Jillian Michaels’ Return To Biggest Loser – Love It Or Hate It?

January 07, 2013 07:34 AM by Lisa Princ

Last night was the much awaited season 14 premiere of The Biggest Loser, and while fans watched hoping that we would not see any contestants who remotely reminded us of Conda, all eyes were also on Jillian Michaels, who made her return to the show. Now, fans seem to be split on whether or not bringing back the hardcore trainer was the right move – what do you think?

Jillian Michaels made her return to The Biggest Loser last night with a vengeance. Jillian was very cold and hard on the contestants from the moment they stepped foot in the gym, giving them the option to workout her way or get out. One of those contestants, Nikki, actually took her up on the offer and walked out of the gym, and straight off the ranch!

According to People Magazine, Jillian was hoping to be a softer trainer after becoming a mother. The mom of two said: “Everybody was like, ‘You’re going to be so much softer.’ And I really wanted to be, but it’s not the case.” Despite her harsh demeanor last night, both Bob Harper and Dolvett Quince had better luck with their teams at the weigh in than Jillian’s team did, even though her team won a 5 pound advantage.

Of course, fans seem to split on whether The Biggest Loser should have brought her back or not. Apparently, folks must like Dolvett Quince because he also returned. Personally, I was looking forward to Jillian’s return to see how she would do, but I must admit after speaking to Dolvett Quince in the past, I was excited to see his return as well – he is a really great guy!

Now we want to know what your thoughts are on Jillian Michaels return to The Biggest Loser. Are you glad that she returned, or should they have just left it alone with Bob Harper and Dolvett Quince, and why? Comment below to share your thoughts with us!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook!. Click here for more information about The Biggest Loser. For other great reality TV news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: Reality TV.

Photo Courtesy of NBC

Topics: NBC Reality TV Shows, The Biggest Loser |

15 Responses to “Jillian Michaels’ Return To Biggest Loser – Love It Or Hate It?”

1. paul Says:
    January 7th, 2013 at 8:39 am

She is one of those people I love to hate. I don’t like her apparent lack of feelings at times but she is exactly the type of trainer I would want to whip me into shape. The show was getting boring; I am glad she is back. That woman that walked out gave up on an opportunity many of us would love to have; shame on her.

2. Maggie Says:
    January 7th, 2013 at 8:47 am

What is going on with Jillian. I was ecstatic she came back. She always won. Now she can’t keep her people at the ranch. She lost the first weight challenge. Maybe you are being a little too hard on your group???? Just saying! I thought for sure you would come back and kick butt! Not so much! Bob’s and Dolvett teams both kicked her team’s butt! What is going on Jillian!

3. diane Says:
    January 7th, 2013 at 9:32 am

I hate her…

4. Michael Says:
    January 7th, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Jillian Michaels is the kind of power-mad (BLEEP) that would consider it a compliment to be hated because it would justify her sense of smug superiority. I’m sure she relishes her self-appointed role as a queen bee/_____ Goddess so much that the very fact I am writing to say how much I despise her would just boost her ego more. Michaels is the ugly American, feminist style, although she really gives feminists a bad name. There’s often a Jillian Michaels type at work, the one that administration loves and co-workers despise, although soft and feminine types secretly admire her masculinity. I saw Michaels way before this current schtick on numerous shows, and her obnoxious demeanor seems to be no act. It has little to do with “whipping you into shape” and everything about her own over-the-top self righteousness. There’s barely room on the screen with all those chubby people AND Jillian Michaels’ ego.

5. Carol Says:
    January 7th, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Even though she keeps screaming at her contestants “What is wrong with you?!” I think something is wrong with her. She needs to work through her anger and rage issues, and learn not to take things personally. Both Dolvett and Bob have shown that being a little kinder goes a long way. Same thing happened when Simon Cowell left Idol, you can still have a great show without being such a jerk. I’m sorry to see her back!

6. kelly Says:
    January 7th, 2013 at 6:27 pm

She needs to be fired. These contestants are not only physically ill, but weak emotionally too. She has no understanding, or compassion. She is supposed to be a trainer not a bully. What she gives isnt tough love, it is just her being mean to get some TV time.

