Fantasia Barrino’s Gay Marriage Instagram Slur

January 02, 2013 04:36 PM by Donna W. Martin

Former American Idol winner, Fantasia Barrino stirred controversy and sent rumors flying when she posted what many interpreted as an anti-gay marriage slur. Was Barrino making a negative slur toward gay marriage? Or was she simply misinterpreted? Take the jump to find out.

According to E! News, Barrino said, “I Rise ABOVE IT ALL!!! THE WORLD IS GONE MAD. KIDS, THE GOVERNMENT THE church House… Everybody Trying!!!!!!!” she posted on Instagram. “It’s a lot that going on that the Bible speaks about we should Not be doing. Weed legal in some places, Gay Marriage Legal BUT YET IM JUDGED!!! I’m not doing Nothing for you… My Life!!!!”

While we can’t be certain what Barrino is referring to when she said “yet I’m judged,” we do recall accusations claiming she was to blame for the breakup of her baby’s daddy, Antwaun Cook’s marriage, which led to her attempted suicide in August 2010.

Barrino later spoke of the incident on Good Morning America. “I always take a licking and keep on ticking… It just became heavy for me to the point that I just wanted to be away from the noise… There’s so much that people don’t understand. They just see the glitz and the glamour, and they feel like life is so perfect, but we’re human and we go through things,” she said.

Soon after the Instagram message posted, angry comments exploded in response. “Comments made by Ms. Barrino through her Instagram account were recently taken far out of context,” a representative for Barrino wrote. “Ms. Barrino is not now, nor has she ever been an opponent of the LGBT community. She has supported and performed at numerous events that are sponsored by the LGBT community. Whether it’s through a live performance or placement on social media, Ms. Barrino uses every opportunity to reach out and connect with her fans, all of her fans.”

And later, Barrino said, “It has been brought to my attention that something I said was taken out of context,” the Grammy winner noted. “I, Fantasia Monique Barrino, don’t judge anyone because I don’t want to be judged. The gay community is one of my largest supporters. I support the gay community as they support me. Bloggers please stop misrepresenting the facts.”

What do you think of Fantasia’s comment? Did she make an anti-gay marriage slur? Or were her comments misinterpreted? Post a comment and let us know.

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook! Click here for more information about American Idol. For other great reality TV news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: American Idol.

Photo Credit: BET

Topics: American Idol, FOX Reality TV Shows |

43 Responses to “Fantasia Barrino’s Gay Marriage Instagram Slur”

1. JWB Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I think she was just saying there’s a lot going on in the world, and if all that other stuff is OK, why are people judging her so harshly

2. Dee Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 5:02 pm

I saw no slur. She was just making a comparison.

3. richard biggerstaff Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Knocked up teenage mom. What a role model and perfect example of what the bible says we should be doing. While she is regarded as the American Idol winner, she was the biggest loser. Jennifer Hudson was the real winner and has her Oscar to prove it. Get a real life you has been.

4. Elnoa Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 5:06 pm

What see said was not judging. We are writing our own book on what is right and wrong these days. I don’t agree with gay marriage and anyone who truly believes in what a family unit is can’t believe in it either. But I do believe they are good people.

5. Demetairs Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Cats need to chill out and take her word at face value. Ole boy from Seinfeld openly called a cat a n*gger and folks forgave him telling Black Folks we’re too sensitive about that word.

6. Anne Starr Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Hey!! Good for Fantasia! It might surprise you that are many of us that are against gay marriage….including The Bible! Why the shock that anyone would speak out against it? I don’t give a crap about what’s politically correct. Gay marriage offends me. I will never accept it regardless of man’s law. I’m sticking with the God’s law.

7. Carmen Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Just because referred to what is written is in the Bible, I think its funny how you guys refer to it as a slur.

8. Troy Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Sounds more like she had REAL parents…….MORALS are a GOOD thing

9. TROY Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Sounds like she had REAL parents……MORALs are a GOOD thing………not an agenda

10. Lynette Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 5:21 pm

So what if she did make a negative comment. Who is to say that everyone has to approve of gay marriage. I thought the point of it all was to believe in what you want to believe in. She has a right to her opinion just like homosexuals do!

11. Ron Gardner Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 5:22 pm

She just said she didn’t shithead, can’t you read your own article? Why do you clowns insist on taking someones comments, twisting them into something they are not, and then “asking a gazillion strangers to judge someone!”.. !!!!! Fukin idiots.

12. Frosty Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you for saying “baby’s daddy,” and not “baby daddy,” which is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. It’s good to see that someone is able to use correct grammar instead of ghetto-speak.

