Steven Tyler Apologizes To Nicki Minaj For Cornfield Comment

November 30, 2012 07:50 AM by Donna W. Martin

Recently, we learned that former American Idol judge; Steven Tyler slammed the on-set fighting between new Idol judges, Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj. “If it was Bob Dylan,” Tyler said regarding the Carey, Minaj feud, “Nicki Minaj would have had him sent to the cornfield.” Well, needless to say, Tyler’s comment rubbed Minaj the wrong way and she later took to Twitter calling Aerosmith frontman’s comment racist. And now, Tyler sets the record straight and apologizes to Minaj.

According to MTV, Tyler told eTalk, a Canadian entertainment show, “I apologize if it was taken wrong, Nicki. But I am the farthest thing from [being a racist]… I am the last thing on the planet as far as being a racist,” Tyler said. “I don’t know where she got that out of me saying I’m not sure how she would have judged Bob Dylan.”

Tyler went on to say that, the Bob Dylan jab was not racially motivated in any way and that he simply meant, “If Bob Dylan came on the show, he would have been thrown off.” Tyler added, “Maybe I spoke out of turn, but a racist I’m not, Nicki.”

During Tyler’s slam of the Carey, Minaj feud, he told MTV News, “They need a manager to say shut the f*uck up and give the [contestants] your opinion.” That is their job after all, right? Judge the contestant’s performances instead of duking it out diva style.

What do you think about Steven Tyler’s Bob Dylan comment? Do you think his comment was meant to sound like a racial slur? Or do you think Nicki Minaj is being overly sensitive and completely over-reacting? We know you have an opinion and we’d love to hear it, so post a comment below and tell us all about it.

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook! Click here for more information about American Idol. For other great reality TV news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: American Idol.

Photo Credit: FOX

Topics: American Idol, FOX Reality TV Shows |

54 Responses to “Steven Tyler Apologizes To Nicki Minaj For Cornfield Comment”

1. m s Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 8:24 am

dont ever argue with a black person. if you disagree with ANYTHING your aa racist.

2. Nicholas Calavera Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 8:28 am

In this day of politically correct comments it’s sad that any small reference to a “field” is now a reference to slavery. He didn’t say “cottonfield”. Everyone needs to lighten up in this country. I’m an “Italian American” and I don’t think I would take offense to someone saying “I would have Bob Dylan sent to the tomato, olive, grape or any other type of farming field.

3. if the truth hurts Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 8:45 am

Steven Tyler dont back down from her all she is, is a piece of trash who should die and burn in hell. I caint stand this thing she should not even be classified as a human.

4. Ray Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 8:45 am

Steven is most definitely not a racist. For any of you wondering look at who he has been with. Who has he slept with and flirted with even on stage or contestants. Minaj is high drama and likes to be outspoken to call attention to herself. You don’t believe me then look at her like Steven. Does she try to be flashy and call attention to herself with either her hair, makeup, fake boobs? Yup there is your answer. She is a Diva wanna be and just does not have the chops for it. If you want to make the world a better place Nikki you better look in the mirror to quote the Diva himself Michael Jackson.

Good luck AI with these two divas battling it out. Time to stop the DVR and move on to something else.

5. ocho Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 9:05 am

Minaj is an idiot. Oh, sorry, was that racist?

6. jim johnson Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 9:06 am

I think it is just another stunt ( much like her hair color to gain attention for herself), The idiotic, possibly “Racist” little twit should apologize for pulling the race card, again.
    My advioce, get a new rap Niki!!

7. Duke Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 9:07 am

People need to understand that Nicki has a mental disability and we should all be understanding of her disability.

8. TLS Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 9:08 am

Yes, the freak was being overly sensitive!!! I’m soooo sick and tired of people, especially black people, taking something someone says that isn’t racist sounding at all and playing the overused race card!!! Just like when people were scolding what Susan Rice did/said, a black woman spoke for her and called those people racists!!!

