Ke$ha’s Song “Die Young” Pulled From Radio Following Sandy Hook Massacre

December 18, 2012 04:10 PM by Donna W. Martin

Following the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary that killed twenty children and six adults, X Factor guest star, Ke$ha’s song “Die Young” has been removed from radio playlists. Keep reading for more details.

According to Entertainment Weekly, “Die Young” was topping the charts at number three when the Sandy Hook massacre occurred. And afterward, it didn’t take long for the song to plummet to the bottom. Considering the senseless loss of life and the tender ages of the victims, it’s obvious nobody wants to hear a song about dying young.

On Friday, after what FBI profilers say was “considerable preparation,” 20-year-old Adam Lanza smashed his computers and killed his mother by shooting her in the head four times while she slept in her bed, according to The Lookout. And then he proceeded to Sandy Hook Elementary with a stockpile of weapons and ammunition where he shot and killed another twenty-six people that included twenty children and six adults.

Although Lanza destroyed his computers with a hammer and a screwdriver, the FBI’s Computer Analysis and Response Team are working around the clock and are hopeful they can find some information that would suggest why Lanza would carry out such a heinous crime, especially on young innocent children.

As the Sandy Hook community and the nation at large grieves for those who were lost on Friday, and try to cope and make sense of what has happened, the last thing we need to hear on the radio is song lyrics about dying young.

Our thoughts, prayers, and deepest condolences are with everyone affected by the Sandy Hook tragedy.

What do you think of Ke$ha’s song plummeting from the charts? Do you agree with the decision to pull the song from the radio? Post a comment and let us know.

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook! Click here for more information about The X Factor. For other great reality TV news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: TheXFactor.

Photo Credit: FOX

Topics: FOX Reality TV Shows, The X Factor |

37 Responses to “Ke$ha’s Song “Die Young” Pulled From Radio Following Sandy Hook Massacre”

1. Jamie Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I’m glad!
    That was a POS song!

2. Cassie Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Yes, I do believe that it was right to puul Ke$ha’s song. No one wants the reminder of dying you.

3. CCsongbird Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Keisha’s song should not be played anytime, anyhow. There is enough violence out in this world without adding negative fueling to those already fragile minds. Music should be uplifting, not dark and destroying.

4. Tiffany M Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 5:23 pm

No. I don’t agree with it. This song came out long before the shooting. Also keep in mind that if a song got pulled everytime something tragic happened there would be no music! I do however agree that alot of music and movies influence people to create heinous acts but I don’t believe that is the only source of the problem!

5. ken Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 5:24 pm

it is not ke$ha falt that she was going to sing that die young song for the killing of those kids its the person that organized the concert.

6. jubilee Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 5:31 pm

DAmmit—im SICK OF DEATH BEING GLORIFIED–yes these “ARTISTS” DONT WANT TO TAKE RESPONSIBLITY for this krap that goes over the airwaves. .. it isnt the GUNS, its what you FEED YOUR MIND with.Get out of the GOTH styles as well with THE skulls and lots of black year around! People, LISTEN UP: this has been going on since the late 1960s at least. If people want to go into the NEO PAGAN rant of CHILD SACRIFICE and ultra drug use, do NOT do it over the ‘free airwaves’. There are TOO MANY out there who are taking these songs SERIOUSLY and have since at least the 1990s when these SHOOTINGS STARTED TO HAPPEN. dont forget: many of these boys were raised in DAYCARE when they needed to be with grandma and mom, daycare is insane: 3 women for 20 kids under the age of 3. Stay home and let your husband/ DAD learn to work for the family

7. Cat Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 5:32 pm

This is ridiculous, the song has nothing to do with death. The entire world doesn’t need to stop turning over one tragedy.

8. Celine Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I agree with it. It’s a stupid song and was already overplayed.

9. Kendra Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Hell no i dont agree and this is not right or fair to Ke$ha or her fans.

10. amy billings Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 5:40 pm

yes i agree totally that ALL radio stations who were airing it should remove it and burn it. I mean for starters the titled is soooo wrong, and i thought that on X factor when she sang it.. I am so not impressed her.

Please keep it off the air, mostly out of respect for the newtown Ct..shooting and out of respect for the families n friends..

11. Erik Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Maybe pull it for 2 days or so…i mean–Did they pull all the rap songs that talk about pulling out a gun and killing people?

12. Mike Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Unfortunate timing for the song to come out. Sure it was a catchy tune for teens of this generation to listen and dance to, but it’s kind of sad that because of something that should never have happened, pop culture is being affected.

13. barbara orcutt Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I personally have not heard the song, but I like kesha and so do my granddaughters, but I guess if you’re going to pull that song then you have to get rid of The Band Perry’s song “If I die young” too. I think all songs should be pulled if you target just one person that talks about dying young. Just my opinion.

14. Alex Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Good this song needed to taken off the radio because ever since this song came 2 of my best friends died. One was on September 25 2012 and just recently December 15 2012. They were only 16, two kids in 3 months how. Every time I hear this song it reminds me of them not alive and I cry when I hear this song when I think of them.

15. TAYLO Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 5:48 pm

you gotta be kidding me!!!

look Im really sorry about what happened up in CT, but pulling a song off a playlist because it contains the lyrics “Die Young” in it??

Im no fan of Ke$ha but christ people…get a fricken grip…

16. Ben Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I like that song, but I can completely understand removing it from radio. After all, if anyone cares to listen to it they can still download it, buy it on CD, or listen to it on youtube.

17. dcb315 Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Will they pull “Only The Good Die Young” Such a tragic loss of life. My prayers go out the families and everyone affected by this senseless crime.

