American Idol Panel: Who Should Replace Jennifer Lopez And Steven Tyler?

July 16, 2012 11:05 AM by Lisa Princ

The American Idol judges’ panel shakeup has brought us plenty of big names that could possibly replace Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez, both of whom announced last week that would not be returning to the popular singing competition. J LO even went as far as to name a few big celebrities who she feels would make good choices, but is there anyone who could possibly breathe new life into the show?

Rumor has it that since both Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez stepped down from American Idol, the producers are scrambling to find replacements. Since then, heck, even before then, there were plenty of rumors going around as to who may be stepping in to join the Idol panel. Of those rumored, we heard Charlie Sheen, Aretha Franklin, Fergie, even Idol alum, Adam Lambert, who dismissed those rumors to be just that – rumors.

With stiff competition from both The X Factor and The Voice, American Idol needs to do something to save the show – and soon! As we recently reported, US Weekly claims that Mariah Carey is in talks with the show, but then Nick Cannon came out and made a statement claiming that Idol may not be able to pay his wife enough – ouch! Meanwhile, Jennifer Lopez had her own ideas as she recently revealed that some of the folks who would be a good addition would be: Bono, Jon Bon Jovi, or Mick Jagger.

While any of those three would make a good replacement for Steven Tyler, we can’t help but lean toward Jon Bon Jovi. Why? Well, he has the look, the like-ability, and the success. With hundreds of millions of fans, he could possibly have many of those people tuning in to the show…But would he ever do it? Possibly – can we beg the Idol gods to throw him an offer?

With so many names on the table, we have to ask – who do you think would make a great addition to the American Idol panel? Comment and share your thoughts with us below!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook! Click here for more information about American Idol. For other great reality TV news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: American Idol.

Photo Courtesy: FOX

Topics: American Idol, FOX Reality TV Shows, Jennifer Lopez, Steven Tyler |

38 Responses to “American Idol Panel: Who Should Replace Jennifer Lopez And Steven Tyler?”

1. Ree Says:
    July 16th, 2012 at 11:13 am

Needs younger talent, Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez,Demi Labato, young stars. People want to be entertained. How about a nice comedian.

2. Leslie Says:
    July 16th, 2012 at 11:21 am

If they put charlie sheen as a judge on idol I will not watch it. He has absolutely no reason to be judging people on musical talent.

3. Marsha Vorhis Says:
    July 16th, 2012 at 11:34 am

To be honest, I haven’t watched A.I. since Simon left. If they got an entire new line up of judges ( MINUS RANDY JACKSON ), I just might tune in again.

Here are some suggestions:

Kem Owens ( KEM )

4. david Says:
    July 16th, 2012 at 11:36 am

Judges should be Peter Griffin and Andy Rooney

5. Mary Says:
    July 16th, 2012 at 11:40 am

Cher, Linda Ronstead, Bette Midler. Someone who knows music and has been successful in their own right.

6. doofus Says:
    July 16th, 2012 at 11:45 am

kix brooks! !
    He’s better looking than Tyler and smarter than Lopez!

7. Tammy Says:
    July 16th, 2012 at 11:52 am

Maria and/or Aretha would both be good,maybe bring American Idol back to life and breathe Someone will have to, or it is going to die.

8. Vicky Says:
    July 16th, 2012 at 11:53 am

American Idol definitely needs a new panel. I think Randy should stay but Steven was always the nice guy and that’s not professional and Jennifer didn’t know what was going on, her comments were always the same for everybody. It seems she only wanted to show off, glad she’s no longer in the panel. American Idol needs professionals that are fair, but not cruel.

9. debbieconnor Says:
    July 16th, 2012 at 12:09 pm

BonJovi and Jennifer Hudson

10. kristi Says:
    July 16th, 2012 at 12:09 pm

It’s SO not about the judges. It’s about the contestants. Get judges who are knowledgeable and can string together a REAL compliment “Dude that was dope” is not one. Get someone who can give constructive criticism “that was kinda nasally” and “you were pitchy” are meaningless and LAME. Idol does NOT need big name judges to get people to watch. Just quality contestants and working professionals who can guide the inexperienced talent to and through the process. Who had ever heard of Simon Cowell before Idol? Nobody. Find producers and voice coaches. That’s my 2 cents.

11. deana Says:
    July 16th, 2012 at 12:12 pm

John Bon Jovi and Cher. Or Mariah Carey would be great too…

12. Steve Lawrence Says:
    July 16th, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Who the hell cares. i think all of these shows are one big joke on the american public. I enjoy tv shows from the past so that is what I watch..
    I couldn’t give a rats behind about of any of it. Are you listening out there? These shows are abominations. Bring back good television.

13. idol fan Says:
    July 16th, 2012 at 12:21 pm

They should get Marc Anthony!

14. Georgia McAtee Says:
    July 16th, 2012 at 12:24 pm

i cant understand why you all are making such a fuss out of this, i think i would make a great judge, why not consider me. judging is my thing. call me 313 633 0197

15. kinikia Says:
    July 16th, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Stevie Nicks? I enjoyed her serving as mentor this past season. She seemed to really enjoy being with the singers and gave great tips.

I think Jimmy Iovene (sp?) would be good as a kind of Simon Cowell replacement judge. He had no qualms giving his unvarnished negative opinions after the singers’ performances. The AI audience has become familiar with him and he has tons of experience in the music industry. Jimmy and Stevie would probably have a fun, playful relationship on TV since they have known each other for a long time.