13. Jon Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 5:24 pm

“There’s so much that people don’t understand. They just see the glitz and the glamour, and they feel like life is so perfect, but we’re human and we go through things,”
    Nobody thinks you’re beyond human, Fantasia, get over yourself!

14. Gary Ross Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Fantasia is an ignorant woman who escaped from the ghetto. She always seems to be slamming someone or some thing. She put down her home town of High Point, NC (which I have lived in and disagreed with her poor opinion of). She seems to be a talented negative thinking person that very few really care about what she thinks.

15. JEM Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 5:30 pm

She can say what she wants to say. It is her opinion. That’s the problem with gays. If you dont agree with their lifestyle they think that you are bashing or homophobic which is not true. You just dont agree. That’s it and that’s all. If you are going to be gay then be gay. Stop looking for the entire world to validate you.

16. WD Cason Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 5:31 pm

I feel that she should have stuck to her words if she said it, because it is in fact the truth. We need to go back to what the Bible states, otherwise we don’t have to worry about people judging us, but God will take care of it. There’s so much fear as to what people will do if you tell the truth, however, “Ye shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free”. According to the Constitution, we also have the freedom of speech, doesn’t mean we hate someone because of it.

17. Your Nemesis Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Typical liberal media

18. dean Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 5:38 pm

shes 100% correct

19. Unimpressed Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Im sorry America, isn’t she allowed to feel negatively against gay marriage if she chooses?

20. LSin Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 5:52 pm

that was def anti-gay. she could of used many other examples.

21. joe david Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 5:52 pm

there’s moral and immoral conduct. homosexuals are children of God; hence, should have dignity. But their conduct is inherently immoral.

22. Tay Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Clearly Ms Barrino made reference to her being judged BUT these other things like legal weed and gay marriage are not (being judged). As if she feels there is an unfairness. Work out your OWN Salvation with fear and trembling. This life we must live is not easy whether you are glitzy and glamorous or NOT. We ALL have our own cross to bear maam, so stop complaining and Thank God that you can shop your pain away. I am a God Fearing Lesbian…Go Figure!! You think you got it bad?

23. Map360 Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 5:58 pm

isn’t this the monkey that could barely talk and came out as being illiterate?

i’m not gay, but i would consider the source before being that offended by this moron.

24. Tee1girl Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Fantasia I support you as a lady that is very misunderstood..I feel you should hgave the right to say what is on your mind..yes you have followers and people that buy your music..but you are still human to speak your mind reguardless of who is offended..I honestly don’t think you meant to offend anyone.Alicia Keys didn’t get the backlash that you have gotten, ewhen she also dated a married man and his wife was a friend of hers also..I defend you Fantasia keep doing you..tell the truth even if it hurts and you do come from a religioud background..people need to understand exactly who you are..

25. greg Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 6:01 pm

IF SHE DID SO WHAT! THE US WHEN FROM A LAND AND HOME OF THE BRAVE TO SOME GAY FAG’S “O”LORD THE POLICES COMING TO GET ME IT’S UNLAWFUL TO SAY FAG OR ABOMINATION OF GODS CREATION I CALL THE ONLY LAW GIVER MOSE’S TO PERFORM A ABORTION ON USAGAY OF THE WORLD AND MAY MY FATHER HAVE NO MERCY ON THE UNNATURAL ABOMINATION AMEN!!!!!

26. Kenya Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Why do people sit around ready to pounce on every word or pic posted by a celebrity??? Even if she does believe that gay marriage is wrong, it’s her right to have that belief. Just because you buy her music (and the majority of people download it ILLEGALLY)does not make you her owner! Get a life!

27. YUUUP Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 6:12 pm

GOOD FOR HER!! Finally, someone stepping up and saying what’s right!!

28. Brian Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Not sure how this is a gay slur. Her opinion maybe. And actually she refers to the Bible regarding this matter. I believe there should be gay marriage but how is this considered a “slur”?

29. Spaceage Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 6:15 pm

WHO CARES!!!!!! It’s her opinion so who really cards what she puts on Instagram?! That’s like her saying she’s against people who put their right shoe on first every day instead of the left, they’re gonna boycott her cause of that too?! The world today is too sensitive!!! Everybody wanna analyze every single word we say, everything we do, the way we look, the way we talk, her opinion is her opinion! Does that mean she doesn’t make good music?! NO IT DOESN’T!!!! Boy oh boy, guess freedom of speech is right out the window, huh? If folks wanna be gay, BE GAY!!!! But don’t expect all of us to like it!!!! I like to drink beer, does that mean that everyone should support me cause I like beer?! NO!!!!! Grow the hell up!!!!!

