Breaking Amish: TLC Will Show Two Part Special To Explain Deception

October 29, 2012 12:00 PM by Megan Wilson

Just a few weeks ago we dished to you all the gory details that the Breaking Amish producers didn’t want anyone to know.  They obviously have received enough criticism from fans to address the issues, and have planned a two part reunion special set to air in November.  There are a few clips surfacing that show the Breaking Amish crew hinting at answering a few of our burning questions.

When the show originally aired, TLC claimed that the five cast members were SUPPOSEDLY making a break for it and fleeing the Amish life to New York.  We were all under the assumption that these people had just recently left the Amish; that they were discovering New York and the modern world for what we thought was the first time.  Unfortunately, there have been quite a few dissidents emerging claiming they’ve known the stars prior to filming, and that the whole shebang is staged.  Photos have surfaced of Abe and Rebecca holding a child we presume they share; this photo also shows Rebecca with her natural teeth, so it is definitely before filming occurred.  We also found an arrest record for Abe, where he was arrested in Kentucky for being drunk in public.  Marriage records also show Rebecca being married to someone other than Abe until 2011.

Jeremiah’s past is is also a mess, with domestic issues, divorce, and child support skeletons lurking in his closet.  Even his ex-wife spoke out about the drama between her and  Jeremiah, saying “The kids and I suffered for years at the hands of this man,” she said, “We went through multiple things.” and later went so far as to say “This show is completely fake.”  We shall see what happens at the reunion with Jeremiah!

It seems that there’s even more to Sabrina than we thought-it turns out she was already married, and she’s no stranger to TV-she appeared on the Discovery Documentary, “Amish at the Altar”.

Frankly, I think ALL fans are excited to hear at least a part of what we hope is the truth.  It’s obvious that they had a hard time finding real Amish people to agree to be filmed leaving the Amish, but I think everyone has realized that this show is faker than we’d all originally imagined, and it’s only fair that TLC gives us at least a little explanation!

The two part special will air Sunday, Nov. 11 and Sunday, Nov 18th at 10 p.m. ET on TLC.

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook!. Click here for more information about Breaking Amish. For other great reality TV news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: Reality TV.

Photo Credit: TLC

Topics: Breaking Amish, TLC Reality TV Shows |

33 Responses to “Breaking Amish: TLC Will Show Two Part Special To Explain Deception”

1. RLJ Says:
    November 1st, 2012 at 6:10 pm

IF YOU LOOK BACK ALL THE VULGAR LANGUAGE, THE MAKEUP BEFORE NYC AND THE HAIR COLOR ON REBECCA IF THEY WERE NEW BREAK AWAY FROM THE AMISH, WHERE
    DID ALL THIS COME FROM. I THOUGHT THIS FROM THE START, IT WAS STAGED. SO SAD THEY HAVE TO TRY AND FOOL PEOPLE

2. debbie mcgruder Says:
    November 6th, 2012 at 11:36 am

I thought things seemed a little strange.I mean come on it doesn`t take a high school diploma to see a lot of this is fake.

3. Shirley McNaughton Says:
    November 7th, 2012 at 10:22 am

I think they all went wild too soon and must have had some Amish fears with the English but they all seem to have accepted the English world too quickly.

4. Dis Gruntled Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 6:43 pm

This could have been a very interesting and informative show about the Amish/ Mennonite religions and the difficulties of growing up within a closed community. It’s major rip off, instead of seeing clean wholesome innocent people trying to find a niche between their world and the English… we see 5 people who are, and have been ripping off the systems they pretend to be linked to.
    It’s as unpleasant as discovering that the Amish are major Puppy Mill producers in disgusting conditions… and often drive their older carriage horses to the auction at New Holland (etc)suffering from malnutrition and other lack of care… and pick up a newer model to drive back home… Many of the abandoned horses either end up in rescues or go directly to the slaughter houses to have a bolt shot into their head.
    Dump Breaking Amish… instead perhaps cover the rescue attempts to save horses/pony/mules from slaughter.

