Breaking Amish Reunion Recap: The Shunning Truth, Part One

November 12, 2012 04:30 AM by Melissa Stavarski

Immediately following the season finale of Breaking Amish, TLC aired part one of the reunion special, Breaking Amish: The Shunning Truth. Will our burning questions surrounding Sabrina, Abe, Rebecca, Jeremiah, and Kate‘s lives and TLC‘s deceptions finally be answered?

Hosted by Access Hollywood’s Michelle Beadle, the reunion special begins with a simple question: How has life changed for you guys since the show? Sabrina says, “Everything changed. People know who we are now and that’s stressful.” Rebecca says people are too judgmental.

Michelle asks the group to describe their immediate thoughts about New York City. While Rebecca says she wanted to return home and Abe says it was a culture shock, Jeremiah says he wasn’t fazed. Jeremiah adds, “I love challenges. I’ll try anything once.” Sabrina says it was awful, adding “If I would have had a gun, I would have shot myself.”

The topic of first impressions comes up. Jeremiah says, “I’d rather not say.” Cue the first impressions montage! On the tape, we see Jeremiah referring to Abe as a “very weird, weak Amish kid.” Abe admits, “I thought Jeremiah was a cocky little shit when I first saw him.” The tape also show Rebecca talking down on Kate, saying “Everybody bragged her out. Where’s this gorgeous, outrageously beautiful person?” Looking for a reaction, Michelle asks Kate how that made her feel. Kate acts indifferent and simply says, “I was kind of disappointed.”

Just in case we’re starting to feel  any sympathy for Kate, TLC rolls the tape of Kate and Sabrina making fun of Rebecca’s dentures. Rebecca admits, “When I first saw it [on TV], I was flipping mad.” Kate giggles and blames Rebecca for her mean girl acts. She says, “Rebecca acted like a bitch at first. So, if she wants to act like that to us, we’re going to laugh at her.” Sabrina says she only made fun of Rebecca because she was mean first. Rebecca blames her meanness on trust issues. She explains, “I don’t make friends easily. Unless they prove to me that they actually care about me, I’m not going to be the nicest person.”

Michelle changes the subject to alcohol. Rebecca says, “They were always getting drunk… not socially drinking. It was annoying. It wasn’t even funny.” Kate claims she didn’t want to drink in New York… but she fell victim to peer pressure from Jeremiah and Sabrina. Talking about Kate’s drinking leads them to Crazy Kate and Crazy Kate’s mood swings. Kate insists they all had their fair share of mood swings. Jeremiah insinuates that Kate’s mood swings took a toll on everyone.

Late in the season, Sabrina accused Kate of drugging her, flip cam-ing her in the middle of the night, and calling her a scary monster, which led to Sabrina and Jeremiah rearranging the sleeping arrangements. Kate doesn’t remember the exchange and there’s no video footage from TLC… now Sabrina wonders if it could have been just a nightmare. Some believe Jeremiah and Sabrina made up the entire story to justify changing the bedrooms. Jeremiah says, “People can believe what they want to believe. Getting her out of the room was just me looking out for Sabrina.”

Kate shares, “That was the hardest part of being up in New York. I loved Sabrina, and I thought we were friends. To get thrown out of my room like that… it was unexpected.” Rebecca says that Kate’s post-bedroom switch meltdown got to her the most. Jeremiah says it didn’t bother him in the least, because it was just a “normal thing we went through every time Kate got upset.”

At this point, Abe walks off the stage. Is he upset about something that was said? When he returns, we learn he just had to use the bathroom. Of course, Jeremiah never misses the opportunity to say something stupid, “Abe went to drain the main vein.”

Moving on, we learn more about Jeremiah and Sabrina’s hook ups in New York. Jeremiah boasts, “If the world wants to know, we did it and enjoyed it.” Sabrina adds, “And I made him stop.” Michelle looks confused and asks, “What do you mean you made him stop?”

TMI ALERT: Sabrina explains, “I was drunk both times. We were both trashed and started messing around. He sticks it in, and I was like, No! … I made him take it out … I don’t consider that actually doing it.”

