Phillip Phillips Shuns His Family, Forcing Them To Sell Pawn Shop

November 03, 2012 09:00 AM by Lisa Princ

Phillip Phillips has been enjoying his success since winning American Idol earlier this year, but not everyone in his family is celebrating with him. Despite that success, rumor has it that Phillip has shunned his family, and now they are being forced to sell their beloved Pawn Shop!

Phillip Phillips’ family owns a Sporting Goods and Pawn Shop, which you probably all remember from Phillip’s American Idol journey. Now, sources close to the family are claiming that the family is going to have to auction off the shop, after numerous attempts to get Phillip to help them out financially.

According to TMZ, the family owned shop, which has remained in the family for nearly 25 years, is about to hit the auction next month. An insider told the gossip site that Phillip’s dad hopes to use the profits from the auction, which he is hoping will be somewhere between $200k and $250k, to cover the family’s increasing debt.

So, why is Phillip Phillips not helping out financially? No one seems to know, but the family source revealed that the family has reached out to Phillip numerous times, only to be shunned by the singer. Now, Phillip’s family is hurt, especially since they shelled out big bucks to get the singer on American Idol.

TMZ reports that they have attempted to reach Phillip Phillips for comment, but so far….nothing. Something tells us it’s going to be a fun holiday season at the Phillips’ home.

What do you think of Phillip Phillips shunning his family? We know you have an opinion, and we want to hear it! Comment below to share your thoughts with us.

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook! Click here for more information about American Idol. For other great reality TV news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: American Idol.

Photo Credit: FOX

Topics: American Idol, FOX Reality TV Shows |

21 Responses to “Phillip Phillips Shuns His Family, Forcing Them To Sell Pawn Shop”

1. Kelly Says:
    November 3rd, 2012 at 9:24 am

It is not fair to judge PP based on this very brief information. More digging is necessary; possibly a close look into PP’s real relationship with his family members.

Hope Phillip is not as bad as what this article wants to portray him.

2. Joanna Taylor Says:
    November 3rd, 2012 at 10:42 am

My first thought when I read that is that Phillip’s family must not be as nice as we were supposed to believe. I doubt this is something negative about Phillip. Why is it his responsibility to correct their financial problems? You never know what goes on behind closed doors, and if his parents were so quick to very publicly throw their son under the bus PR-wise, perhaps the problem lies with them and not him. I love PP and wish him well and good health!

3. Mzymac Says:
    November 3rd, 2012 at 11:02 am

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished…

4. Sharon Busiel Says:
    November 3rd, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Sorry. I don’t believe everything I hear. There has to be an explanation that we are not hearing. I really like Phillip. It seems like the news media likes to make people look bad. Phillip went through the whole idol season sick and did a great job. His song Home is one of the best songs I have ever heard. i don’t know why I don’t hear it on the radio. If there is a problem with his family, I hope and pray that they will work it out between them without the media being involved. And shame on whoever got the media involved in the first place.

5. HoneySickle Says:
    November 3rd, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Thas rude……Im sure they spend toooons of money raising him and getting him everything he needed. Yeah its a good idea to not give all your money out to family who crawl out of the wood workds qhen you hit it big, but taking care of the people who raised you and sacrificed so much for you is a different story. i wonder if Phillip actually is shunning them away himself or if his assistant or whoever is just blowing them off and not even telling him..

6. Cj Says:
    November 3rd, 2012 at 1:01 pm

You have heard the old saying you can’t teach an old dog new tricks? Well that is true in many cases- pin it one in particular- Steven Tyler. Steven is Steven, he has always been that way and the dude is in his 60′s , he is certainly not going to change his ways now for anyone. Was it on purpose? I doubt it but the truth is he just don’t care who hears it as evidenced by his stint on Idol. Yes I think he should respect others and refrain his tongue in certain places and situations but I’m sorry to say folks it ain’t gonna happen. Take my advice, if you plan on having him on your show, make sure you have a bleeper on standby because you never know what you are going to hear, in any case hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.

7. marykaye Says:
    November 3rd, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I don’t believe this story…Phil gave his father the truck he won on idol, he has said many times that his fathers business has been for sale for 2 years, his parents were sent to the show when he won by his hometown and when asked what he’s bought with his earnings, he always says nothing but food. this is a nice guy and it’s not fair to repeat a probably made up story.

8. Ana Says:
    November 3rd, 2012 at 5:45 pm

It’s a bullshit. terrible. LIARS!

9. Cara Says:
    November 3rd, 2012 at 7:36 pm

This is not true! If you checked your facts before spreading rumors you would know this. Phillip is at home spending time with his family and they are very happy to see him. All of his fans know what is going on in his life so maybe you should check yourselves.

10. Larry crouse Says:
    November 3rd, 2012 at 11:52 pm

i supported him on ldol… now i wouldn’t buy any thing his

11. Pfan Says:
    November 4th, 2012 at 12:15 am

The him shunning his family is false. He was just with them this week, and he is doing more charity events soon. He is giving, he would never screw them over. They were talking about selling the pawn shop even before idol. They are even giving a portion of the auction money to their charity Mission Change.

12. Maryann Says:
    November 4th, 2012 at 6:45 am

Seems like a real cocksucker. I never did like him when he was on the show, always seemed so smug and heartless. This proves that theory.

13. alysia rice Says:
    November 4th, 2012 at 7:50 am

first of all, phillip is not like that he would never do that to his family. secound his father has wanted to sell the shop before phillip even went on idol. third phillip has not yet received the money from idol to help out he has to sell his album, then they will turn the money over. so please get your storys straight before you say anything!

14. Judi Van Gorder Says:
    November 4th, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I think PP “shunning his family” is a crock…. It simply isn’t consistent with anything we have seen or heard from him. The pawn shop was up for sale before PP won Idol. It may be that in this economy with no takers it is the wisest financial decision to put it up for Auction. The Idol star can’t be “rolling in dough” yet, although I am sure he is better off financially than before Idol. But if his parents “did ask for help” I can’t imagine PP not doing what he could.

15. Vanessa Says:
    November 4th, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I don’t believe it. He gave them the car he won as the champion. You should love your children for who they are, not for what they have.

16. helen Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 1:00 am

That’s terrible if its true but somehow I don’t believe this story because he was very close with his family throughout American idol. I also know that his brother-in-law is even working with him on his new album so I am calling BS on this story.

17. levendoski2007 Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 3:32 pm

something is rotten in denmark!!!

18. Sam Kidd Says:
    November 6th, 2012 at 1:04 am

I can’t believe this. I am shocked. He was so sweet on AI.Something has happened. This needs more investigating.

19. Jeff Says:
    November 6th, 2012 at 7:57 am

I live in Leesburg, Georgia and have known the Phillips family for almost thirty years. Nothing in this article is true!!!! This is a pitiful attempt to bring a good family down.

20. Lily Says:
    November 6th, 2012 at 7:26 pm

This story is ridiculous. I know Phillip and his family. His dad has wanted to sell the business for some time now and now that Phillips won AI he can be more involved.

21. Sharron Says:
    November 28th, 2012 at 12:23 am

What is the matter with the media that they have nothing good to say but would rather write lies about people? I cannot imagine the hurt this has caused him and his family. All of you should be ashamed of yourselves for believing this bullshit. Obviously his family is very close and supportative of each other. He gave his brother-in-law the truck he won. GET A LIFE TMZ and if you can’t say anything nice don’t say anything at all – didn’t your mama teach your anything?

Comments