June 08, 2012 01:58 PM by Shayla Perry

It was the slap heard ’round the reality TV world. But now that this season of VH1‘s Basketball Wives is over (and she’s being sued), what does Evelyn Lozada‘s assistant, Nia Crooks have to say about her actions and all the backlash she’s been getting for smacking Jennifer Williams?

Though she isn’t proud of what she did, Nia Crooks doesn’t necessarily think that she was entirely in the wrong for slapping Jennifer Williams in the face on VH1′s Basketball Wives.

“Yeah, they don’t know me and I get that,” Crooks tells VH1 backstage at the Basketball Wives Reunion. “I’m a part of this story, but I’m just a person that walked in a room and sat down and said something to a person and got up and smacked her. So it looks like I’m bullying someone who welcomed the smack.

“She said, ‘I wish you would,’” Nia argues. “She cut the conversation off because she doesn’t want anyone to know who she really is. She’s a total different person outside of this. Being a celebrity is not for everyone, some people’s heads get inflated, some don’t. And if you have new people around you in your life, it’s not the people you’ve been around forever, that says a lot about a person.”

So does she have any regrets?

“I just wish my reaction wouldn’t have been that,” admits Crooks. “I can’t take that back now, but that’s the way I was raised, that’s how I grew up, that’s a normal reaction of mine.”

According to Evelyn, “ever since all the negativity and the lawyers and everything,” Nia has been extremely emotional.

“Nothing can ever prepare you for being in public and having a million people have an opinion about you on a daily basis,” Lozada explains. “She’s just been thrown into this.”

What do you think RTVM: Was Nia “thrown into this,” as Evelyn says, or did she ask for it? What’s your reaction to what Crooks had to say about slapping Jennifer? Is “that’s the way I was raised” a reasonable excuse? Sound off in the Comments section below.

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and “like” us on Facebook! For other great Reality TV News, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: Reality Television and then come and discuss the show on our Reality TV message boards.

Visit our sister site SheKnows for more breaking news about celebrities and entertainment!

Photo courtesy of VH1

Topics: Basketball Wives, VH1 Reality TV Shows |

29 Responses to “Basketball Wives’ Nia Crooks Speaks Out About The Infamous Slap: “I Can’t Take That Back Now””

1. ann e Says:
    June 8th, 2012 at 5:00 pm

That’s how she was raised…She must have been raised in a zoo, Evelyn,Tami also, animals, they all have a stupid excuse for everything.Keep your hands to yourself… Don’t throw drinks,or anything else.Then you won’t have problems…What a bunch of morons!

2. Ebonydiamond Says:
    June 9th, 2012 at 12:11 am

I don’t think Nia Crooks would have slapped Jennifer had she not been edged on to this point by her false friend Evelyn Lozada. You know the saying misery loves company, this reminds me of Everlyn & Tammy. They both have similar highly explosive personalities. They’re suppose to be adults with children, but they set really crummy examples of how to deal with issues. They don’t think before they act. If they really dislike Jennifer as much as they say they do, why do they insist on being around her. It’s the same with Keisha, Royce & the other new lady. They didn’t give them much of a chance to know them before they found something to “hate” about them. So what if they aren’t what you expect in a person. You have of a choice of being around them & relating or not. Why all of the hate & fighting. Is this being done for ratings? It makes nonwhite women look hostile & irrational. I’m a nonwhite woman & I’m appauled with their infantile behavior.

3. Kay Iverson. Says:
    June 9th, 2012 at 5:47 am

Had Nia gotten positive reactions to her immaturity, she likely would have been flaunting that poor choice all over the country. Bottom line is this, Nia handled things “her way” and Jen is handling things “her way!” Stop being hypocritical Shaunie, Evelyn & Tami!

4. Patty Hicks Says:
    June 9th, 2012 at 8:12 am

All of Ms. (and I use that title loosely)Crooks comments are excuses and lies. She saw an opportunity for 15 minutes of fame and “willingly” jumped at the chance. She and the females of the show are opportunists…own it!
    She had a choice and she chose….now deal with the consequences of that choice….

5. star Says:
    June 9th, 2012 at 8:32 am

I really need these people to go away. 15 minutes up
    yet?

6. Tasha Says:
    June 9th, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Yeah! Were I come from when someone is not loyal to you and they pull it. Yeah, I can understand were she is coming from. Especially, it went down the way they said it did. She helped Jennifer! Not
    saying it was this best response, since I have grown, but I understand.