Part one of the reunion ends with family / shunning updates. Rebecca says she talks to her family about once a month. Abe tells us how much it meant to him when his mom came to talk to him in New York, but, sadly, it got her shunned. She’s “supposed to be behaving” to regain the Bishop’s trust, so Abe doesn’t talk to her too often. Kate admits to “check ins” with her family… Jeremiah says the same about his sisters. Sabrina reveals nothing with, “I’ll talk to anyone, but it’s their choice if they talk to me.”

Next time on Breaking Amish: The Shunning Truth, Michelle wants to know who the father of Rebecca’s baby is and Jeremiah appears to have a lot to say about the viewers failing to do their “freaking homework.”

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook!. Click here for more information about Breaking Amish. For other great reality TV news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: Reality TV.

Photo Credit: TLC

Topics: Breaking Amish, TLC Reality TV Shows |

35 Responses to “Breaking Amish Reunion Recap: The Shunning Truth, Part One”

1. Becca Says:
    November 12th, 2012 at 10:21 am

I have lost all respect for the Amish! They are so weird and nuts!! They need to change their rules a bit, like get a dentist!!!! This shunning stuff is beyond stupid. Once a family always a family no matter what you do your family is always there for you in the real world.

2. JeffO Says:
    November 12th, 2012 at 10:35 am

This isnt Jersey Shores bad. But it is close, oh so close.

3. kj Says:
    November 12th, 2012 at 11:37 am

Amish are cruel to their animals, including the puppymills they keep.

4. Kathryn Says:
    November 12th, 2012 at 11:54 am

Will we learn why Rebecca’s teeth were all pulled? Why did Rebecca’s grandparents move? Did Sabrina ever ask her birth father why she was put up for adoption? And why always wearing cowboy boots – especially with shorts. Will we learn where Kate is living.

5. Jacqueline Says:
    November 12th, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Trash!!!!!

6. Shame in Lancaster Says:
    November 12th, 2012 at 12:13 pm

The Amish are nuts! Growing up in the heart of Lancaster County there is so many things the Amish will not admit to. I still have no idea why people flock here to see them. They are no better than us, just as sneeky and sinful as the rest of us!
    So sad and pathedic…

7. david Says:
    November 12th, 2012 at 12:17 pm

but the thing is is the amish they believe in there own ways in life to do things just like catholic,lds,jahova whitness basically what im saying is every religion has its own way of what they believe and how they live there lives so why is it right for us to attack and say stuff about the amish when we all live our lives the way we want to live ours its everyones choice on how they live their lives not other peoples now im not saying we wont like their decisions or understand what they are saying doing how they live things like that but we arent supposed to its their way of life not ours to judge.

8. Vette Says:
    November 12th, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I think this is so made up these people were a little too comfortable switching over. I think they were already living the “english” life. So corny. I’m with Becca on the teeth situation. Those chicks were crazy for kissing yuck mouth one and two. Gross!!!

9. Cathy Colarusso Says:
    November 12th, 2012 at 12:30 pm

This show is a scam. These are not the way Amish behave.

One character goes from being an Amish to a drunk, a model? I don’t think so…

These characters are not truly Amish. When one of the characters went home to her grandparents house, the grandparents were gone and the house was empty except for the telephone and some other kitchen items. If you’ve ever been inside an Amish home, they do not use telephones, nor do they have big decks on their house, and they do not have electric appliances.

This show is a disgrace and does not show the Amish in their true light.

If one of my children left home, behaved the way these sluts did, I am not sure I would accept them unless they changed their ways.

10. becky Says:
    November 12th, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I am pretty sure Rebecca is on a Proactive commercial…check it out…I guess she’s an actress!

11. ekayr Says:
    November 12th, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I’ve lived around the Amish. These people are reality stars/actors. They are not true Amish. You are being fooled if you believe they are.

