Big Brother 14 Recap: Coaches Enter The Game As Worst Season Ever Continues

August 02, 2012 07:37 PM by Ryan Haidet

What I think is the worst twist in Big Brother history just got a whole lot worse.  As we’ve been expecting for weeks in a game that’s supposed to unleash the unexpected, the four coaches in the house entered the game as full players.  That non-jaw-dropping twist means America’s vote shows that viewers think it’s fair for these veterans to compete for the top $500,000 prize after a month of 100 percent safety.  What a joke.  I think America should have had the option to vote all four judges out instead of in.  That would have rid us of this absolutely ridiculous twist that has made the show so undesirably unfair it’s hard to believe.  Expect the unexpected?  Nah.  We all saw this one coming from a mile away.  But there were more twists tied to this vote, which we didn’t know about until host Julie Chen announced them near the end of the episode.  Read on to find out everything that happened in this dreadful episode in what I think is the worst season ever!

Eviction Canceled

Let’s just cut to the chase.  Neither Frank nor Joe were evicted in tonight’s live episode.  Instead, they were given safety as a result of the coaches entering the game, which would only happen if one of the four of them pushed a reset button in the Diary Room.  If the game was officially reset and the coaches entered the game, there would be no eviction.  Had all four of them decided to stay in the house as coaches it would mean some former houseguests would be returning to compete after Frank or Joe was sent packing.  This was clearly all an attempt for CBS to add contestants back into their quickly disappearing cast from this lame-o season.

Britney was the first coach, if you can even call her one, who entered the Diary Room to face the reset button.  Surprise!  She pushed it.  And with that, the game was reset.  Well, duh.  We then had to sit through the torture as the three other judges made their decision to push the reset button, which Dan and Janelle both happily did.  Boogie, however, brought gasps from the studio audience when he chose not to push the button in hopes he would stay a coach.  Those gasps say it all.  The fact that the live audience was shocked he said no to wanting to enter the game proves that everybody in America expected them to return to the game.  It was a given.

It’s foolish for CBS to even believe there wouldn’t be at least one of these four type-A personalities to push that button.  Get real.  This was so insulting to even watch.  It was all done to unnecessarily stretch out their poor attempt to manufacture drama.  I mean, really.  Allison Grodner and the rest of the producers should really take a look at how much of a slap in the face this season has been to the true fans.  I’ve watched every season of Big Brother.  Every episode.  And I can honestly say that tonight’s episode would be the final one for me this summer.  The only reason I’ll still be watching is because I have to cover it.  That’s it.  That’s all.  I truly can’t believe there is any hardcore fan out there — not a single one — who enjoys how this season has been playing out.  Go ahead and tell me I’m overreacting.  Call me a baby.  Call me whiny.  I don’t really care.  This is so insanely frustrating to watch anymore.  To give four people a free pass for several weeks is definitely unfair.  There are those of you out there who will tell me I’m crazy because reality television isn’t fair.  That’s fine.  Go ahead and make your case.  But to let these players slide by completely free with so much decision-making power during those weeks of absolute immunity is just so sad to watch.  Plus, it’s not fun to watch.  Would you like it if you were a new player?  I doubt it.

Just Plain Silly

With Frank and Joe both spared from eviction because of this dumb coach twist, everything we’ve watched this entire week was for absolutely nothing.  Zip.  Zilch.  It literally was a waste of time to even sit down and give up an hour to watch Sunday or Wednesday night’s episodes because it was all for nothing.  All of the drama stirred up in an effort to backdoor Frank was thrown away.  The only positive thing was that Shane’s goal of having an all-powerful week as Head of Household was also crushed since he didn’t take out anybody.  His HoH reign was absolutely worthless.  All his actions did with backstabbing Frank and Boogie was put blood on his hands and create new enemies in the game.  That was the only positive element from tonight.  Maybe it squished his ego a tad and made him a bigger target.  Well, I guess it was also pretty neat to learn Frank’s dad is actually famed wrestler Sid Vicious.

