Project Runway Recap: Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Finale Pt. 2

April 25, 2013 09:13 PM by Donna W. Martin

This is it folks! The show down we’ve all been waiting for, Stanley, Michelle, and Patricia duke it out for the title on the season 11 finale of Project Runway. Who won it all? And who went home brokenhearted? Take the jump to find out!

As the finale episode of season 11 began, the three remaining designers had three days to finish their collections before hitting the runway. Tim gave them each a budget of $500 to spend at Mood for any last minute items needed to finish their work. They were paired with the same helpers as last week, Michelle and Amanda, Patricia and Layana, and Stanley and Richard.

Going in, Stanley had five dresses to remake, Michelle was looking to remove some flare and tone down her accessories, and Patricia was hoping to make her collection more cohesive with leather, maybe.

Each designer spent some time in makeup and hair consultations. Then Tim came in to take a peek at their progress. He loved Michelle’s new look but questioned her use of the compass and the bleeding heart sweater saying it looked like it belonged in a different collection.

Stanley had two pieces ready but Tim didn’t like them and said it looked like he had been shopping at a vintage store. He reminded Stanley he had tons of work to do. Then he took a look at Patricia’s work. He spotted the holes in her leather pants right away and told her she couldn’t send them down the runway like that. He encouraged her to make her collection more cohesive.

Later, the models came in for their final fittings. Stanley partially constructed some of his garments while they were on the models. He was really far behind.

The next day, Stanley was feeling a bit overwhelmed. Patricia had 500 sequins to sew on her garments. And Michelle was having trouble with a zipper. Then Tim came in and told them it was time to say goodbye to their helpers.

But he had a nice surprise for them. Their families came in to visit and wish them well. Then it was back to work. Patricia decided to keep the leather pants with the two holes in her collection and decided to create more holes in them to make it look like part of the design.

Stanley had so much sewing to do that it was ridiculous. Michelle stepped in and helped what she could. But Stanley still had four dresses and one top to make. Michelle was concerned that he wasn’t going to get everything completed because his eight other garments still needed work as well.

The morning of the runway, the designers had just two hours to complete their work. Backstage was a crazy and chaotic scene with lots of people hand sewing for Stanley. Tim was flabbergasted and said he had never seen anything like it in the history of Project Runway.

Then it was show time. Michelle was up first. She felt proud presenting a fierce collection. Tim said he was totally captivated. Next up was Patricia. She was very excited and said she felt like she had found her voice.

Meanwhile, Stanley was backstage, still sewing. But then time was up and he sent his collection down the runway. He described it as urban opulence and stood shaking as he watched the models walk.

After she show was over, everybody was buzzing about the collections. Some people thought Michelle should win while others favored Stanley or Patricia.

Then the judges meet with the designers to discuss their collections. Nina said Michelle had a phenomenal opening look and a consistent silhouette with lots of pieces that were interchangeable. And she loved the coat and bleeding heart sweater. Guest judge Michael Kors said he also loved her opening look and told her never to think she had to end a show with a gown. Heidi said the collection was very cohesive and that she had done a good job. And Zac said her garments were beautifully made.

Michael told Patricia her collection was fabulous but at first, he thought it was something an art teacher on an acid trip would present. But in the end, he loved it, and thought the horsehair was insane. Heidi said she was a fan of her clothing and liked that it was different. Zac said he loved the last look and the movement it had but that some of her textiles seemed older. Nina said she thought a few of her pieces were strong but others were a real disconnect and she needed to clean it up.

Michael told Stanley he liked some of his dresses like because they showed youthful sophistication. But he didn’t care for the last look and said it looked like Betty White on Dancing With The Stars…old and the length was from h*ll, Holly Hobbie. And the ring looked like an appetite suppressant. Ouch! Zac said the beading was very effective but the materials felt dated. Heidi said she noticed the quick sewing and wavy hemlines, and that the last look was too old lady. Nina agreed saying the last look was the weakest and that black pants should have been paired with the beaded top.

Before the judges dismissed the designers from the runway so they could deliberate, Heidi asked each designer why they felt they should win Project Runway. Stanley said he had a clear message. Michelle said she had unique creativity and a voice going toward the future. And Patricia said she thought she should win so she could continue to create and have a voice that had never been heard.

After the judges spent some time talking amongst themselves, it was time to announce the winner. Heidi told Stanley his collection was polished and had some special pieces but it wasn’t as modern as they would have liked. He was out.

Then it was down to the girls. Heidi told Michelle her collection was original with a strong point of view that was modern, confident, and personable. She told Patricia her collection was one of a kind and it was refreshing that she incorporated her heritage into her collection. And while it needed to be more cohesive, they understood that she marched to the beat of her own drum.

Then Heidi told Patricia she was out, which meant Michelle was the winner!

What did you think of tonight’s season finale? Were you shocked that Michelle won? Was she your favorite? Sound off in the comments and let us know!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook! Click here for more information about Project Runway. For other great reality TV news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: Project Runway.