9. stephen Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 9:12 am

She is too dumb to understand the real insult of his words,he was insinuating that she doesn’t know anything about real music and real talent,she’s nothing but a clown that thinks she can sing.

10. Pam Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 9:15 am

I can’t believe they got Nicki Minaj as a judge. She is so gutto. She had to play the race card on Steven – it was the only card she had. And it was useless.
    As much of an Idol fan that I am, not sure I want to watch this season.
    It is not fair to the contestants.

11. Eddie Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 9:18 am

No. Tyler’s awesome. It’s a figure of speech to send someone to the cornfield. Just means they get short handed and thrown off… If anything this shows how uneducated Minaj is.

12. cp183 Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 9:25 am

What’s a Nicki Minaj?

13. Joan Jappa Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 9:32 am

Nicki Minaj is totally without talent and should not be sitting in judgement of anyone. She is all hype and hopefully in 5 years will be a horrible blip in history. I am African American and there was not a single racist intimation in Tyler’s comment. She is looking for something to justify her bad,immature behavior. We are so over this behavior.

14. CB Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 9:40 am

I’m so ready for her 15 minutes to be over.

15. Shaun Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 9:40 am

Argue with a black and ANYTHING you say is racist. How in the hell was that racist?

16. NoRace Nothingface Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 9:43 am

It seems to me Minaj is the racist here…The first thing she did was think racist thoughts and them outwardly expressed those racist thoughts so as to garner support against the “evil white man”

17. kathy Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 9:48 am

now that is racist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Gary T Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 9:49 am

FYI..the “cornfield” mention was from a long ago classic Twilight Zone television episode.

19. David G Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 9:55 am

Nicki Minaj is a racist.

20. tammy Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 9:55 am

Steven is in now way racist. I can’t believe he even took the time to appologize to this drama queen. I have been a huge lover of AI and i will not be watching it this season (which i am sure is its last). No way i can sit through two Diva’s on the show. Poor Keith. Steven showed how much class he has by even attempting to set his comment straight even though it was not racist. She needs to do her homework on real talented musicians and understand his background and she will feel stupid for making this comment.

21. Dwayne Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 9:56 am

I agree with what Nicholas Calavera said earlier in this thread. MAYBE –>IF<– he had said "cottonfield" then MAYBE it could be stretched to be a racist comment. MAYBE. Even then it would be a stretch.

I agree with the majority; Minaj is just an idiot and a drama queen on top of it.

22. SkinnyBob Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:00 am

I think Nicki Minaj owes the world an apology for pretending to be talented and for stealing money she gets for her “shows”.

23. Bubba S. Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:04 am

Why don’t these stupid people just go away!! Nobody
    really cares what they have to say!!!

24. Larry Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:05 am

Tyler shouldn’t have given the satisfaction of an apology to trailor trash like that.

25. jan Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:05 am

Everyone has an opinion black, white you name it. Its a shame that in the 21 Century were still going backwards with the bickering and name calling! To bad we don’t have better things to discuss beside all the small talk! Can’t we all just grow up!

26. sugar town lisa Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:06 am

ok seriously. RACIST. Crap I am so sick of hearing that word already. Get over it people. And Nikki and Mariah as judges. My my my. Get bk on there Stephen. Show em how its done. lol…

27. Cassandra Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:07 am

All the fighting and acting like two 10 year old on the playground has convinced me that I want nothing to do with Idol this year.

28. pwatson Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:11 am

When I read the comment, I instantly thought of the “Twilight Zone” episode where the little boy (Bill Mummy) would banish you to the cornfield if he didn’t like you.

29. Lee Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:12 am

I’m so sick of the damn race card. Anytime someone (like Nikki — or many others) gets her panties in a wad, the person causing the wad is always a racist. We could (we don’t, tho) live in a racist-free society and I don’t know what she would do with herself. No one to blame.