7. Kibbet Says:
    June 9th, 2012 at 4:19 pm

I really believe Nia was influenced by Evelyn`s
    personal problems with Jennifer. It didn`t make sense for her to be so mad and want to hurt Jennifer over someone not talking to you. To get a clear understanding shouldn`t call for cussing
    and getting upset without a resonable cause. She
    was baited to react from someone who knew her better than she knew herself. Maybe this situation
    will teach her about her actions.

8. kcls75 Says:
    June 9th, 2012 at 5:16 pm

would she have slapped tammy? i do not think so. you were not welcomed to slap this lady. my response would have been the same as jen’s. you are the one having problem with fame. instead of being a bridge, yuo became a gap!

9. tammy Says:
    June 9th, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I don’t think that it is an excuse for her behavior, if that is how you were brought up to put your hands on people you parents did a messed up job raising you. When are these women going to grow up and relize that they are grown women and not high school children. Hopefully Nia will pay the price for her behavior thay seems to be the only thing that will amke these ladies understand that they can not and should not put their hands on other people. I agree with Jenifer Why was Nia on the show? She allowed the producers and Shaunie to get her amped up at Jennifer now she has to go to court, in the mean time it just made for good ghetto comedy. If a person no longer wants to be friends with you or they have out grown you why do you keep bothering them, Jen does not care to be your friend any longer move on and get a new friend. Again GROW UP LADIES!!!!!!!

10. Samurai Warrior Says:
    June 10th, 2012 at 1:15 am

I am so tired of people talking about “where I was raised.” Or “back where I’m from they handle situations like this.” I would hope the would have learned after all these years that may not be the best way to handle things. I would hope they strive to evolve, learn, and grow from their past. Stop resulting to violence, bullying and intimidation to get your point across. It’s just childish and doesn’t set a good example for the younger generation.

11. lashai Says:
    June 10th, 2012 at 7:18 am

she’s being sued and her ass deserves it. she wants to use excuses for her actions when there are none she acted like a fool so she getting treated like one. evelyn tellin lies about nya and jennifer’s situation and being caught up with em so why listen to her opinion at this point she mad cuz she got put on blast by jennifer regarding a lie she told so of course her side is to further attempt to excuse nya’s behavior

12. AndOne9d9 Says:
    June 10th, 2012 at 8:04 am

Her excuse is lame. Saying “yeah i wish u would” means that when u do, I got something 4 u and she did. Nia needs 2 grow up, apologize and learn a valuable lesson. This is the real world not some fight at 3 under the big tree. There r repercussions 4 our actions and she has 2 face them, or would she have felt better if Jen hired some1 2 beat her up cuz the streets do things like that as well.

13. realityslayer Says:
    June 10th, 2012 at 9:46 am

The way we were raised is never an excuse or justification to do the wrong thing! Rise above it!!! She was set up by her “boss” and so-called friend Evelyn, and she couldn’t even see it coming. Now she has to face the music, probably ALONE. Grow up, Girl. You can’t put your hands on anyone…

14. Brenda Sampson Says:
    June 10th, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I know alot of people was raised like that but Evelyn pushed her into this. No one desires to be treated the way she and EVELYN Treated her. I a person dont want to be your friend you tell them off and walk away. Their behavior was terrible. This type of action will cause everyone to lose money. that should borther her. They got Shaunie apologizing for their actions. If Any of them try to start a spin off I will not watch. Grow up.

15. melanie Says:
    June 10th, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Eveyone(Nia)can have an explaination of why,who,or what —it takes a mature person to admit that(being raised like that or not) is not a reasonable explaination of ones behavior…admit what you did, and ask yourself…do I want to be known as that type of person…I wouldn’t want to be freinds with someone who would “slap” me because of a disagreement…I wouldn’t want to slap someone just because of a disagreement…what kind of example are we to our children, our partners, our family , our community..do you want to stand before God an say”that’s how I was raised-take it or leave it” hmmmmm

16. Velma Says:
    June 11th, 2012 at 6:37 am

I want to know where in this universe that Nia came from that she does know what, “I wish you would”, means. Give me a break. That meant if you do, you will suffer the consequences. So Nia, now you know what Jen meant. Have you heard the saying, “You can choose your frieds but you can’t choose your family. If she did not want to continue her friendship with you girls, that was her right. And I hope you get a year in jail to think about it.