John Mayer? He seems to want to be in the spotlight again and is trying to make up for some of the bad boy comments he made over the past few years. I watched a video of him pretending? to do a TV show (I think) and he was pretty funny. He might be good on the show.

Tommy Lee seems to like being on TV, did a similar show a few years ago called Rockstar. I enjoyed him on the show.

16. romeo Says:
    July 16th, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Kim Kardasnian she is beautiful and I think she will do a great job.

17. AI fan Says:
    July 16th, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Not that I want AI to go country, because that is definitely not my choice of music, but Faith Hill would be a good judge along with the already mentioned Jon Bon Jovi. Could be interesting.

18. Kim Says:
    July 16th, 2012 at 2:53 pm

It would be fun to see a country singer as a judge on American Idol.

19. DJ Says:
    July 16th, 2012 at 2:55 pm

I think that Bsrry Gibb and Cher would be cool.

20. DJ Says:
    July 16th, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Barry Gibb & Cher would be cool.

21. JEANENE Says:
    July 16th, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I think Garth Brooks,Cher,Lisa Marie Presley,or Bono would all be good judges. Please keep Randy Jackson…he isn’t afraid to critizize the contestants when they need it and he also gives them good advice. Jimmy Iovene would be great too.

22. Randy Says:
    July 16th, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Marilyn McCoo. Classic voice, 7 Grammys, very smart and beautiful.

23. sonia Says:
    July 16th, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Barbra Streisand — she might be too big, but she will be a big boost to AI. She is not only a great singer, but she has great reputation and most of all, she is FUNNY! I would also suggest Lea Salonga — not that well-known, but she has a Tony, knows and understands music inside out. She is the right age — she would appeal both to the young and old.

24. Pam Says:
    July 16th, 2012 at 5:36 pm

LITTLE RICHARD would be an excellent judge also ROD STEWART would be an excellent judge. What a great season it would be!!!

25. Jenna W. Says:
    July 16th, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Carrie Underwood, she’s actually talented and knows what its like to go through the whole idol process.

26. Teresa Says:
    July 16th, 2012 at 8:40 pm

This is a no brainer: Gene Simmons should replce Steven Tyler, he will bring honesty with intensity to the show. Please Idol people talk to Simmons. As far as replacment for Lopez, please don’t let it be M Carey.

27. PAM D Says:
    July 16th, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Not a fan of Mariah Carrie…anyone but her would be good.
    Bette Milder would be a good choice, she is spunky and has a great personalty.. I actually like the Judges who are there now.. Why fix it if its nots broken…. Steven Tyler Rocked on the show..

28. Beth Thomas Says:
    July 17th, 2012 at 3:54 am

The contestants need to be judged by seasoned professionals – those who know how hard it is to make it in the music industry and will tell them the truth about their weaknesses and their growth from week to week. I REALLY hope Randy hangs in with the show. Some names I am hearing that really intrigue me as judges who know this business and who won’t waste time acting silly and trying not to hurt the singers’ feelings are Jon Bon Jovi, Stevie Nicks and Aretha Franklin. It also might be time to have a judge from the country music world like Faith Hill or Trace Adkins. But the best choice by far would be Jimmy Iovene. I agreed with everything that man had to say last season. He knows this business and should be in a judge’s chair – no question.

29. Phil Says:
    July 17th, 2012 at 5:17 am

I agree with Pam. Nobody would breathe new life into Idol like Little Richard.

30. the awesome Says:
    July 17th, 2012 at 8:02 am

madonna and wierd al

31. roro Says:
    July 17th, 2012 at 11:08 am

GARTH BROOKS BETTE MIDLER!!!!

32. Michael R. Says:
    July 17th, 2012 at 11:14 am

They should just have me be a judge. No lie I been judging alot of the competition shows at home and I always seem to get it right or close of who the winner will be from the very beginning of the season.

33. LINDA B Says:
    July 17th, 2012 at 11:57 am

I THINK ADAM LAMBERT WOULD BE GREAT AS A JUDGE WHEN THEY HAD HIM ON AS MENTOR, HE ACTUALLY LISTENED TO THE CONTESTANTS, AND GAVE THEM HELPFUL ADVICE. AND HE HAS A NICE PERSONALITY BUT COULD GET THE CLAWS OUT TOO.
    LISA MARIE PRESLEY WOULD BE GOOD FOR THE THIRD SPOT. SHE DOESN’T NEED THE MONEY, CAN SING, AND HAS A SENSE OF HUMOR AND THE MUSICAL PEDIGREE.
    SO MY PICKS ARE ADAM LAMBERT, RANDY JACKSON, AND LISA MARIE PRESLEY

34. LINDA B Says:
    July 17th, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I THINK ADAM LAMBERT, LISA MARIE PRESLEY, AND RANDY JACKSON WOULD MAKE A GOOD TEAM OF JUDGES!!!! I WOULD START WATCHING IT AGAIN!!!

35. Rachel Says:
    July 17th, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I think that someone younge like Joe Jonas, Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez, Demi lavoto, and bet yet Justin Bieber!!!!!

36. Terry Says:
    July 17th, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I think Randy should stay,he is part of Idols foundation. I also think Bon Jovi,would be a excellent choice along with Pink. I think those three would make a great panel,with honest judgeing and less joking and valgarity.

37. Mary Says:
    July 17th, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Ian “Dicko” Dixon
    Bret Michaels
    Sheila E

38. Dotty Says:
    July 17th, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Jon Bon Jovi and Bette Midler. Both have good musical “chops” and the guts to say what they think.

Comments