America’s Got Talent’s Tim Poe: War Hero or Fraud? Did America Get Had?

June 06, 2012 01:14 PM by Melissa Stavarski

Tim Poe walked onto the America’s Got Talent stage on Monday with a story to rival the saddest of sob stories.  Poe’s sad story and sweet voice won over the America’s Got Talent judges.  America was buzzing about Tim Poe Tuesday morning.  Anyone who watches shows like America’s Got Talent and American Idol knows sad tales sell votes. (Danny Gokey, anyone?) But did America Get Had? Turns out, in Poe’s case, this sad story might be a big fat lie.  Keeping reading for the details and then sound off in the comments.

Tim Poe’s life according to Tim Poe – The war veteran suffered brain damage and developed a stutter after being hit by a rocket-propelled grenade in Afghanistan. As if that isn’t gut wrenching enough, Tim adds, he suffered these injuries because he put himself in the line of fire to help his fellow troops.  Certainly that’s worthy of a Purple Heart.

Amazingly/allegedly, Tim’s singing voice isn’t affected by his stutter.

That’s Tim’s story according to Tim.  However, reports are starting to surface that suggest Poe’s story doesn’t match military records.  A spokesman for the National Guard tells the Associated Press, “We looked very closely at his record.  We did not find something to substantiate what he said.”  Also, there’s no record of Poe earning a Purple Heart.

Adding insult to injury, Poe’s ex-wife claims Poe has neither a stutter nor a sad story to tell.

Thus far, NBC isn’t commenting on the accusations.

What do you think RTVM?  Is Tim Poe a fraud?

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and “like” us on Facebook! For other great Reality TV News, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: America’s Got Talent.

Visit our sister site SheKnows for more breaking news about celebrities and entertainment!

Photo credit: NBC

Topics: America's Got Talent, NBC Reality TV Shows |

13 Responses to “America’s Got Talent’s Tim Poe: War Hero or Fraud? Did America Get Had?”

1. Jeff Hopkins Says:
    June 6th, 2012 at 11:24 pm

It is a shame that he felt he had to possible make up a sob story but he really is talented. I think he should be given a pass on this. I’m not giving a popular viewpoint but still I say give him a break please. I can only wish him the best of luck. I do not want to be too hard on him. Good luck Tim. You have one fan here. Wear those boots proud

2. Cindy R Says:
    June 7th, 2012 at 6:46 am

I don’t think we should give him a break. He’s a liar and he should be ashamed of dishonoring himself and all the true war veterans who really were injured overseas.

3. Mel Says:
    June 7th, 2012 at 7:50 am

I hate saying it though Jeff – there is a federal law called Stolen Valor Act, which makes it a crime to falsify your service to earn valor.

While I do not think that he will be in trouble with this law legally – he didn’t mention earning a Purple Heart (which BTW is a huge red flag – You’d receive one if injured overseas and DEFINITELY for an injury like this), he could – and IMHO should be DQ’d because he is lying about his service.

This is especially true when we’ve seen others on other shows DQ’d for less.

4. Matt Smith Says:
    June 7th, 2012 at 8:08 am

This guy by far does not deserve a pass on this one. I am also a veterean from the Iraq war. He has disrespected not only all veterans that were wounded in action and killed but also the whole U.S military. I hate that he did that. I was really pulling for him. With his talent there was no reason for him to do that. His actions are sickining.

5. Anonymous Says:
    June 7th, 2012 at 10:09 am

Absolutely no way should this be overlooked. This is so disrespectful to the soldiers who actually have injuries like this.

6. Larry Says:
    June 7th, 2012 at 11:11 am

He wasn’t that good. Off key several times. I mentioned this to my family when we watched, and I got booed out of the living room.

7. luis Says:
    June 7th, 2012 at 11:55 am

I lied about about beeing wounded. Thats just about as bad as faking military service. If your currently in the military and lie about something like that you would get in serious trouble. He lied to personal gain and to me shows he does have tallent, tallent to lie.

8. J Neal Says:
    June 7th, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Army Core Values:
    Loyalty
    Duty
    Respect
    Selfless Service
    Honor
    Integrity
    Personal Courage

This guy lacks all of them. At one time his false claims would lead to criminal charges at the federal level.

He needs to be run out of town.

9. kristi Says:
    June 7th, 2012 at 7:48 pm

I KNEW it (I know easy to say now but) when he walked off stage and said how happy he was and Nick Cannon said “WOW you said a whole sentence and didn’t stutter at all”…without the story he was just average. Now, he has his wish. All America knows his name. He’s not famous, he’s notorious

10. JP Says:
    June 7th, 2012 at 9:05 pm

There is no denying the man has definite talent but as veteran it saddens me that he felt the need to disrespect those in uniform. The true heroes who have sustained traumatic injuries and struggle with life everyday. I was moved by the story until I started reading the stories and now I am sickened at the thought of him using the sympathy all Americans have for the wounded soldiers just to win a show when clearly he did not need the story.

11. jim Says:
    June 8th, 2012 at 1:01 am

what sux is that the men and women who were injured (including myself) now have to have people look at us and wonder are we telling the truth for pity….. it is not pity….. i signed a blank check with my life for my country, when i joined and hoped it never got cashed….they tried to deposit it but it bounced……lol and i may not walk very well but i still have an account…. so if the story is not true , he is a disgrace and a coward, but if it is a misunderstanding… GOD BLESS HIM…it will all come in the end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Carolyn Feldman Says:
    June 10th, 2012 at 10:26 pm

He’s on the wrong show….he should be on “America’s Best Bull Shitter” though he’d be bush league during an election year.

13. dan cooper Says:
    February 1st, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Fraud on top of fraud.
    American idol is a fraud when you think about it. If someone paints the mona lisa is that art or fraud? These people are only singing someone else’s work/art. They should call it what it really is. AMERICAN FRAUD

Comments