Nicki Minaj…American Idol Fans Aren’t Too Happy!

January 18, 2013 03:00 PM by Megan Wilson

Nicki Minaj may have been picked by the producers of American Idol to inject some Simon Cowell-esque pizazz to the show, but based on viewer’s response to the addition, it seems as if they producers have failed…miserably.  Fans have been complaining about Minaj from the start of this season, and after the premiere on Wednesday, those remarks escalated to fever pitch.

Nicki Minaj joined American Idol this season along with Mariah Carey, Keith Urban, and returning judge Randy Jackson.  Rumors proved true about a spat between Nicki and Mariah, and the whole world has been watching it unfold.  Nicki reportedly even threatened to shoot Mariah after one of their verbal spars, and in turn, Mariah upped her security team.  While Mariah and Nicki may be playing nice for now, American Idol fans are ready for Nicki to take the exit like so many American Idol hopefuls.

Nicki was worried about how she would be perceived on the show, and it’s proving to be a major issue.  Viewers have been tweeting and writing up a storm about Nicki’s performance alongside the other judges:

@LiseMerle: “5 minutes into American Idol and I wish Keith Urban would hit Nicki Minaj. With Mariah Carey. ”

@emdeazyyy: “Nicki Minaj judging American Idol is like Stevie Wonder judging a beauty pageant. okay.”

@divine_l0VA: “It’s official. It’s the last season of American Idol because Nicki Minaj is gonna drive the show right down the drain.”

@smileykyl33: “Why is nicki minaj a host of American idol? Her “singing” is equivalent to a bag of sand.”

A quick search of Twitter uncovers a plethora of disparaging tweets regarding the newest judge.  Whether it’s her off-the-beaten-path fashion sense, or her confrontational demeanor, Nicki seems to be left out in the cold when it comes to camaraderie among the judges.  Personally, I think this will be the ONLY season Nicki is on American Idol.  What do you think?  Let us know in the comments!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook! Click here for more information about American Idol. For other great reality TV news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: American Idol.

Photo Credit: FOX

Topics: American Idol, FOX Reality TV Shows, Simon Cowell |

16 Responses to “Nicki Minaj…American Idol Fans Aren’t Too Happy!”

1. Esther Troast Says:
    January 18th, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I have been a fan of American Idol since it’s start, fifteen minutes into Wednesday night show I switched channels and have no intentions of going back. It was horrible, Nikki whoever needs to be gone sooner than later or the show will not make it

2. jaknp Says:
    January 18th, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Nicki will and is destroying what is left of the show. If they do not get rid of this illiterate joke, it will be the last season!!!!!

3. laura Says:
    January 18th, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Without question….Nicki is ruining American Idol!!
    I can’t watch the show anymore.

4. Peggy Sawyer Says:
    January 18th, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Please, please,please get Nicki off the show. She is ruining what used to be sheer entertainment for my entire family. She needs to go. No one wants to hear her. EVERYONE I talk to says they will not watch the show anymore because of her.So sad to let one person ruin a wonderful show.Please send her home before you lose your ratings. Seriously, No ONE likes her.

5. rosewood11 Says:
    January 18th, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Nicki Minaj is a tacky woman. I’m not impressed with her at all. She has moments where she seems kind to the contestants, but if you watch it nearly always brings the attention back around to her. I give Mariah Carey props for not allowing the “spirit of slap” that she’s got to be feeling take over because I wanted to slap Nicki into next year within five minutes of the show starting. My recommendation to the producers is “duck tape” over Nicki’s mouth.