30. Jake Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:13 am

I just assumed he was referring to the Twilight Zone episode “It’s a Good Life” where anything the boy did not like was sent to the cornfields. How anyone in the world could look at what he said as racist is beyond me. At the most it seems like it is a cultural gap.

31. stormy Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:13 am

YAY STEVEN!!! Nikki, pull your freaking head outta your ass! You are no more qualified to judge talent than my dog. Move along lil’ looser…

32. Lee Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:14 am

Here’s a suggestion: Watch THE VOICE!!! Those judges get along great. The show is about the contestants, not them.

33. Clem Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:15 am

Minaj? Her name is Onika Maraj — her ansestors are mostly from Tobago — really has a bad attitude and hyper sensitive. She speaks with a forked tongue so just try to ignore her. No worries.

34. Gordon Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:16 am

Yup, it’s funny how everyone on here are commenting about being black and using the word “racist”. However NONE of them are either! See how you would like it, if someone, that doesn’t even know you, simply by the type of music you do, and your skin color, would ASSUMMEEE that you wouldn’t like some other chap simply because “His Skin color” and the music that He does!!! That comment was TOOTALLY unappropriate. And I don;t think if it were someone else, other then Nicki Minaj, who also happens to black, that Steven would EVER try to reference something to that effect!!!!! Don’t associate someone to what they might not and MIGHT like simply based on the type of music they do and THEIR skin color!!!! ANd for the bunch of DOPES that have all the time in the world to sound off on comments, when it’s not someone of YOUR RACE being attack! You might want to sit this one down before taking on the mike and sounding COMPLETELY Stupid! Because By far, Steven was out of line with that comment!! It was out of context and had no corrulation! ESPECIALLY when he has not seen her judge ANYONE on the show yet, to know whether she would like a bob dylan like at all? So where the EFF would that comment come from then….Hmmmmm! Yup, I’ll continue to let you geniouses out here keep on speaking….

35. RJ Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:16 am

I’m sorry but, who is Minaj again?

36. Justin Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:17 am

That was not racist at all. I hate people who play the race card (in any race)…

37. Gloria Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:18 am

Steven Tyler is not a racist and Minja is mentally unstable. I am African American and approves this message!

38. Jerrry Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:22 am

pretty sad that most blacks play that racist card over anything they whine about. 1st off this girl sucks. no talent bs is all she is. She over reacted and the world knows it. it does not matter if your black white yellow or blue- It dose not change the fact that you are a dumb ass minaj(is that her name? who cares right?). american idol has jumped the shark with this line up and i for one will not be watching. if I wanna here bitching- i got a ex wife I can call. lol

39. Brenda Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:25 am

Steven, I agree, do not back down. Everything anyone says now days is taken as racist by ignorant people who do not want this country to progress. I do not understand why she would be offended by that anyway. Did she ever work on a cotton field? I doubt it. My parents did as maybe hers did, but so what it was the way they earned money.

40. jamie Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:27 am

who the hell is nicki miaj never heard of her or what ever it is

41. Bob Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:28 am

Personally , I like both artists but what We need Now is more ‘Positive Comments’ – I like “ThE VOICE’ , much better because of the Positive Influences from the Judges – America is Much stronger when We work together than we Constantly criticize each other !! PeAcE , BoB

42. cat Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:38 am

SO SICK OF THE “RACIST’ card being played… this is what today’s youth has to look up to?
    GOD HELP US ALL
    SHE NEED NOT COME BACK NEXT YEAR… MAYBE IDOL AS WELL

43. peggy Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:41 am

Hang in there Steven. If it weren’t for you, I wouldn’t be watching “Idol” this season. Love your honesty, but can’t handle the diva bull****. It will ruin the show.

