American Idol Hits All Time Low In Ratings – Is Nicki Minaj To Blame?

March 30, 2013 01:00 PM by Lisa Princ

This week on American Idol, the singing competition, which used to be very popular, hit a milestone that no show ever wants to see – its lowest ratings EVER! With all the drama surrounding her, we can’t help but wonder if Nicki Minaj is to blame?

In the past few seasons, American Idol has been slowly declining in ratings, but this week, the show hit an all time in ratings, dipping to just 11 million viewers. That’s nearly 3 million less viewers than fellow singing competition, The Voice saw for its return this week, which also happened to be up against Dancing With The Stars. Uh oh, looks like there may be a new number one singing show if this keeps up.

In any event, we can’t help but wonder if the drop in ratings has to do with the new judges, or particularly, Nicki Minaj? If you scour the web, you will find that the majority of fans do not like Minaj, and do not think she belongs on the show. Viewers were less than pleased when Minaj showed up late a few episodes ago, and rumor has it that Minaj has been angering the other judges with her attitude, and the fact that she is never on time. Should she get the boot?

What do you think about the decline in ratings on American Idol? Do you think getting rid of Nicki Minaj would help, or is the show just doomed at this point? We know you have an opinion and we want to hear it! Comment below to share your thoughts with us.

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook! Click here for more information about American Idol. For other great reality TV news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: American Idol.

Photo Credit: FOX

Topics: American Idol, FOX Reality TV Shows |

38 Responses to “American Idol Hits All Time Low In Ratings – Is Nicki Minaj To Blame?”

1. Jolene Brown Says:
    March 30th, 2013 at 2:30 pm

I quit watching after seeing Nicki Minaj and her strange behavior. I like the other judges, although I believe that Randy needs to go. Love the other two new judges, they actually TRY! Nicki is a detriment to the program and should have never been hired. She has nothing to say that is worth hearing and I can’t stand her cute little “cupcake” and other sayings when talking to the contestants. She needs to bow out now, before the show goes down the tubes totally!

2. Davin Peterson Says:
    March 30th, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Maybe it was a mistake to hire Nicki Miinaj. The show has worked well with 3 judges, so why do they have to have 4?

Also, the format of the show is too slow. On the results show they had 3 performances before revealing the results. The results show is to get the results not for performances. I would prefer it be half hour with just one performance.

It took them along time to go from 100 to 40 to 20 to 10 and I didn’t like it, where as The Voice is much quicker. Idol drags on with too many commercials

3. David Says:
    March 30th, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I think she is the reason
    She is the reason we are not watching this season

4. angel Says:
    March 30th, 2013 at 5:00 pm

nicki is not to blam people found something else is watch

5. Eunice Says:
    March 30th, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Get rid of Nikki!!
    She is a disgrace to entertainment.
    When young people are doing something right, we do not need arrogant ignorant people to pull them down. Nikki should be ashamed of her self for her immature critical assessments and her disrespect toward Mariah Carey. She should pray she will some day be as talented.

6. heather vargas Says:
    March 30th, 2013 at 6:22 pm

i feel nikki minaj should just be removed she is on her phone most of the time if she is not rolling her eyes at the contestants or degrading someone and really she has no room to make comments to anyone nor the musical background to have ever been placed as a judge she has been acting like a child since the beginning of the show

7. exo Says:
    March 30th, 2013 at 9:02 pm

nobody wants to watch their pathetic diva cat fights on that show ! If they love themselves so much then they should create a reality show where they spend the whole time talking about themselves or making everything about themselves . At least Mariah Carrey I can forgive : she has nothing to prove musically speaking , but Nicky Minaj ? who the F*** is Nicky Minaj ?!!!! Fire her and save your show !!!!!

8. Mimi Says:
    March 31st, 2013 at 5:36 am

I’m an avid fan of American Idols. I think Nicki should go. She doesn’t have right manners and conduct, especially when her co judges are talking, she always makes faces. not a good role model for the million kids watching.she’s pulling AI down.

9. Jolene Benner Says:
    March 31st, 2013 at 10:34 am

I have been one of those Idol fan who NEVER missed a show-year after year. I saw all of them. But this week I stopped. I am not watching it anymore. There is so much negativity on the show that it is just unappealing-life is full of negativity and this was one place I could always come for a chance to “feel good” for awhile.

The ratings are going down and will continue to go down until they turn around that feeling. Keith and Ryan are the only genuine ones on the show.

I am very sad.

10. Eric Says:
    March 31st, 2013 at 6:32 pm

I’ll have to say, I’ve always enjoyed American Idol, that is until This season. I watched one episode and almost threw up. Yes, Nicki Minaj, a/k/a Drag Queen, a/k/a I think that’s really a dude, a/k/a I’m about to lose my dinner that’s really gross, started on the show. I have never once watched the show and never will. You need to get rid of her, but more seriously I’d look into getting rid of the Einstein who hired her!!

