Bachelor Show Discrimination Case: ABC Responds

April 19, 2012 10:12 AM by Megan Thompson

The Bachelor franchise was slapped with a discrimination lawsuit this week.  Two African American men are filing a class action lawsuit against ABC for being treated unfairly during The Bachelor audition process.  Keep reading to find out what ABC has to say about the lack of black men and women on The Bachelor and The Bachelorette

It’s no lie; there hasn’t been an African American bachelor or bachelorette handing out roses on the hit ABC show.  Can you even name an African American suitor on the show?  Me either!  Christopher Johnson and Nathaniel Claybrooks are the two men who said they were treated unfairly by ABC.  TMZ broke the story yesterday and learned that both men were left out the “normal” audition process and one producer even asked him, “What are you doing here?”

So what does ABC have to say about this discrimination lawsuit?  In a statement released  by ABC they say the lawsuit is ”baseless and without merit.”  ‘In fact, we have had various participants of color throughout the series history and the producers have been consistently and publicly vocal about seeking diverse candidates for both programs.”

Really? It’s hard to believe that producers haven’t found one suitable black man or woman to have on the show! Maybe shelling out a few bucks to these two men will make the producers look harder.

What do you think about this potential lawsuit? Let us know your opinion, leave a comment below.

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook! For other great The Bachelor news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: The Bachelor.

Topics: ABC Reality TV Shows, The Bachelor, The Bachelorette |

25 Responses to “Bachelor Show Discrimination Case: ABC Responds”

1. Lane Says:
    April 19th, 2012 at 10:38 am

I’ve never seen a lesbian, gay man or transgendered on there either, but no one is sueing them for that!

2. kk Says:
    April 19th, 2012 at 11:04 am

Really people does everything have to be about race??? Maybe black people have better things to do with their time rather than enter a TV show!!!

this is coming from a white individual that is sick of the reality shows… GET a LIFE

3. chanel Says:
    April 19th, 2012 at 11:38 am

I think that is crazy that I have not seen any either on the show better yet, it is hard to meet a decent black man who does not have alot of kids or 3 or 4 babys momma’s.

4. Rachael Says:
    April 19th, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Really? the whole time the show has been on not one bachelor or bachelorette has been african american? How many years has it been running?
    who does ABC think they are fooling? That’s so obvious!

5. Nat Says:
    April 19th, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Could ABC name a few? I’m serious……..

Welcome to the new millenium, more than white folk watch the tv and black folk have educations to now. Oh and other ethnic folks exist to!

6. T Says:
    April 19th, 2012 at 12:40 pm

ok another attempt at 15 minutes of fame. Yes there have been black contestants on the show, but the selection process is that of the bachelor or bachelorette, not of the network. You can’t blame the network for their elimination. There have been hispanic men and women on the show. I think there selection of contestants vying to be selected have been very diverse.

The role of the bachelor or bachelorette seems to be based on popularity of previous contestants these days. They do have a good base to pick from. Maybe if an African American made his mark and won over public favor he or she would be elevated to the status of bachelor or bachelorette. Personally, I think that Ally’s recent ex, his name is eluding me at the moment would make the next bachelor show iconic.

It’s about character not color…stop taking cheap shots on the race card. I could sue for age discrimination in there not being a 50 something person as a bachelor or bachelorette or contestant!

7. B Bonds Says:
    April 19th, 2012 at 12:49 pm

why are people always looking for money or a hand out or a reason to sue? HONESTLY color doesnt matter red white black blue cant we just work america??? and stop looking for someone else to foot the bill?

8. Heidi Says:
    April 19th, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I think the show is stupid and a slap in the face on what it means to find a relationship. That being said, I think the guys are right and should follow through – make ABC answer it with a payment.

9. Eleanor Says:
    April 19th, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I believe they are discriminating because they can’t use color as a reason since many different races intermarry. I don’t think any Asians were on it either. They can’t use race as a reason because so many intermarry.

10. Kevin Says:
    April 19th, 2012 at 1:01 pm

I’m all for the lawsuit, provided these guys have a legitimate beef. I don’t watch either show, as I believe there’s just too many reality shows out there. But if they can show that the producers of these shows have in fact purposely left black contestants off the shows, then I say ABC should pay.

