July 18, 2012 01:00 PM by Lisa Princ

The American Idol judges’ panel is still up in the air after Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez both announced last week that would not be returning to the popular singing competition. Among those named for replacements were Charlie Sheen and Aretha Franklin, but while no one seemed to take them seriously, both of these celebrities have reiterated their interest in a judging spot. Read on to hear what they had to say!

So many names have been thrown our way since Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez stepped down from American Idol, but most of those were nothing more than rumors. Aretha Franklin was one of the first to step up and show her interest, but she was quickly dismissed by the media as being “too old” for a spot. The queen of soul, however, feels she is not too old, and has reiterated her interest in a spot on the show.

In an email sent to CNN, in response to the “too old” comments made by Kathie Lee Gifford, Franklin wrote: “My audience and fans span the age of eight to 90! And are multi-ethnic, and I am very well known to young adults, tweens and teens. Their parents play my music and I take care of my business whenever I sign on the dotted line.” And she didn’t stop there – she reiterated her interest in joining the American Idol judging panel, adding: “I could enjoy being a judge for a season or two. Let’s kick it up a few notches and have a slammin’, jammin’ season.”

Another big name that was thrown into the mix recently was former Two And A Half Men star, Charlie Sheen, and while it may have been a joke on the part of Nigel Lythgoe, Sheen is now taking it seriously. Charlie made a radio call in to Ryan Seacrest recently, where he explained how it started: “It kind of came out of nowhere and I responded with a quote, just to sort of check the temperature of it or test the waters. Haven’t heard anything back. I guess it got some people curious.” Sheen went on to chat with Ryan Seacrest, and then revealed that he has a serious interest in the show: “It seems so out of the blue that it almost made perfect sense. I thought this could be a lot of fun. Seriously, tell him (Nigel Lythgoe) I’m genuinely interested. It’s so different, it could be radical.”

With so many names on the table, we have to ask – who do you think would make a great addition to the American Idol panel? Comment and share your thoughts with us below!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook! Click here for more information about American Idol. For other great reality TV news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: American Idol.

Photo Courtesy: FOX

Topics: American Idol, FOX Reality TV Shows |

7 Responses to “American Idol Panel Update: Charlie Sheen And Aretha Franklin Reiterate Their Interest”

1. Jenn Says:
    July 18th, 2012 at 1:52 pm

They will be the best american idol judges because they are both crazy, and at least one of them knows about music!

2. Joella Leavell Says:
    July 18th, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Simon, Charlie Sheen should not be considered for American Idol and Aretha Franklin is good for her opinions/knowledge, but she does’nt have the look or fit. I have watched the show from the beginning…. Beyonce is a good choice, and there should be a chair open for guest, such as myself and,it would cost you much less for a true and honest opinion. Call me at 248.904.3554 e-mail, and/or mail PO Box 252861, West Bloomfield, MI 48325. Look forward to hearing from you!

3. Jane Robtoy Says:
    July 19th, 2012 at 6:20 am

This is suppose to be a show finding talent. Not what judge will be glamourized. Honest judges that can judge talent needs to be the answer. And please, find some talent that has not had a recording before or contract or is picked by the network. Plain unfound raw talent. Otherwise the show is fixed and it has run it’s course. Everyone wants to see the little guy have a chance and it would make good tv.

4. Karen Caldwell Says:
    July 19th, 2012 at 7:36 am

I would love to see Harry Connick Jr. as a judge.

I’ve heard rumors that Adam Lambert is being considered. I thought it was wrong to have him as a mentor and it would be worse to have him as a judge. I would stop watching if that happened.

5. gier Says:
    July 19th, 2012 at 2:47 pm

MY GOD HELP,PLEASE I JUST HOPE, THE AMERICAN IDOL BOSSES WILL PICK UP THOSE PEOPLE THAT ARE SUITED FOR THE YOUNGER HOPEFUL TALENT,PLEASE DON’TPICK JUDGES THAT MIGHT RECOIL IF THE CONTESTANT ARE NOT TO THEIR LIKING OR WHATEVER,ALSO THOSE JUDGES THAT MIGHT GIVE TROUBLE IN THE PROCESS BEACAUSE AMERICAN IDOL DOESN’T ANY TROUBLE ANYMORE. WHAT IT NEED IS TO BE ON THE VERY TOP AGAIN.GOOD LUCK HUNTING!

6. Kevin Says:
    July 19th, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Aretha Franklin and Charlie Sheen? The show would die immediately. Neither would be a good fit.

7. Mike Says: