American Idol Recap: The Dirt Being Splattered Around You

May 01, 2013 07:10 PM by Candace Young

Last week on American Idol, Amber Holcomb and Candice Glover found themselves in the bottom two, but received a stunning reprieve when Ryan Seacrest revealed that no one was going home!  The Top Four are mentored by Harry Connick Jr this week and will perform standards as well as songs from 2013 for a ‘Then and Now’ theme. Will the judges play nice tonight? Don’t count on it!

American Idol kicks off with Angie Miller once again tackling a Rihanna tune. In rehearsal, Harry Connick Jr was worried about her choosing to do Diamond, but was won over by her arrangement.  It was strange, but not bad, to hear such a heavily-played  song performed in a totally different way. Angie’s version is like a flowing love song with some vocal ‘moments’ thrown in for good measure. Keith gets ‘booed’ for saying he kept waiting for the song to ‘happen’. Nicki calls it bland and lackluster. Randy agrees it didn’t go anywhere, but likes her leather shorts. Mariah takes a very long-winded path to agreeing with the others.

Amber Holcomb‘s first song this week is Just Give Me A Reason by Pink. She begins singing slow and moody which is preferable to when she speeds things up. It becomes sort of middle-of-the-road and like an act you’d see on a cruise ship or something (shout out to Simon Cowell). Nicki felt like Amber wasn’t always connected – she was in and out. Randy agrees – she needs to let go and have fun – it was not stellar, and should be at this point. Mariah also wants to see the confident Amber, and Keith is a bit more forgiving, waxing on about how difficult it all is.

In a curious twist, Candice Glover has selected When I Was Your Man by Bruno Mars as her first song. Harry Connick Jr is a little weirded-out by her not changing the pronouns, but is okay with her doing it like she’s telling a story. At the beginning of her performance it seems it might not pan out, but once the showstopping vocals kick in, it ceases to matter what she’s singing – so talented! Randy shouts, “Yo! If you can sing, you can sing anything!” Mariah agrees – Candice has the musicality to change a song to suit her; it’s what sets her apart. Keith quips that she could have sang When I Was Your Giraffe… he calls it a winning performance. Nicki says it deserved a standing ovation and the judges get to their feet!

Kree Harrison is determined to connect with the audience tonight with Carrie Underwood‘s See You Again. Harry Connick Jr positively gushes over her arrangement, saying he likes it more than Carrie’s. Kree perches on a stool and sings her heart out. Her vocals are full and rich – love it! Mariah felt she was connected and authentic. Keith questions her staying seated for a power ballad, but says her voice is faultless. Nicki loved her performance – she sang with her eyes. Randy says she has an amazing voice and he felt her – he thinks she could do well in the country genre. Harry comes out to congratulate her personally!

Angie Miller is singing Someone To Watch Over Me for her ‘standard’, and dedicates it to her mom who sang it around the house all the time. Angie’s wearing a long gown and delivers a very traditional version with a big ending – it’s very Disney. Keith disliked the ending, but thought the rest of it was just beautiful. Nicki says she reminds her of a Disney princess (ha!), saying she could sing those types of songs on Broadway. Randy didn’t love the arrangement in the middle, but hollers that it was an amazing vocal! Mariah makes some technical comment that is somehow a jab at Nicki’s opinion causing a kerfuffle on the judges’ panel.  Mariah struggles to finish telling Angie to ‘shine despite the dirt being splattered around her’ before the music plays, while Nicki digs furiously in her purse and pulls something out, thrusting it at Mariah. Whew! Luckily it didn’t appear to be a weapon. Ryan rushes down to restore peace and confirm that dinner plans with the panel are still on.

My Funny Valentine is Amber Holcomb‘s choice for a ‘standard’. Harry quickly realizes in rehearsal that she doesn’t know what the song is about and fills her in. Amber takes the stage, and at first it seems it will be too serious. It does turn out to be intense, but the mood works and her vocals are incredible. The judges love it.  Nicki notices Amber crying and tells her not to think about votes – she’s a superstar! Randy thinks Amber made a believer out of a lot of people tonight. Mariah thanks her for bringing her spirit back bigger and better than ever. Keith talks about her confidence coming back.

Candice Glover is performing You’ve Changed tonight. It’s a moody, rich arrangement worthy of a smoky jazz club and Candice surprises me by going for an understated ending as opposed to the ‘big moment’ finale. Randy crows that she’s in it to win it! Amazing! Mariah says there’s no critique – she’s downloading it ASAP. Keith raves about her power and control – it was a great performance. Nicki adds nothing, telling Ryan to come on out.