6. Thomas Parham Says:
    January 19th, 2013 at 10:58 am

I am a fan of Nicki Minaj and some of her music but this is just not for her at all to me i been riding with her since 2007 before all of this fame and to me it seems that she has evolved into some kind of real live monster the way she presents herself sometimes does not resemble the Nicki Minaj that i have been a fan of for over 6 years it is just pissing me off that she cant calm the fuck down and be “regular” in the way she used to be Nicki everybody is missing the old you i think you should just calm down and be a little more relateable to people again before you ruin yourself and make all of your core 2007 and beyond fans leave you because of what you are morphing into come on Nicki i love you girl and i feel like i am losing you , you used to be an inspiration but you are starting to turn my stomach but i am not a quitter so i wont stop checking for you and respecting you its just me and everyone i know who has been riding with you from the begining miss the REAL you please let Onika Tanya Maraj come out and play again………

7. Marie Says:
    January 20th, 2013 at 4:15 pm

This is to add some “Simon flavor”? Really?? You gotta be kidding me! Simon can NEVER be replaced. I’d rather have JLo who gives constructive criticisms in a very kind, at the same time, professional manner, than have someone there who tries too hard to be harsh when, clearly, her opinions don’t even have a lot of weight because she’s not as respectable in the industry as Simon Cowell. He’s in an entirely different level! And she’s just not there — not even close. They should really get rid of her and not let just one person ruin a once very wonderful show!

8. What Says:
    January 21st, 2013 at 4:37 am

Who’s commenting on these articles? The author sounds like they have 5 aliases. I like how they forgot to mention Nicki refuted those gun statements Mariah camp released and pulling 5 negative tweets out from twitter hardly counts as backlash. This article is trash

9. Truthsayer Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 8:58 am

Wow at this artical and all these Mariah fans. Nicki is the reason I’m watching. This show hasn’t been entertaining since Fantasia season. So I’m back to watching Idol because Nicki brings truth warmth and beauty!

10. SpeakOut Says:
    January 24th, 2013 at 9:03 am

I would prefer that Nicki Minaj not be a judge. Based on just what I have seen aired on American Idol she strikes me as rude, unprofessional, tacky, and disrespectful. I think she should try to focus on what being a judge entails. She seems like a mess. The useless negativity that Nicki brings to the show far outweighs anything positive. I would like to see the panel consist of only Randy, Mariah, and Keith.

11. Speak Out Says:
    January 24th, 2013 at 9:04 am

I would prefer that Nicki Minaj not be a judge. Based on just what I have seen aired on American Idol she strikes me as rude, unprofessional, tacky, and disrespectful. I think she should try to focus on what being a judge entails. She seems like a mess. The useless negativity that she brings to the show far outweighs anything positive. I would like to see the panel consist of only Randy, Mariah, and Keith.

12. Nick Says:
    January 25th, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Read the Fb posts on the AI page.. nobody wants her there

13. Not A Mariah Fan But... Says:
    January 30th, 2013 at 8:20 pm

…Nicki seriously sucks as a judge. She strikes me as jealous of all the contestants who can sing and then mouths sarcastic “praise” at them that is more rude than her coming out and telling the truth; that she can’t stand that they have more talent than her.
    She lets her personal insecurities get in the way of being a professional judge and an adult.
    This isn’t a high school talent show, grow the F up!

14. Dan Says:
    February 14th, 2013 at 9:31 am

Nicki is probably one of the worst judges in the history of ANY show i’ve ever seen. Last night she put through a contestant that did not even know the lyrics to a song, while the other judges did not want to she clearly strong armed the issue and got her way. After that, I went to the TV, cancelled recording the show and scheduled it to record the new show on Thursday nights called Zero Hour which looks awesome.. whats the message here? Until she is gone… in my home Idol is GONE…. Can’t Stand Her… Mariah shows some class.. that is the way it is done

15. greg wolf Says:
    March 9th, 2013 at 12:58 am

Minaj or whatever her name is made me tune out Idol this year. She has turned the judging into a freak show! I can’t believe it took 15 minutes for some of the commenters to turn the show off . . . I never turned it on after seeing the stupid previews!

16. francesca harrison Says:
    November 1st, 2013 at 2:19 pm

listen i don’t have nothing against Miss Minaj, accept her attitude problems she is blessed with the dream job of all dream jobs and she never satisfy.

Comments