Will Phillip Phillips Be A Hit for American Idol?

May 26, 2012 08:24 AM by Francisca Stewart

Phillip Phillips Successful for American Idol?

On Wednesday night Phillip Phillips won the coveted first place prize in the popular singing competition American Idol. What this win entails is a $1 million dollar recording contract, a Ford car, and the top title of American Idol. But what remains to be seen is if he will be a success now that the show is over.  Will he follow in the footsteps of American Idol triumphs like Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood, or will he instead fall by the wayside like past failures such as Ruben Studdard or Kris Allen?

Many viewers felt that 16-year-old runner up Jessica Sanchez should have won over the guitar toting 21-year-old Phillip Phillips.  She was easily the more talented singer of the two, as Phillips was often out of tune and didn’t really stand out too much.  And even Phillips himself has admitted that he was not the most talented singer in the competition. But nonetheless the singing heartthrob received the majority of the 132 million votes that were made on the music competition show, and this just goes to show that Phillips had some pull for viewers that made his lesser singing ability ultimately less important.

For some viewers, Phillips’ win was predictable after many seasons of similar types of American Idol winners.  Phillip Phillips follows in the footsteps of Scotty McCreery, Lee DeWyze, Kris Allen, and David Cook.  What do these winners all have in common? According to many twitter followers, Phillip Phillips is just the latest American Idol winner who is a “white guy with a guitar.”

Only time will tell if he can prove the critics wrong and make a name for himself past his fifteen minutes of fame in the world of music. His song “Home” is catchy and has gotten some notice but now season 11 has come to a close and only time will tell if Phillip Phillips has staying power like the rare few singing idols have had.

Now, we want to hear from you! Did America get it right this season on American Idol? Or should Jessica Sanchez should have won? Comment and tell us what you think below!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and “like” us on Facebook!For other great American Idol news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: American Idol.

Visit our sister site SheKnows for more breaking news about celebrities and entertainment!

Topics: American Idol |

16 Responses to “Will Phillip Phillips Be A Hit for American Idol?”

1. Jo-ann Molina Says:
    May 26th, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Sanchez deserved to be the 11th American Idol. The comment regarding Philip is just ” another white guy with a guitar” is absolutely correct! If they were asked to sing the same songs…do you thing Philip can do it?..I know Jessica could…think about the degree of difficulty on the songs that Jessica sang…go figure!!!

2. jmcconnor Says:
    May 26th, 2012 at 12:25 pm

phillip doesn’t care if he sells a thousand records or a million, he just loves the music. thank you for getting it right, America!!

3. Courtney Says:
    May 26th, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Jessica sanchez should have won she is WAY more talented than philip philips nd he will not be famous bc he is horrible off key nd tro predictable jessicas performances are always WOW nd exciting nd she sings beautifully.if anyone thinks otherwise than they have a hearing problem

4. Dorothy Thompson Says:
    May 26th, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Absolutely. He had charm, he had charisma, I’m old enough to be his grandma and he melted my heart. If you go back and listen to his songs on YouTube, you can get a sense of a voice that is uniquely different.

5. djr0420 Says:
    May 26th, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I think America got it right when they voted for Phillip2 I he was a key off here or there it did not really show because of his unique way to singing. Even though Phillip is a WGWG his does not fall in the same category as the other for previous winners. I think he will a name for himself. Scotty M is finishing up his high school years and I also believe he will take his career forward.

6. Sandra Says:
    May 27th, 2012 at 7:33 am

I am glad Phillip won. He was original, self-aware, creative, willing to risk, didn’t take himself too seriously, and was full of absolute joy when singing/playing. Although Jessica had magnificient technical skills, she had none of these traits – in part due to her age (which I think has been reported to be older than 16) and in part probably to who she is as a performer. Repeatedly they say AI is about the “whole package” – well, clearly – He was; she wasn’t.

7. Bonnie Says:
    May 27th, 2012 at 11:05 am

Phillips is “just another white guy with a guitar” and Sanchez is just another girl with a great voice. He just happened to get more votes.

8. marie luvs el maya Says:
    May 27th, 2012 at 6:52 pm

America made the right choice. P2 is a true souhtern gentleman, he stayed true to himself singing his music and playing his music (or as he calls it “jammin”).I could and actually do listen to his songs over and over again love his voice. My husband has never watched this show until this year and actually I havent since season 3, he told me P2 could win. We actually attended all the viewing parties and the homecoming concert for P2(by the way we live in Leesburg). P2 will be around a long time singing and playing his guitar.

9. Mary Lou Says:
    May 27th, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I picked Phil from the first time he opened his mouth. He was different. He prounced the words to the songs. He didn’t try to scream over anyone else. I’ll buy his music.

10. Sarah Says:
    May 27th, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I hate when people say that Phillip falls under the WGWG category. Phillip has a sense for music and great integrity that NONE of the others had. I mean, he worships Dave Matthews and was the first ever to cover one of his songs ever on the show! The songs he chose to sing we those who touched him, not what America wanted to hear; and all of that makes him stand out from the WGWG.

11. kim Says:
    May 28th, 2012 at 3:34 am

I agree with jmcconnor. Yeah Phillip doesn’t care about being famous he just wants to play music. I wish him well. no ill feelings for Jessica. she’s young and talented and will go a long way. I’m proud of her being Filipino myself. BUT i love Phillip he’s a good person. He deserves it.

12. Bruce Says:
    May 28th, 2012 at 6:58 am

He was not the best vocally in terms of range, but he does have a unique recognizable sound and that is what many previous contestants do not have. Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac, Joe Cocker, Phil Collins, Pearl Jam are just some of the examples of singers with unique sounds. His sound made many old songs sound new and sometimes better. He put his personality into each song with his vocals and his expressions. Question will be if his own stuff will have enough variety to not become boring. David Cook and Kris Allen sound like so many others. My wife and I wish him and his family well, it certainly is the American Dream if he can continue on to be successful.

13. alysia Says:
    May 28th, 2012 at 7:22 am

i wish you people who clearly have no talent, or you would have been on AI would shut up. all the contestants tried their hardest to win, phillip didnt have to he just went out there and sang. he has a good atitude, win or loose im gonna sing!

14. Bobby C Says:
    May 28th, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Phillip Phillips is the real deal. He’s a musician, a singer songwriter, an artist. He’s current. It’s about time American Idol was won by someone who is destined for stardom!!!!

15. Susan Says:
    May 29th, 2012 at 4:57 pm

I’m sooo glad he won-I knew from the beginning. He definitely is unique. He reminds me so of Dave Matthews., and that’s a great quality to have. He’s going to do very well for himself.
    I cannot wait to see him and I would so but his first album.

16. jacky poweel Says:
    June 6th, 2012 at 1:33 am

JESSICA DESERVED THE TITLE AS SHE WORK EVEN HARDER THAN PHILLIP.. SHE WAS GIVEN DIFFICULT SONGS WHILE PHILLIP WAS GIVEN WITH SONGS OF HIS TUNE.. JESSICA, DESPITE OF HARD SONGS, SANG IT GRACIOUSLY.. remember “my all” by mariah carey? jessica is multitalented.. she deserved it.. but what else can we expect? even my nieces had a crush on phillip because he is good looking guy.. that is whay he won

Comments