30. Dirty Red Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 6:17 pm

The people who think she is talking about them personally! Have a serious mental problem! Shes right! If you don’t get your own house together and stop all this unnecessary crying over bull!!! You think stuff is bad now! The worst has not came yet!!! Grow up!!! Ya’ll sound like, if you had a life at one time! It’s very clear now at this moment in time, you really don’t have one now!! That is a life!!! Get one and you may be happier!!! And live and long and prosperous life! The world is very petty!!!!

31. Jenny Baker Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 6:20 pm

I find it interesting that if someone is against gay marriage and expresses it, that it is a SLUR. What happened to tolerance for those with a different opinion? Many believe gay marriage is wrong- that doesn’t make us haters. We just choose to believe the Bible is true.

32. Ande Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Some of the most beautiful people in the world (inside and out) are gay people, but wrong is wrong.

She is correct. This world has gone crazy. Men should not be with men ane women should not be with women. And for society to view gay marriage as if it’s perfectly normaly is truly, crazy.

So no, she wasn’t trying to be insulting. She was just stating the facts.

33. Bert Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 7:02 pm

I have no idea what everyone is so upset about. All she said about gay marriage was that the Bible says it is something we “should not be doing”. I’m sorry my dear LGBT friends, but that is a fact. There are those who might argue today that we should be more open minded than the bible, or we should openly try to be more Politically Correct, but NO ONE can say that the bible doesnt state that! Its amazing what our world has come to that its not PC to state an explicit verse in the bible!

34. linda Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Why is it that the gays can say and do whatever they want, but……LET A CHRISTIAN SAY WHAT THEY BELIEVE AND WANT AND THEY ARE READY TO HANG THEM…SO GET THE ROPE READY…GAY MARRIAGE IS WRONG AND I WILL NEVER AGREE WITH IT OR ACCEPT IT…THIS WILL BE ONE OF THE DOWN FALLS OF AMERICA

35. Milton Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 7:32 pm

What Fantasia is saying is unlike all of you attacking or questioning her posted comment is that she is aware of how evil,wicked,twisted and perverted this nation has become and that with each and every passing day it gets worse.An example of what she is saying is this,look at homosexuality God makes it undeniably clear in his word that it’s an abomination in his sight and that it is he and not man who has sole authority to determine what is good from what is evil but your mind’s are so twisted that you believe it to be the other way around.And I will tell you this as well you can disagree all in the hell you want to with what she and I along with many others are saying but it will not change God word for he is the same yesterday,today and forever,He’s not given to change.

36. Ricardo Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 7:40 pm

I am totally agree with Fantasia and all the prople who rises above the influence not only from drugs, but against moral and biblical values. Fantasia is right when she said her comment was taken out of context, she didn’t judge no one, she only stands for biblical values which Homosexual and lesbian communities are trying so hard to demonize, they are trying to brainwash the society and the laws to ban every biblical concept because The Bible teachings makes them look so bad. The Bible is not judging homosexuals, the Bible is warning homosexuals about their behavior and the physical, moral and spiritual consecuences, and invites them to turn back from that kind of living and to seek the Grace of God and God certainly will forgive them. Bible says: People will try to call what is righteous as bad, and what is bad to call righteous! Way to go Fantasia!

37. Janis Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 7:58 pm

It doesn’t matter if she did or not. She is entitled to her own opinion. But it did not sound like a slur to me. She’s a good person.

38. Ray6955 Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 8:03 pm

As an openly gay person, I am not at all insulted or phased by Fantasia’s comment at all! She is just saying what she explained — all kinds of changes in the world, drastic one to some people, and yet she still is being judged (really “attacked”!) by people for her life. I say ALLELUIA to her and wish her well. She’s being abused here. Hugzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz my Fantasia pal!

39. Gina Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Seems to me like she is making more of a “let he who has not sinned throw the first stone” statement. Like it or not, the Bible most certainly does call homosexuality a sin.

40. me Says:
    January 3rd, 2013 at 1:52 am

Face FULL O Buritto

41. charles Says:
    January 3rd, 2013 at 3:52 am

Fantasia was miss interpreted and someone as always wants to sensationalize it.

42. NOD Says:
    January 3rd, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Why is it if someone doesn’t agree if me then its a slur…instead of a differing opinion.

43. Liz Says:
    January 3rd, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Why is it a slur to express your opinion?

Comments