There was some new drama between Janelle and Wil also mixed into the hour.  It was all because Janelle basically told Wil she was the reason he has been saved from being nominated.  He took it as an insult that she would call him out for being a worthless player.  Sorry, Wil.  Up to this point, it has been true — at least from what we’ve seen on the show.

An Endurance Battle

The episode came to a close with the houseguests all battling it out for the power of HoH by standing above a pool of water on a plank so tiny that the toes of their shoes were hanging over the edge.  And as tonight’s episode proved, expected the unexpected was alive and well as the wall they were leaning on started tilting back and forth and phony rain started pouring from the sky.

The only thing I took away from tonight is that BB has totally stale.  It has run its course that producers are desperately trying to mix things up in ways that don’t work.  What a disappointment.

What did you think of tonight’s episode?  Do you think it’s fair for the coaches to enter the game after having a full month of safety?  Do you find this season entertaining or insulting as a fan?  Am I way off base in my critique of the show or do you agree with me?  Let us know your thoughts by leaving a comment below!  I can’t wait to hear what you all think of this season after tonight.

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook!. Click here for more information about Big Brother. For other great reality TV news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: Big Brother 14.

Photos courtesy of CBS.

Topics: Big Brother, CBS Reality TV Shows |

15 Responses to “Big Brother 14 Recap: Coaches Enter The Game As Worst Season Ever Continues”

1. Shellyl1107 Says:
    August 3rd, 2012 at 6:00 am

I totally agree, as a true fan I am pissed, our vote didn’t matter, I am canceling my live feeds because it is no longer reality tv. This is what it brother has become in the past couple of years. They only care about the veterans. I can’t even call the all stars at this point. Yes ai love Dan, janelle, Boogie, and even Britteny but they have had their chance. This cast stinks and I believe it is because most great people won’t even compete to come on the show because the fix is in. Why give up your time to go to a fake audition. If you don’t know someone you won’t get on the show anyway. Very few people actually sneak thru the audition process. Come on a playboy model is connected, Sid vicious’s son is connected, Mr. Cosmo is connected, Willie Hantz is connected. joe may even have connections because of his cooking talent, Dani is a beauty queen. Okay so Ian, Will, Jodi, Jojo put their for real reasons maybe but even I think it’s suspicious and I have blindly followed big brother for 14 seasons. So sick of all of this and ai will not e giving up anymore of my time to this crap.

2. Mike Says:
    August 3rd, 2012 at 6:45 am

The whole thing last night was a freaking joke. Either America never even voted and the producers have been planning this all along, or who ever voted is an idiot. For the most part those “Coaches” have already lost, some more than once, they don’t belong there. This B_ _ _ S _ _ _ _ of these people coming back season after season is stupid. I will now watch something else on Wed, Thurs and Sunday then this farce.

3. Jarrie Says:
    August 3rd, 2012 at 6:51 am

Well do you think it’s fair that most of the jury will be newbies? so coaches most likely will not win if they’re next to a newbie.

4. chancey pray Says:
    August 3rd, 2012 at 8:43 am

wow what a huge twist up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Justin N. Says:
    August 3rd, 2012 at 10:32 am

