Ellen DeGeneres Ad Angers One Million Moms

December 06, 2012 04:00 PM by Stephanie Gustafson

We thought the days of Ellen DeGeneres controversy were long over, but apparently, we thought wrong. The former American Idol judge is once again attracting criticism for her sexual orientation, but this time, she’s dragged JC Penney into the ring as well.

Ellen DeGeneres recently appeared in a Christmas ad for JC Penney. There wasn’t anything particularly unusual about the advertisement; it featured Ellen explaining the store’s new button campaign to a group of elves…and making a few cheesy but amusing jokes related to the elves’ height.

Despite its seemingly innocuous nature, Ellen’s advertisement managed to anger a conservative watchdog group dubbed One Million Moms. This group has found Ellen’s position at JC Penney problematic all along, having complained in February, “Funny that JC Penney thinks hiring an open homosexual spokesperson will help their business when most of their customers are traditional families.”

After the new Christmas ad aired, One Million Moms again spoke out on what the group deemed a “controversial” issue: “Since April, JC Penney’s has not aired Ellen DeGeneres in one of their commercials until now. A new JCP ad features Ellen and three elves. JCP has made their choice to offend a huge majority of their customers again. Christians must now vote with their wallets. We have contacted JC Penney’s several times in the past with our concerns, and they will not listen. They have decided to ignore our complaints so we will avoid them at all costs.”

We’re not surprised that JC Penney isn’t eager to follow this group’s advice. And we’re pretty sure that Ellen DeGeneres’ presence in the store’s ads is not considered offensive for “a huge majority” of the store’s customers.

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook! Click here for more information about American Idol. For other great reality TV news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: American Idol.

Photo Credit: NBC

Topics: American Idol, FOX Reality TV Shows |

10 Responses to “Ellen DeGeneres Ad Angers One Million Moms”

1. Janice Curry Says:
    December 6th, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I saw the commercial for the first time tonight. I found nothing wrong with the commercial. Ellen was her usual funny self. I enjoy her humor and the fact that she is so generous all the time. Isn’t that the point of the Christmas Season? Giving to others. Some people need to find important things to complain about!

2. Wendalyn Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 6:24 am

“One Million Moms” equates to 20 uptight, close-minded women with nothing better to do with their time than attempt to cause problems, and get noticed. I support JCPenney BECAUSE Ellen is the spokesperson, and I’m a Christian!! Groups such as OMM seem to be Christian women who forgot what it means to actually be a CHRISTIAN. Go back to basic bible school and leave Ellen and JCPenney alone.

3. Mike Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 12:18 pm

My wife wants us to go to JCPenney this weekend. I think that’s a great idea. I’m not a huge fan of Ellen, but these OMM ladies need to get a friggin’ clue.

4. Trish Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 6:50 pm

The ad is fine these woman need to build a bridge and get over it my god. Lighten up or get layed.

5. Sonja Says:
    December 8th, 2012 at 2:42 am

This is completely stupid. This group has done some good in the past. I think this just taints their credibility.

6. Elizabethann Says:
    December 8th, 2012 at 10:49 am

I happen to be a mom and I think Ellen is great! People need to stop judging others because it’s WRONG! You aren’t Ellen, she is and what she had decided for her life is her decision to make, NOT yours or mine! Get a life and leave Ellen alone. If you don’t like her, just don’t watch her. If you decide to NOT shop at JCP, that is YOUR decision just like Ellen’s life is HER’s, NOT yours! Christians are NOT suppose to judge anyone, it’s God’s job! Are you God? NOT!!!!!!

7. Jeanne Says:
    December 8th, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I am a Christian mother that loves Ellen. Leave her alone she has done nothing but brought humor and generosity to our world. I don’t know who the One Million Moms represent, but it certainly is not me or anyone I know.

8. Helen Says:
    December 9th, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I am a huge Ellen fan and a devoted Christian. I not only enjoy her show, but all of her TV ads; Cover Girl and JCP. Until now I’d never heard of “One Million Moms.” What’s their platform? What’s their goal / purpose? Are they a non-profit? Are they out their trying to help their fellow man? You know, like a GOOD CHRISTIAN should. Like Ellen does every day! Or is their sole purpose to pass down judgement on others? OMM needs to mind their own business and leave others alone – “To each their own” And as long as one persons action do not cause harm to others, but out.

9. Katie Says:
    December 9th, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I think after reading this article that I’m going to go to JC Penney’s and buy some clothes for my girls for Christmas. As a Mother who is Christian, I am appalled by the thoughts of this so-called Christian based organization. It’s people like this that continue to give our faith and beliefs a bad name. GO ELLEN!!

10. Christy Says:
    December 13th, 2012 at 2:21 pm

What is wrong with these people (OMM)? Ellen is a wonderful and kind human being. Why don’t you protest against pedophiles or violence, for Pete’s sake? Live and let live. I applaud Ellen and Penneys! Merry Christmas!

Comments