Phillip Phillips Debut Album: The World From The Side Of The Moon

November 01, 2012 12:00 PM by Donna W. Martin

American Idol winner, Phillip Phillips is finally ready to release his debut album with Interscope Records, The World From the Side of the Moon. Since winning Idol in May, Phillips has become an overnight sensation and fresh off Idol’s 2012 summer tour, Phillip had very little time to record his album, three weeks to be exact.

According to Yahoo, Phillip Phillips said it was tough getting the album completed in such a short time. “I have no idea how we did it. A lot of hours. We were in the studio for at least 13, 14, 15 hours a day, just getting work done,” he said.

Now that all is said and done Phillips said he’s glad they had a short window to produce the album because they didn’t have time to “overanalyze things,” they just had to go with it and get it done. He had one request, “I didn’t want to do anything that I couldn’t perform live; I really wanted to keep it raw,” he said. “It was an awesome experience, having to get everything done that fast and learning so much in such a short amount of time.”

Phillips describes the album saying, “It’s an album that really represents me and it really comes from my heart, so I really hope people can connect with it,” Phillip states. “Hey, maybe people will like at least just one song!”

Considering the response he received on American Idol, I feel sure people are going to like more than one song! But there are those who think he will flop. According to the LA Times, critics wrote Phillips off as just the latest “white guy with a guitar” to win Idol. But Phillips hopes to prove them wrong. He said, “If they paid attention to each person’s artistry, then they would know the difference between a lot of us,” he said. “Kris [Allen] is different from David [Cook], David is different from Scotty [McCreery], and I’m different from all of them. I feel like I play the guitar and approach music a lot different than they do.”

“A lot of people that have come out of ‘American Idol,’ it’s a lot of poppy stuff, there’s some country stuff, but I really wanted to show the world what I was trying to do with my album. I like writing my own stuff. Hopefully, people recognize No. 1 hits aren’t always the best songs in the world.”

There are 12 songs on Phillips’ debut album and Phillip wrote or co-wrote nine of them. The album will be available on November 19.

Did you vote for Phillips on American Idol? Do you plan to buy his new album? Or do you agree with the critics? Post a comment and let us know.

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook! Click here for more information about American Idol. For other great reality TV news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: American Idol.

Photo Credit: FOX

Topics: American Idol, FOX Reality TV Shows |

15 Responses to “Phillip Phillips Debut Album: The World From The Side Of The Moon”

1. Linda Says:
    November 1st, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Loved Phillip on Idol and will be looking forward to his Album release. His music IS different from other male Idol winners. Think he’ll grow into his own style even more with time. You go Phillip!

2. jane Says:
    November 1st, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Love him—–will buy it!!!!

3. Becca Says:
    November 1st, 2012 at 1:00 pm

YES I voted for him and YES I will be getting this album too! LOVE his voice and music!!!

4. Karen Says:
    November 1st, 2012 at 1:23 pm

This 74 year old grandmother “picked Phillip for the winner since day one. I can’t wait to buy his album and still am celebrating his win. Awesome!”

5. Trish Says:
    November 1st, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I think Phillip Philips was one of the most talented performers on the show at that time. He was not all Bubble Gum and POP he sounded like and “Old Soul” very Jim Croce.
    I hope that this album does well he deserves the best!!

6. Virginia Hale Says:
    November 1st, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Yes I voted for Phillip Phillips and yes I will buy his albums. The last night we had to voted I voted 500 times for him. Critics dont always know.

7. surfcitysocal Says:
    November 1st, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Glad to hear that Phillips’ album hasn’t been “Idolized” like so many other winners’ albums have been, and that instead, it’s more representative of himself.

8. Charles Says:
    November 1st, 2012 at 2:58 pm

He’s right -about not doing anything in the studio you don’t do live. But these days, with computers, multiple band members, sound-techs; there are just to many ways for artists to get over imho. Taylor Swift -she didn’t even sing all the way through on Dancing with the Stars, or Iheart. Rhianna didn’t even sing on the Iheart show, she just did the chorus(3 minutes worth of chorus does not equal a song), almost all stars sing Karaoke . It’s just sad. It’s like it’s not even a show, just an excuse for stars to take your money and run. For a musician like me, I understand where he is coming from. They didn’t even include much of this info on BillBoard.com.

9. Elizabeth Black Says:
    November 1st, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I think this album is going to be big, I like it a lot. Now if the djs will just play it, they seem to feel like they can’t play Idol winners, for what reason I don’t know, they are supposed to play what we like, but they can make or break a song!!!!!! I hope they get flooded with request for Phillip!!!

10. Julie LaFortune Says:
    November 1st, 2012 at 11:24 pm

I can’t wait to buy Phillip’s music! I love his voice and style!

11. Ladiedie Says:
    November 2nd, 2012 at 2:20 am

Phillip Phillips! I guess his girlfriend refers to him as “MY P-P!!!” Hahahahahahaha!!!!! “What should we call you, Phil?”
    “Mr Phillips is alright, BUT YOU CAN CALL ME P-P!!!!” Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!”Hey, P-P! It’s time for dinner!” Hahahahahahaha!!! “WILL YOU STICK IT IN FOR ME, P-P????!!!!” HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Thessa Says:
    November 2nd, 2012 at 2:49 am

Phillip Phillips is the ONLY idol contestant that made me vote. ‘Glad I voted for him! Glad HE WON AI. I would definitely buy this album. I like it a lot. I love his voice, his style and is sincerity. I wish him all the best! I LOVE YOU PHILLIP PHILLIPS! <3

13. stan Says:
    November 2nd, 2012 at 4:56 am

when for example CRITICS down a movie, it becomes most popular or in music becomes top 10,most of the time.

14. Elaine Says:
    November 2nd, 2012 at 7:21 am

No I did not vote for him, don’t like him or his style so certainly will NOT buy his music. He will fade into the sunset just like Kris Allen.

15. Shirley Says:
    November 4th, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I have been waiting for this album since the night Phillip won American Idol and will be first in line to get it. With all the “showcasing” singers do on stage, it will be refreshing to know that when Phillip performs, we will actually be watching a talented young artist sing and play his guitar without having to watch all the dancing and other nonsense they throw into some of these performances. I wish Phillip all the best with this album–even though i don’t think he will need it. I think America got it sooooo right this year.

Comments