May 21, 2012 07:19 AM by Shayla Perry

“I Will Always Love You” may have been originally recorded by country star Dolly Parton, but the late Whitney Houston made it her own when she covered the song for the soundtrack to The Bodyguard. Now, as the entertainment world continues to mourn the loss of one of the greatest voices of all time, the song has been performed by not one, but three of FOX‘s American Idol contestants, most recently, Jordin Sparks during last night’s Billboard Awards. Whose version of the Whitney hit was better: Jordin’s, Jennifer Hudson‘s, or 2012 finalist Jessica Sanchez?

Okay, so for those of you who missed last night’s Billboard Awards, you’re kind of at a loss because it’s still early and there aren’t many great clips of Jordin Sparks’ performance yet (sorry Jordin!). If a better one comes along, we’ll add it.

Also, if it helps your decision at all, keep these things in mind….

Jordin Sparks performed in front of Whitney Houston’s family, including daughter Bobbi Kristina, and Jennifer had to do her rendition practically right after the singer was found dead in her hotel room… Just a few things to mull over.

Jordin Sparks, 2012 Billboard Music Awards

Jennifer Hudson, 2012 Grammy Awards

Jessica Sanchez, American Idol‘s Whitney Houston Week

Alright RTVM, time for you to weigh in. We know that no one compares to the late Whitney Houston, but which American Idol star’s version of “I Will Always Love You” was better — Jordin Sparks, Jennifer Hudson, or this year’s finalist, Jessica Sanchez? Tell us who’s got your vote in the Comments section below.

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and “like” us on Facebook!For other great American Idol news, please feel free to check outSirLinksALot: American Idol.

Visit our sister site SheKnows for more breaking news about celebrities and entertainment!

Photos courtesy: WENN

Topics: American Idol, FOX Reality TV Shows, Jennifer Hudson, Jordin Sparks |

21 Responses to “Jordin Sparks Vs. Jennifer Hudson and Jessica Sanchez: Which Idol’s Tribute to Whitney Houston Was Better?”

1. harmony Says:
    May 21st, 2012 at 7:48 am

Jordin Sparks was better hands down. Jennifer Hudson has a more powerful voice but I think given the circumstances, her voice was strained from crying.

2. G. Clarke Says:
    May 21st, 2012 at 7:50 am

Jordin Sparks’ version was beautiful but Jessica was the one who gave me goosebumps. So I have to vote for Jessica Sanchez.

3. VickyKnows Says:
    May 21st, 2012 at 7:59 am

Amber Riley makes all 3 of them sounds like pure crap … they ALL hit bad notes but Mercedes (I mean Amber) did it properly! Kudos to the Idol reject who schooled them all :-)

4. Sharon Nelson Says:
    May 21st, 2012 at 8:37 am

Jordan Sparks sang I Wiil Always Love with heart and a true closeness to Whitney’s version. She felt the words and sang them with utmost respect to the Voice.

5. rere Says:
    May 21st, 2012 at 8:40 am

jennifer jennifer jennifer
    her performance was more heart felt.

6. Didimoe Says:
    May 21st, 2012 at 8:41 am

Jennifer Hudson definitely gives the goose bumps. Jordan Spark, sweet girl but kinda “kareoke”. Jessica, other worldly but no Jennifer Hudson!

All good singers. I would love to hear Kari Underwood sing it.

7. Debbi Taylor Says:
    May 21st, 2012 at 8:48 am

All though they were all good, Jessica Sanchez’s rendition was Number 1 hands down. She sounds just like Whitney. Jessica’s was so good, that I get goose bumps all over everytime I hear it! I didn’t get that with the other two. I personally feel that Jessica Sanchez IS the NEXT Whitney!

8. Hilda Webb Says:
    May 21st, 2012 at 9:24 am

Toss up between Jordin and Jesscia.Jordin may have a .01 percent edge.

9. Shayla Perry Says:
    May 21st, 2012 at 9:36 am

@VickyKnows: Wasn’t Amber’s version pre-recorded for the episode? Kind of an unfair advantage compared to Jordin, Jennifer and Jessica’s live versions IMO. ;)

10. Alex Says:
    May 21st, 2012 at 10:03 am

Jordin and Hudson have slight advantages owing to their ages and the years they have been in the industry professionally. Jessica, for her age sang above way beyond her age. Can you imagine her sing this in 4 or 6 years? All we can say is they have their own style of rendition.

11. Larry Says:
    May 21st, 2012 at 1:24 pm

All were great in their own way. Jordon’s had a different tone than Whitney. Jennifer really took it away from the original, and added in a lot personalization.

Jessica was definitely the best in my opinion … it was clear, innocent and powerful! I can listen to Jessica & picture Whitney! Thank you Jessica!

12. Terri Studer Says:
    May 21st, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I think it ranks Jessica Sanchez, Jennifer Hudson, Jordan Sparks. While they all did unblievable renditions, Jessica sounded so much like Whitney’s version. At 16, she is going to be a huge star, like Whitney. I hope she steers clear of the pitfalls in the music business that derail so many talented people. RIP Whitney.

13. Michaela Says:
    May 21st, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Jennifer hudson is better than all its just in that one time she sang the song she was trying to hold back tears.Now if you watch the one were she sang it when Ms.Houston was alive you would see that jennifer hudson got a standing ovation form Whitney Houston herself. Jennifer hudson over all is better than all these women but still props to jordan and jessica.No disrespect

14. Whassup012 Says:
    May 21st, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Jennifer Hudson

15. Anne Colton Says:
    May 22nd, 2012 at 6:27 am

I think Jessica’s was the best, technically and emotionally. I think Jennifer Hudson came in second, Sparks third – I thought she was weak with the high notes. Although Hudson’s version was heartfelt and very powerful, Sanchez hit the high notes powerfully as well, but when she went soft, it was amazing. None of the others showed that range and that incredible tenderness. I hope she wins this week!

16. Carmi Mckenna Says:
    May 22nd, 2012 at 7:45 am

They were all great singers but in my personal opinion Jessica was the best among the three. Jessica has a voice control and the tenderness of her voice is so amazing. She gave me a goosebumps on this performace. So, unbelievable for her age. Oh my God, who can sing like that at the age of 16, so pro. I never watched AI since I flip my channel and see her singing from then on I started watching it and can’t wait to see her perform. She is so amazing that she got me hooked on the show, stay up late coz I live on the Eastcoast and cast a vote. That is something for me to do that. I Hope she wins coz I am voting for her.

17. karena Says:
    May 22nd, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Jessica hands down! Jessica’s vibrato is sick!

18. lydia Says:
    May 22nd, 2012 at 6:14 pm

JESSICA OF COURSE,SUCH A PURE VOICE AND IT WILL KEEP ON GETTING BETTER.

19. JJ Says:
    May 25th, 2012 at 8:45 am

Jennifer Hudson was the best because she was in the moment right after the death.

20. Jessica C Says:
    June 10th, 2012 at 7:52 am

JESSICA SANCHEZ HANDS DOWN!!!!

21. Simon Sullivan Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 5:45 am

Jessica for me! When me and my family watched Idol, Jessica was the one singing and we got hooked up immediately coz she has an amazing voice did it the best! She even made my Grandma cry! Second is Jennifer.. I love Jennifer but this song goes to Jessica! Jordin though, did amazing job too.

Comments