Nicki Minaj Defends Her Blunt American Idol Judging Style

April 14, 2013 01:15 PM by Stephanie Gustafson

Nicki Minaj is clearly the Simon Cowell of American Idol this season — that is to say, she’s a polarizing figure who has garnered quite a bit of controversy on the show. But she believes that it’s better to have someone on the panel who will say what she thinks instead of sugarcoating every bit of feedback.

There is some truly amazing talent on the current season of American Idol, as is evidenced by the vocally gifted gals who remain in the competition. But most of this season’s attention has been directed not at the talent, but at new judge Nicki Minaj. Nicki is blunt to a fault, even when this harsher style of critiquing angers fans of the show. And according to the rapper-singer, that’s a good thing.

Nicki recently explained to The Hollywood Reporter that, although she can be a bit harsh at time, she still really does care about the contestants. “I know that sometimes when I speak in a really blunt way like I do, people take that as me not loving and caring about these people. But I really do, I feel like they’re family to me. But I feel like I’m not doing them a service if I blow smoke up their ass, and I just refuse to do that.”

And although she was not exactly making an effort to keep recently eliminated contestant Burnell Taylor in the game, Nicki did cry after he was eliminated. “Burnell, not only did he have such a beautiful story, but he had such a unique voice and unique spirit. So yeah, those tears were real for Burnell.”

Do you think Nicki Minaj has been a good addition to the American Idol judging panel? Leave a comment and let us know!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook! Click here for more information about American Idol. For other great reality TV news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: American Idol.

Photo Credit: FOX

Topics: American Idol, FOX Reality TV Shows |

13 Responses to “Nicki Minaj Defends Her Blunt American Idol Judging Style”

1. Alex Says:
    April 14th, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Good for you Nicki! It is so refreshing to see a judge speak what is on her mind after a performance! She is doing a great job. Nicki and Keith have both been great additions to the show. Hopefully, next season they will do a reboot and get more current themes or do away with theme-weeks altogether. Looking forward to seeing Nicki and Keith on the panel next year. I would love to see a 3 person panel with Nicki/Keith and current mentor Jimmy. Jimmy is another person that seems willing to tell it like it is, and it could be interesting to see Nicki and Jimmy disagreeing on the panel next year and then hug after their all-in-good-fun disagreement is over with.

2. Paul Schroeder Says:
    April 14th, 2013 at 3:06 pm

I think she is the worst thing that has EVER happened to American Idol.. I like the show, but since she has been on I hate the show… she speaks and I turn off the sound and would like to slap her for some of the comments or looks she makes when one of the other judges doesnt like what SHE says…. GET RID OF HER….. Bring back Simon, bring back Tyler, bring back ANYONE but get rid of her…

3. PWT Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 2:02 pm

I tried to give Minaj a chance, but her unprofessional behavior (being late for the first live show), eye-rolls when Mariah is talking, really silly comments to the contestants (I want to eat you up, I want to have your babies, buttermilk waffles and aunt Jamima syrup, etc.) and her constantly trying to make the show all about Nick Minaj, has left me cold this season. I really like some of the contestants and Candice is one of the best performers Idol has ever seen, but I now find myself preferring The Voice a lot more. The judges/coaches on that show are much more enjoyable to watch and the contestants are superior to Idol’s, for the most part. Idol may have been the first to make these kind of viewer interactive shows popular, but it is no longer the best show of it’s type any longer, IMO. While Idol has always been scripted and manipulated, never before has it been so glaringly obvious as it has been this year with the producers desire to have a girl win. I think that this, combined with the hiring of Minaj as a judge, has turned off a lot of long time, loyal fans of the show…hence the ratings drop. But Nigel Lythgoe has such a large ego, he will not admit he and his fellow producers made some mistakes this year nor address these issues and has said that he would like Minaj to return next year. Bye-bye Idol!

4. Rosewood11 Says:
    April 15th, 2013 at 4:25 pm

I started watching American Idol this year under duress because I didn’t care for what I knew of Nicki Minaj. However, I’ve come to like her style quite a bit. She gives real information to the contestants, and they need to know what she sees and hears. She is not unkind unless she thinks her advice is ignored, and then she has be blunt. I’m glad I kept watching, though, because my opinion of Nicki has changed completely. I’m not going to run out and buy her records because she’s not my style, but I will listen to what she has to say as a person.

5. Gigi Says:
    April 17th, 2013 at 1:00 am

she has got to go.

6. Lis Lybing Says:
    April 17th, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Nicki should pack her bags and never come back to the show. Her comments are sometimes so stupid and has nothing to do with the singing. I can’t believe in one show she said: “Oh I love you so much, I could eat you” what kind of a judge talks like that…or “Do you have a girlfriend?” Or some stupid comments on a blouse that was “busty”. Who cares, the show is down in ratings….this is why.

7. Sharon Says:
    April 17th, 2013 at 5:00 pm

I think Nicki is doing a great job. She’s honest and gives great constructive criticism. The chemistry with her and Keith is great, as well as with the contestants. They should get rid of Mariah who does nothing but ramble on and on with out saying anything worthwhile.

8. Jake Thomas Says:
    April 17th, 2013 at 5:56 pm

People really only like to comment on what Nicki does or says just because people want to find any little thing to say about her. She gives incredible advice & judgment. She can be serious, but she also can give you that little playful side of her. YES she does roll her eyes SOMETIMES, but SO DOES MARIAH. If you’re going to try to chastise Nicki for doing something, you MUST do the same with Mariah when she does the same. If Nicki were not there, it’d be a season with no strictness, and strictness is exactly what contestants need, especially when they’re trying to get to where the judges are and have been.

9. nrathgaber Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 10:56 am

Nicki Mijah is the worst thing that could have happened to American Idol. She is an embarrassment to the show. There is no comparison between her and Mariah and should not even be on the same show. When I see Nicki, I feel like turning the channel to something else. UGH – to Nicki!

10. cheryl Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 11:44 am

I love the panel of judges this year. It’s a good balance. None of them have the same style of judging. Nicki has excellent constructive criticism which the constesants need to move on from week to week. Of course Randy, Keith and Mariah set off the balance which is needed.

11. Josh Roper Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Genuine and insightful. Sure, the eye-rolling at the other judges can get to be a bit much but so what. Such a refreshing departure from the other vapid judges who have so frequently filled those seats (ahem, Mariah Caray–what meaningful commentary has she ever provided).

I don’t get why folks don’t appreciate Nicki’s insights. People can’t seem to see past the style (which doesn’t bother me but I could see why it could others) to the substance.

12. Frankmar Says:
    April 18th, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Nicki, is about as trashy as her comments are. She doesn’t have half the class as Mariah does and sometimes I wondering if she’s reading her comment off cue cards. I pray her contract is only for one year and we don’t have to sit through another season of listening to her meaningless jibberish. Perhaps she should stick to making trashy music videos and leave choosing the next American Idol to the professionals.

13. Coins4Jewelry Says:
    April 22nd, 2013 at 3:40 pm

She has a very unique personality which is good for the show, whether you like her or not.

Comments