5. Lynn Moore Says:
    November 15th, 2012 at 7:05 am

Breaking Amish does leave a lot to be desired. It is amazing, how five supposedly religious young people have such a large vocabulary for cursing. By the end of the series I had strong doubts that this was not scripted. If it were real, I feel that no matter what religion you are, as human beings you have the right to take a sabatical from your faith to see just what it out there esp. for people such as the Amish and Mennonites, who are so controlled by their church to not be able to go and see just what the world is about and maybe just to better oneself when it comes to obtaining a job other that just farming and having children. The Amish and Mennonites are not the only church that has “rules and regulations” in order to control people. I don’t feel that it is right for any religion to tell you that you must shun your children just for stepping away from the church in order to check things out, and then for the church to tell the families that they must not contact their children again. I do not feel that God or Jesus, or whomever you believe in has the right to tell you to chose church over ones own children, I know I would never do that. And since I am on the topic of religions, I feel that it is dispicible for a religion to preach that a wife MUST give into her husband’s sexual desire even if she does not want to, that is no different from rape, and this is what the Roman Catholic church tries to brainwash its parisheners to do. The Catholic church believes that women are below men and must obey them, just look at the nuns. I refuse to continue with this choice that I have made, yes choice, because it is totally wrong. I cannot and will not believe that this is what God and Jesus is all about. As long as you believe in the Golden Rule, “Do unto others as you would want them to do” is by all means all that one needs to learn, after all this is just a belief.

6. Richelle Says:
    November 16th, 2012 at 4:15 pm

OMG! Reality TV is fake? I’m shocked! What’s next? We find out that the Kardashian’s are just a bunch of painted up phoneys?

7. amber Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 2:54 pm

After watching all episodes and the 2-part reunion, I feel duped. TLC should have done more research, or maybe they did and thought no one would catch all of the misrepresentation. Yes, the filthy language as well as the word, “like” used a million times should have been a giveaway that these people were not living an isolated Amish lifestyle. Rebecca and Abe and Jeremiah were downright hateful and rude to the host of the reunion. they are obvious liars so they hide behind the pretense of protecting her daughter. Sabrina is a little more honest. The wanna be model with the DUI is the most decent one of them all. What a racket.

8. wendy Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 9:32 pm

wow…..i really enjoyed the show,,but if these people are so pias,,where did they learn such filthy language,,,there was way too much cussing for these young people who were supposedly sheltered from the english world,,,and watching the 2 part episode,,yes i do believe abe is the father of rebecca’s daughter,even thought they denied it,,,,,i wish all of them the best in their future,,,i really hope kate realizes her dream of becoming a model in new york city

9. Hailey Says:
    November 29th, 2012 at 8:11 am

I was disappointed to learn this reality show was mostly fake. Although most reality shows are probably staged to a certain extent (they have a director), I think it was probably more deliberate on the part of the cast then TLC. However, TLC should have done their homework. They set this show up to look like these were naive Amish young people, turning their backs on their communities for the first time and how hard it must have been for them. Then we find out on the show, they swear (& all except for Rebecca, drink) like sailors, three were divorced or soon to be and all have colorful pasts. Hardly the unworldly individuals one expects to see coming from the Amish culture.

One example that this show was staged: TLC focused on the cast buying and wearing English clothes and they acted as if they had never done so before. Then we find out they had indeed wore them before and had pictures taken of them, even of Rebecca in a bikini and Rebecca and Abe in a car.

Won’t be watching this show anymore. FAKE, FAKE!!

10. monica mail Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 1:53 am

shows should be fined for this kind of fakeness. When will limits be put on such obvious bs. I am so tired of realty shows. take kardashians and the rest of the fall out and end them. Time to clean up the airwaves and go back to worthwhile tv.

11. Jeanie Says:
    December 3rd, 2012 at 10:43 pm

It was pretty obvious that it was fake, if nothing else when one of them knows how to drive a car, and esp. when the Amish family agreed to be filmed shunning one of the guys. Have to admit I only watched it a couple of times and couldn’t keep their names straight. But the Amish I know would NEVER allow someone to take their picture, let alone have a film crew in the house. Unless, of course, they were Mennonite or something a little less strict than Old Order Amish. And the girls that ran from Kate might have been her friends at one point, but they weren’t just running from Kate – they would have been running from the camera crew. And only one of them had the accent right. So yes, it was pretty obvious from the 2 times I saw it that it was not just faked but it was poorly edited so they couldn’t even hide the fact.