Finally some people who agree with me (unlike the cherry picked tweets CBS aired during the show – “Wow, what a surprising twist!”, “Yay! Frank is safe another week”, or ridiculous comments like that).
    This latest episode (and entire season for that matter) is total BS. The whole idea of “coaches” was stupid to begin with and anybody who can count past 11 knew the coaches would be coming into the game at some point, especially when they evicted Jodi the first night (the luckiest cast member in my opinion because she does not have to endure this tortuous season).
    I can’t believe any of “the greatest players to ever play the game” would even agree to come on the show as “coaches”. Why would any of these “type A” players choose to give up their summer for a 1 in 4 chance at $100K when they could go for the full $500K? If they had any brains at all, they had to know they would be coming into the game as players at some point (as Brittney seemed to figure out).
    OK, so the coaches idea was stupid… I can understand that CBS is trying to come up with a new twist on a show concept that is rapidly becoming stale. But this one was completely worthless (like much of the casting) and worst of all, completely unfair and “insulting” to anyone watching or participating in the show.
    We all knew that the coaches would come in at some point, but to give the viewers the “illusion” that they actually had a choice in the matter? Come on, please! This was predetermined well before the first episode aired. The fact that they set it up in a way that if any one of the coaches decided to join the game, they ALL had to join the game also added to the “chance” that this would happen. It would have to be unanimous that all 4 egotistical coaches would ALL decide NOT to join the game for it not to happen. Plus you add in the threat of “some other pre-evicted house guests (who may or may not have been burned by the coaches current players) will come back into the house” without explaining who and how this will be determined and then give the coaches all of 30 seconds to make up their mind… what do you think will happen? Of COURSE at least ONE of the coaches would hit the stupid “reset button”.
    To top it all off, they pull this crap right before the elimination thus making Shane’s reign as HoH, POV win, nominations and the only halfway ballsy move of the season to get the one player of any worth at all out of the game totally moot. Hell, the entire WEEK was a complete waste and did nothing except get Shane to burn bridges and get screwed by not being able to “bounce a check” in the Big Brother House (to quote Boogie). I’m no big fan of Shane, but at least someone was FINALLY going to do SOMETHING with some sort of strategic value!
    Personally I think the producers saw the possibility of the only worthwhile player in the game being evicted and scheduled the whole negation of the elimination think to keep him in the house. If I was Shane, I would have had a melt down on live TV claiming Bulls*** and walked off the show. For a moment, I thought Boogie was going to do something like that… he seemed pissed!
    The way the puppet masters… er, producers are running this show, I halfway expect the final two players to grab handfuls of Nightlock Berries and threaten to eat them at the live finally (ala “Hunger Games”) in protest.
    And while I’m at it, what is with the casting these days? I noticed this in Survivor last season too…
    It seems like CBS will cast maybe3 or 4 halfway decent players and then the rest of them will be idiots, knuckleheads, mindless puppets, big breasted beauties, or Calvin Klein underwear models. I mean seriously? Most of the cast is completely worthless and don’t have a full brain between them. Brittney’s impersonation of JoJo and her “I know, I know…” when she really didn’t know anything summed this up perfectly.
    The only player of any real worth is Frank. He is the only player to be able to think for himself, come up with a strategy (or at least realize he has to have one) and can compete at challenges. What boggles my mind is why everybody in the house keeps saying “I want to work with you…” when they should be saying “WE GOTTA GET THIS GUY OUTTA HERE!” I think Boogie voted against the “reset” because he realizes his best chance to walk away with any money at all is to stay Frank’s coach… because even he knows that if he becomes a player, he will lose out to Frank in the end.
    This show has jumped the shark and their latest idiotic twist even seemed to make Julie Chen uncomfortable with its stupidity. I felt so bad for her as she tried to explain the situation with fake excitement and emotion.
    I’d like to hit the “RESET” button on this entire season and get the last few weeks of my life back. But since I can’t do that, I’d better just cut my losses and delete BB from my TiVo season pass. BB is total BS

6. Justin N. Says:
    August 3rd, 2012 at 10:34 am

Best summary and recap EVER Ryan, couldn’t agree more!

7. carole beiswanger Says:
    August 3rd, 2012 at 11:31 am

worst decsion to bring the coaches into the game. where dd you find people to vote yes? or wasthere a vote.

8. Paul Jones Says:
    August 3rd, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I’ve been a fan of Big Brother since the beginning, but now after last nites show, I’ll never watch this show again. The coach’s should have stayed as coache’s, and not allowed to enter the game. Just who was America who voted for this. What was the vote? Now, Dan says its tyme to play the game, well what the heck was he doing their all summer long? He’s a terrible coach. Brittney is so greedy, she was the first one to push the replay button. I hope Brittney is the next one to be voted off!, Then Dan and Janelle.
    But not Buggy Mike, because he voted to stay a coach and he wasn’t greedy like the pther so-called coach’s.