12. Pat Says:
    November 12th, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I’m confused, I thought that once the kids left their parents or village that they could never come back? that once they tried the English way, the Amish would not allow them back? however, on this show they appear to have gone back to the Amish neighborhoods and are not welcome? if the Amish is so into GOD then why can’t the kids go and come back when they want to? FOOD FOR THOUGHT

13. Pat Church Says:
    November 12th, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I wanted to grab Rebecca and hold her tight, she needs to be loved, accepted and privacy for her child. She is beautiful and brave. I hope she and Abe are happy. I think Jeremiah has a real attitude problem, I cannot believe he was Amish

14. Chuck Says:
    November 12th, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Only reason I ever watched it knowing that it was all fake was thought Kate was a beautiful woman. lol Now after watching the reunion Kate looked like she has been drug through the ringer. If you get a chance to see some clips look at her eyes and face in general compare it to what she looked like when they filmed the show. You agree with me how she changed??

15. norma Says:
    November 12th, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I thought it was fake. They all took on the “English” ways too easily. Where did they get all the money for the hotel and the booze they drank, and all the snacks they ate. What about the “English” clothing? Small town Amish would not know about where to shop unless they had a guide. Rebecca was really quite a “tart”.

16. DLBR Says:
    November 12th, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I have really enjoyed this show and hope it will continue next season.

17. optilady Says:
    November 12th, 2012 at 1:46 pm

This show is a joke and everything about it was fake and a lie. Don’t bother trying to bring this crap show back. No one will watch this total rip-off !!

18. Tom S. Says:
    November 12th, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Give me a break, this is why you watch. We all knew that Toothless had an Open gash. Suprise,Suprise. On the other hand, Pull the teeth out. She could be a VIRGIN.

19. Diane Says:
    November 12th, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Hahahaa..was Jeremiah stoned or what????

20. Carly Says:
    November 12th, 2012 at 4:00 pm

hahhaha..was Jeremiah stoned or what????

21. Dori Says:
    November 12th, 2012 at 4:10 pm

We have lots of Amish in our area. These people aren’t any more Amish than my pet cat! Amish would never swear like they do, easily change into bikinis, go to Atlantic City or drink. They wouldn’t hook up or divorce either. Nor would you be allowed to film inside their houses. This whole thing is bogus!

22. wiserthansum Says:
    November 12th, 2012 at 4:17 pm

These young people were not grounded in their faith enough to behave like a Christian wants to and enjoys doing. It is a sad series. An ordinary Christian college age person has a code of moral behavior they adhere to no matter what the circumstance they find themselves in. The bad language, drinking, sexual promiscuity, lies, provocative dressing, and general lack of morals speaks volumes about them as individuals.

23. Trish Says:
    November 12th, 2012 at 4:28 pm

If you think the Amish never use phones – or even own phones – you must have missed Episode 1, where Rebecca talks about the hypocrisy of not having a phone in the house, but having a purpose-built shed on the edge of the property to house the phone. Also, if you ever go to an Amtrak station, especially on the east coast, you’ll see Amish people using pay phones all the time. They also use internal-combustion engines – they don’t drive or own cars, but they will pay taxi drivers to take them on errands, and ride trains.

As for “English” life – they all had some experience with it. Jeremiah was the only one to have formally joined the church, so his dressing English & so on is grounds for shunning. If they haven’t joined yet, they are allowed to enjoy “Rumspringa” & experiment with nonAmish behavior & dress. Also, Rebecca says she & a group of Punxy friends would dress English & go bowling in another town. Kate got a DUI in Florida, consistent with Rumspringa. Amish in good standing do drink alcohol. Just because Kate jumps into modeling doesn’t mean she isn’t escaping an insular group – I spent my teens in a small convent school & the first year after, I did things that convent girls aren’t “supposed” to do. I think it’s no surprise that someone kept socially constricted would do something outside the group’s habits.

Finally, I’d like to say that I think Kate seems like a nice person, and the group-think that went on in the hotel that got the others ganging up on her was unfair & uncalled-for. The fact that she tried to apologize suggests to me that Kate doesn’t have a lot of experience outside of small, insular communities. Once she learns that she can choose which individuals & groups she wants to hang out with, she’ll have a happier life.