12. mike Says:
    December 4th, 2012 at 5:08 pm

My Grandpa grew up Amish & there is one photo of his whole childhood n was taken @ a school in a class photo. Amish people do not appear in front of cameras. I’m not Amish but I find this show to be offensive & disrespectful to the Amish Community.

13. Susan Says:
    December 13th, 2012 at 4:07 pm

the Amish in our county (Indiana) do not allow themselves to be photographed as they consider that a graven image. Knew this was fake from the start.

14. Anny Says:
    December 15th, 2012 at 8:53 am

Why would I was a TLC show about Amish when there is one in another channel, (forgot which channel is) that are actual Amish that left the community? When I saw the tv commercials, how “Crazy” etc, I knew it was fake.

15. Marilyn Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I think anyone that grew up around Amish country knew this was not real. I think anything on TV is entertainment and should be thought of as that.

16. Janet Says:
    February 10th, 2013 at 7:56 pm

When will people realize there is nothing real about reality tv :\

17. Frank Lopez Says:
    February 12th, 2013 at 11:04 am

SO dumb. The whole idea is a freakin’ mess.

18. Andy Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 11:21 am

I’m shocked! Something on TV is untrue. Really, people. Now tell me that you believe that Fox News is fair and balanced. At least Breaking Amish is (supposedly) entertaining. I don’t think that it was really meant to be educational even if the “L” stands for “learning”.

19. Danielle Says:
    February 16th, 2013 at 4:33 pm

I’m with Andy although I don’t think reality tv is entertaining at all. In fact, I’m old enough to remember a time when entertainment did nOT involve voyeurism. Reality check: the popularization and socialized acceptance of voyeurism as entertainment is ONLY a pre programmed response to what’s coming up folks – if you find being watched ‘okay’, glamourized and entertaining, then you won’t object to a camera in every house, your whereabouts always known, and your thoughts patrolled. Wake up. Stop watching. Read, do anything but watch reality TV. Hae you truly dummied down to this? We’ve succumbed to these numbing lowered expectations on every other level, those that mean more than the being entertained level, so why not this….

20. anna Says:
    March 29th, 2013 at 6:33 am

i did like the show and i just got hooked on it but i do think it was stupid in how they acted since they were suppose to be amish.they did act fake the whole baby thing i agree to that its abes i dont know why you would hide it give me a break if your a proud dad why not just say yes i am.

21. Mik Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 4:49 pm

The TRUTH will come out! Just like Amish Mafia

22. IamBJC Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 2:29 pm

@Lynne Moore–OK, I’ve been Roman Catholic for forty-five years now and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I have NEVER in my life heard of the Catholic church telling women that they MUST GIVE IN TO THEIR HUSBANDS’ SEXUAL DESIRES. That is absolutely FALSE and an outright LIE. *IF* that is what YOUR priest is teaching then you need to contact your Bishop. Secondly, the Roman Catholic church does NOT believe that men are superior or above women. Again, this is WRONG and a LIE. Nuns VOLUNTARILY take their vows. Now, there is a convent only a few miles from me, a MAJOR convent (Notre Dame) and the women who want to become nuns go through a VERY long and drawn-out process TO BE SURE THAT IT’S WHAT THEY FEEL CALLED TO DO! I honestly don’t know what planet you are from or what supposed Roman Catholic diocese you belong to but your misinformation is hereby called-out as “bullshit”. Sorry, but them’s the facts, Jack. If you have problems with the Catholic religion, so be it. That’s your choice. Just don’t go mouthing lies about MY faith and misrepresenting the Roman Catholic church. You are entitled to your opinions, but you are not entitled to spread lies. It’s wrong and you should be ashamed. As for this show, it was obvious how fake it was from about the second or third show on. Sorry to everybody else for my post, but I must call “B.S.” when I see outright lies and misrepresentations and address them. FYI–I have some issues I am dealing with in the church but I would never make something up about it. Thanks.

