March 12, 2013 07:15 AM by Donna W. Martin
A 12-year-old unidentified boy has confessed to the October 12 swatting prank pulled on Punk’d star, Ashton Kutcher. And as it turns out Kutcher wasn’t his only target. Swatting is a serious crime and the boy now faces charges. Keep reading for more details.
According to FOX, the 12-year-old boy from Southern California admitted to committing a swatting prank against Ashton Kutcher while he was on the set of Two and a Half Men sending police, emergency personnel, and Kutcher rushing to his residence.
The boy’s call to police said there were individuals inside Kutcher’s home who had explosives and guns, and that several people had already been shot at the location. But of course, when the police department, other emergency workers, and Kutcher arrived, they found nothing out of the ordinary.
But the boy’s swatting pranks didn’t stop there. He also targeted Justin Bieber’s Calabasas home as well as a bank. Again sending teams of police and emergency personnel to locations where nothing was happening and keeping them from actual emergencies elsewhere.
The police said that swatting is typically done by professional computer hackers using online skills to make the fake reports but in this case, it was done by a 12-year-old boy just looking to have some fun at the expense of others. Swatting is a serious and dangerous crime that puts the lives of police, other emergency personnel, and any persons inside the targeted address in grave danger.
The boy in this case has not been identified at this time because he is a juvenile and will be prosecuted as a juvenile. According to a representative for the Los Angeles County district attorney, the boy will be sentenced for the crime of swatting by a juvenile judge in his home county.
What do you think of the Kutcher swatting prank? And what type of punishment should the boy responsible for the crime receive? We know you have an opinion so sound off in the comments and let us hear it.
Photo Credit: MTV