11. Phyllis Slater Says:
    March 31st, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Yes i think Mindy is draging the show down,she is
    so dumb,Why does she keep looking aways from Randy
    and have her back from him.My son and his family has already stopped watching.

12. Johnny Says:
    March 31st, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Dump nikki NOW, Her attitude sucks and I am not going to watch anymore as long as she is there

13. addie smith Says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 3:04 am

shes an idiot, because of her i dont get involved anymore. yall picked less talented boys so the gals could win. yall think we are stupid

14. Linda W Says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 6:11 am

Nicki ruins it for me. Kids watch this show. Large part of your fan base are kids. Is this really the role model you want representing your show.

I would watch because I like the other judges. She just makes me so mad.

15. annie feckler Says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 7:32 am

The show is about singers, not judges. Too much time is given to judges comments if there are 4 judges. Nicki thinks she is the star. Let her go back to her own universe.
    Also, the producers think that pimping the show so a girl wins is good. I think they goofed.
    Why watch if the outcome is predetermined and candidates that get voters interested are not competing weekly.
    At least every singer this year was pretty good. Maybe not outstanding but not bad.

16. jo johnson Says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 10:02 am

I hit the remote everytime the I see nicki coming into the screen. Often times I get involved in another show and forget to tune back. Can’t stand her comments and voice. Her showing up late and walking off is unexceptable behavior in my “book.”

17. Madelaine Friddle Says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 10:14 am

Nicki Minaj is just the most unbelievably worst person you all have put on this otherwize decent show! The sound of her voice is worse than nails on the chalkboard! She has no real talent, her opinions are rude, senseless and totally missing the whole point of the context of this show! Before this show goes completly in the sewers the powers that be should revamp their thinking regarding who they hire as a judge and what qualifications they need to have to even be in the running! Since this was the first show of the season with Nicki on it, it is obvious she was a solid mistake to put her in the judges chair. I agree with the person who said the show moves too slow, with all the nonsense going on between the judges of course it’s going to take two hours to get through it! Unfortunately I will not watch until Minaj is gone! Thanks for putting a judge on who has the talent of a nat! Just not worth my time!!

18. Marc Says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 10:38 am

I really like Nicki Manji but her attitude and behavior on air warrants her being dropped from the show. She was late and missed the first performance of a show without even an apology for her cast members, contestants, or audience. She repeatedly is disrepsectful – rolling eyes, texting, and turning her back to others. Its time for her to go.

19. Sharon Says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 11:45 am

I actually like Nikki! She is honest and gives great insights. Yes, she is different and quirky, but if you really listen to her, she has a lot of worth while stuff to say. Mariah is the one that should go! She rambles and rambles, and says nothing! Tells everyone they look great and she loves them, but takes 5 minutes to say it. Mariah is the one that slows the show down. She is so in love with herself! And please! Put the boobs away!

20. Carrie Says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I have been an avid American Idol fan for years. Nicki needs to go. I stopped watching it as much, because I can’t stand her attitude and stupid faces she makes. Half the time, she isn’t even looking at the contestants, she has a pouty face looking off at different directions and constantly rolling her eyes!! Everyone I talk to about AI..feels the same way I do about Nicki. I do love Keith Urban and Mariah is alright! Save the show and get rid of Nicki!!!!!!!

21. Mary Says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 6:22 pm

OMGOSH!!! Get rid of Nicki…. she is a definite NO to Idol…. really… can’t you do better than that? I miss some of the old judges but do enjoy MC and our country darling!!

22. Jen Says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Nicki Minaj has no class. She’s tried changing her look to get taken seriously, and it’s not working, she really needs to change her attitude!!! The fact that she’s tweeting negative comments toward elimated contestant Devin shows how immature she is!! Ugh, she’s so disgusting!!!

23. Jen Says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Nicki needs to quit or get booted!!! She arrived to a live show 15 minutes late, I mean REALLY does she work for Idol or does Idol work for her?

24. TONNIE Says:
    April 2nd, 2013 at 12:13 pm

NICKI NEEDS TO G0!!! SHE IS THE ONE BRINGING DOWN THE RATINGS !!! YOU HAVE TO HAVE TALENT TO JUDGE TALENT…. SHE DOESN’T EVEN HAVE CLASS..SHE IS VERY NAUSEATING, ME & MY HUSBAND WOULD NEVER MISS THE SHOW UNTIL THAT THING CAME ALONG… WILL NOT EVER WATCH AGAIN UNTIL NICKI IS GONE..!!! I HAVE A ROCK OUT IN MY YARD THAT COULD BETTER THAN HER… SHE SAID SHE WAS GOING TO LEAVE IF CHARLIE LEFT, WHY DIDN’T YOU LET HER GO THEN…SHE’S AN IDIOT WITH NO TALENT HERSELF, UNLESS YOU CONSIDER ROLLING YOUR EYES, A TALENT ….GET RID OF HER..!!!