17. Tutt Says:
    June 11th, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Nia: Everyone on Reality TV is a “different” person away from the camera – that’s the whole point. You portrayed yourself as violent black female trash – an image that is overwhelmingly disgusting to me and most black women struggling in this country to dispel that image of us. How dare you attempt to justify what you did? You turn my stomach – along with the majority of the cast of “Basketball Wives” – it is sickening that this show is even on air. What sets Jennifer apart from you, Tami and Evelyn is that she may or may not be alot of things, but she has the dignity to keep the filth off the air – which – newsflash – is appreciated. Having a forum that puts you or the rest of the cast in the spotlight comes with responsibility – the responsibility of keeping the filthy language and violence off the air!

Tami and Evelyn both have used the term “relevant” on many occasions. What makes any of you think you have the depth or dignity to take the opportunity you’ve been given anywhere but back to the gutter where it belongs? The profanity and violence has guaranteed that most of the cast of “Basketball Wives” are persona non grata to other opportunities – unless you’re counting an irrelevant “interview” or two by black magazines. Other than Royce and Jennifer, the rest of the cast have made fools of themselves. I seriously doubt mainstream producers would touch this cast after the pathetic sham of this show.

It is sickening that you displayed an ugly, jealous, stereotypically violent image of yourself when you had the opportunity to otherwise.

18. Tonia Says:
    June 12th, 2012 at 5:34 am

This is unbelievable! How can a grown woman get up from a table, walk around that table and slap another grown woman in the face, on television at that, and feel like she should be held responsible. Who cares how she was raised? Obviously, she wasn’t raised well to think that this type of behavior is OK. How dare she? And then, during the reunion everyone is trying to urge Jennifer to drop the charges- I wouldn’t! I also think that Kesha should’ve pressed charges on Tami for stealing and going into her purse- and I certainly wouldn’t've asked herfor it. This show is a TRAIN WRECK! Where are the women? These are little Jr. High School children wearing big girl clothes. And they stand as role models to real Jr. High School kids who because of this foolishness think that this is the way to handle your problems. So what somebody’s talking about you? So what you don’t like me? When do the adults show up? I’m done with the show. Shame on them all. They can apologize all they want- Bull-mess! We learn self-control in elementary school!

19. Marie Says:
    June 12th, 2012 at 5:47 am

This is a bunch of bull sh*t! This is show full of bullies, then we wonder why the kids have gotten so bad with it. They’re watching the adults act like they don’t have any sense. Everyone on the show has bullied someone over the passed 4 years. Shaunie (w/ Jennifer & Evelyn) tried it on Gloria. Jennifer’s done it to Ashley. Evelyn’s done to everyone (literally). And Tami’s done it to Kesha. And Suzie instigates it by running back telling everything someone confides in her about. Jennifer is right to press charges but she shouldn’t've stopped there. She should also sue Evelyn for starting it, the show, VH1, Shaunie as the Exec. Prod. and her partners. Look at what happened last season. Tami did the same thing to Meka and Meka filed suit against her. I believe it was dropped and look at Tami this season. She got worse in her interaction with Keisha because she was “talking about her”- so what! Jennifer, don’t drop the suit. Teach them all that adults don’t solve their problems by hitting one another-that’s what a mouth is for- to discuss issues. I think the show should be cancelled! Then we’ll see what kind of skills these lonely self-loathing women have! P.S. The Ocho & Ev show should be cancelled before it starts. America, stop rewarding bad behavior!

20. Mommytb Says:
    June 12th, 2012 at 8:54 am

Nia, I pity you. You are a train wreck. You have no remorse and no class. You were a disgrace to women of color. You should be ashamed of yourself. I hope you go to jail for a year. While you are there, think about “how you were raised”. Was it worth it? I’ll bet you will not run up on any of those women (in jail) sucker-slapping and coping to that lame excuse. For the record, Jennifer did not call you a ‘bum-bitch’. The term was first uttered from Evelyn. Jennifer only parroted the same term after you sucker-slapped her, from behind, while she was still seated. I guess that is how they do it where you come from. You know darn well Jennifer did not ask to be slapped. Do they not have sarcasm where you come from? While you are in jail, who will come to visit you? Who will put money on your ‘books’ for a year? Who will come to your aid? Who will escort you back and forth to court until the verdict is delivered? None of those women that you performed for will bail you out. Will Evelyn save your job until you return? Will she hire an attorney for you? Jail time is the price you pay for “how you were raised”. Remember, “If you can’t do the time, then don’t do the crime”. Shaunie, shame on you for trying to talk Jen out of her right to seek justice after she was violently attacked! What kind of a parent are you? How would you like for your adult daughter to respond if it was her instead of Jen? Jennifer is someone’s daughter too. She is handling this ugliness like a responsible adult. She does not owe Nia an out. You are a crap friend. Stand on right; if you have to stand alone. Tamie absolutely bullied Keisha and shame on you for not acknowledging that too. If anyone is attacked, in any way, call the police! That is what they get paid to deal with. Enough said!