23. Loretta Killian Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Having grown up and lived near both Amish and Mennonites in Central Pennsylvania, I found this show to be highly offensive. With a bit more research, this could have been a good show explaining the Amish and Mennonite communities. Just like any other population, there are good and bad in the Amish and Mennonite communities. I just wish they would have concentrated on the good rather than the bad.
    Both communities mostly keep to themselves except for business, are wonderful caring and helpful neighbors and I have a lot of respect for them in general.

24. Me Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 2:33 pm

The really funny thing is the number of Americans who bother watching this BS and are amazed when they are told it is total BS.

25. Me Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 2:37 pm

anna said:

“i did like the show and i just got hooked on it”

That you would get “hooked” on a **** tv show like this was obvious just from reading your comment. The errors show it was either done by a 10 year old……..or a retard. You are certainly the demographic they aim show like this at.

26. Ted Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Wow, I can’t belive there might be other TV shows that lack veracity as well?

27. Elizabeth Says:
    April 28th, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I refused to watch the show on principle and I am not in the least surprised to hear it was faked. The Amish allow their children in teens to test the world to a certain extent, they do not force them to join the church, yet they retain about 90% of their children in their faith. They must be doing something right. We had neighbors when I was growing up who were raised Amish and had chosen not to join the Amish. They were not shunned, but had very good relations with their extended family. They explained to us that shunning is only practiced if someone leaves AFTER joining the Amish church and before that they are free to choose. Our neighbors had chosen the modern world and joined the Baptists. They claimed that they were typical of most of those who do leave Amish, in that they choose to leave the rules and old-fashioned ways, but retained the faith and values. I don’t actually know, but I strongly suspect they were right. Don’t believe what you see on TV, even reality shows.

28. Jocelyn Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 10:58 pm

I know most you say that they accepted the new world too quickly, that is most likely because of rumspringa which is the time they have from 16 to about 2oish. It is their grace period to expericence the outside world. I know for a fact of the shunning because I went to school with a girl who at 17 decied not to be amish and she was shunned, but she was then taken in by relatives who decied to leave the church. They shun right away, not after they join and then decide to leave.

29. Mary Lambert Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Reading the above comments about shunning brought back negative memories of being shunned by Jehovah’s Witnesses. I was shunned because I divorced my husband who had beaten me and never had time for family as he was too busy being an elder and being a people pleaser. This cult has so many rules and regulations that people acquiese to – simply a brain-washing organization. I really don’t have much knowledge about Amish or Mennonites except that they prefer to live a very austere life, with few, if any, modern conveniences or necessities. As a result of my negative experiences with religions, I really believe that religion is the curse of the earth – Muslims, Christians, etc. all think they have the one and only true religion and have no tolerance for people who do not believe as they do.

30. Willow Says:
    June 6th, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Glad I am pagan.

31. Elsie Kennedy Says:
    June 11th, 2013 at 9:42 am

I did not like this show and I don’t like the new one either.

32. jacko1 Says:
    June 16th, 2013 at 3:03 pm

I personnally think they should bring in the MORMON MAFIA to take care of this phony business.

33. Jenn Hearst Says:
    June 17th, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Jen says…I also grew up in Central Pa. approx. 30 minutes outside of Lancaster. Over the years encountered Amish and Mennonite at the Farmers Markets etc. etc. I personally like the show! A bit over the top-YES. The young people using the F word too much-YES. BUT, Hey Folks, it’s Reality TV! All in all however-it’s NOT that far off. The Amish DO allow the young people at age 16 to decide their own way. Should they decide to go English, they are No Longer Amish! The Mennonite’s are Not Nearly as Strict as the Amish! I’ve worked with many of them. SOME where a Bonnet on their hair-some don’t! No big deal. I Now live in Florida, only 15 minutes from Sarasota. How’s that for weird. I’ve been tempted to check out the Community of Amish & Mennonites just for the heck of it! My daughter said she has passed the area that they Film many times. I don’t really need too…many of them Shop at the store I manage! ESPECIALLY-during Season, they are part of the “Snowbird” population that head South as soon as the weather gets cold up North! Anyway, RELAX people…it’s just another Reality TV Show! Do you REALLY think All of the Others aren’t scripted!? Think again! My advise, if you don’t like it-Don’t watch it!! BTW, “IF” Amish are actually WATCHING IT…they are BREAKING Their Own laws!

Comments