24. Cathy Says:
    November 12th, 2012 at 4:55 pm

What made me suspicious was that all of these people used the sort of language that needed to be bleeped. Do the Amish really talk like that in their communities? I find that hard to believe! And this started with the very first episode. I would have thought they wouldn’t know how to use those words, let alone use them so often and freely. I also found it odd that all (except Kate) behaved sexually the way they did while pointing out that other things that people around them did wasn’t the way Amish would behave.

I can understand them going a bit wild in the big city, though. Young people in particular, after living in such a strict environment, frequently react that way when they no longer have any constraints.

BUT I also was very confused about the way Amish behave after one has left the fold. They all said (except for Sabrina) that they would be shunned if they attempted to return home. But they did return home and most were SURPRISED when they were shunned! One of them, I forget which one, said something early on about thinking about going back home. Since they had already left, how could they return home? There was A LOT of back and forth on this subject throughout! Very confusing.

25. Kitten Says:
    November 12th, 2012 at 5:11 pm

This is a ploy to get people hating the Amish because they have nothing to do with the government. The New World Order crowd have no hold nor control over them so they want the average American to hate them. The last people to be treated this way were witches back in Salem.

26. Kristen Says:
    November 12th, 2012 at 5:55 pm

These people have come off as completely ignorant when being interviewed during the reunion special. They should be embarrassed of their behavior. “Amish” or not.

27. Sue Rosenorn Says:
    November 12th, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I really enjoy the show. People have got to realize that all reality shows add a liitle fakeness to make it more exciting for the viewers. I feel bad for the young people that are shunned. Most Amish kids that get a taste of the “English life” oftn do get a little wild because of being suppressed their whole life. There have been documentaries showing their partying before decision time.

28. Paige Lovelace Says:
    November 12th, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I live near Holmes County Ohio which has one of the largest populations of Amish around and they aren’t what they want every one to know them as. Holmes County is considered the puppy mill capital of Ohio. They portray themselves to be godly humane people when in fact they aren’t. This shown has proven to me what hypocrites the Amish are.

29. Barbie Says:
    November 12th, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Was it just me or was Jerimiah high as a kite on Shunning part 1?? He was totally blazed. Slouching, killing his chewing gum, his eyes looked like he was dazed, he thought everything was funny…need I say more? He learned how to smoke some herb from the English. Watch it again and see!

30. Janet Says:
    November 12th, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I think it was Rebecca who stated that she was surprised to learn how judgemental everyone has been of them. I am curious as to whether or not she and the others include themselves in that category? They harshly judged each other as well as most of the “English” they encountered.

31. Michelle Says:
    November 15th, 2012 at 2:52 pm

@Barbie yes, yes, yes….I agree 100% . He is high for sure no question.

32. cynthia Says:
    November 18th, 2012 at 3:37 pm

I would like to know, WHERE DID THEY GET THEIR POTTY MOUTHS. If they have only been in New York for two weeks, how could they have learned these words: Skank, Slut, etc. Those are really bad words.
    I think they have been “English” for quite awhile.

33. Rebecca Says:
    November 18th, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I grew up around the amish for 50 plus years……the are the biggest hypocrites in the world……and will take advantage of an English people like crazy. Alot of incest going on……..!

34. Susan Says:
    November 18th, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Breaking Amish the stunning truth part one and two is more like an interrogation. Such rude,demeaning questions. I wonder if Michelle asks such shameful questions to other people. Its so sad. These are human beings. They have been brought up in a different environment and now its like they are getting grilled or put in front of the spot light. Can anyone say that they have never had issues or struggles with life? The interviews are really disgusting.

35. Karen Says:
    October 14th, 2013 at 10:09 am

How terribly humiliated must their parent’s be. As a parent I think we all do our hearts best to raise our children with convictions and abilities to become a good person. Which I believe these kids parents did. To me all this show is, is a show about mouthy rebellious teenagers who want it their way . I feel sorry for their parent’s and family, until up to this show you heard nothing bad about them or the Amish life style. God forgive this group of kid’s be merciful towards them. For God see’s the heart of all involved.

Comments