9. Paul L Says:
    August 4th, 2012 at 3:14 pm

i so agree with all of you and Justin N. pretty much said what ive said this show is so no longer something we the viewers have any control of. they already made thier decision and the coaches knew it. the coaches will ban togother and take Danielle with them who will do what ever Dan wants. she wanted janelle out so bad that thursday nites after dark but by fridays after dark Dan had convenced her to put up two of the only three players who have any chance of winning an hoh and putting the coaches up. the coaches will be unstopable using danielle before leading her like a lamb to slaughter just like last season. i will give the show another week and see how things play out but if the coaches dont go out and soon this will be the last big brother i watch which is a shame as i have enjoyed it since the begining and looked forward to it every sommer that is untill season 12 and 13 and the B**** Rachiel a horrable human being. survivor and the amazing race are getting to be the same way. where are there any good new reality shows not singing and dating shows thats all over the airways now days. oh! the good ol days of old.

10. paul Laumeyer Says:
    August 4th, 2012 at 3:22 pm

i so agree with what you all said big brother has been steadly going down hill since season 12 and if the players dont wise up this week and start getting the coaches out(doutfull) then i am done with big brother this year and mabey for ever. as a fan of bb survivor and amazing race since thier first seasons they all have been steadly been going down hill in the last few years. who in their right mind would ever want to be subjected to people like the horrable and evil Rachael not once but two seasons and would have until she won of had enough(for her never happen). how about no more Hanzes on reality or any other tv for the rest of our lives. we voted but they already had made the decision to bring them into the game before it started. shame on u bb.

11. paul laumeyer Says:
    August 4th, 2012 at 3:25 pm

i so agree with what all of you are saying we no longer if ever have a say what happens with anything on reality tv its been already decided before the season even airs.

12. Mariamqwert Says:
    August 5th, 2012 at 3:17 am

SUCH A PISS OFF! “America voted yes” MY ASS!
    The majority of the people were all saying NO!
    How fair is it for the coaches to just sit on their asses for weeks without leaving!
    I’m just so… frustrated.
    I was SO excited!
    Someone had the guts to make such a ballsy move that no one else would do so early in the game … & they take that away… -_-
    I’m done. I’m not watching this anymore.
    So pathetic.
    So happy Dr. Will didn’t play this season… his reputation would’ve been damaged.

13. Lia Says:
    August 5th, 2012 at 9:07 am

Yeah you’re whining too much. Just report the situation and leave it at that. I’ve been watching BB since season one too, and I will never turn my back on it, because the show is still great. I could use a season of regular players like everyone is saying, but we didn’t get one, so get over it. I’m enjoying the people who are there, and the strategy is still good. People say Willie’s eviction ruined the game, but it didn’t, because I hardly remember that he was there. The coaches haven’t ruined it for me either, because Dan and Boogie are masters of manipulatinon, and I’m getting a kick out of watching them make the newbies move for them. Right now they want to backdoor Janelle, and I am definitely going to stick around for that one, cause I know CBS will find a way to bring her back to wreak havoc on the people who set her up.

14. vesavage@hotmail.com Says:
    August 10th, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Hate this year can’t like anyone and hate hate hate Boogie. I have never missed an episode in 14 seasons. I’ve never missed a minute of after dark. If choose not to get the live feeds because it looks like a bad season, I read every thing I can on line. After last nights show, I’m done this year! Jani was the only person that was fun to watch. I think Big brother needs a new casting director. I have tried to like at least one of these characters. They ALL make me I’ll! Can’t watch anymore. Maybe this will kill my addiction to BB and I’ll be done with them for good. I have never stopped watching an episode. I even watched all of season 9, even though it was a train wreck . I liked some of the cast. So goodby Big Brother I’m sad you were so bad this year!

15. Annonomous Says:
    September 26th, 2013 at 1:06 am

What are you guys talking about?! This is a GREAT twist!!

Comments