Photo Credit: Lifetime

Topics: Lifetime Reality TV Shows, Project Runway |

11 Responses to “Project Runway Recap: Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Finale Pt. 2”

1. sally Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Staged the winner was chosen weeks ago

2. Stacey Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 10:47 pm

The judges should have had the courage the give Patrica the Win!!!!! She was clearly the winner, most women would be proud to wear all of her clothing, Shame on you judges, for not giving it to the really winner…… Why does youth and a diky edge have to get your attention…..ART IS THE WORLD AND SHOULD BE RESPECTED……… IS HAD THE BEAUTY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. stacey Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Women have Boobs, give me a break, Patrica was the clear winner….. you judges sold out …. I have watched loyaly from the beginning …. why did you rob Patrica this the first time I have disagreed with the outcome…. shame on you Neni… you disliked Patrica from the beginning,… get off the show to save it…. Patricia had the true vision and was the clear winner…… do what is right if this is the future I wish not to continue to watch the show………..

4. S white Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 6:26 am

I agree with Sally. This is all phony. Michelle was chosen far in advance, that is why she was given a second chance when she clearly should have been sent home. I’ve only watched this show for three seasons and I have seen them cheat people out of their win at least twice if not all three times, once with national attention. Patrica worked harder than anyone. And she had something new and refreshing to offer. How could you guys take it from her???

5. Jennifer Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 7:34 am

I was actually underwhelmed with ALL of them…but if I had to choose I would have given the win to Patricia. I think she did the most work by herself and some her her textiles were awesome! I loved Michelle’s sweaters (the heart and the wolf) but I seriously got a Hunger Games vibe from them…Stanley…what can you say..he just dropped the ball BIG time…

6. Maria Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 11:22 am

I have watched Project Runway every season and I thought this seasons contestants were not as talented as previous years. I like the team concept but maybe you need to screen the contestants a little more. I love Heidi’s wardrobe.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was underwhelmed.

7. Suzie Seamstress Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Patricia was the most creative designer and I was deeply disappointed that the prize did not go to the most talented.
    I have really lost faith in the show.
    I will have to find a new favorite show.
    I am truly sad.

8. Judy Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Surprisingly, I totally agreed with the judges on each designer. I thought Michelle was a standout from early on, and absolutely had the winning collection. The two friends I have talked to about the finale both said they would love to wear Michelle’s opening dress and her black coat. She has some fabulous ideas. I think her slashed down the middle tops would work better with a sheer fabric in between, but, for the models it looked very cool. I am so excited for her future!! I did love Patricia’s artistic, original point of view, and her amazing ability to create her own fabrics, but sometimes her clothes came off as too funky – unfinished looking. She did have some of the most beautiful standout looks, but for me, they weren’t consistently well done. I am very curious to see her future collections, though. I think Nina had it right all the way this time… She is the most astute judge of fashion they have, in my opinion. Though she is overly critical at times, I think she must need to be for her job, and I almost always agree with her. Tim, who is always my favorite part of the show, was even more wonderful this year. I just love that guy!!! Great end to the season, I think, but I would like them to have the contestants use unconventional materials more often. That really seems to push the creativity.

9. Marti Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 3:37 pm

The clear winner was Patricia, who puts her spirit and soul into her beautiful cultural pieces…which, in my opinion, are just as wearable, if not more, than michele’s. Her original fabrics, sequins, scarves, headdresses,quality of work were outstanding and connected with the audience. I know she will go far, and was disappointed that your discussions were leaning towards Patricia, and yet for commercial reasons you selected Michelle…thank you Heidi and Michael for thinking beautiful artistry should be rewarded.

10. jean Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 10:42 pm

I cannot believe that some of you thought that they were pushing Michelle. It was Patricia who was saved week after week when she should have gone home. Michelle had the clear talent and vision to do a collection and Patricia did not. I am sure she is a great textile artist, but maybe that’s her talent and not designing clothes. Stanley was a hot mess!

11. Steve Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 2:23 am

Michelle has gone through a real hero story this season, fighting battles and obstacles in order to be victorious at the end. I appreciated her win in several ways. More than any other designer, including Patricia, she demonstrated the ability to collaborate and communicate. Patricia was unable to communicate with any of her co-workers the thrust of any one of her garment’s vision. Down to the last day of competition, she was unable to share enough of her concept with her helper to let them feel like they were on her team. Michelle had a more generously sharing Spirit, which allowed her to build a tight bond with her helper, and cry when she left. The ability to communicate and team build has to be base line for working in the industry.

Having said what I admired about Michelle, I need to say that I really wanted Patricia to win. Her styling of each garment and its fabric was in a whole different world from Michelle, and in a different galaxy from Stanley. His collection didn’t belong on the same runway along side the two women with whom he competed in the final. But the emotional impact of Patricia’s collection was beyond the level of any I’ve seen on previous Runway final shows. I felt lucky to be watching when her collection came out. A stunning and magic moment!

Michelle is a fashion winner, who can turn out fashion for young, edgy women. She might be an asset to design house with a young audience. But Patricia has the ability to turn out collections that could change the shape of fashion for entire seasons, for women of many age groups. Her design artistry should be considered a fashion force. Her loss is a blow to both Project Runway, and to the world of fashion.

Conventionality won. Niña can put Michelle’s looks in her magazine. But how sad that Michelle won because Niña could fit her into a recognizable fashion niche. Patricia would have trail blazed new paths and new garment categories. She would have expanded the language of fashion and breathed fresh air into an insular world. This was a sad might.

Comments