Look at all the movies and songs that are about death and all the violence in those two generas. If your gonna pull that one song by Kesha
    then you should shut the airwaves down!

18. dj Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 5:50 pm

that is ridiculous

19. lukas ciura Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 5:50 pm

i knew this song was fucked up

20. Scott Colby Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 5:52 pm

You have the right to free speech as long as your not dumb enough to actually try it. Glad the conservative republicans can ban what they learned offends them while saying they are the defenders of freedom AND blame those darn Democrats for taking away their rights.

21. Joe Dugan Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 5:57 pm

This is not the first time. Back in 1999, “Everybody’s Free (To wear Sunscreen) was abruptly pull off the radio after the Columbine Shootings.

22. Dani Becker Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 6:02 pm

It doesn’t seem reasonable.

23. Jordan Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I don’t agree. I really love the song, so I don’t think it should have been pulled. It’s an upbeat song and when I listen to it, it just makes me wanna get up and dance. It’s a party song, not one that will make you think about the deaths of those innocent children. I’m sad about that and my thoughts are with those families and the town, but I still don’t think the song should have been pulled.

24. Katherine Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 6:06 pm

This is so stupid. Ke$ha’s song isn’t saying anything bad. All it said is that we should life our days as if we will die young.

25. Rex Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Don’t stop there pull all of them, alone with video games, movies and all other things that are not of Jesus Christ teaching.

26. Patrick Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I think the song plummeted down the charts because they people actually listened to it.

27. J. T. Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 6:36 pm

That song is about ENTERTAINMENT and PARTYING too hard, which leads to DYING YOUNG. Nothing to do with anything in the Sandy Hook Tragedy (may they rest in peace.) What we should pull from the psychotic public is guns. Thank you, listen to lyrics, other than the part where she says Die Young! Music has nothing to do with this tragedy…

28. christine Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 6:45 pm

i think it was kinda stupid to make that song right before. But still, she didn’t know.u can’t blame her.

29. Nicole Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 6:47 pm

That is totally ridiculous to pull this song. If ANY song should’ve been pulled, let’s try “Pumped Up Kicks”. Yes, it was tragic. It’s also tragic that hundreds of children are murdered each year in this country. Where’s the outrage about that? This country kills me the way it picks and chooses whose deaths are important.

30. Nick Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 6:48 pm

The song isn’t even about dying young… This story and the reasons behind it are such garbage. Get some reference into the material before posting on this comment wall. Oblivious people…

31. clyde Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 6:49 pm

people it’s been enough. get over it already. move on.

32. Mike Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 6:51 pm

This is ridiculous. Let’s just blame everything except the person. Everyone wants to ban guns, ban songs…..you know what? Death is a natural part of life. Everyone dies. I’ve been listening to thrash, speed, black & death metal for over 25 years. I don’t own a gun. I’ve never killed anybody. Christians are looney people with a mental illness. They talk to themselves and pray to a fairy tale. They force those fairy tales on their children. They want to force religion into schools and teach fairy tales to young impressionable children. Learn to cope with death and the fact that each of us will one day die in one way or another. Stop the witch hunts. One person mentioned goths. LOL!!! Really? So now all “goths” are suspected mass murderers? Our country is so fucking stupid that it bewilders me how common sense is simply dead in the USA. Blame everyone but the culprit. How about Lanza’s mom. Took her troubled son to a firing range, yet told baby sitters not to turn their back on him? She epitomizes STUPID! There is NO WAY to prevent every tragedy and stop everybody from dying. OK, now excuse me while I go puke….

33. DUHHH! Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 7:43 pm

WOW get over it people! We cant do this to every song when people die. I know its hard and sad kids were gone. I would stilll listen to that song and blast it everywhere because its a SONG!. ………GET OVER IT! so does this mean with every song with DIE should be taken offf?

34. Ivy Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 7:45 pm

either way Ke$ha sucks.

35. anonymus Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 8:11 pm

If you don’t like the fact that the song has been pulled from the radio, go get the CD. Personally, I don’t listen to her music, but I feel the right decision was made

36. DJ Patrick SD Says:
    December 18th, 2012 at 8:29 pm

We are (without a doubt) living in the “AGE OF IGNORANCE”, BUT the Song… is METAPHORICAL! METAPHORICALLY, We die everyday! Does ANYBODY understand ART anymore? IS IS SUPPOSED to be a Song about LIFE and the HUMAN CONDITION. GOD help Planet Earth in the Modern Day. Please PEOPLE WAKE UP! And use the CAPACITY your CREATOR has Blessed you with. IF WE don’t figure it out soon, WE are headed for the World that is portrayed in the movie “IDIOCRACY”, think about it. KESHA, on behalf of the Artists and Musicians of the world, I’M SO SORRY that you have to deal with this. ALWAYS LOVE.

37. Faiza M Says:
    December 19th, 2012 at 1:36 am

This is a very poorly written and slanted article. If you want to write about Ke$ha’s song getting pulled off the radio airwaves then talk about that but do not say what you think pulling it off the airwaves indicates.

In case you’re wondering a news story is supposed to state facts of a particular event and incident. Even if it is editorialized then there is at least there are facts backing this up. All this article focuses is that no one wants to hear a song because of it’s title. Other articles about this same story mention why the song was pulled because the name of the title could offend those that lost their children. Moreover, they mentioned the idea behind the song from Ke$ha as living life to the fullest which is nowhere mentioned in the article. Honestly, your article proves that really anyone can write a blog entry unverfied information.

Comments