Jordin Sparks Dishes On Whitney Houston As ‘Sparkle’ Makes Its Debut

August 18, 2012 09:14 AM by Lisa Princ

Friends and family of the late and great Whitney Houston gathered yesterday to celebrate the debut of the legendary singer’s final film, Sparkle, which also stars American Idol‘s own Jordin Sparks. As Sparkle hit the screens, Jordin Sparks had nothing but wonderful things to say about working with her very own idol!

Winning American Idol may have been a dream come true for Jordin Sparks, but the 22-year-old also had another one of her dreams fulfilled as she co-starred in the new film, Sparkle, with her very own idol, Whitney Houston. As the musical debuted, Jordin Sparks joined the other cast members yesterday, as well as Whitney’s family and friends to celebrate Whitney’s last film.

So, what was it like working with such a superstar as Whitney Houston? For Jordin Sparks, it was nothing short of amazing. “You hear stories of people meeting their idols and it not going so well. I got so lucky because it was everything I ever dreamed of and more,” Jordin recently explained to the media.

Sparks went on to say that she and Houston bonded almost immediately during filming, and she assured fans that they will definitely see that chemistry come through in Sparkle. “She really set the tone for the day. She was such a light. In 20 years when I’m talking about my first film I can say it was a lead role in a film with the legendary Whitney Houston,” Jordin continued to gush of Houston.

Before the premiere screening yesterday, Whitney Houston’s sister-in-law, Pat, spoke to the crowd: “I can assure you that Whitney is here celebrating right now. She would have been so humbled,” while Whitney’s daughter, Bobbi Kristina, gushed about how proud she was of her mother. Also in attendance was Houston’s ex-boyfriend, Ray J, who said he was “touched” to be able to celebrate the film.

Are you planning to check out Sparkle? Comment and share your thoughts with us below!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook! Click here for more information about American Idol. For other great reality TV news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: American Idol.

Photo Courtesy: FOX

Topics: American Idol, Being Bobby Brown, Bravo Reality TV Shows, FOX Reality TV Shows, Jordin Sparks |

10 Responses to “Jordin Sparks Dishes On Whitney Houston As ‘Sparkle’ Makes Its Debut”

1. Melvin Says:
    August 18th, 2012 at 11:19 am

I most definately will be there and can’t stop thinking about my Whitney. She is a legend in her own time. Always Love U………….1963

2. Audrey Says:
    August 18th, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Iloved THE MOVIE SPARKLE.IT WAS SOOOOOOOO WHITNEY.SHE WAS ALL OVER IT.

3. Willmar Says:
    August 18th, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I’m definitely planning on seeing “Sparkle”:great cast, great music and the one and only Ms Whitney Houston who is gone but will never be forgotten.

4. BLGreene Says:
    August 18th, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Whitney was outstanding. The movie is a hit!!!!!!!!!!!! Miss her dearly; but we shall all be free someday!

5. Gwen Says:
    August 19th, 2012 at 1:18 am

Will definately be going to check out Sparkle. I absolutely love Whitney and I am so looking forward to seeing her in her final Glory. Long live Whitney.

6. Belinda Hubbard Says:
    August 19th, 2012 at 4:41 am

Yes, She was a legend beautiful women. She will be miss.And good luck to Jordin

7. JR Smith Says:
    August 19th, 2012 at 11:21 am

Saw the film and was very impressed from every angle. Jordin was incredible. Her acting ability and her singing brought the theatre to a final frenzy. Great show.

8. Sandy Says:
    August 19th, 2012 at 11:47 am

WHITNEY HOUSTON, I WILL FOREVER REMEMBER YOU, WHEN TIMES GOT HARD I RAN ACROSS YOUR SONG, “THE GREATEST LOVE OF ALL” YOU WERE TALKING SINGING ABOUT CHILDREN, I WAS GOING THROUGH A DIVORCE SEEING HOW IT WAS HURTING MY CHILDREN AND EVERYTIME I LISTEN TO THAT SONG I CRY, BECAUSE I SEE HOW MUCH DIVORCES HURT CHILDREN, BUT THIS SONG YOU SONG HELPED THEM SO MUCH AND ME AS WELL! WHITNEY I WILL FOREVER THANK YOU SO MUCH, AND I WISHED SO MUCH THAT I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN IN CONTACT WITH YOU AND WISHED THAT I WOULD HAVE LET YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THAT YOU HAVE HELPED THIS WORLD AS WELL! I CAN’T DO IT NOW, BUT I SURE WILL GET IN CONTACT WITH THE HOUSTON FAMILY TO LET THEM KNOW HOU MUCH WE APPRECIATE YOU AND THEM!!!! LOVE YOU SO MUCH AND THE HOUSTON FAMILY

9. Leisa Says:
    August 19th, 2012 at 1:04 pm

We saw the film opening night and it was OUTSTANDING!!! It’s easily a “MUST SEE AGAIN”. The film was very surreal in that it seemed prophetic to her own life and unfortunate death. Though tragic as her death was, I believe this film will cause us to remember her for her infectious “Sparkle”. God bless and keep you Houston family. Thank you very much for allowing us to hear the gift you loved so dearly.

10. alani Says:
    August 19th, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I saw the movie and it was excellent. The entire cast shined as far as I am concerned. I could not believe the role Mike Epps played, he was very convincing. It was good to see that it was not exactly like the original film but took creative license. Kudos to the Writers, Directors, Producer, and all of the creative staff. I laughed and cried throughout the movie A+++.

Comments