21. Jennifer Says:
    June 12th, 2012 at 11:01 am

I think there is no excuse for a person to put their hands on you, now people now days think it is okay like Nia but its not. Now you have to deal with the consequences for your actions. You are all grown women and truth be told you are all acting like high school girls. I am 25 years old and I have daughters and when I watch BBW I make sure they are in another room. I do not want my daughters to grow up and act like that its stupid and unprofessional. Yea I agree if someone hits you Hit them back but come on now this was nonsense… and I see it a bullying from Nia what kind of message you trying to give to our young community?? Think about that…

22. Dominic Says:
    June 12th, 2012 at 4:33 pm

her excuse is lame, she saw an opportunity to get her whack ass some attention and she took it, nobody knew who she was before this nor did we care, there friendship was never chronicled so why show it now, Evelyn and VH1 screwed her, they just showed evidence of her assault as a third year law student I can pretty much tell you Jen’s case is cut and dry, this bird is gonna do time as she should. #thatisall

23. Shelly Says:
    June 12th, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I think Nia made a bad decision and you have to be held accountable for bad decisions. Now Nia since you were woman enough (or lack thereof) now you have to be woman enough to accept responsibility and whatever comes with it for your actions. I think all of the women are jealous of Jen. I used to like Tammi but now she’s nothing but an immature loudmouth bully in my opinion. Also I think Nia was influenced by bully #2 (Evelyn). I am shocked that Shaunie is a part of this ghetto madness. I like Keisha and Royce. They seem to have more class than any of the rest. That is to include messy mouth Suzy.

24. kim Says:
    June 12th, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Jen I want trust none of them its a set up take her ass to court let her pay for what she did

25. Lesha Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Nia Crooks is getting what she deserves. She had no business putting her hands on Jennifer Williams…I am happy Jennfier slapped her with a lawsuit. That is the right and the adult thing to do. People are messy in other peoples business and need to tend to their own. Shaunie should support right and not wrong. I know if she was slapped…she would do the same thing. Tammie is in therapy for her own issues who is she to advise anyone…she need to STOP. Evelyn you are wrong for creating the mess among Jennfier and Nia. You pumped Nia up to not like Jennifer due to issues you had with Jennifer and know Nia is at the raw end of the stick. How Nia stood her grounds for Evevlyn…Evelyn need to do the same for Nia and help her thru her legal issues she created for Nia. Nia I hope that you can learn to use better judgement.

26. Phyllis Says:
    June 15th, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Basketball Wives is a joke. There doesn’t need to be a season 5. The women who are being fired are the ones who seem to have a life and business about themselves. The ones who are left are malicious, two faced, and backbiters. I truely thought that Shaune had business about herself but she falls in the same category as the others. Tammy is a hood rat, Evelyn is ghetto, Suzie is a SH** stirrer and shaune is a gold digger. If you cannot display a more positive side for the representation of young Black women….then let it go!

27. Camille Mills Says:
    June 16th, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Tammy you are a bully. You only picl on people you can beat. If you continue you will get your ass handed to you. You are jealous of Keisha. Shaunie you and Tammy chose Evelyns side. Evelyn worried about being called a whore yet she screwed Chad OCHOCINCO right on Basketball Wives on their first date. You have not set a good example for your teenage daughter. Shaunie is full of crap too.Evelyn needs therapy along with Tammy.

28. Amber Gantt Says:
    June 18th, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Hell no she wasn’t through into that slap.She wanted to be seen on the show that is all to it.She just want her 15 minutes of fame so she got it so she need to deal with it.I wish she would have slapped me and I wouldn’t press charges because when I would have gotten through beating the hell out of her she would be the one who need to press charges on someone.

29. JayJay Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 7:47 am

Point blank… keep your hands, feet and other objects to yourself. This is a free world, where you are able to say what ever you want without having someone assault you. Nia should be emotional and if I was Jennifer I would not stop the lawsuit. Nia has to learned or should of already know that getting that 15 minutes of fame would of cost her more that she is really to pay. What are you women teaching the children that watch this show?

Comments