Teresa Giudice Explains That Olive Garden Comment

April 25, 2012 08:00 AM by Shayla Perry

Yes, we’re still talking about that darn cookbook! Since the Season 3 finale of The Real Housewives of New Jersey, Teresa Giudice‘s joke about Caroline Manzo being “as Italian as The Olive Garden” has been at the center of a lot of the drama on the Bravo reality show. The Manzo family wasn’t laughing when they read it, but did they know about the joke before the book came out? FINALLY, Teresa explains it all.

“In 2010, I began writing Fabulicious! Teresa’s Family Cookbook,” Giudice explains in her Bravo blog. “I had just filmed a Housewives scene with Caroline and Jacqueline and cried, telling them how they were my family too. And Caroline and I appeared on the Rachel Ray show together for a meatball ‘throw down.’ We were supposed to good-naturedly ‘trash-talk’ each other. Caroline said I had to ‘disguise my meatballs with gravy,’ and that her meatballs were going to ‘kick my meatballs’ butts!’

“I literally couldn’t think of any fake insults except, ‘A meatball without sauce? Who does that?’” says T. And in her defense, if you saw her during the improv challenge on Celebrity Apprentice, you know that she doesn’t exactly think very quickly on her feet.

“Then, one of the Rachel Ray producers came up with a line I thought was pretty funny,” Giudice continues. “‘Caroline’s as Italian as The Olive Garden.’ The idea was that since I was conceived in Italy and Italian is my first language, that I cook the traditional way. Caroline’s family is Italian-American, like The Olive Garden, and that’s how she cooks. I bake my meatballs in sauce; she fries hers with no sauce”

According to T, she and Caroline “laughed throughout the show,” and the reason that she recycled the joke in the cookbook was because she was including her meatball recipe and referenced the Rachel Ray meatball challenge, adding that while she’s not a fan of The Olive Garden, “I am, however, a huge fan of Caroline Manzo.”

It wasn’t until after the cookbook was released that Caroline and her family took issue with the comment.

Has Teresa’s explanation of the joke changed your view of the whole cookbook calamity?

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and “like” us on Facebook! For other great Reality TV News, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: The Real Housewives of New Jersey.

For more breaking news about celebrities and entertainment visit our sister site SheKnows!

Photo Credit: Bravo

Topics: Bravo Reality TV Shows, The Real Housewives Of New Jersey |

12 Responses to “Teresa Giudice Explains That Olive Garden Comment”

1. Jen Says:
    April 25th, 2012 at 9:09 am

If it’s true. st the seems to twist things sometimes. Caroline would need to verify.

2. shawn Says:
    April 25th, 2012 at 9:32 am

i still think shes an idiot..

3. eve Says:
    April 25th, 2012 at 9:34 am

The Olive Garden thing—-Tre-that works for me. Caroline and Tre are totally different-so what. Keep it moving!!!! I personally like Tre but I also “bake my meatballs” and I not even close to being Italian. I like Caroline better the first season before she became “cranky”. Oh well that just my humble opinion. lol.

4. magean Says:
    April 25th, 2012 at 9:59 am

Teresa’s explanation of the joke wasn’t necessary. I don’t believe she disrespected the Manzo’s in her cook book. They were her friends and should understand her humor. Teresa did apologies in person to Caroline on the first episode of season 4. I believe Coraline’s “issues” with Teresa go much deeper then this book, perhaps she is being persuaded by her adult children and their friend Greg ,who by the ways trashed talked Teressa all of season 3, but that was okay for them to disrespect Teresa but a joke is unforgivable?? Unbelievable!

