Basketball Wives’ Shaunie O’Neal Explains That “Ghetto Hot Mess” Comment

June 07, 2012 01:00 PM by Shayla Perry

Some of her co-stars weren’t very happy to hear Executive Producer Shaunie O’Neal referring to them as a “ghetto hot mess” when speaking with her pastor in the season finale of VH1‘s Basketball Wives; namely, Royce Reed. But now, O’Neal is explaining what she really meant, defending her words…and that whole fish prank in Tahiti.

A ghetto hot mess? Is that what Shaunie O’Neal really thinks of her Basketball Wives co-stars? Not exactly.

“I have to be verrry careful with my words because some of these ladies are really my friend, and at the same time, I don’t think I have to say this person’s name or that person’s name, the ones that are my friends and know that I love them know I have their best interests at heart,” O’Neal explains to VH1.

“I don’t mean any individual is a hot ghetto mess, I mean the show in itself,” she continues. “And when I was talking to [my pastor], I was talking about the show. I know we get accused of, ‘Oh, that was just ghetto!’ and that’s what I meant.”

As for her part in hiding the dead fish in Kenya Bell‘s room, Shaunie doesn’t think that it was as bad as it may have come across.

“Honestly, Tahiti was probably the most boring trip we’ve ever taken on the show and there was absolutely nothing to do; we just sat around, it was like Real World, we had mics on almost twenty four hours a day, we don’t normally film like that, but there really was nothing to do there, so we were really like, let’s play a practical joke, and that’s how that happened,” says O’Neal. “I think if we didn’t have the Tami and Kesha fight it probably would have been funnier or maybe more lighthearted than it came out to be, but it was honestly just out of boredom.”

What do you think RTVM: Would the fish prank have been funny if Tami and Kesha’s argument hadn’t put a damper on the trip?

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and “like” us on Facebook! For other great Reality TV News, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: Reality Television and then come and discuss the show on our Reality TV message boards.

Visit our sister site SheKnows for more breaking news about celebrities and entertainment!

Photo courtesy of VH1

Topics: Basketball Wives, VH1 Reality TV Shows |

17 Responses to “Basketball Wives’ Shaunie O’Neal Explains That “Ghetto Hot Mess” Comment”

1. ann e Says:
    June 7th, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Evelyn and Tami are violent bullies,Suzi is a two faced troublemaker…And Shaunie, she is sneaky..She will say one thing to your face,and something else behind your back.

2. ancy Says:
    June 7th, 2012 at 2:38 pm

The fact that shaunie does not admit that the pranking on kenya was immature speaks for itself. It doesnt appear as though Shaunie feels that what her intial friends, Evel and Tam have done anything wrong when truthfully if it had happen to them it would have been WORDL WAR 4. This show is pure trash, I will not be tuning in to next season as this season clearly illustrates the type of women they all are.

3. rho Says:
    June 7th, 2012 at 3:29 pm

STFU Shaunie…

4. Rita Says:
    June 7th, 2012 at 6:48 pm

I think the fish prank would have been real funny if you had played the prank on Susie, or Tami, or Eve or maybe Shaunie.

5. BBC Says:
    June 7th, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Is she serious? She wasn’t playing a joke on a “friend”. She and her partners in crime were bullying someone they all dislike deeply! It wasn’t done in fun for Kenya’s sake… and since when is the destruction of property/vandalism “funny”? What truck stop did she grow up in? What did the hotel have to do to remove that smell from the wood and the rest of the fixtures? She’s too old to try to pass that off as a joke.

6. bbc Says:
    June 7th, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Is she serious? They weren’t playing a joke on a “friend”. She and her partners in crime were bullying someone they all dislike deeply and referred to as “crazy” (or something to that effect)! It wasn’t done in fun for Kenya’s sake… and since when is the destruction of property/vandalism “funny”? What truck stop did she grow up in? What did the hotel have to do to remove that smell from the wood and the rest of the fixtures? She’s too old to try to pass that off as a joke.

7. Velma Says:
    June 8th, 2012 at 5:16 am

Shaunie, get prefessional help. That fish prank was not funny and would not have been under any circumstances. I wish someone would slap your face to wake you up. How about that!

8. Julian Says:
    June 9th, 2012 at 5:02 pm

First of all Shaunie, surely you cannot or do not believe that the fish was really nothing???? What if that had happen to you? What would you have done? And as far as Tami and Kesha, that was just wrong and you stood by and said nothing. I use to have the upmost respect for you, not anymore. Sorry…..