25. Anne Kimbrough Says:
    April 2nd, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Nikki is the reason I’m not watching this year. I have watched every episode since Season 2 but refuse to watch as long as she is on the show. Its a shame because I think there is some talent. But it is obvious they want a female winner. Don’t like the manipulation.

26. fudgecake Says:
    April 3rd, 2013 at 3:50 am

The problem isn’t Nikki or anyone, it’s the lack of chemistry between them. There’s no spark that makes them interesting to watch. The other problem is that none of the contestants is that great either. The entire show lacks chemistry or the x-factor this season. It’s good but boring.

27. Nickiminajiskillingamidol Says:
    April 3rd, 2013 at 7:45 am

I have watched every minute of every episode of every season….except for this year. I refuse to watch the show that I love being destroyed by a talentless person like Nicki Minaj. Hope that changes are made next season to make American Idol more watchable.

28. Pat Says:
    April 3rd, 2013 at 9:24 am

I haven’t looked at one of my favorite shows “American Idol”
    since, this crazy looney tune Nicki Manji appeared from the dead. What a RUDE. Character! You have no idea what the heck she’s. talking about? When she is gone? I will continue, watching my favorite show! Love the other three, though!

29. Gart Says:
    April 4th, 2013 at 12:37 pm

She is disrespectful to Mariah and mark my words look at AI season 8 with mariah carey mentoring she would be totally different but she was oppenly opposed by Nicki Minaj and outwardly critizied. However, lets not be unfair. Nicki Minaj does judge the contestants well.

30. Sherry Says:
    April 4th, 2013 at 1:05 pm

I am so sick of this Manji who screams and doesn’t like the singers in what they wear or not. She has NO CLASS and is very Rude all the time. American Idol better wake up and do a better job of selecting their Judges. Keith is by far the best.
    It just anin’t what it use to be and I am sick of Manji’s attitude ! I have been an idol watcher back when Kelly won! Soon to move to the Voice.

31. Rick Says:
    April 6th, 2013 at 12:35 pm

The reason for Idol’s decline is not Minaj.
    It’s Nigel Lythgoe.
    Idol has lost millions of viewers and steadily declined in viewers and quality ever since Lythgoe took over control of the show.
    It’s not the judge’s fault – its Lythgoe’s fault.
    His obvious attempts at manipulating the show and the results have made the show phony and rigged.
    The only way to save Idol is to give Nigel the axe and bring in someone new to run the show.

32. Carolyn McNutt Says:
    April 10th, 2013 at 6:51 pm

I so rejoiced when JLO left, I thought nothing could be worse than her until Nikki Manaj. I cannot stand her and I cannot watch it while she’s on and its a shame because I really enjoy Keith Urban, I think he is excellent and Mariah was a very pleasant surprise. She has class and manners. Nikki has dumbed down the show and made it trailer trash fare. Not that theres anything wrong with trailers, but there is something wrong with her.

33. Connie Hardt Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Nikki is not the only problem. She can share part of the blame for low ratings with Mariah. Jimmy Iovine is another proiblem. Get rid of all three of them! In fact why have ‘judges’ at all? Take a page from the Voice and have people who are encouraging to the kids. When the program first started, there was no Jimmy and the kids did just fine.

34. Connie Hardt Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 2:42 pm

The show is supposed to be about the contestants not the judges. It is also becoming obvious that the voting is manipulated. Mariah is so sickening with all her putting on airs like she thinks she is a queen. No one wants to watch a show where big mean grownups? make kids cry. The producers and sponsors had better get their heads out of their a***** and make some changes beofre Idol is just a memory

35. Mike Says:
    April 11th, 2013 at 5:38 pm

It is Clear that Lazaro is not a singer and I believe this is the reason for the down turn in ratings for this show. I think if Lazaro is put through one more time on tonights show 4/11/13, we will see a downturn like we’ve never seen. This shows creditably will then be so low, it may never recover. This is the first performance ever where the band changed key and the singer did not. That’s unheard of in Live performance on TV.

36. Ann Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 10:03 am

Nicki Minaj has to go or American Idol will be history. She’s disgusting; and how Fox considers her a “celebrity” judge is beyond comprehension. Her idea of entertaining is raunchy and she is a horrible role model. I’ve been an American Idol fan since day one; however,I now turn the station when it comes on. I WILL NOT watch such trash on television!!

37. gayle reynolds Says:
    April 16th, 2013 at 10:57 am

Nicki talks too much and thinks she’s a deva. Get rid of her. Keith Urban is the best judge. Critics and thats all.

38. chuck Says: