Pelt: Should She Have Been Saved on ‘American Idol’?

March 23, 2012 08:39 AM by Shayla Perry

She gave an “outstanding” performance of Billy Joel‘s “New York State of Mind” on Wednesday night. She even cut off all of her hair and dyed it black! But that wasn’t enough to keep Erika Van Pelt in the competition on FOX‘s American Idol. Facing elimination, Van Pelt belted out Whitney Houston’s “I Believe in You and Me,” only to have the judges tell her that they wouldn’t be saving her. But did they make the right decision?

The fans have voted and Erika Van Pelt is no longer in the running to be the next American Idol.

After her Wednesday night performance of Billy Joel’s “New York State of Mind,” Randy Jackson told Van Pelt that she was “one of the best singers in this whole thing,” with Jennifer Lopez adding that the vocal was “beautiful.”

Still, the judges didn’t want to use their one and only “save” to keep Erika in the competition.

According to Van Pelt, she understands that there’s still a long way to go, and that with the “crazy” way voting has gone in the past, they’re going to need to reserve that “save,” but do you agree?

Do you think Erika Van Pelt should’ve been given the chance to move on in the competition, or do you think the judges did the right thing by letting her go, and keeping the “save” for later? Sound off in the Comments section below. We want to hear from you!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and “like” us on Facebook! For other great American Idol news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: American Idol.

Photos courtesy: American Idol/FOX

Topics: American Idol, FOX Reality TV Shows |

19 Responses to “Erika Van Pelt: Should She Have Been Saved on ‘American Idol’?”

1. Sage's Mom Says:
    March 23rd, 2012 at 9:22 am

They should have saved Erica. Hopefully they won’t save that ONE for Heyjun or DeAndre…YIKES, they are borderline….

2. KJ Hickman Says:
    March 23rd, 2012 at 9:24 am

After all they made her do they should have insisted she stay. She did a great job with her song too. This was clearly a bad decision. Heejun should have been the one to go home.

3. mimivierra Says:
    March 23rd, 2012 at 9:38 am

There is no way she should have been sent home
    yet.
    She obviously isn’t the most popular but come on. we all know Heejun shouldn’t be there and deeandre has the tween vote. Nobody can outtext those tweens. come on adults lets vote

4. Linda Says:
    March 23rd, 2012 at 9:43 am

She was one of the best singers this season,she has personality and the fact that she changed her look to please someone, it is great that she is among the top ten and will still tour is great, obviously the judges have the save for a reason, and I fell they have someone in mind to use it on if needed.

5. Charlotte Gunniss Says:
    March 23rd, 2012 at 9:43 am

No way should Erika have gone home last night. There are at least 3 people on that stage that should not even be there. I don’t know how that made it this far. The judges have always praised her. The woman can sing. I am very disappointed. America should not be voiting on this at all. It turns into a popularity contest. Why do you have judges?? I realize they could have saved her and didn’t. Don’t know who they are saving that for. She deserves to be there. I am done with this show.

6. Terri Says:
    March 23rd, 2012 at 10:09 am

Erika Van Pelt was one of the best. It’s a shame they keep someone like Heejun who is just in it for the fun of it, as it appears and they keep him to keep the ratings up. Very sad.

7. Paul Remmos Says:
    March 23rd, 2012 at 10:11 am

She absolutely should have been saved! Missed call on the judges part.

8. Judy Says:
    March 23rd, 2012 at 10:15 am

American Idol needs to change their voting. All of the yound girls vote for the guys whether they did a good job singing or not.

9. Lois Bennek Says:
    March 23rd, 2012 at 10:16 am

I don’t think Erica should have been put in that position to begin with. HeJunne should have been the one to go. His performance was horiffic. I think American should vote but the judges should decide which one of the bottom three should go. I thought this was a singing contest not Last comic standing.

10. aprilrayne Says:
    March 23rd, 2012 at 10:43 am

i do not think she would win american idol, although she is a great singer. it’s true that she is a better singer than some still remaining in the contest but as you mentioned… the “crazy” way of voting has caused her to be kicked out before the other “so-so” singer’s. in fact, this was a perfect reason for the judges not to use their “save” because they know that popularity may push other contestants further along than previously anticipated and that if one of the really amazing contestants (jessica, elise, phillip and colton) get dumped then they want to make sure that america is REALLY sure and use the save to help give that person one last chance.

11. m Says:
    March 23rd, 2012 at 10:56 am

Of course she should have been saved!!! She is a real talent!!! It’s amazing how a twit like Lauren Alaina can sail on through with little or no talent and then you have a first prize act that gets the boot. The voters are brain dead!!!

12. Roger McCarthy Says:
    March 23rd, 2012 at 11:00 am

Erika should have not even come to the place of needing to be saved. She is better than about 4 of the others on the show. Heejun should have gone.

13. Sandy Says:
    March 23rd, 2012 at 11:23 am

It was time for her to go. She just never seemed to be able to connect emotionally with the song or the audience. Personally, I couldn’t hear her vocally until I “closed my eyes” because she was so disconnected. The Judges did the right thing by letting her go. There are at least 7 remaining contestants who I feel are far better than her.

14. Shawn Says:
    March 25th, 2012 at 3:15 pm

That was a huge mistake, not using the save. I am very sad for her, she is a much better singer and performer than a couple of the other singers that are still in the competetion :(

15. Mindy Ross Says:
    March 25th, 2012 at 4:52 pm

No, Erika should not have been saved. She needs to work on her image, for one thing. Lose a little weight and wear a bra on television for God’s sakes! Her performance was bland. America is looking for the next Adam Lambert or Jennifer Hudsom. Erika has a pretty face and a good voice but is not ready to be an American Idol.

16. david Says:
    March 25th, 2012 at 6:56 pm

I have never been a big fan of “idol”, and erica getting the boot is the reason why. yes, they say its about talent, well the auditions are but when you get this far it ceeses to be about talent and becomes a popularity contest. If it was about talent; that hee jude dude and milli vinilli would not be there. the judges sent home, in hollywood week, much better singers then those too.

17. Chelsea Says:
    March 25th, 2012 at 7:20 pm

At first, I thought save her! But, now that I think about it, I’m glad they didn’t. Erika was very good, but I don’t think she was the best. I think the judges wanna keep there save just in case there is a “pia like” elimination like last year. And that would be, in my opinion, hollie, jessica and colton. I think they are the best in this competition. That’s who I would use the save on if it came to that. I hope the judges would feel the same!

18. Linda Says:
    March 25th, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I can’t beleive that Erica was eliminated from American Idol and what about the singers that are just sliding along in the competition.

19. Ana Says:
    March 31st, 2012 at 9:00 pm

The judges already used the save once for Erika in the top 13 wild card round! She had her 2nd chance! I think the judges are keeping the save for someone who really has a shot at winning. I don’t think Erika would’ve made it to the very end.

Comments