Stormy Weather is Kree Harrison‘s ‘standard’ song choice. Harry guides her away from removing the melody from her arrangement in rehearsal. Kree comes out on stage and performs with a full orchestra. It catches the attention and has a strong ending, but didn’t have quite the intensity of the others. Mariah says she did a great vocal, it was clear as a bell and beautiful, but feels other songs may have allowed her to go more full out blues. Keith agrees in part but warns Kree not to let people get in her head so that she over thinks it. Nicki also mentions song choice – she wishes all of them would have focused more on that this week. Randy says they’re all saying basically the same thing. He thinks Kree would have chosen the more bluesy Etta version, but listened to Harry, who pointed her toward the Lena version. Harry comes up to debate the point with Randy and it’s a free for all for a moment or two – should Kree be Kree, Etta, or Lena? Gah! Harry winds up accusing Randy of making Mariah and Nicki look benign – burn!

Which contestant gave your favorite performance tonight? Who do you think will be in the bottom two this week? Sound off! We want to hear your opinions!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook! Click here for more information about American Idol. For other great reality TV news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: American Idol.

Photo Credit: FOX

Topics: American Idol, FOX Reality TV Shows |

20 Responses to “American Idol Recap: The Dirt Being Splattered Around You”

1. Millie Waters Says:
    May 1st, 2013 at 7:42 pm

It’s tiring seeing and hearing these four clown of judges fawn over Amber. She is not that great! And Nicki Minaj, what does she know about singing? She can’t sing, how can she judge? Get rid of these clowns!

2. Noelle Says:
    May 1st, 2013 at 8:07 pm

TOP3 this week- Candace
    Angie & Kree

Angie is the youngest and has such great energy, style and poise. I like her vocal style on and off the piano! Candace has super vocals & sings in a very classy manner. Her voice is powerful & good! Like Krees genuine and down-to-earth performances–very good singer!!!

3. Linda Says:
    May 1st, 2013 at 8:12 pm

I too am tired of the judges- it is so obvious that they are carefully choosing their words so much to steer voters into voting the way they want them to. My votes go to Angie! She is the all-round true artist of them all and will go far as an Idol.

4. MzLiz Says:
    May 1st, 2013 at 8:21 pm

No one came out and said it, but Kree’s choice of “Stormy Weather” was definitely off; this is best done by a black singer. Also, that Carrie U song is very blah. Love Kree, but she just is floudering with song choice.
    Candace was great tonight. ‘nuf said.
    Amber had done “My Funny Valentine” before. Nothing new.
    Angie’s “Someone to Watch over Me” was another knock out; IMO, this girl is the whole package.

5. Mary Pierce Says:
    May 1st, 2013 at 9:16 pm

The downfall of American Idol is the silly bickering of the unprofessional judges. A disgrace to the program!!!

6. Janet Says:
    May 1st, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Harry was right on his mark with his critique. Especially with Kree, who again didn’t follow through, boring, Amber and Angie did very well. Candace ruined a very good song, that second round. Harry needs to take over American Idol, he is the perfect guy for the job, he holds nothing back! Keith you came out better this week, some redemption there. Randy quit already, Candace again doesn’t listen to advice, that awaa after every note is just madness. good voice, just quit doing the awawa that killed you, Jimmy said it over and over, my top two are Amber, Angie, Kree should go next along with Candice

7. Janet Says:
    May 1st, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Harry should be the judge on Idol, he was right! Kree and Candice will not listen. Amber and Angie should be the top two. I think they confuse these girls, more then help them. Harry challenged them and he is the best singer I have heard, Sinatra voice. Be the judge dude, give us what you know we need.

8. Karen Says:
    May 2nd, 2013 at 6:48 am

I agree the top two tonight will be Angie and Kree- Angie should win this- would be very successful as an Idol. Please do not choose someone who will just fade away like some of the winners in the past- Ruben, Fantasia, Kris, Lee, Taylor, and Scotty. We need another Kelly or Carrie!

9. Marie Says:
    May 2nd, 2013 at 7:37 am

First of all, replace Nikki with Harry Connick Jr. as a judge next season. Nikki needs to go.
    Now to the actual contestants: I am one of those who wonders what the fuss about Amber is all about. She never impressed me much, she’s an OK singer and that’s about it. I loved Kree at first but as many have said, her beautiful voice is offset by her bland song choices and lack of personality. Angie has grown on me as the season has gone along, and Candice is my favorite. I can see a Candice/Angie finale (which I think is actually going to happen), with Candice perhaps beating out Angie by a very slim margin. Either of those would be fine with me, and even Kree would work. And just an observation: a “standard” song does not need to be embellished to make it sound current – that’s why it’s called a standard. Totally agree with Harry on that one.