11. Chyna Black Says:
    April 19th, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I agree there are a lack of African Americans on the show and yes I would have loved to have seen a black bachelor or bachelorette by now. In fact, I had stopped watching the show because of it.

12. Laurie Says:
    April 19th, 2012 at 1:10 pm

While I’m an avid fan of the show, I know they have not had an Afro American Bachelor or Bachelorette for that matter – the show has however had those types of contestants on their show – just not the main person to hand out roses. While I understand how the men are feeling, I don’t feel a lawsuit is justified – it’s all about what the producers want and ratings for the show. They should be given a fair chance to interview for the top spot though in my opinion.

13. Chris Says:
    April 19th, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I wondered the same thing. It is not just African Americans. Has there been any person of colors that was a bachelor or bachelorette?

14. C Says:
    April 19th, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I completely agree with the lawsuit, me being a african-american woman, I’ve watched the show for years in the past but I realized that ABC has never had a African-American Bachelor or Bachelorette and that pissed me off, so I’ve quit watching and never will watch again until ABC shows some diversity in their choices.

15. Biff Tannen Says:
    April 19th, 2012 at 2:34 pm

This ‘political correctness bulls*** has gone too far. sorry liberal media not ALL white girls are attracted to black guys despite what you shove down our throat every chance you get

16. VFar Says:
    April 19th, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I think it is a shame, I hope the 2 men win, I have not seen any men or women of color in years on that show. I remember One season I saw one Black female participant and of course she got a rose.

17. Jake Says:
    April 19th, 2012 at 3:13 pm

And how many whites are in the miss black USA contest, How many whites are invited to the congressional black caucus meetings. And when are we going to get more whites, Hispanics Asians etc in basketball. I’m tired of the race BS.

18. Barbra Mwangi Says:
    April 19th, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I don’t blame the two black guys. I’ve always wondered why there weren’t any bachelors/ bachelorettes or contestants. I’ve watched most if not all seasons and I only remember one black girl. That’s sad!

19. A. Noil Says:
    April 19th, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Is America suppose to ignore the blatent bigotry and biases set before our own eyes? Hell No ! I am no longer a viewer of “that show” because of lack of diversity on the show. Oh use your token few and call it what you want ABC. I call it RACISM. I hope “the boys ” hit ABC’s pocket Dam Hard.

20. michael Says:
    April 19th, 2012 at 6:44 pm

ARE you kidding me there also have been no asians or anybody from India WHY don’t we ever receive these law suites from them? It is ALWAYS BLACKS saying what about us??

21. gil king Says:
    April 20th, 2012 at 8:04 am

It’s about ratings. The vast majority of viewers do not want to see a black bachelor or bachelorette or ABC would have created the show years ago. Everytime there are blacks in the cast, they get eliminated, and usually on the first night.
    I wish that the race card would not enter this subject, as it’s simply a crutch for those who cant or wont rely on self worth to succeed.
    I would not watch the show if the primary character were black, and inviting inter-racial sexual and marital relationships which overwealmingly become failures.

22. Jennifer Says:
    May 13th, 2012 at 11:16 am

Why does everything have to go through race issue approval… Black people are able to have “The Black Bachelor” show if they want to …while there could never be a show called “The White Bachelor”. Everyone knows (even blacks) that if they start putting black people on that show it will fail. Honestly I don’t think black people WANT to be on that show and mix with whites!!! They would rather have an all black show. Those two black guys sueing are just wanting money …that is all….they don’t care anything about going through the process with white people.

23. Ross Says:
    July 29th, 2012 at 8:35 pm

These two guys failed to realized that they were allowed to audition. During the process, they were eliminated based on competition. So, what is the problem.

Discrimination would imply that they didn’t even get to try. No one is ‘entitled’ to have success in a competitive environment.

24. Catrock Says:
    January 10th, 2013 at 8:56 am

I understand how these black people feel that they should have some Black Bachelor or Bachelorette Show. I would say What about Deaf Bachelor or Bachelorette Show???

25. Lola Says:
    June 4th, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I always wonder the same thing. I have never seen a black, Hispanic, Asian, etc. Why? They also have good jobs, good life, are very looking and successful as well. So, why?

I wonder the same thing about People “the sexiest man alive”. there are no latinos, black, or any other race than white. why?

Comments