7. Wanda Says:
    January 8th, 2013 at 8:45 am

I have been watching this show for years but I will not support a show that has soooo much cursing in it..Jillian just does this to much..and the show is now exposed to children…not good..

8. Betty Says:
    January 8th, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Jillian expects severely out-of-shape people to perform way beyond their capacity. When they get sick and have to stop exercising she heaps them with humiliation and abuse. Meanwhile, the show self-righteously proclaims that it is “challenging America” and is meant to help and inspire. The hypocrisy is astonishing.

9. BJ Says:
    January 10th, 2013 at 12:07 am

Schools are doing so much with Anti bully education and awareness. Jillian Michaels is a bully. I would never allow my children to watch the show now that she is back.
    Bob and Dolvett are strict and Kick butt, but never ever humiliate the contestants. It made me sick to watch her. The show was so much better with out her.
    NBC fire her

10. SFGrynch Says:
    January 10th, 2013 at 5:23 pm

She is out of control. Humiliation has no place in motivation. Her tactics are clearly failing. Get rid of her, or I may not watch. If her whole team is eliminated per the current trend now that she only has 2 of 5 remaining after 2 episodes, boot her bully ass along with the contestants.

11. diane Says:
    February 19th, 2013 at 6:39 am

Too much screaming. I was in a different room yesterday from where the television is and all I could hear was Jillian screaming at someone. I promptly went in and turned off The Biggest Loser. This is NOT Jerry Springer, I do not want to watch people screaming at each other’ Jillian is a bully and I ask why do I have to watch her. Answer, I DON’T. Although I enjoy watching the contestants succeed in their weight lose struggle, I can’t stand watching people being bullied. The screaming is just too much. Let there be Peace.

12. Ali Says:
    February 23rd, 2013 at 3:27 pm

I agree with all of the comments above. I am a trainer and I find that people losing weight also really struggle with confidence and cursing at them and ranting and raving like a mad woman consistently on a day-to-day basis is the worst thing you can do to them. As a trainer, you have to find a way to get the best out of them while being positive and encouraging and if you can’t do that and you have to stoop to a negative level, you should not be training anyone.
    Jillian gets so aggressive until she literally breaks them down and reduces them to nothing and then she plays the victim like they are ruining their chance to be there with their behavior and somehow the contestant always ends up feeling bad and Jillian is right?
    One of the things I love about the Biggest Loser is that it has good stories and provides an encouraging, positive environment for people to lose weight. Jillian is inappropriate, negative, and as someone else said above- she is a bully of the worst kind and a terrible example for anyone watching the show.
    The other trainers are really awesome and I just don’t understand why NBC would ever bring her back.

13. fitnesslover Says:
    June 16th, 2013 at 5:32 pm

After reading these comments, months after Jillian’s win yet again with Danni Allen as the Biggest Loser, I am apalled by how ignorant people really are. First of all, I think there is already a disgusting animosity towards female trainers and only the utmost respect for male trainers. I do believe there is an unconscious discrimination towards female trainers, especially by women (or queer men) which is the sad part. I’d understand that Kim, Anna, and Cara were clearly not matched to a great level but Jillian’s almost undefeated track record of wins and success stories prove her to be the BEST trainer on the show. I just think that we should really examine ourselves and be conscious about the attitudes we choose towards the people that we should be uplifting the most.

Second of all, Jillian is NOT a bully. In fact she was the total opposite. She herself was overweight and was a victim of bullying when she was young. She also had to deal with a stressful divorce and financial problems. She understands what these contestants are going through. But it wasn’t until that she was tough with herself and she trained with a tough martial arts master that she was able to accomplish her success as an athlete and a trainer. Her and her mother were able to turn there lives around as her mother became a psychotherapist and Jillian worked her ass off to compete and win in martial arts competitions, become a certified trainer at 17, and pick up a side job as a bartender to support herself through college. With her personal struggle, and her passion for the psychology behind weight loss, she is actually being the opposite of being a bully to the contestants. She teaches the contestants that the only bully victimizing them is the one inside their minds saying that they can’t do anything. This is tough love!

