Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition Recap: Ashley Loses It On Her 21st

July 08, 2012 11:15 PM by Gina Hall

Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition is back with Chris Powell helping out a young cosmetology student, Ashley, who wants lose half her weight by her big 21st birthday. Ashley’s about 200 pounds overweight. She’s the only big person in her family and she’s kind of the black sheep. Can Chris help Ashley reach her goal?

Chris Powell waits behind some bushes to surprise Ashley at her 20th birthday party. A little creepy, but whatever. Ashley is thrilled. At Ashely’s first weigh-in she tops out at 323 pounds. Time to get losin’. Ashley’s has 60% body fat and Dr. Schaack tells her that’s equivalent to five water-cooler jugs of water.

Ashley’s home has been made over to help her make weight. Chris Powell challenges her to lose 80 pounds. If she does, Chris promises her an apartment with her own gym. Chris has Ashley on a 2-mile hike up to the Hollywood sign.

In addition to adding exercise, Chris makes Ashley to deal with emotional portion of what made her gain weight. Chris sets up a meeting between Ashely and her estranged father to download all her emotional issues regarding him leaving the family. The conversation doesn’t really get anywhere but Ashley seems satisfied to get it off her chest.

Ashely is also facing some issues with her immediate family during Thanksgiving. Ashley’s mom constantly snarks about the exercise equipment consuming electricity and her sisters are bringing junk food back into her life. No one seems to care if she succeeds.

Ashely goes apartment hunting but so far she hasn’t been meeting her goals. If she doesn’t make weight, she won’t get the new apartment. It doesn’t seem like her mom wants her to succeed, in fact her mom’s a real bitch. She screams and unplugs her treadmill while Ashley working out. Ashley moves into a hotel and is actually able to lose weight.

Chris sets a meeting between Ashley and her mom. But mom is still being the villain. Chris says if they can’t come to a truce, Ashley will not be able to lose the weight.

At Ashley’s first weigh-in and Ashley weighs 255. She is 12 pounds shy of her goal so she will not get the apartment AND Chris will be moving out, much to the mother’s delight.

Ashley now has to lose 50 pounds. Chris sets up a meeting with a therapist and Ashley needs it. She has to adapt to her family but not compromise herself. Her mom doesn’t improve, and maybe she’s the one that really needs therapy. Surveillance footage shows Ashley’s mother becoming more verbally abusive.

At Ashley’s 6-month weigh-in and she’s at 217 pounds 12 pounds short of her goal. But no matter, now they’re off to Hawaii. Chris and Ashly take a helicopter to hike up a volcano. But Chris is not joining Ashley. Often called a “walkabout” in Australia , this kind of challenge is meant as a rite of passage. Ashley has just a map to finish the hike. She succeeds and meets with Chris at the top. BUT, the only way to get back down is to zipline!

Ashley flips. She doesn’t think the wire will hold her weight. She’s screams the whole way down.

Back in L.A., Ashley gets some braces and finds she can actually fit her sister’s small sized clothes.

She’s still has some daddy issues to resolve and her dad barely recognizes the new her. Her father says he’s going to change. Ashley’s heard this all before, but maybe this time it’ll stick.

It’s time for a weigh in, 179 pounds! And the doctor tells her she’s an excellent candidate for skin surgery that will make her look more normal after a huge weight loss.

Finally at day 365, everyone meets in Las Vegas for Ashley’s 21st birthday. The goal after was to hit 164 pounds. The final tally is 167 pounds! After one year she’s lost a 156 pounds, a few pounds short of goal but another remarkable transformation!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook!.

Click here for more information about Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition. For other great reality TV news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition.

Topics: ABC Reality TV Shows, Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition |

9 Responses to “Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition Recap: Ashley Loses It On Her 21st”

1. Mary Says:
    July 9th, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I sincerely hope her mother gets NOTHING from her gift card. Did you see her face? She must have said ‘What?’ every time they showed her. She’s such a bitch and I feel for Ashley for having such a horrible person for a mother.

2. Carol Says:
    July 10th, 2012 at 6:01 am

Anyone else notice how unhappy her mother and sister were at her 21st birthday party? I was especially surprised so see the look of shock and disgust on her sisters face at the hosts announcement of Walmart’s 50k gift card. My husband and I were the ones disgusted when you see the surveillance video footage of her mother yelling at her to stop using the machines because they are sucking up so much power, or her family getting pissed when she comments on how junk food is making it back into the house. I also thought the mom was a bit rude for responding to Chris’s announcement that he’s leaving Ashley with “Well that’s good.” I’ve come to the conclusion that her mother may be responsible for not one, but two addictions (Ashley’s father as well). But I think what is obvious is that her mother sabotages the people around her and breaks them down to keep them from succeeding and, thereby, preventing them from leaving. I think Ashley’s not the only one that needed therapy. Thank you Chris for giving her an exit strategy. I truly believe you saved her life.