10. Suzanne Says:
    May 2nd, 2013 at 7:59 am

I cant stand this show any more with them two at each other, i stopped watching it because of them two. it used to be a nice show, and i think it takes a toll on the singers to have to put up with them every week.

11. denese Says:
    May 2nd, 2013 at 8:12 am

Candace and Amber are incredible artist. With or without the title of American idol they will both succeed. This will be my last year to watch it. The judging has gotten progressively worst through the years. I think it’s the worst critique to blow smoke when there is no talent, but there is a lot of talentless successful people out there

12. paula Says:
    May 2nd, 2013 at 8:38 am

If Candice doesn’t win I’m never watching American idol again; it’s a joke!

13. david Says:
    May 2nd, 2013 at 9:19 am

Angie play your own song to shut them all up, my votes go to Angie!

14. Squirrellygirl Says:
    May 2nd, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I believe Amber is my favorite. I feel like Candice forces her voice too much and it can be too loud, too piercing. I like Candice but she needs to learn to control her voice better, hold back some, don’t always go full force. Angie is trying to hit high notes out of her range. She has a nice voice, but I do find her annoying, and wouldn’t buy her music. Kree is boring.

I don’t get all the Amber hate. I think she seems sweet, and I know this competition means alot to her, and that’s why she cried. Her father was crying because he knew how hard she is trying and how much it means to her. My Funny Valentine was epic. Loved it. For me, it is the only memorable song out of the 8 songs done.

15. Linda Says:
    May 2nd, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Angie is the one who will go far in the music business. So if they don’t want another dud- she needs to win!

16. Simply Viewing Says:
    May 2nd, 2013 at 2:50 pm

In my opinion they all have great voices and they all have had their downfalls. Candice has the most powerful voice in the competition. Kree has a beautiful voice but lacks the ability to choose a song to fit that voice. Amber voice is one of the best that I have heard in a while and will do well and Angie is ok….she needs to find a song that fits.
    Bottom line…. It really doesn’t matter who wins at this point.. they each will have a contract somewhere with in the next year. Look at Jennifer Hudson..she didn’t win but went on to become a powerful performer..
    Kudo’s to all and good luck.. you all are winners in my book.
    As for the judges.. it is what it is….someone made a wrong choice this year and will be paying for it with ratings.. who care if they return next year… NOT ME!! It isn’t about the judges anymore its about who we vote for… ignore them and chose your next Idol.

17. Bill Says:
    May 2nd, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Well here we go wow once again we vote racially instead of talent. As a 75 year old consertive white fan of the show the audiences voting this weeks a disappointment. Amber was screwed.
    WAKE UP AMERICA

18. Chelle Says:
    May 2nd, 2013 at 8:51 pm

When did Angie take center stage? She is mediocre at best. Her performances have not been consistent! Candice Glover and Kree are the real talents on that stage. The 12- 20year-olds may give their 50 facebook votes for the very common voice of Angie,I guess they are watching a Miley Cyrus bubble gum commercial. She does not compare to either one of the other two girls. Amber should still be standing! Angie should be long gone.

19. DeDee Says:
    May 2nd, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Well, I’m probably a bit different than most. To me, Angie has become my favorite of all the contestants. I believe Candice has a very good voice but I don’t like her overall attitude thinking she is better and I owe that to the fact that Mariah always talks about her being her favorite and eludes to their “secret” conversations and her “secret” conversations with Candice. SUCKS!

I still believe Kree is GREAT! She has not done well in choosing her songs and that has hurt her tremendously. I also believe that is because she has been given conflicting direction from the judges and has costs her dearly. As for Amber, she has grown a great deal and will definitely get some kind of deal but she isn’t the best and lacks the maturity of the others.

I truly hope that Angie or Kree win but based on how the judges are trying to make us all vote, it will most likely be Candice. That will make me truly sad because it will feel rigged. Even Keith, who originally was true in his judging, has swayed. Randy, Mariah, Niki and Keith ALL need to be replaced. Put some REAL judges in place, like HARRY! He is definitely, REAL!

20. blu lovin Says:
    May 3rd, 2013 at 9:08 pm

no one can sing like bruno mars and candice sounded horrible singing his song, he has his own mark on that song. Amber has a beautiful smile even while she sings and i prefer her over Candice and yes she can sing but screams at times & lacks personality, the judges have manipulated the season for a gal to win & want it to be Candice. Nikki Manji is very rude has no class like Mirah! Bring back Jennifer Lopez & Harry Conick Jr. would be great. We only need 3 judges! The final 3 should be Kree, Amber & Angie.

Comments