When I see disgusting comments like the one like this, I lose hope for the future generations because the only negativity is coming from the people that lose sight of the powerful impact of tough love. That is why we see America’s children becoming more and more spoiled each day. This is also why parents are afraid to control their children in any aspect of their lives: including weight management. Some adults grow up and never mature but Jillian is only acting as the mature, adult role model that a lot of these adults with weight problems never had because they were never given tough love. A parent that doesn’t discipline doesn’t truly love their child. Anyway, Jillian may not have the most attractive personality that people want to be around, but she has plenty of dedication, heart, and plenty of experience and skills that Bob and Dolvett, as much as I like them, will never have. I truly believe that Jillian is the best trainer and the fact that more and more contestants become afraid/threatened of her disciplined training style is a true testament to the downwards spiral in America when it comes to that value. The future generations are in deep trouble.

Might I add also that Jillian’s attitude towards the contestants on the show doesn’t happen out of no where. Crafty editing by the producers make it seem that once she gets her contestants, she starts screaming out of no where which is not the case. Jillian clearly states that it is only when they do not perform to their potential that she toughens her demeanor in order to deliver that impact that will keep them going. Jillian has gotten annoyed at the producers for portraying her the way they did, which is why she left for season 3, but ultimately came back because she loved her job and working with the contestants so much that, out of pure selflessness, decided to just deal with her portrayal and even embrace it in acknowledgement that it’s to attract viewers.

People need to realize that reality TV can be the furthest thing from reality at times. It can be very nasty because they sometimes favor certain people over others (for personality, the most important component in reality TV, which Bob excels in, with his bubbly gay male personality, acting experience, and all, and Jillian needs work in, with her slightly boyish personality) so they do not show the whole story but people, you should really take the time to research and find out her side of the story. You all should be smart enough to question if she seems like such a bully, then why does everyone that meet her like her so much and are thankful for her help to the point of preferring her out of anyone. She really is quite a calm soul in person, I got the chance to meet her once. Her training style outside of the competition is quite relaxed and enjoyable as well, though it still does retain discipline.

You have to understand too that it is a competition where people don’t have time to lose. With obese contestants with no self-discipline, you don’t have time to be nice to everyone and get to know them on a deeper level when every little bit counts towards the next weigh-in. She’s definitely not perfect because she’s human so yes, she does stress out a bit for her contestants’ sake but it is not out of pure spite, it is out of pure selflessness.

Jillian’s selfishness also reaches out to her adoption of the beautiful girl from Haiti who survived the earthquake. One could really tell that she just loves that little girl as if it were her own. If no one can look past reality TV’s editing and admire her for her beautiful heart, then people need to reevaluate themselves, take the time to learn about manipulative editing, and may actually benefit the most with a “beating” from Jillian LOL.

14. Phillips Says:
    July 10th, 2013 at 9:16 am

There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to yell and scream like she does. She isn’t dealing with animals, they’re people. They already feel terrible and she is only making it worse. I understand that some of them need a wake up call and need to be reminded of why they are there and need to be talked to in a harsh way,but she carries it to the extreme. She does nothing but yell, scream and insult her team in a totally absurd manner. Bob and Dolvett never do this and they always get their point across and produce winners. She is trying to act tougher than the guys and is looking like an idiot in doing this. She needs to get a grip and calm down. The show was better without her yelling, screaming and her ridiculous insults. She was much better when she was on before.

15. Rab Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I will not watch any show with this woman, win or lose, on it. She reminds me of the mean gym teachers I had in Jr High that motivated me to avoid organized physical activities forever. I remained active with biking, hiking, and other individual sports, but this sort of cruelty is not for me. From the script of “The Prime of Jean Brodie”–”For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like.” That’s why there are so many different shows on TV!
    I have to thank her. When she was on The Doctors, I switched to Dr. Oz. Much better!

Comments