44. Pete Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:45 am

Has anyone LISTENED to a Minaj CD? Everyone’s a “bitch” or a “ho” or a “nigga” — yet she comes off calling someone ELSE a “racist”? I guess it’s different when you are a member OF the club? It’s like one black calling another a “nigga” — it’s a badge of honor, but for someone who’s not, it’s racist? Gimme a friggin’ break. Just a desperate one-hit wonder trying to milk her 15 minutes of fame. (Does “milking” make me a sexist? Shudder…)

45. bj&the bear Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:45 am

American Idol was my wife and me best show to watch ever now they are going down we are not going to watch it this yr its to much .we would like to see jalo come back and steven come back on the show they have a good harts and it was a good show now its just went bad .

46. Blue Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:46 am

To TLS: Yes, and I am tire of white people say use the race card. Funny, white people started the race card, remember? When we want to use it. Now, it a problem. Your race been using the race for over 400 years and we blacks started around 50 years ago. So, please when we get over 400 years then we will stop.

47. IdividualThinker Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:47 am

I believe what bothers me most is not this article, but the responses of “black people are so sensitive” and references to using the “race card” by another black person. This was poor judgement by ONE person saying she believed it may have been racist towards HER. Those of you that are not black, (which I am not,) may have never had a racist thing said to you. So you should dhut the hell up. Maybe she is sensitive, but you do not know what that feels like.

I am gay, and I assure you. I do not “flaunt” my “gayness” as a lot of straight people would believe all gay people do. I have served my community and faught for the rights of ALL despite being slandered. Do I get offended by things others believe is ridiculous…..of course, but then again it is not important to them. So cut her some slack. And quit grouping all people into one cliche, (I.E. blacks, gays, hispanics, etc.)

48. David Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:47 am

Has anyone told her how downright ugly she is?

Just curious.

49. lynn Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 11:29 am

I am black and don’t think it was a racist comment at all. People (not just black people)overly use the term Racist. Many people do not know the definition and throw it arround carelessly.

Frankly, Niki is an idiot, American Idol is tired, and REALLY people, who the heck cares!

50. A Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 11:38 am

All black people do not play the race card. Since I am sure all of you who are posting on this board are white you “think” every black person plays the race card. If someone says something that sounds racist you damn right, you will be called out on it. I know there are some who use it to justify everything, but it’s not ALL black people. No matter who likes it racism is still here; and people still believe in it. Black people are sensitive about racism and we should be. Your ancestors wasn’t beaten, controlled, and killed for hundreds of years; but ours were. To know that racism is still a part of this world is sad. But the most important thing is we will never forget. Nikki felt it was racist; maybe she is just overly sensitive to racism. I am black, I do not believe that Tyler met it as a racial slur but those who comment that black people are overly sensitive to racism is right and we have the right to be. Love each other, that’s the only way this world is going to get better. You all have a nice day.

51. Big Mama Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Nicki is a moron and Mariah is a J-Lo wannabe. I’ve watched Idol since the start but will ignore completely this season. No interest in watching these morons.

52. Sabrina Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Isn’t just a Twilight Zone comment ?? Maybe a reference that was lost on the young Nikki and this generation. That what I took it as – and no Tyler is not a racist !!! I think the fighting is all just for ratings and picking these two for American Idol has made me turn off the show for the first time and I think will not be good for anyones career.

53. Wonetah Einfeldt(weewee) Says:
    December 1st, 2012 at 9:01 am

Steve Tyler the leader of Aerosmith the first white musician to mix rock with rap with run Dmc is not a racist he is a living musical legend with talent only comparable to Jackson mr. James brown Michael Bolton and the likes skyward VCR and who the hell is this lil kid rapper is your talent bigger then your mouth? I spit on that apology and I am a black Jewish chic.

54. Mike Says:
    December 1st, 2012 at 9:03 am

I think Steven has a point- I listen to college radio and I’m satisfied the vast majorities of acts and artists played, couldn’t get arrested on AI. Why? Because the judges are looking for the next (insert latest flash-in-the-pan here), rather than someone with true talent and staying power.
    Seeing as Dylan’s from Minnesota I would’ve said “dairy farm” instead, I think!

Comments