9. Truth Sedd Says:
    June 9th, 2012 at 5:17 pm

If you were only trying to be fish funny, then do it to one of your so-called “friends”, Shami or Evil-in. You don’t do that to someone really not in your circle… one bullied by one of your co-conspirators. Shaunie KNOWS she’d NEVER have the heart to try such a move against one of them unless it was secretly set-up in advance somehow with the fake “victim”. Somebody’s trying to act like they’re stuck in stupid when most of the public is just not buying the self-serving excuses. She needs to come clean and start fresh if possible for her. The public LOVES to forgive when it senses sincerity with no GAMES!

10. realityslayer Says:
    June 10th, 2012 at 9:53 am

the fish incident was not a prank, it was criminal–destruction of property, let alone evil and truly immature and truly ghetto. suppose kenya had been allergic to fish–many people are. if i owned a business establishment,i wouldn’t allow any of these women in (except royce, jennifer, keisha). i don’t care how much $$ vh1 would pay me.

11. alli Says:
    June 10th, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I feel Shaunie is reaching and trying to justify their atrocious, immature behavior. Shaunie you are just as bad as the women because you are an enabler. You sit back and act so shocked when you set up the environment for situations to occur. Don’t try to play us. This is a damage control PR Statement and nothing more. Grow up, raise your kids and come to Christ. Tell that to your trifling cast as well.

12. Connis Says:
    June 11th, 2012 at 7:20 pm

to Evelyn, Tami you both are Very Violent Bullies. and Susie is noone Friend, very 2 faced, Shaunie you are a Leader but you let them act horrible and say nothing , need I say more , very dissapointed in you . you seem to be so Professional I dont understand.

13. cmb Says:
    June 12th, 2012 at 8:47 am

There is no apology that would be good enough for me or my group of friends that watch the show!!!! To Shaunie you are so weak minded to go along with the MEAN GIRLS such as; Tami and Evil-lyn!!Then To Try to make Jenn feel guilty for filing papers on a bully!!! On the Reunion show the three of you look so FAKE!!! My group and I will no longer watch anything pertaining to Tami, Evil-lyn or Shaunie… If everyone stops watching they will take it off the air!!!

14. Mommytb Says:
    June 12th, 2012 at 9:35 am

Shaunie, you are such a lying coward! How do you have so much; and yet still so little. Intelligent adults, who go on a trip, usually read up about the culture and the environment through research, internet, magazine, and by leaving transformed intellectually or at least with an appreciation of land and people there. That was a lame excuse about the fish joke that was not funny. How dare you say that you guys did that because there was nothing to do? Use some of that money and buy a computer to goggle ‘things to do in Tahiti’. I would have loved to see you guys go shopping in Tahiti, do a tour or two, see one of the world’s tallest waterfalls that is more than 980 feet of water cascading down over volcanic cliffs, see Lake Black Water, go to the museum, ride a ferry, experience the local restaurants there, and even attend a festival and other nightlife. That would have easily been a few episodes of entertainment to engage the audience. Wow the audience with things that many of us will never experience. Be proud to bring culture, elegance and class to your viewing audience while conducting yourselves accordingly. I have never been to Tahiti. But I would have loved to share that kind of experience with you ladies. As the leader of these mislead-ladies, you are ‘a ghetto hot mess’! Did any of you wealthy women even bother to clean up that fish mess? Did you even tell the hotel maid staff about it? Did any of you even bother to pay for the vandalized room that smells of rotting fish? You all (who were involved) owe that hotel an apology and a fat check that would cover the damages of vandalism. It is just not funny! What if someone came to your house or place of business, where you make your money, and violated you with raw, dead, rotting sea carcasses? Would it be funny then? How would you feel if your children went somewhere and did the exact same thing? The laws in other countries are not the same. You could have gotten yourself and the entire cast arrested. Do you see why we are still not laughing? Ask your pastor about that?

15. Holly Says:
    June 12th, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Shaunie seems to only defend tammi and Evelyn.
    I used to be a huge fan of Tammi but now all she does is bullie people and the sad part is that she doesn’t want to see it.
    She already forgot how Evelyn used to treat her.
    I will not be watching as long as Shaunie is a hypocrite.
    The only authentic person in this group is Royce and I also like the new comer keisha.

16. Pinkerbelle Says:
    June 13th, 2012 at 11:09 am

Wow!!!! is all I can say @ Mommytb…whew! if Shaunie was 1/4 the mommy this lady is what a different world this would be…. Thanks to you Mommytb for speaking out!!!

17. Mticketdancer Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Mommytb said it best. Shaunie you ought to be ashamed of yourself. Tami has and will always be trouble. She walks around as if she is bipolar with no control over her emotions. Yes, yes, we all realize that she has been violated in so many ways. But come on!!! Are you going to violate everyone else because you were? I’m going to call Tami the “Baglady” because she carries all of her baggage with her everwhere she goes. Tami, let that $%@# go and give it to God!!

Comments