5. Ms KSwiss Says:
    April 25th, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Team Teresa!

6. Shandrell Says:
    April 25th, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Let me just say this… I think that she is so full of shit in every way. She wants everyone to take her side in everything that she does. Stop worrying about what others say and get on you’re shit. Who gives a good fuck about your money and what you got now and what you did not have then. Your ass ack like you can’t even bye a fucking shirt from Target.  Let me say something on this shit… You need to show them damn kids that you are the damn parent and not there friend on the damn street, you need to hit they ass in the mouth when they jump smart with you. See that’s what’s wrong with kids now days they think they are too fucking grown, if they think so let they ass pay a bill are go get a damn job to help your ass pay all them damn bills cause look like to me your the only one that’s making money in that household. Teresa get over your damn self and start looking at the bigger picture, you don’t have no damn money so you try write a damn cooking book with your family recipes, what about your cooking…. O I forget you’re ass don’t know how to cook. And then you try to go hard on you’re friends and family in the ugly ass cook book like really who does that. You are a no good friend and family member you really through them under the bus. Look you really hurt them and you and your little dick husband only care about the fucking money. Remember this ass hole blood is so thicker the water and no matter what happens you still family. You and your ugly ass husband about MONEY, MONEY, MONEY!!!!

7. Yvonne Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 2:48 am

Teresa, is full of shit,if that were true the whats the story behind the strippers and the car wash? GET IT?? And all the things she told them about Melisa and Joe before the show. TERESA is an evil liar,who acts like she wants her brother for herself. The nerve of her to say Kathy ane Melisa didnt ask her if they could be on the show. She’s so mad with Carloline she went back and told Dena all kinds of lies,whoop there it is. CAROLINE HAS DONE A Great job in raiseing her kids. Cant imagine how Teresa kids will turn out,she even people grown people responsibity on her Gia,but the said part is she doesnt see any thing wrong with it. Dumb as a box or rocks

8. Mel Says:
    April 28th, 2012 at 6:09 am

For Starters…I LOVE Tree. But let’s me honest she is not witty enough to come up with this comment “reference Caroline Manzo to the Olive Garden” on her own. This TOTALLY seems written for TV. So I believe this 100 %.

Tree has had some VERY valid points throughout season 3 she just didn’t/doesnt do a great Job in explaining herself and then becomes the but of the jokes. some people aren’t and that’s ok. It’s like she needs a PR team to help her get her point across meaningfully and tactfully because she does have reason to be upset.

Looks like she’s headed down a better path… Wishing her ALL THE BEST and hope she comes out in top!

9. J from NJ Says:
    May 1st, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Teresa is a downright IMBECILE. And Dina Manzo? OMG what a piece of garbage. You want to know a golddigger? There she is for REAL! Meanwhile, Teresa acts like she is best friends with Dina the Golddigger, but tries to call out Melissa as a golddigger. Teresa is SO transparent, she is jealous of EVERYONE! She KNOWS she is not a pretty girl, with that monkey fur forehead, and she hates that Melissa is young, and pretty. Also Teresa is a BAD mother, awful, horrible, the worst mother I can imagine. The way Gia has to take responsibility for her sisters is sad and pathetic. Milania is a little biatch!!!! OMG terror child. Her disgusting pig husband makes me throw up in my mouth. What a nasty horrible little troll!!!! Ewwwww!!!! She has no right to criticize Caroline’s kids, who are hardworking, entrepreneurial, nice people with good heads on their shoulders. Teresa makes me gag. I hate her SO much, and I can’t stand seeing her damn face on every magazine, it’s like National Geographic. That monkey face.

10. Kellie Says:
    May 9th, 2012 at 11:02 pm

uhm, my grandmother is Sicilian – off the boat – and she fries her meatballs withOUT sauce and then puts them in the SAUCE to finish cooking all day. If you put them in the sauce raw, a lot of them fall apart. My whole family makes the meatballs that way. I didn’t know they were made any other way until I saw this argument.

11. meh Says:
    May 18th, 2012 at 8:25 am

Fried meatballs taste like crap, too heavy on the stomach, my entire family all cook meatballs in the sauce without frying thdm and they never fall apart they remain whole. Maybe you aren’t using enough egg or cheese in them? Also, you’d be overcooking the meat by fying them first then having them cook in sauce all day. That is the way my family and Sicilian Nonna cooks them anyway.

12. Elma Says:
    August 30th, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Caroline needs to stop being so sensitive. She calls her daughter sensitive??? CAROLINE, LOOK AT YOURSELF! Get a grip and get over it! Geez. If she laughed about it before, what the heck changed??????? Just because it was in writing???? Talk about being stupid, Caroline. STUPID.

Comments