3. Suzan Says:
    July 10th, 2012 at 8:39 am

I agree that the mother seemed jealous of Ashley’s good fortune. There even seemed to be a slight smile on her face when Ashley did not make her first goal during weigh-in at home. It is a shame, that Ashley had to grow up in a dysfunctional household, but she is all the more stronger because of where she came from. Hopefully she stays strong and doesn’t let either of her parents or family blindside her again.

4. David Benioff Says:
    July 10th, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Really. The shock of Ashley’s mom and sister during the “big prize” was due to the fact that Ashley was a former shoplifter who was arrested by the same store. I am the silent stepfather who would not authorize to be a part of the show or never would. I begged Ashley’s mom not to be a part of the show. She loved her daughter so much and so deeply wanted her at a healthy weight that despite my better advice she became part of the circus of Extreme Makeover with Chris Powell. I am sorry I was ever so accurate. The show purposefully edited and manipulated video and audio to show Ashley’s MOM as “mommie dearest”. Chris never gave Ashley an exit plan out of the house(created), that emanated from Ashley’s friend who she met in Cosmetology school I paid for. Ashley’s issues emanated from the person she sees in the mirror, not her mother(why did four other kids didn’t have weight issues) The bad food was a plant from the show, because I am an ex-personal trainer would not allow bad food in the house. Despite hearing the show was going to portray Ashley’s mom negatively,she stood by her side post-op from plastic surgery. Shame on Chris Powell allowing lies to permeate a show with good intentions, and trashing people at the cost of ratings. My wife would do anything for her kids and I am tired of the lies.

5. Tina Says:
    July 10th, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I watched the show with my mom last week and I noticed the same thing. The mother and sister really disguisted me. I actually think her family was jealous of her achievement. I am so happy that she gained independence and accomplished her goal. It reminded me of Cinderella. Once she was dressed in rags and sweeping the floor, her stepsisters were happy, but the moment the prince fell in love with her, jealously reared it’s ugly head. Ashley is such a beautiful person inside and out, and I really hope that she continues to make heathly decisions. This show really inspired me and I hope that she enjoys her new body and that awesome gift card from Walmart. She worked and hard and she deserved it!

6. Daniel Says:
    July 12th, 2012 at 9:16 am

@David Benioff

Nice to see how much you care about your stepdaughter. Ashley’s life was changed forever for the better. She has a new body, new career, new confidence, new love life, etc…

But no, instead of being happy that the show helped Ashley completely turn her life around all you can do is gripe that they showed your wife being the bitch she is. Yes, I am sure there was editing, but Ashley’s Mom said and did all the things the camera showed her saying.

7. Piglet Says:
    July 17th, 2012 at 9:25 am

Well said Daniel. It’s not about the mom and how she was portrayed. She said those things knowing that the camera was on I can only imagine what she said when she wasn’t being recorded. I have never experienced such selfish behavior and I guess I’m lucky. I wish the best to the whole family I having a feeling they will need it.

8. Jessica Says:
    July 30th, 2012 at 9:57 pm

@David.
    You are a sorry excuse for a human being, as is your wife and your snotty daughters! I am sure Ashley is no angel, but people like you and your family are perfect examples of the reality of emotional abuse. I believe your wife referenced God in the episode and I pray on judgment day, God turns another cheek to her self righteous ass. Your family’s ability to blame everyone but themselves amazes me. How can you even call yourself a man? I am betting the main reason you did not want your pathetic wife on TV is because the truth would be revealed: you are a SICK SICK SICK family and should seek help. But you won’t, because you are weak and afraid of the truth. You could learn a thing or two from your inspirational step daughter if you pulled your head out of your ass. I hope you all have not abused Ashley enough to the point to manipulate her into thinking she needs you in her life. I hope Karma does her duty.

9. Linda O'Neill Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I have lost 120 lbs. Im 5’4″. 158 from 279. I have a pacemaker/difiblator (jan.16,1999). I ve terrible loose skin.I would like to find someone to live the rest of my life out with but wouldnt dar let them see me like this. Im eoo wonderful a person to not have a special male in my life. I have too much to give including a lot of love but this excess sking is stopping me to be the best I can be. Im 64 Dec. of this year, Can you help me? My Drs. say Im ready. Have a blessed life and God bless you all,

Comments